THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:39 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Warren Perrin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:48 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
So here goes, my first character. He's a little bit everywhere, and he might need a bit of refining, but he's mine, and I like him.

Name: Warren Perrin
Aliases: “that weird guy with the glasses”
Species: Cat-man, like a Sphinx cat, but with short hair instead of hairless.
Birthdate: 11 Jan, 1903 or some such time as to fit into the Lackadaisy timeline.
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 143 Lbs
Build: Slight, and wiry.

Origin: Born in Toronto, Canada. Lived there part, until the age of 14, when his parents moved to St. Louis in the USA.
Languages: English, French (Fluent)
Occupation: Son of a rich family, and a student of Chemistry and Botany at the St. Louis University. Also dabbles in the forbidden art of Liquor-distilling.
Ethnicity: English-Canadian

Eyes: Brown, Nearsighted with round-rimmed glasses.
Hair: Black, worn slicked back as societal norms would deem.
Scars: None.
Fur/Markings: His fur is a uniform grey all around, except for his hands, which tend to be stained purple from Iodide.

Attire: Warren wears well-tailored black suits when social protocols dictate that he has to wear them, but on a casual day one could find him wearing olive-coloured working-class vests and Oxford bags that his parents would find appalling. In the lab (and the distillery) he wears a lab coat that has seen its fair share of spills and spontaneous ignitions.

Accessories: Glasses, large backpack/Satchel/Research-worn notebook
WOC: Acids? Reagents? Things he concocts in the lab? Mustard gas in a jar? Fun Chemistry things.

Appearance: With a strong jaw and an angular face, he can be a bespectacled Prince Charming when preened and prepared for an event. Peel him out of his ritzy suit and put him in his usual Olive green vest and one of his garish argyle ties and we see a more realistic Warren. Most clothing that he finds comfortable drapes over his wiry frame like an unstuffed scarecrow. Numerous stains cover the cuffs and sleeves of his otherwise pristine white shirts from all manner of reagents and chemicals from his home lab. Warren’s long-fingered hands are constantly adjusting his smudged glasses.

Personality: To the casual onlooker, Warren is every bit the genteel son of a rich family. In a social gathering Warren quiet and aloof, but not because he is trying to be mysterious or secretive.
In truth, Warren is a curious sort. One that is more interested in things than people. The world in his eyes is full of fascinating secrets that are waiting to be discovered. Outside of social gatherings, Warren tends to be quiet, and somewhat shy. Once one gets past the shy exterior, they will find that he is a very passionate and animated person. Get him talking about his research and will ramble incessantly about any project he is currently working on. Similarly, he will also aggressively market his illegitimate products to those who will buy them.
Finally, his controlled upbringing gave Warren a rebellious streak. His rebellious nature shines when he can sneak away to a speakeasy, or into his personal lab, where he distil-I mean experiments to his heart’s content without prying eyes watching over his shoulders.
Special skills: Looking Sophisticated (when the need arises), Naming all the elements of the Periodic table, concocting spirits of unique flavour.
Weaknesses: Doesn’t understand women. Not at all. A complete enigma for Warren. He’s also rather weak. Warren will also take drugs, not so much for the recreational effect, but more from an analytical standpoint (he still gets silly when he’s on them though)
Fears: His parents wrath when they find out about his distillery, the concept of actually killing someone, never actually finishing his degree, being alone forever.
Likes: Jazz, the whole “Underground” world, scientific discussions and debates, fine wine, Field journaling, Dancing (though he’s terrible at it) and learning he LOVES learning.
Dislikes: People who put on a façade to appease others, thugs, guns, and horses… especially horses.
Religion: Originally Catholic, but after giving it some though, he is now Atheist (but don’t tell his parents)

