THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Re: Canes, Hops and Sundry ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:11 am GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
Warren finished his thought before he answered the man’s first question, “No, I’m merely an undergraduate with research experience. All of my funding comes from the Sciences department though, so if the Madam knows people in that area I could lose some wealthy benefactors.” The worry about Warren’s funding was almost tangible in the air around him. Although he was wealthy, Warren knew that his parents wouldn't willingly fund his academic endeavours without sound business related reasoning.

The man’s commentary was a bit more abrasive than Warren was used to, but he seemed genuine. He chuckled at both himself and the upper class, “Haha, I suppose that those 'rich toffs' are rather drab and prudish. I hoped that I had moved past that since my departure from that community.” Other than these occasional forced outings, Warren tended to avoid the rich upper class; it was too much façade and insincerity for his liking.

Thinking for a moment, Warren decided that he may as well end the evening on a less sour note, even if he had to spend it with this louder, boisterous fellow. “I would enjoy that greatly, thank you kindly.” Warren added, “And yes, I do happen to be one for the whole “Illegal Tipple” as you call it.”

I'm an adult now! I think?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm GMT 

Custom Title: I'm an adult now! I think?
Ewan smiled brightly once again at the return of the other's friendly nature. He suited a smile so much better than misery. He gave his aquintence's shoulder another firm pat then shifted to curl his arm around the fellas shoulders.

"Great! Well if you were going to hail a cab it would be for the best, all the good speaks I know of are on the other side of town and I don't think my legs would stay on if we walk that far." He chortled, his lighthearted nature quickly returning.

"So a student hey? Uh hope you don't get any strife like you described, otherwise there's nothing I can suggest, that is unless you were looking to do some manual labour." Ewan said followed by a short uncomfortable laugh, obviously still sorry and now worried over the prospect of the young fella suffering over his overly talkative self. "That or some more illegal misadventures."

Ewan walked alongside the other man, letting his arm drop from around his shoulders. When they got to the road he shifted onto his toes as if it would help him spot a taxi. "Uh, never introduced myself, apart from madam back there catawailing my surname. Name's Ewan Philips, and you are?"

Characters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:23 pm GMT 

When Ewan placed his arm over Warren’s shoulders, Warren stood uncomfortably, then carefully lifted the other man’s arm and removed it from his person, “Yes, a taxi would be most preferable with your…condition?” Warren looked at the man’s current stance, noting the manner in which he stood and the apparent weight he placed on his cane. Looks like the bones were not set correctly after the injury, I couldn’t be sure though. His curiousity took over then, and he asked, “If it wouldn’t be too impolite to ask, but might I enquire for as to how you managed to injure yourself in such a fashion?”

Warren chuckled at the thought of manual labour. “Ha! With my physical ineptitude? I doubt that. I think I’d be better suited as a bookkeeper for some mediocre business of some sort.” If mediocre was considered a multimillion dollar mining franchise Warren thought to himself, remembering his eventual obligation to take over the family business. “Illegal misadventure wouldn’t be the worst career path to choose. Besides, one could pick a felony of lesser intensity with which to obtain income.”

“Warren Perrin, a pleasure” Warren responded, moving to arms-reach and extending a hand in greeting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:27 pm GMT 

Ewan felt no hurt by the other's move, merely shrugging and tucking the now free hand into his tux's pants pocket.

"Sure would be." He said with a smirk, ears pricked up as he continued to keep and eye out for a taxi. At the other man's question, his ears twitched and he couldn't help but let out a small uncomfortable chuckle as he glanced down at said 'injury'.

"Uh well, not sure you'd be wanting to hear that and I'm not really sure I'd like to tell you anyway. Let's just say I upset some people while working a couple of years ago and I've had to use this thing ever since." Ewan said lifting his cane and indicating it with a shake before setting it down and leaning his wight onto it once again.

Ewan's smile stretched wide with the man's admission of his physical abilities or the lack of. He seemed the sort, the tux cut him well and most probably hid plenty of sins but Ewan could tell he was more of a book type, especially now he'd had the chance to talk more with him.

"You seem the well learned type my friend." Ewan stated, "Sure you'd be able to weasel yourself out of trouble, doesn't hurt being rich as well." Ewan said knowing it was well beyond cheeky to do so, his elbow gently nudging the other man's arm.

Ewan eyed the outstretched hand and grinned, stepping back also and tucking his cane under an arm. He grabbed a hold of the offered hand and pumped it up and down enthusiastically.

"Pleasure's mine Warren pal."

Characters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:04 pm GMT 

“Ah, well I’m sorry for your…um…loss” Warren said, glancing away and clearing his throat. The other fellow’s unease was readily visible to Warren, so he dropped the topic of his injury promptly.

Ewan’s comment about intelligence helped bolstering his still somewhat dour mood. “Thank you, Ewan. I’m sure that some sensitive discussions and well-worded letters will at least soften the socio-political blow that we’ve sustained this evening.” Warren thought that his parents’ reputation would be able to sustain this particular blow. He knew that he’d done things worse than this before. If anyone found out what unscrupulous things I do in the lab… He shuddered internally, thinking about the catastrophic fall from grace that his family would face if anyone found out about his side-projects.

The handshake was a tad more vigorous than expected, but Warren took it in stride. Releasing the other man’s grip, Warren stood back and proceeded to wait for a taxi.

“So, where is this particular establishment you mentioned? I know only of a token few properties that are frequented by university students.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:12 pm GMT 

Ewan frowned a little once again, he was still sorry for his putting Warren into such a bad situation that he felt he owed the fella. Though Ewan wasn't sure what he could really do to fix things, he was sure he'd at least treat the kid to a grand old time.

"Well depending on yer fancy Warren, I know a few places down the way. They're just as fun though you'd been in less danger of having this fine thing ruined." Ewan said with a gentle tug on Warren's lapel. "Ah! I know there's an open speak nearer than the docks, open all night, had some pretty hard hitting stuff that can lay you out pretty good, they cover up the taste pretty well to. Better than they do at the petal at least." Ewan laughed as he spotted a taxi and leaned out to hail it.

Characters

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 am GMT 

Warren thumbed the lapel Ewan recently touched, slightly offput that he would have to wear this outfit to a speakeasy. Too bold, I’ll stand out like contamination in a pure culture. He wished he had the foresight to bring a spare change of clothes just in case he wanted to make an early departure from the event. He thought to himself, “Well, at least it seems like this man knows of a place I won’t stand out too badly.”

As the taxi rolled to a stop beside the two gentlemen, Warren added, “That would be most preferable, Ewan. I wouldn’t enjoy having this suit ruined by some overly intoxicated party-goer.” He opened the door to the cab in a vary formal fashion, gesturing to his partner to enter, “After you Mr. Phillips.” Warren waited for the other gentleman to enter the vehicle, then followed in afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:41 pm GMT 

Ewan settled into his seat then called out directions for the driver. When they arrived it was in a quieter part of town but it was well known that there was a small cluster of bars hidden within a stones throw of each other. Ewan levered himself from the back of the car and paid the driver after a quick check of his money, sure that the amount left over would be enough to have a grand time.

"This way and let me do the talking okay?" Ewan said as he walked on, the taps of his cane echoing down the sparsely occupied street. They came to an outdoor flight of stairs that led to an small unassuming music shop, which despite having a closed sign in the window, the door was open and Ewan led the other man through towards the back to another door which Ewan knocked in a deliberate rhythm.

Characters