THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Re: A Little Outing ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:29 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
“Undoubtedly. There’s actually a movement right now with regards to the ‘Forced evolution’ concept. Eugenics: the artificial selection of the human species with the objective of improving humanity’s genetic stock.” Warren continued, intensity leaching into his voice, “Virility, intelligence, longevity, reflexes; any trait could be selected for. Possibilities are limitless. We could have people bred…honed… for science, sports, warfare, anything!” A bit of doubt crept into Warren’s tone,” Unfortunately, the politics of the idea would be maddening.” Warren looked pensive for a moment, then added, “What governing body would have the ability to selectively tell these independent bodies whether or not they can breed? Worse, who decides what traits are considered desirable? Or undesirable?” He contemplated the topic a moment longer, the pause allowing him to pull out his notebook and jot some of his ideas down about the topic as a whole.

Tobias’s interjection during the lull in Warren's rant pulled him out of his contemplative stupor. “Oh, you speak of the play about 'organic' robots? I haven’t had the pleasure to attend that particular play yet. Though I don’t frequent plays very often, the particular theme of that one has my interest piqued. Have you attended a showing? How is it?” When Warren wasn’t working on assignments or in the lab, he did occasionally enjoy reading of an alternate, technologically unique world.

He smiled sheepishly at the compliment about his papers. “Well, thank you kindly Tobias. Getting these particular papers published is quite challenging. It is hard to change the opinions of the scientific community on the topic of drug side-effects.” He slid the copy of the manuscript over to Tobias, “Here, this is one of my rejected drafts, feel free to review at your leisure, I have a new draft that will hopefully be accepted this time.” Warren was a little disheartened by the rejection of that particular paper. He had worked so hard on validating the results of his experiments, but the drugs he was researching were both controversial: one due to its illicit nature, the other due to its importance in the medical industry.

Warren’s ears perked up at the mention of a potential buyer. “Actually, I have been looking for a buyer for my particular drink. Do you have some idea as to who would be interested in buying my particular distillate?” Warren always hoped someone would be interested in stocking his product. He hated living off of his parent’s “modest allowance”. He wanted to be able to fund his projects without having to lie to his parents about what he spent their money on.

Mit Musik geht alles besser!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:17 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Mit Musik geht alles besser!
Warren's reservations on eugenics caused Tobias to nod in agreement. It was indeed a tricky thing, and there were alternatives. When such alternatives would become viable, however, was not so clear.

Pleased at Warren's knowledge of R.U.R., Tobias recalled the performance at St. Martin's Theatre in London. He had been away to mainland Europe for nearly a month, and Mr. Townsend -- his employer and dear friend -- had arranged for them to attend the premiere. They had enjoyed that evening immensely.

"It was simply sublime!" he said, beaming and folding his arms. "The play touches quite well upon the idea of inherent equality through sapience, while maintaining a reasonable summarizing position on the injustices of human irrationality and egotism. Of course, it also touches upon the idea of artificial evolution, though it doesn't quite apply the concept to humanity itself. I wouldn't want to spoil the plot, but I will say that the production is a masterpiece; I highly recommend it."

Tobias accepted the rejected manuscript from across the table, his expression one of mixed gratitude and curiosity. "Oh, my... thank you very much!" he said as he viewed the title page. "Hmm... yes, this should be quite a good read. It's not every day I'm treated with such a delicious tidbit from the world of academic research." He looked up, his eyes lively and intrigued. "You have my sincerest thanks, Mr. Perrin."

Warren's interest in making a profit brought Tobias' business side to life for a moment. "Well, let me see... there is someone I have in mind immediately, just a moment..." he reached into an inner jacket pocket and produced a notepad and pencil, his mind running through the details. "This particular individual should be willing to engage in a transaction, if I'm not mistaken." He quickly wrote the name, address and times of operation. "He's been looking for a fresh addition to his lineup of beverages for a while now, and a certain someone has been discouraging him from making any bank-breaking purchases." He neatly tore out the page and passed it to Warren. "Keep in mind, he's a bit desperate," he added, smiling mischievously. "If his starting offer seems unsatisfactory, a little haggling might do you some good."

An ongoing project dedicated to collecting Jazz and Swing music from the 1920s through 1940s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 am GMT 

Tobias’s exuberance about the play he previously mentioned made Warren chuckle. “I’ll have to find a showing of that particular act sometime soon; it sounds like a delectable performance!” Warren’s experience with live theatre had a bumpy start.