History: Warren is the first and only son of John Perrin and Isabel Lestraud. From the beginning, his parents thought he was destined for greatness; preening him to be the successor to his father’s booming Gold mining industry. They brought him to every social event and gathering, teaching him all of the particulars of etiquette and formality. He learned to, golf, exchange pleasantries and run a business over the course of his young years (but failed miserably at horseback riding, to his parents disappointment). He hated every bit of the process.
Feigning interest, Warren would begrudgingly bear his parent coddling. When he could squirm his way out of their grasp, Warren would spend his time in the expansive library on the estate, reading all sorts of books, ranging from naturalist logs to anatomy texts to the shallow romantic novels his mother so adored. Warren consumed knowledge with an unending hunger, ever the curious scholar.
At 14 his family moved to the USA. “Better prospects, better connections, better business” as his father would say. The move wasn’t tough. His life in Canada was a sheltered one; living on the estate, being ushered from event to event, and being homeschooled from a young age. The living quarters his family acquired placed him in the dead centre of St. Louis: a perfect place for a young boy to get himself into trouble. In the following years Warren was prone to coming home bruised, dirty, tussled, or otherwise dishevelled, mostly due to his naivety and his overly inquisitive nature, but his parents were blissfully ignorant of this. They were too enthralled with their “shining star of a son”… that is, until he told them that he wanted to go to university to be a Botanist. This revelation disturbed them, where was their little business prince? Hoping that this was “merely a phase”, his parents acceded and let him attend the St. Louis University, and let him live in the dorms.
At the university, Warren dabbled in all sorts of interesting fields, both academic and otherwise.
He consistently placed in the upper percentiles in his classes, and decided to major in Chemistry, and Natural History (essentially the Botany course of the era). Outside of the academia, Warren discovered the night life, and in a fit or rebelliousness, joined some of his acquaintances in attending a speakeasy.
After that, his schooling took a backseat. He still attended courses, but his grades fell. Instead, Warren’s focus turned to more interesting and illegal fields. Using his parent’s ample funds, he bought a small property where he set up a lab. On the surface, he tinkered with isolating an assortment of research projects. But hidden in the basement was a full of Indian hop plants, Poppies and a sophisticated distillery.

Orientation: Heterosexual
Love Interest: Knowledge is his wife and mistress, but he would like meet someone at some point in his life.
Quotes: “Impurities? I prefer to call them “unbound factors’! They add to the flavour.”
(Theme Song: TBA)

What do you think? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Criticisms?

Last edited by Webwood on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:06 pm GMT, edited 4 times in total.

Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
 Post subject: Re: Warren Perrin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:39 am GMT 

Custom Title: Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
Oh lord. My character Theodore (in my signature) is called 'the awkward guy with glasses'. These two could become really good friends XD

And I do mean just friends, he's taken currently (and both characters are straight, after all). But they both share a fascination with the scientific world, even if Theodore got forced to become a lawyer...

I've already commented, and I don't have any concerns, or criticisms, or even questions :P You've got a nice, rounded character here. Knowledge is good, but in itself a curse in these sorts of RP settings, especially if they try and use it round gangsters.

Once my exams have finished, I could always look into starting a thread between the two, or even a three-way RP, since I'm sure Warren would probably want a lady involved somewhere XD

Fitzgerald Bakara- The heavy-set Jamaican who's a real momma's boy.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:45 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
Hey, not everyone is a gangster. I have plenty of non gangster characters. Mind you, some of them are dating gangsters...BUT NOT ALL OF THEM >.> And my smartest character is a drugged out secretary....

Ahem...anyways. He's lovely. If he is 24 in 1927 (which is when Lackadaisy takes place, as does 90% of the RPs) he'd be born in 1903, not 1901. Not that it really matters, as long as you and your partner(s) note the year and their ages. :)

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:08 am GMT 

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. My intent with Warren was to make the "Nerdy Rich kid with a rebellious streak". Maybe I missed the mark a bit, I may try clean that up a bit in the character template here.

Anonymous, I would totally be down to try out an RP with you, although I've never tried it out on an RP forum before (I'm more used to IRL RP's that are DND-esque (In particular, I played GURPS)), but I'm ready to learn!

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:36 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
I don't think you missed the mark at all. I can see that completely. It is very clear.

Edit: as for doing written, play-by-post rping, I don’t believe it's thay hard to adjust from table top to it. Just gotta remember there's no dice and no DM, at least not here usually.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:29 am GMT 

Custom Title: Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
Webwood wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. My intent with Warren was to make the "Nerdy Rich kid with a rebellious streak". Maybe I missed the mark a bit, I may try clean that up a bit in the character template here.

Anonymous, I would totally be down to try out an RP with you, although I've never tried it out on an RP forum before (I'm more used to IRL RP's that are DND-esque (In particular, I played GURPS)), but I'm ready to learn!

Not a problem about the input! I agree with Artemis, you have achieved your goal.

I'm somewhat of a new RPer also (in any format), this is the only site I've ever done it on, and I also had 18 months break from it so my post count isn't high. We can learn together!

Fitzgerald Bakara- The heavy-set Jamaican who's a real momma's boy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:45 pm GMT 

Sounds good Anonymous, I'm pretty free most of the time now (other than research things) so if you have any ideas send me a PM (or some such thing)!

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 am GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
He is glorious. Can't wait to see him in action!

I'm an adult now! I think?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 am GMT 

Custom Title: I'm an adult now! I think?
Man he seems like a hoot, like a giant kid with a large chemistry set.

Characters