THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:14 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lackadaisy Calinda
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:54 pm GMT 

NO one has yet started a "Calinda" topic yet so we may verbally scream wildly at it like 1964 Beatles fan girls?!

Well then I'll just have to start it my self.

And first thing I wish to say is; as someone who once worked as a Night Bellman at a major Hotel, I never got to see a party like this! Oh I saw some strange things yes, but nothing of the Savoys level. (And again, I never get invited to parties like this. (Which may be why I'm still alive.))

And it brings up questions such as
- who is this new girl saying "Hi" to Mordecai?
- how many steps are there in the "Mordecai" dance? Can anyone learn it?
- Oh Tracy, you caught me with a musical song I did not know. Which version of it is it? And since it is apparently often a fiddle song, does Rocky know it?
- Is this the same as the modern Allons Danser Colinda as sung by Edith Butler?
- are you related to Edith Butler?

As to the massive gushing about the lovely artwork, I shall leave to others to do. I mean, I could do it, but I'd like to share in the fangasm. 8)

Where's Poland?!
 Post subject: Re: Lackadaisy Calinda
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 am GMT 

Custom Title: Where's Poland?!
How did I miss thiiis.

It's all excellent!

Ah, I adore all the details, and the lovely contrast between Mordecai's and the Savoy's personalities and behaviours. Watching Mordecai get gradually more and more disconcerted and displeased is also a wonderful thing.

I'm also disproportionally happy to see Mr. Bow-tie next to Serafine again. I don't know why. And all the background people! All the background!

*screams wildly like 1964 Beatles fan girl*

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Thanks for the comments! =)

Quote:
- who is this new girl saying "Hi" to Mordecai?
- how many steps are there in the "Mordecai" dance? Can anyone learn it?
- Oh Tracy, you caught me with a musical song I did not know. Which version of it is it? And since it is apparently often a fiddle song, does Rocky know it?
- Is this the same as the modern Allons Danser Colinda as sung by Edith Butler?
- are you related to Edith Butler?

-Well, we can call her 'Somewhat Jilted' for now.

-However many it takes to frantically avoid coming into bodily contact with another living thing.

-It's an old folksong, so there are multitudinous versions. It's Cajun but has an interesting history tracing back to Africa. It wasn't recorded until the 1940's, though, so before then, it probably wasn't widely known outside that cultural region. There's some information about it in the description at the bottom of the comic page, and I've written some more about it in response to a question here.

-Variant of the same song, yes.

-Uh...distantly, maybe. Not to my knowledge, though.

Prowling about...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:16 am GMT 

Custom Title: Prowling about...
Mordecai is as gloriously awkward and out of his element as I thought he would be.
... I can relate.

And guh, jesus fudging christ, Serafine is so goddamn cool. I will aspire to make my apartment look that ambient, creepy and mystic. Well, without the chickens running around, no doubt crapping all over the place. And minus the party-goers. I'd take the snake, though.

Very much looking forward to the continued adventures of the Heller-Savoy partnership, which, by the looks of it, is heading towards sweet, glorious disaster.

In the place before the bass!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm GMT 

Custom Title: In the place before the bass!
Great to see an update! Lackadaisy never lets me down.

I honestly think it's the best story I've ever read (and I've read Shakespeare, Verne, Bront√ęs...)

I realized the other day randomly that Mordecai's impeccable black suit/white hat combination stemmed from the colors of his fur.

I dropped my thing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 am GMT 

Custom Title: I dropped my thing
Somewhat jilted....for now.

For now.

*HEAVY BREATHING*

Page was absolutely gorgeous as usual. Holy shit Serafine is a gigantic baddass. I want to be at that party.

Whenever I see hits go up on my Mordecai fics I know Lackadaisy updated, lol. Wonderful way to wake up. No, seriously, I'm moving today, and I hate moving, and this page seriously gave me the will to live this morning. TY Tracy :-)

That is all.