He remembered his parents dragging him to a number of bland, petty shows repeating the same theme: Lower-class woman despondent, woman meets man of her imaginings, they partake in an evening of glamour and romance then live happily ever after. Life is never that simple. The woman just met the man, how can they know that the relationship will be fruitful in the long-term? Idiocy, blinding idiocy. His opinion of theatre was improved when he left to school where he had the choice to see shows with themes and plots of his liking.

Warren returned his acquaintance’s smiles in full, appreciating the fact that someone else in this underground establishment appreciated science as much as he did. “The pleasure is mine, good sir. It’s not often that I have people other than my supervisors read my papers. It will be a refreshing change to hear the opinion of someone that isn’t trying to critique every sentence in the article.” Although Warren did enjoy getting people to read his papers, he could never miss out on an opportunity for some work to be done. “That being said, if you could add some critiquing notes on the paper I wouldn’t be ungrateful. As I said, an alternate point of view can catch things that someone else might miss.”

The idea of actually selling spirits had Warren both excited and hesitant. He had always contemplated the idea of selling his alcohol, but never actually thought someone might enjoy his concoction enough to actually purchase it. Fortunately, Tobias’s confidence in the business-end of bootlegging helped mitigate Warren’s doubts. Warren took the note from Tobias, adjusting his glasses and reviewing the name and address on the page. He flipped through his notebook and began transcribing the information onto a purple-stained and water-damaged page.

“Goodness Tobias, I’m not complaining about gaining this information, but that is some rather sensitive information about your client. Isn’t there some sort of ‘Employer-client’ confidentiality that we might be breaching?”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:08 pm GMT 

At Warren's request for criticism, Tobias nodded obediently. "I would be glad to help in any way I can, Mr. Perrin. Indeed, two heads are better than one, as it were... er, most of the time, in any event."

Warren's concern at Tobias' seeming lack of discretion caused the part-time bookkeeper to chuckle. "Well, Mr. Perrin... if there happens to exist such an unspoken agreement, this would be the first time I'd heard of it. And to tell you the truth, even if I had contractually agreed to something along those lines, I would be more than willing to break it for someone such as yourself. In earnest, I consistently find myself surrounded by people who, quite frankly, are incapable of understanding the majority of what we have discussed this evening. In short, you are -- for lack of a better phrase -- a breath of fresh air, Mr. Perrin," he nodded once in recognition, a light smile on his lips, "and I'm more than delighted to have made your acquaintance."

The dancers slowed as the final few seconds of the slow-fox melody gracefully played out. The patrons of the speakeasy again broke into applause, softer this time but powerful all the same. Tobias joined in somewhat after the fact, his attention turning momentarily from his conversation with Warren. The various dancers made their way off the floor in twos, the men walking the women to their respective tables, as the bandleader bowed and a few musicians paused for refreshments.

Tobias turned back to Warren, a somewhat inquisitive and curiously-shy look on his face. "Actually, if you, ah, don't mind my asking... how can I reach you? I can give you my contact details, if you like."

An ongoing project dedicated to collecting Jazz and Swing music from the 1920s through 1940s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:58 pm GMT 

Tobias’s reassurance about business protocol let Warren relax somewhat. Warren still thought the whole process was unscrupulous, but that was the nature of some businesses. He recalled a conversation he overheard between his father and a particularly stodge client.

”Mr. Perrin please. You can’t expect me to lower my quote any lower. I’ll start losing money if I take that price!” The portly man sat in a lush chair across from father’s cold marble desk, obviously irritated at father’s proposition.

“Surely you jest, Mr. Bellamy. The offer has both of our interests in mind: I obtain a majority share in your company, and you have the assurance that the authorities will never know of your…side project.” Father grinned, bearing his teeth like a predator circling in on its prey. “Now I’m sure we can have this meeting come to a comfortable conclusion for both of us, right Mr. Bellamy? Now if you would be so kind as to sign these forms here…”
Warren hated the manner by which his father manipulated people, but he did see the merits of collecting secrets and using them for personal gain.

