THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Embodiment of contradictions
 Post subject: Re: The brand new Q&A thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 am GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
They're spambots hun. There's like thousands of them.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

Go to my DA page.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Go to my DA page.
smarticus wrote:
They're spambots hun. There's like thousands of them.

I've counted a few dozen of them on this forum. They haven't once cluttered this forum with any spam or such, so they're pretty much waste of space.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:10 pm GMT 

CZProductions wrote:
They haven't once cluttered this forum with any spam or such

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:52 am GMT 

An eager new member with a few quick questions.

Would it be accurate to say that Rocky and Freckles are well on their way to becoming the next Viktor and Mordecai?
Many others before me have noted the contrasts and comparisons between Freckles and Mordecai. But I noticed how much Rocky and Viktor, in a way, are like opposite sides of the same coin. Although they deal with it in completely different ways, both are essentially "a bundle of nerves" and like "electric wire with all the sheathing stripped off", even how they react with receiving debilitating injuries is pretty similar.

Could you give any hint as to how Freckles and Ivy's relationship will develop? I really love the chemistry between them and am looking forward to it in the coming pages.

Please could you go into a bit more detail about the relationships between Mordecai and Mitzi, and Viktor and Rocky?

Have Nico and Serafine ever disagreed or argued over anything?

In 'Introductions 3' who is the cat on the far left in the photograph?

Many Thanks and Looking forward to Vol. 2

Book Cooker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:36 am GMT 

Custom Title: Book Cooker
Welcome to the forum, and potentially the comic! I'm not Tracy, but I'll field what I can. :)

Unless Rocky takes a substantial number of beatings through his life I (fortunately) don't see him becoming like Viktor. Thank god. :) I also don't see Freckle becoming as tightly-wound as Mordecai. I kind of see what you're going for, just don't really agree. YMMV!

I don't think Tracy's going to give spoilers, and I'll admit Freckle-Ivy doesn't do a lot for me anyway. :)

Regarding Intro 3, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about, you're talking about Zib. Yeah, he's evolved over time. :)

Award-winning fan-fic:Serve and Protect

Want more Viktor/Mordecai? Lackadaisy: Missing Linkage.

"I might know something about a wiki."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm GMT 

Zib's done a bit more than evolve since then, the change has been astounding. From concept to now he looks like an entirely different beefcake cat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm GMT 

doniago wrote:
Welcome to the forum, and potentially the comic! I'm not Tracy, but I'll field what I can. :)

Unless Rocky takes a substantial number of beatings through his life I (fortunately) don't see him becoming like Viktor. Thank god. :) I also don't see Freckle becoming as tightly-wound as Mordecai. I kind of see what you're going for, just don't really agree. YMMV!

I don't think Tracy's going to give spoilers, and I'll admit Freckle-Ivy doesn't do a lot for me anyway. :)

Regarding Intro 3, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about, you're talking about Zib. Yeah, he's evolved over time. :)

What I mean is that the mentality of Viktor and Mordecai are in them respectively. Just how they deal and cope with it are vastly differnt.

Freckle and Mordecai are both proficient fighters of a heavily withdrawn, neurotic nature and some pretty strong murderous tendencies.
Unlike Mordecai, who is essentially a sociopath who uses his obsessive-compulsive behaviour to keep his murderous streak in check, Freckles is essentially a good-natured person who is horrified by his own murderous streak, which he is unable to control and sometimes only just able to repress.

Rocky and Viktor, are both pretty much a live wire bundle of nerves.
Again, how they channel it differ completely - With Viktor, who hails from a family of laborers, it comes through through as violence (both physically and in temperament). Rocky, on the other hand, it manifests itself in his often intense, maniac and scatter-brained mindset.

That's my take on it anyway.

In regards to IvyxFreckle, it might not to the most tempestuous relationship, but what I love about it is both that innate sweetness between the two of them (kinda like an oasis) as well as having the potential to pretty dynamic and interesting in the future.
Also, I love the way how the two characters just bounce off each other.

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 am GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Quote:

Hi. Welcome. =)

Quote:
Would it be accurate to say that Rocky and Freckles are well on their way to becoming the next Viktor and Mordecai?
Many others before me have noted the contrasts and comparisons between Freckles and Mordecai. But I noticed how much Rocky and Viktor, in a way, are like opposite sides of the same coin. Although they deal with it in completely different ways, both are essentially "a bundle of nerves" and like "electric wire with all the sheathing stripped off", even how they react with receiving debilitating injuries is pretty similar.

