THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

sucks.
 Post subject: Re: New Steampunk RP - Anyone interested?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 am GMT 

Custom Title: sucks.
Artemis Selene wrote:
Ether wrote:
To get back on the topic of what this steampunk RP is going to be about concept-wise, I'll offer some ideas.

Steampunk isn't always that sort of setting. Especially the addition of the 1950s American sort of thing. But yeah. :P So you're talking almost tropical sort of city? A warmish sort of place and not something further north and possibly colder during at least half the year?

I will still admit that I'm in the non-anthropomorphic camp.

Cars can easily be electric wired and steam powered still. I mean, in some respects, they'd have to be. So instead of a gas powered combustion engine, it'd just be steam as well. If you can make androids work on steam power there is no reason that a car can't.

I think it'd be cool if the guns weren't just gunpowered bullet ones. But perhaps other sorts of sci-fiy kinds of guns as well. Experimental, but there nevertheless. But magic and what not being more underground, I'm totally down for.

And I will also still admit, not fond of heavy gang wars. But as long as we're not all forced into that, I'm happy with it being in the setting.

I just put the idea of mixing in some 1950s American influence out there because I wanted to try out something relatively new for the genre. :P

For the climate, yeah, kind of something like that. Not too tropical, of course, but a relatively warm climate nonetheless.

We don't have to do anthropomorphic species for the RP, but I thought of mixing humans with anthros to kind of satisfy both camps that would want one or the other.

I agree that the cars can be electric-wired and steam-powered at the same time. (I'm not an expert on steampunk, so that's why I didn't really mention that in my other post.) I also agree that we can add more variety to the kind of guns that would be used in this RP.

The heavy gang war angle isn't mandatory unless you want your character(s) to be involved. It'll just be part of the whole idea.

Since I'm active for the most part (at least for the next six months or so), I could help lead this RP if you guys want me to.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 am GMT 

Custom Title: is a spider-child
Wow, so much to respond to! That's a lot of details, Ether :)

Personally, I was so looking forward to the possibility of snow! I like snow! XD Guess it's in my genes to do so, haha, but... but I mean steam and snow. So much atmospheeeerrrre. I like a lot of the other stuff, but I would really not mind to skip the 50's vibe and the anthros. And just... snooooow.

To be honest, when I first initiated this (with the help of Hecate) I was... really just thinking basic steampunk. I never thought it would all need to get complicated at all! No GMs/leaders, just a world inspired by ours with basic steampunk. But yea, now I'm going to sum things up in a way that might make it easier to respond to.

- No GMs or leaders or people in charge. Of course, if a few want to do something with a gm, that's all cool, but the world should be open and things that drastically affect the whole of it needs to be discussed.
- Snow. Snow and steam together just... so much atmosphere! This means I wouldn't mind a more northerly setting. There could still be beaches however, just maybe not palm trees.
- Keep the setting inspired between late 1800's to 1930's.
- Humans and androids and the like. I would prefer no anthros, but if there are those that really badly has to play something non-human or non-android/automaton-ish/somesusch I could go with it if they were very humanoid, it feels a bit... sci-fi-ish though.
- The presence of a monarch and nobles adds extra tension since the society would be more clearly divided (a class society and all). Also, not being American I don't really know a great deal about your Senate etc. so it... would make me rather crippled. But I suppose the same might go for those that don't know much about democratic monarchies.
- Magic, ok, but characters could perhaps have the choice not to believe in it?
- Could we perhaps tweak the names? I don't know how common it would be for an occupied country be the "united" republic of anything, unless they took on the name of the occupying force. It also feels a bit as though Omari and Santa Josefina clashes a little. One is more fantasy to me and the other more California to me. But that's just a thing that comes with associations we acquire through life and attach to different sounds and words and way to put words together etcboringstuffIwastoldinUniveristy. They aren't bad! I just have different associations to them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm GMT 

Sorry for my little tantrum.

I just felt like the post was dead, and i came in and tried to start it again, and felt responsible for it. people who were interested before me just started coming back after i tried to bring it back, and i was just upset that it was being taken back out of my hands.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
I still say we keep it as simple as possible. This way it's easy for everyone/anyone to jump in and know what's going on in the world. If we could settle on a whole world (easiest I'm thinking is an alt Earth) than we can have both tropical and warm, and snowy and cold? I also agree with Northern that the names don't quite match with each other. But that's little details :P

As for magic, perhaps we could do something like magic in this world. It might be real, it might not be. We don't know. So if your character practices magic, it wouldn't be something that every character would believe in. Maybe even to the point of not even believing what is shown to them right in front of them. A decent compromise?

Blameless wrote:
Sorry for my little tantrum.

I just felt like the post was dead, and i came in and tried to start it again, and felt responsible for it. people who were interested before me just started coming back after i tried to bring it back, and i was just upset that it was being taken back out of my hands.

It's alright, but some of us felt the same way. We might have decided it was a better idea to just let it fizzle away than keep poking it. But it was ours first and then you just suddenly come in, ignore not only everything we said previously and then continued to ignore everything we said after. We didn't want to take it out of your hands totally, we wanted to share holding it with you.