A grimace crossed Warren's face at the thought of having to be conniving to sell his beverage, but Tobias’s good-natured and friendly response quickly raised his spirits. “Thank you, Mr.Forstner. This truly has been an exemplary evening, and you are quite right; it has been a refreshing change to be in intelligent company. I doubt many of the people in this room would be able to follow our intellectual and sophisticated exchange.” Warren returned the smile, glad to find another individual with which to converse and carouse (even if Warren’s definition of ‘carouse’ was a tad bland by normal standards).

Warren’s frowned when the music stopped, somewhat disappointed that the music was temporarily over. Tobias’s question and expression made Warren chuckle, “I suppose an exchange of information might be useful if we are to meet again.” Warren reached into his bag and pulled out a spare sheet of paper, writing his address for his dorm and lab on it in his tight, slanted script. “If ever you need to contact me, feel free to leave a note at my lab or by my quarters. I’m terribly predictable, so if you really need to find me just check those two places. I do not tend to deviate from my usual schedule.”

Warren slid the sheet over to Tobias. His curiosity about the establishment he was to do business with, “So since we have broached the topic of business intrigue, might I inquire into the reason why the establishment you mention is having such a hard time making a profit?”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 pm GMT 

Tobias jotted down his own address details on a notepad page and slid it to Warren before accepting the information. "There's my current apartment address. Not exactly in the best part of town, I know, but it's economical: inexpensive and close to work. I'll try to notify you whenever I move from one place to another. And you already have my current place of work."

Warren's inquiry made Tobias pause and look at the ceiling in momentary thought. "Hmm... I would attribute the majority of the issue to lack of experience. The gentleman who owns the establishment is, as they say, 'new money.' I'm not exactly sure about the other people he hires, but an educated guess says they're unrepentant sycophants." He shook his head in mild disgust, sinking a bit in his chair. "A shame, really... so much wealth -- ergo potential -- gone to waste." He smiled weakly: "Heh. I almost feel obligated to say something."

He playfully shook a finger. "Almost. But of course, I'm there to perform a particular range of tasks, and I do so without questioning his decisions, however questionably-sound they may be." His expression was wistfully regretful, as if he wished to cast a net to rescue thousands of drowning banknotes, but could not.

He sighed heavily, then lightly shrugged his shoulders. "Ah, well... one does what he can, right? Or, perhaps more accurately, what he must." The last three words turned his thoughts to the opportunists and survivalists, who, he knew, were everyone, and not just the leeches at the wealthiest table.

Including me, he thought, a sudden feeling of dread -- practically horror -- rushing through him. He shook his head again, this time as if to clear it of darker thoughts. "Life," he said, his expression one of tired annoyance. "There always has to be something... wrong. It can never be perfect."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 pm GMT 

Warren listened intently to Tobias’s review of his current employer, growing ever more uncomfortable with the prospects of doing business with them. He pitied Tobias’s employer; someone that was having their dreams crushed by uninformed decisions and poor investments.

“The poor fellow. He really seems to be ‘digging himself a hole’ so to speak” Warren said, looking sympathetic to the man’s situation. “Yes, I suppose your obligation to do your position precedes your wishes to help the man, but if he really is making such poor monetary decisions would it not be your job as the bookkeeper to mention it?”

His empathy for the man was sincere, but the mention of “doing what one must” and perfection caused Warren’s mind to whirr. He sat up, taking his glasses off and cleaning them with a scrap of fabric that regretted working for a clumsy researcher.

Warren began to ramble, partially to Tobias and partially to himself, “Perfection: something that we as creatures of order strive for. But how can there ever be perfection in the world? We are constructs created by the random recombination of chromosomes, which tends to lead to the creation of imperfect, strange beings. How can something so imperfect, such as myself, create a perfect world in which everything is right and good? We can’t, but the processes of nature try to do something similar.”

“Natural selection” Warren said; gaze somewhat vacant as he replaced his glasses on his face, “The process by which nature creates creatures that are reliably optimized for their particular ecological niche. It is as close to perfection as we can get. This man’s apparent parasitic relationship with those he hires is merely selective pressures in action. Your employer is obviously not designed to be a bootlegger, and so is being consumed by parasitic sycophants that one who actively lives that particular lifestyle would easily avoid.”

“That being said, organisms don’t live in a 2 creature system isolated from others. In a natural environment other organisms: mutualists and commensialists and whatnot, help improve the health of the host by helping mitigate the effects of the parasites. You, as a mutualistic symbiont, could assist him of ridding himself these pests.”

