THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

is dead, long live Royale!
 Post subject: Joining Things?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm GMT 

Custom Title: is dead, long live Royale!
What's the procedure you cats and kittens have for jumping in on someone's illegal-liquor-based party? Newbie here, btw.

Ahoy!
 Post subject: Re: Joining Things?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
Hello hello! Things are a bit slow in the forum at the moment, but new faces are always welcome. Allow me to refer you to Arty's FAQ/role-playing guide, where she explains in a thorough and excellent fashion:

Artemis Selene wrote:
Now there are lots of ways to go about getting in the flow of things.

1. Make your own or join in an 'Open' thread in IC. If you look around the IC Discussion forum there are a fair number of threads with things like ((Open))¹ at the end of the title. That means that the thread is looking for players and characters for the plot. What the OP does is establish a setting in which it is open for other people to show up and interact with the OP's character(s).

It's always a good idea to ask before joining a new thread as the OP may have a specific kind of character interaction in mind that they wish to explore. The best thing to do is then PM the OP so the role play itself isn't cluttered up with OOC talk. Though, if you wish to, you can reply to the thread in OOC buy using double parenthesis, (( )), like this: ((May I join?)). Or something to that affect. Around here, a thread is considered closed to more characters/players it if has gone past the first two pages or so. Though many people will still be open to you joining. If it has gone past the first two pages, the best thing to do is to ask to join before you come in and possibly interrupt the flow of the plot.

¹ There are also threads marked with someone's name in them as well. Those are closed threads between just two people, made just for them and aren't open for any new players or characters.

2.Look around the Character Archives or the OOC forums. Sometimes you won't be able to find an Open thread that catches your interests. So you can look around other places for other people to RP with.

(a) In the Character Archives, there are loads of characters you can find to interact with that will suit your own character. After having a look around in there, you can either PM the character owner, or make a comment on that character's thread saying that you would be interested in a role play with them. And things shall go from there.

(b) In the OOC forum there are a few threads that are very often trafficked by other RPers. There is the So bored, it hurts along with the Looking for... thread that are both great places to find other people looking for new RPs. They 'So bored, it hurts' is a general looking thread when you're bored and you just want something to do. The 'Looking for' thread, conversely, is when you have something in mind that you already have an idea for and are looking for other people for that idea.

You may of course, post your own thread looking for new RPs, but for the most amount of traffic, either of those threads would be a better bet.

Also, if you're looking for a place or other characters who might share a certain type of romantic interests we have the List of IC Locations along with the LGBT Character/Place Index and it's straight companion.

Around here, most people tend to roleplay in closed groups of two people. Though group threads (three or more players) are not unheard of, just rather uncommon.

Now I've found through my own experience that group threads have a tendency to fail or lose interest quickly around here. But that's not to say that they cannot work at all if everyone puts in the effort. Again, in my experience, it has worked better for me if there is an established turn. In table top gaming, and most video games I've played, there is a turned based set up where there is always an order in which things go, mostly for attacking purposes, but I feel that it works the same for normal posts as well. What I mean by turns is that it always goes in the same order unless agreed upon by the members of the thread so that way no one feels left behind by other people going on for pages without them.

Also, because we tend to role play in such small groups, there is no forum wide plot that everyone adheres to. On occasion there are forum wide gang wars that most of the gang leaders and members join in on, but since the type of role playing that is done here is mostly everyday kind of thing s(including action, adventure, shootouts, and just people falling in love) there is no real need to know what's going on in everyone’s threads. By all means, you're welcome to keep up with other characters and plots, but it's not something that is organized like that. Though some people do like to put timelines in their character thread so as to follow along in order of the happenings.

is dead, long live Royale!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:43 am GMT 

Custom Title: is dead, long live Royale!
Why, thank you, Mr. Dvorak. Much appreciated.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
In addition to the above: some people will have worked-out plans and such for their threads, while others will be much more relaxed-- there shouldn't be any harm in sending a PM to the thread-starter to see if another roleplayer would be welcome. :)

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".