Well, yes, it's probably obvious that Viktor and Mordecai were the old guard and Rocky and Freckle represent the new. Whatever other parallels or mirror facets they might possess is left a bit more to personal perspective. I like your analysis and appreciate that you found room for scrutiny there. I feel there are lines that can be drawn between Rocky/Mordecai and Freckle/Viktor as welll. As much as I enjoy rambling on indulgently about my characters, though, dropping my opinion directly on top of any potential for future discussion probably only detracts from the story. I ought to allow that to do the talking and leave it to anyone interested enough to do the considering.

Quote:
Could you give any hint as to how Freckles and Ivy's relationship will develop? I really love the chemistry between them and am looking forward to it in the coming pages.

It's simple, uncomplicated affection. It's not terribly deep (at least not as yet), perhaps not destined to last, but with any luck, it'll at least demonstrate to Freckle that there's more to life than the maddening, guilt-addled exercise of appeasing the two domineering angel-devil family figures perched on his shoulders.

Quote:
Please could you go into a bit more detail about the relationships between Mordecai and Mitzi, and Viktor and Rocky?

Mordecai and Mitzi have spent a probably unhealthy amount of energy fixating on Atlas and it's rendered them something akin to rival siblings. In the past, Mitzi played social interpreter for Mordecai when she wasn't busy teasing him for the very same social shortcomings. For one who prides himself on his effectiveness, it has bred a certain amount of additional resentment. For yet undisclosed reasons, he also levels some blame in her direction for what happened to Atlas. She's of course hurt that he turned his back on her, crippled the last of her soldiery and then, to add insult to injury, robbed her while she's struggling to maintain Lackadaisy like some sort of monument to past love (an embarrassing, sentimental charade if you ask Mordecai).
There's no animosity more bitter and enduring than familial animosity.

For Viktor, the only thing worse than Rocky being insufferably incompetent is Rocky being ruthlessly competent. It comes with a side order of desperate, shortsighted flair, after all, which nearly got him (and everyone else) murdered. Viktor doesn't mince words - he thinks Rocky is dangerous. Rocky, at least superficially, respects and extols Viktor, but clearly also recognizes him for his usefulness. He managed to pinpoint just what motivates Viktor to keep doing what he does and used it to wrest important information from him when Viktor had more justification than ever to do what his better judgment keeps telling him to do (to Rocky's cranium with a wrench).

Quote:

Among themselves, all the time. Among others, they generally make a point of presenting a unified front.

Quote:

Zib. The character designs have evolved over time, some more dramatically than others. Ugh. They all look wonky to me in that old artwork.

Quote:

Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 am GMT 

Tracy wrote:
Quote:

Hi. Welcome. =)

Quote:

Well, yes, it's probably obvious that Viktor and Mordecai were the old guard and Rocky and Freckle represent the new. Whatever other parallels or mirror facets they might possess is left a bit more to personal perspective. I like your analysis and appreciate that you found room for scrutiny there. I feel there are lines that can be drawn between Rocky/Mordecai and Freckle/Viktor as welll. As much as I enjoy rambling on indulgently about my characters, though, dropping my opinion directly on top of any potential for future discussion probably only detracts from the story. I ought to allow that to do the talking and leave it to anyone interested enough to do the considering.

Quote:

It's simple, uncomplicated affection. It's not terribly deep (at least not as yet), perhaps not destined to last, but with any luck, it'll at least demonstrate to Freckle that there's more to life than the maddening, guilt-addled exercise of appeasing the two domineering angel-devil family figures perched on his shoulders.

Quote:

Mordecai and Mitzi have spent a probably unhealthy amount of energy fixating on Atlas and it's rendered them something akin to rival siblings. In the past, Mitzi played social interpreter for Mordecai when she wasn't busy teasing him for the very same social shortcomings. For one who prides himself on his effectiveness, it has bred a certain amount of additional resentment. For yet undisclosed reasons, he also levels some blame in her direction for what happened to Atlas. She's of course hurt that he turned his back on her, crippled the last of her soldiery and then, to add insult to injury, robbed her while she's struggling to maintain Lackadaisy like some sort of monument to past love (an embarrassing, sentimental charade if you ask Mordecai).
There's no animosity more bitter and enduring than familial animosity.