Warren blinked, coming out of his logical stupor. He frowned, and then gave Tobias an apologetic smile, “My apologies for that little tirade, it was a tad macabre, wasn’t it? But does it not have a hint of truth? Though we try to separate ourselves from nature with our constructs and cars and houses, we are still part of that bigger system, subject to its processes and protocols?”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:00 am GMT 

Tobias listened intently to Warren's exposition, smiling inwardly all the while. He saw in this man a reflection of himself: logical thought progression, spoken aloud in a manner others might have termed a "rant." Not necessarily spoken in another's presence, either; the tone and mannerisms Warren used were characteristic of someone who frequently delivered such a deluge of reasoning not only to other individuals, but alone and to himself.

When the analysis was complete, Tobias smiled gleefully. "Oh no, no don't apologize. That was beautiful! And there is most definitely truth in that, I concur!" His tiredness seemed to disappear for a moment, as if replaced by some sudden rush of relief. "All of us are animals, no less subject to nature's whim than all the other organisms around us. People who pretend to be anything other than the flawed, instinct-driven beings they are..." His eyes fixated on the floor behind Warren, his expression cold. Then he looked up at Warren, his expression turning as warm as ever. "We have to do our part, right? We must try to help them, try to provide them with knowledge. That's why we're here: to make things better for everyone. Because everyone deserves better at some point in their short, painful existence."

Tobias removed his own eyewear and massaged his sinuses. "I've told him what I think, you see. But he's the kind of man who doesn't like to be questioned. And these... wolves have actually gotten him to believe that they're sheep! It's an absolute travesty." He paused to fit his pince-nez, then sighed lightly. "It's hard. To think of all the things that could be done with such resources, only to watch them go to waste in fruitless endeavors. So wrong." His tiredness returned in earnest for a moment, before he seemed to cast it aside in favor of company. "I shouldn't worry about things like that, though. It's no use to fret over something that you can't change."

But let's be honest, Tobias: there are very few things that you can't change. Isn't that so?

Be quiet.

It's only the truth. You have the ultimate decision, do you not?

You're wrong. I said go away!

Tobias showed nothing of his inner conflict, smiling lightly as he normally did. "I hope you don't mind my asking, Mr. Perrin, but, ah... when did you first realize that you weren't like the others? Intellectually, I mean." His pose was gracefully inquisitive, his right hand curled into an ornamental rest for his chin and right cheek. "An odd question, I know; forgive me if I'm pressing. I just don't get to have these sorts of conversations very often, if at all."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:07 pm GMT 

A look of confusion passed across Warren’s face. Tobias’s compliments caught him completely off guard. Usually when he wandered off on one of his tangents people either ignored his comments or smiled and nodded along, eyes dull and not comprehending a word he said.

A younger Warren walked along his parent’s manicured estate. ”Mother! Did you see that flower over there? It was quite peculiar: it only had petals and sepals, Mother? Isn’t that strange?” he said, pointing with his free hand towards the hedgerow nearby.

Warren`s mother pulled on his other hand, drawing his attention away from the flowers. “Not now dear, your father is trying to show you how to properly mount a horse, pay attention.”

“But Mother…”

“You pay attention.” She snapped, “We won’t have our lovely son incapable of riding horses. Imagine how you will look, all dressed up and sitting upon that noble steed over there.”

His befuddled stare turned to a grin. “It seems I am in truly sophisticated company then! I’m not often in the presence of one who actually listens to my tangents and understands them.”

Warren continued, adding to what Tobias said about human nature, “Yes, people who see themselves as being ‘outside’ of nature tend to be those who are most affected by its influence.” The cold expression Tobias affected made Warren curious, but not enough to ask what the man was thinking about.

“And yes, I concur. We as knowledge-seekers should be trying to better society by helping make complex scientific discoveries understandable and applicable to those not able to obtain such an education as ourselves. In the end, that goal in and of itself should help mitigate the relative pain we experience in our lives.”

Warren thought for a moment, considering the idea of a painful, hard life, “Yes, life can be bitter, but at least we are experiencing it, living it each and every day. There are many who have not been given that chance, whether by random illness or an unforeseen demise. We should prove ourselves lucky that we have this chance to live, breathe, and prosper here today.” Tobias’s darker comments had Warren thinking that his new friend had some fatalist thoughts that lurked around in his consciousness. Ah, but who doesn’t have the occasional ghoulish thought.