So I'm sorry if we were a little blunt with you, but we just wanted it to succeed this time, and succeed in a way that all of us, you and all of us who'd been around before, to have fun.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

is dead, long live Royale!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm GMT 

Custom Title: is dead, long live Royale!
Evening, ladies and gentlemen. I just thought I'd pop by because I find my self more than a bit interested in getting this airship off the ground, as it were.

I'm not entirely sure we need a whole world, just the place we're in and surrounding areas (the Evil Occupying Forces if we choose to have them, etc.). I'm also not entirely sure how magic would fit in - would it perhaps be like religion on Earth? Would we have religion? Can it coexist with magic or is magic a fundamentally separate sphere? Questions, questions! I'm inclined to agree with whoever it was who said that magic would be a taboo subject, heavily stigmatized by the general population; that could add another dimension of conflict on top of the different sides of the war, nobility vs. citizenry, etc. I also like the idea of our country being a monarchy, because monarchies are cool.

And there's my two cents. Let's do this thing eventually!

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am GMT 

See, I'm fond of having the ability to go on adventures in my steampunk stories. Not that adventures can't be had in small areas, but whole worlds give me a lot more to work with. It isn't make or break for me, but I think it'd be wiser to have a richer culture to draw from as well. One thing that always adds tension is foreigners. And we can't have rich (in character sense) foreigners, without the rest of the world. Unless everyone would be alright with anyone who made a foreigner making up their own stuff?

As for magic: Magic often comes hand in hand with steampunk settings. Steampunk is one of those sub-genre's that floats between sci-fi and fantasy. There's a certain level of 'magic' in the sort of science that gets done in steampunk worlds, even if it is all science. I don't think it'd be like religion or anything like that. Just there, something that exists. Like people with natural talent to like sing or something. If we wanted to do it like that. Or not at all. Or whatever.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 am GMT 

I think I have recalled another thing that we disagreed on last time; magic. XD I would rather like there to be some sort of established rules for magic, if we really need it in the world. Magic has a tendency to be abused, especially if it's just going to be thrown around without guidelines. Even us that don't want magic or don't want our characters to believe in it will have a hard time avoiding it if some characters are going to go around casting spells that make things fly, heal wounds, throws people around in fights etc... And if there is a set group that can do just about anything with a flick of the wrist, then either they would most likely have managed to take the power in the country, or they would be under strict guard from those that can't do much.

So, yea, I think we need to establish what it is that's desired when one talks about magic, especially in a world that I imagine would be very centred around science since steampunk tends to be such.

is dead, long live Royale!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:42 pm GMT 

Custom Title: is dead, long live Royale!
IIRC we were mostly in agreement about FMA-style alchemy, it was just that quite a few of us weren't exactly up on how it worked. If that could be explained/tweaked a bit, do y'all think it would be a good system?

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 pm GMT 

Instead of trying to explain FMA alchemy, why don't we just toss magic altogether? This way, there's no confusion, no over powered characters, no one having an advantage or being forced into a situation with a character that is a magic user while their's doesn't believe or whatever. Just normal steam tech and that's it.

Treasury Department
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Treasury Department
Sorry if I'm being a bit of a jerk here, but any chance this thread could be picked up elsewhere on the forums? As it is, when viewing the forums it keeps looking like there's new News, when in fact that's not the case.

Thanks!

Award-winning fan-fic:Serve and Protect

Want more Viktor/Mordecai? Lackadaisy: Missing Linkage.

"I might know something about a wiki."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am GMT 

I'm afraid we can't do much about it! Poke a mod if it bothers you, they can move it, but I think the thing is that it's a sticky thread that causes it to show in "News". But I mean, every time someone comments on something in Comic, it could look like there are new pages when in fact there isn't, and then I just mark them as read... But yea, the mods can fix it, as long as I can find this it doesn't matter to me. :)

Treasury Department
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 am GMT 

I meant to suggest that a new thread could be started in place of this one, but anywho...

I've been marking all posts in News read to no effect. You may be right that the issue is that it's a Sticky.

I'll poke the Mods, thanks.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 am GMT 

It's a Global Announcement is what the problem is. So it shows up in news but the only way to make it so there is no unread threads in news is to actually click on the thread itself. Marking them read won't do any good as it doesn't 'live' in the News section at all really. Hecate can easily movie it to a stick in the OOC/ICALT only, I'm sure. There is zero need to start a new thread.

Treasury Department
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 pm GMT 

Not sure whether you intended to sound a little snippy there, but you kind of did...

If the goal is to avoid having it appear that there's new News when there is not, starting a new thread in a different subforum would resolve that issue. That's what I was getting at.

Having this thread moved is obviously an alternate approach. I did notify the mods, so hopefully there will be an update at some point.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 pm GMT 

I didn't mean to sound snippy, sorry that I did. And I'm sorry that this response is probably going to sound snippy too.

But I don't think we should have to move our discussion somewhere else, starting a whole new thread, just because it's bothering you to see an unread thread in the News section. I get that it's annoying. I really do. I don't know why Hecate decided to make an RP thread into a global announcement, but she did. So as I said before, there is zero need for a new thread just for your convenience. Just let Hecate change it out of a global announcement, which I'm pretty sure she can do.

Edit: look she did it, or some other mod. Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next