A Good Man : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5491932/1/A_Good_Man

From Russia With Love: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7201633/1/From_Russia_With_love

Crazy Cat Lady
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Crazy Cat Lady
Long ago, watching TV as a little girl, I watched the old Adam West Batman get lowered over a tank full of death by the Eartha Kitt version of Catwoman. In that moment, I knew who I wanted to be when I grew up, because I seen her on TV.

I may be older, and sadder, and perhaps a little wiser now, but I still occasionally get that feeling sometimes. Looking at Serafine in this particular instalment of Lackadaisy is one of those times. 8)

Damn fine work there, Miss Tracy!

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:02 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Quite superb. I'm looking forward to a bit more time from the Savoys, should be interesting.

I'm also amused by how they can offset Mordecai so easily; doesn't seem like they even have to do anything aside from be themselves.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

The real-life Freckle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 am GMT 

Custom Title: The real-life Freckle
This is a great update, I love this hotel party environment so much. That gator head is an awesome, accurate touch.

I'm really excited to see more, as always!

I dropped my thing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 pm GMT 

Custom Title: I dropped my thing
I was really happy to see Mr. BowTie as well! He reminds me of Tim Robbins somehow. Actually everyone at that party seems to have a distinct personality, which is one of many things that are wonderful about Tracy's artwork. Everyone is alive in her backgrounds.

I especially like these people:

Really this whole page is a treasure trove. I just re-read Lackadaisy again. It's just so well thought out. All the characters are so well-written and their personalities / expressions so beautifully rendered. Tracy has this intimate, deeply felt way of rendering. I assume Tracy is a spectacular actress, because I can see how fully she experiences what her characters are experiencing.

For example: this. The amount of stuff going on here visually is mindblowing. He is the perfect blend of cat and person insofar as movement, and his expression is different in every pose, meaning Tracy has him going through an actual thought process. It's just so incredibly alive, and it's alive in a way so little comic art is.

And yeah uh while we're talking about visually mindblowing characters HOLY HELL THESE PEOPLE:

What I love about these two is how wildly different they look than anyone else in the cast, yet Tracy totally masters them as well. Again, spectacular acting. I especially love Elsa. Her elegant and solemn and wilted manner just destroys me. Shes angelic, but one of those stern old-fashioned Bible angels that deliver important messages and smite the unjust. With her adorably sweet roly-poly little husband who obviously loves her more than life itself. I have so much fun imagining how that relationship works, what their conversations sound like. I imagine he makes her laugh quite a bit.

Also "Sophistry" ruined my life. Just sayin.' With their dueling intellects Mordecai and Rocky would make the baddest broTP, but for shame, it will never happen outside of "what if." And speaking of visually mindblowing, I very almost seriously considered this as a tattoo for like two whole minutes. I know that doesn't sound like much but I have absolutely no desire to actually ever get a tattoo, so in order for something to make me want one it has to be pretty damn spectacular:

Failing a tattoo I would buy the living hell out of a print of just that frame.

Anyway this comic is gorgeous. I am never sad to wait for an update. They are always and without exception absolutely worth it. It's clear that Tracy is not willing to give anything less than her best quality work to Lackadaisy, and refuses to shortchange it even if it means infrequent updates. As someone who's followed this comic since 2007 I deeply respect that. I've watched it grow spectacularly more beautiful over time, but it's always been joyous just to look at. It's the place I go when I need to see something beautiful and it has been for years.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a big gush-fest over Tracy, but that's what ended up happening, so ya'll will just have to cope :P

A Good Man : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5491932/1/A_Good_Man

From Russia With Love: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7201633/1/From_Russia_With_love

Benevolent Order of Barcats
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:54 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Benevolent Order of Barcats
It has been ages since I last viewed Lackadaisy but on seeing the latest comic I just had to dust off my turntable and Kershaw LPs. Laissez les bons temps rouler!