Upon hearing more about his friend’s employer and the situation he was in, Warren chuckled, “Ah, so I see his parasites are very well adapted for their particular…ecological niche? That’s quite unfortunate, really. Well at this point, the parasites seem to have done enough damage that he scavengers can begin circling, and I suppose that I could be considered one of them, would I not?” A bit of a ghastly thought, speaking of which Warren thought to himself, his mouth quirking into a small smirk at the idea.

He had to think about the next question Tobias posed to him. “Hmm, well I suppose it was quite a while back, while I still lived with my parents. They always wanted me to by an esteemed socialite; capable of walking the social circles of their business community with ease. I had other ideas though. I tolerated their ministrations; the countless hours on proper etiquette, conversation, business, and so forth. It was astoundingly bland, shallow and pedantic topics that I found quite simple. When I wasn’t being coddled I would flee to the library, where I would spend hours hiding in books and engorging myself on knowledge about things deeper than ‘the difference between a tuxedo and a two-piece suit’. I seemed to retain the information quite well, being able to recite most of the elements and their characteristics when I was about 14. After that I was pretty positive that I was more academically inclined than the average person. I hope that answers your question.”

Warren mirrored Tobias’s manicured pose with precision, then posed a question to Tobias, “Might I now be graced with your ‘intellectual upbringing’. How did you come to know about your calculating, logical mind, and if I might also ask, where did you get your education, I didn’t see you at the university here in St.Louis?”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:34 pm GMT 

Warren's optimistic outlook on life made Tobias reexamine himself for a moment, his ears going from nearly flat to upright in an instant. "Oh, I didn't mean to sound too terribly pessimistic! We most certainly have quite a bit to be grateful for, I agree." After all, I am happy to be alive... aren't I?

The food-chain analogy made Tobias chuckle back, leveling a hand at Warren in agreement. "Precisely! Couldn't really have said it better myself." He looked down at the table, smiling in thought. "Yes, nature does have a way of exacting justice, doesn't it? It may not always be perfect, but at least there is some order. I suppose I get caught up in the idea of absolute order, in which no mistakes are made... but realistically, nature, and yes, society, make some sense."

Tobias smiled when Warren took a pose similar to his own. We could be twins, I think... well, if the fur matched. And the height. Then he was flattered by Warren's compliments, as was quickly evidenced by his sheepish smile.

"Actually, I'm from New York; a little town called Mayfield. My job tends to take me places." His expression turned somewhat ruminative as he remembered his childhood, his eyes drifting up into the smoky haze that obscured the ceiling. "My mother was -- still is, actually -- a librarian; she would take me with her to work, and for a few hours I'd have all the books I could ever hope to read... I suppose that has much to do with my love of knowledge. Father introduced me to bookkeeping, since he runs a business; just a tidy little grocery and auto repair station." He smiled at the thought of his parents, briefly remembering the last time he had seen them. "Father's family was very poor. He knew poverty firsthand, and he also knew the value of knowledge in combating it. He made sure I knew that, as well."

"During the war, we came to know poverty ourselves." The ruminative look resurfaced, tinged with sadness. "With dad 'over there,' business plummeted. I became obsessed with learning... and with being frugal, for that matter. Things didn't get any better when dad came home, minus a leg; he couldn't run the business without our help, and that obliterated any remaining chance that I might attend college." He smiled rather sadly. "They wanted me to go. They even managed to scrounge up enough for the first year, but..." his voice trailed off as his eyes turned downward, coming to rest on his hat, its ribbon tight and neatly tied into a bow on one side. "It wouldn't have been enough in the end. I wouldn't let them sell the business, not after almost twenty years... and so I began to look for work instead."

His expression turned ponderous, his eyes narrowing at the large wooden beams which held up the ceiling. "I think I realized that I was unusual a little while after I began work. I had moved to Manhattan to work at a newly-opened speakeasy, and I was looking forward to discussing things of decidedly academic nature with new people. You know, mentally recording opinions to obtain a broader, more accurate consensus." He looked at Warren, his expression now equal parts sheepish and amused. "Needless to say, things did not proceed as I had planned: many uncomfortably-scrutinizing stares and unnecessarily-rude interjections were endured. At first I was taken aback; there didn't seem to be any particular subject which caused such unnatural reactions. Growing up in a small town, sheltered and not possessing very much experience with the averagely-intelligent citizen, I was quite confused."