For Viktor, the only thing worse than Rocky being insufferably incompetent is Rocky being ruthlessly competent. It comes with a side order of desperate, shortsighted flair, after all, which nearly got him (and everyone else) murdered. Viktor doesn't mince words - he thinks Rocky is dangerous. Rocky, at least superficially, respects and extols Viktor, but clearly also recognizes him for his usefulness. He managed to pinpoint just what motivates Viktor to keep doing what he does and used it to wrest important information from him when Viktor had more justification than ever to do what his better judgment keeps telling him to do (to Rocky's cranium with a wrench).

Quote:

Among themselves, all the time. Among others, they generally make a point of presenting a unified front.

Quote:

Zib. The character designs have evolved over time, some more dramatically than others. Ugh. They all look wonky to me in that old artwork.

Quote:

Thanks for reading!

Thank you so much for replying :)

Out of curiosity does Viktor actually like Rocky? I mean, we see that he doesn't downright despise him (the wonderfully snarky 'spaghetti noodle' conversation).

Also, please don't say that IvyxFreckles won't last! You'll cause thousands of IvyxViktor shippers to die of joy-induced heart attacks XD

O the horror!

The real-life Freckle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The real-life Freckle
Have you hidden any hints to plot details within the marginal/unsuspecting spaces of the comic? I may have noticed one...

The real-life Freckle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 pm GMT 

Also, I noticed in your extra feature, Mordecai Faces, Mordecai is shown to be wearing regular glasses, rather than pince-nez. I don't recall seeing him wear these anywhere else, but I haven't scoured the comic. Does he wear them on occasion, or was this an unusual case?

Book Cooker
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am GMT 

Custom Title: Book Cooker
Looking at the art now, and it looks to me like he's wearing regular glasses as a child, but nowhere else, though I do see some shadowing suggestive of glasses in a couple of the other poses.

Award-winning fan-fic:Serve and Protect

Want more Viktor/Mordecai? Lackadaisy: Missing Linkage.

"I might know something about a wiki."

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:32 am GMT 
Administrator

Quote:
Out of curiosity does Viktor actually like Rocky? I mean, we see that he doesn't downright despise him (the wonderfully snarky 'spaghetti noodle' conversation).

Hehe. No. No, he does not like Rocky...but he knows Rocky is about the only noodly thing standing between him and involuntary retirement to the 'gallery of paisley and regret'.

Quote:
Also, please don't say that IvyxFreckles won't last! You'll cause thousands of IvyxViktor shippers to die of joy-induced heart attacks XD

Aww.
I was just commenting on the nature of teenage romantic entanglements, which often end up being trysts more than devoted engagements. I wasn't making statements about what will necessarily happen. =)

Quote:
Have you hidden any hints to plot details within the marginal/unsuspecting spaces of the comic? I may have noticed one...

Do you mean penciled notes I did a bad job of erasing? Or contextual hints within the comic that might go unnoticed? The answer to both of those is yes (although in the case of the former, I think it only happened once). =P

Quote:
Also, I noticed in your extra feature, Mordecai Faces, Mordecai is shown to be wearing regular glasses, rather than pince-nez. I don't recall seeing him wear these anywhere else, but I haven't scoured the comic. Does he wear them on occasion, or was this an unusual case?

Quote:
Looking at the art now, and it looks to me like he's wearing regular glasses as a child, but nowhere else, though I do see some shadowing suggestive of glasses in a couple of the other poses.

If I had gone with human character designs for the comic, I'd have likely depicted him now and then wearing conventional glasses. I imagine he'd actually be in possession of both types. As it happens, though, glasses weren't designed with cats in mind. Their ears are more on top of their heads than on the sides, so the temple and earpieces proved quite awkward too include. You might also notice that Wick's reading glasses have earpieces when he's drawn as a human, but not as a cat.

The real-life Freckle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm GMT 

Tracy wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean penciled notes I did a bad job of erasing? Or contextual hints within the comic that might go unnoticed? The answer to both of those is yes (although in the case of the former, I think it only happened once). =P

I suppose that wording was a little vague. Have you placed any hints in the current comic to future plot happenings that we don't yet know of? Of the one I'm thinking, I'd show the exact page here, but I think it would be better to keep everyone else searching and thinking.

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:35 pm GMT 
Administrator

Oh. Yes. With some of the upfront information and some of the less obvious or innocuous seeming details (which I think are the hints you're referring to?) combined, I think it's possible to extrapolate more about the story than has been directly told so far.

I don't mean to imply reading the comic needs to be like an Easter egg hunt for the important things, though, or that it's a Chekhov's gun sort of situation where every single detail is plot imperative. The detail all matters as far as I'm concerned, of course, but lot of it is there for anyone who happens to notice and for whatever additional dimension it might add to the characters and the world they live in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next