"Finally, I gathered courage enough to inquire as to why my academic inquiries were met with such hostility. The answer, I remember, was something I had not really expected: 'That stuff doesn't matter' or 'It's a waste of time.' Or the worst: 'It isn't right.'" His voice wavered a bit with the last three words. Looking at the table, he seemed remorseful, as if he felt guilt for his inability to help such people understand the wonders of the universe. "I was somewhat shocked, and, daresay, disgusted. How could such things be said? About sociology, science, history... even mathematics! It was almost too much to bear, knowing that there existed people without the will to learn." He looked up at Warren, a hint of dismay in his eyes. "I mean, I had always known that the world wasn't perfect... I at least understood that. But how could there be so many people who felt no obligation to help improve it? To try, at least, to make it better? I still don't really understand."

As he looked into Warren's eyes, his own went from showing general dismay to displaying vague relief. "Well, I suppose I do understand... it's just that it's difficult to fathom, and it certainly isn't right. The very nature of contentedness in ignorance... it's revolting! It isn't the fault of the person in question, either; something in their life just makes them, I don't know... unreceptive. It's simply insidious."

He sighed and leaned back in minor annoyance. "I'm sorry for getting so upset," he said, despite having kept his voice relatively low the whole time. "I suppose I'm just rather... passionate, you might say. It's just so frustrating sometimes." He snorted almost inaudibly, grinning at the other man. "One might often wonder what use he is if he seldom finds willing audience," he quipped, his tone laced with self-mockery. "To be so very gifted, and have none with whom to share... a tragedy not easily matched, to be sure."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 pm GMT 

Warren listened intently to Tobias’s background. He was unsure about how to respond to his story of poverty and hardship. The story made Warren acutely aware of his affluence. A simple vest and argyle tie; that’s what Warren thought he wore; but careful inspection of his attire revealed the exquisite weave of the fabric and perfect fit of each piece of clothing. Am I actually inconspicuous? I thought I was accounting for that with my favourite mundane attire.

“Well I’m sorry about your situation, Tobias. I wish I could do something to help you with your academic endeavours.” Warren thought for a moment. “Well, maybe there is something I can do to assist you.” Warren reached to his canvas bag, scrounging around the innumerable pockets. “Here!” he said, pulling out a small business card emblazoned with the logo of the University. “This has the information for the head librarian of the University. I can lend you books from the library, but I’m sure that a conversation with that particular official would be a good start to getting access to the university library.”

The mention of people’s lack of interest in academia made Warren’s tail flick with irritation. “I understand. it’s painful to know that people can have a distinct lack of interest in the world around them. How can a person go about their daily lives without acknowledging the benefits granted by academic inquiry? It’s even worse that they depend on the technology that is improving their lives, yet ignore the facts that brought that technology about!”

“No need to be sorry about being passionate, Tobias. It’s an issue that I find quite irksome as well.” He sat back in his chair in a huff, “It becomes even harder when people don’t care about knowledge in academia. Do you know how hard it is to convince a review board that your project should be funded when over half of the reviewers are politicians? The only projects they fund are those that will keep their wallets full to bursting.”

“Yes, woe is the life of the academic savant. Too exceptional to be appreciated by the average masses, and so intelligent that they realize the conundrum they’re in” Warren said in a sarcastic tone. “Well at least there are places for people like us. The university, for instance.” Warren looked down to his notebook, muttering“Well, at least part of the university. Not the dorms though.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:50 pm GMT 

As if accepting some valuable, once-in-a-lifetime gift, Tobias gingerly took the card that Warren held out. "Oh my... thank you!" He said, his voice still strangely soft despite his enthusiastically grateful expression. "Mr. Perrin, this means a lot to me. I've always wanted to visit a university library: so much knowledge... thank you so very much!"

At Warren's mention of politicians, Tobias rolled his eyes. "If only the intellectuals were the ones making these decisions, eh? That we have to put up with such ignorance and dishonesty in places of so much power... it's a wonder the world doesn't topple itself with corruption." Tobias thought on the subject for a moment more, then quickly added: "But of course, democracy is the best system, at least for the time being. Instating the most intelligent individuals might seem like the best form of government, but it wouldn't sit too well with the people, I'm sure. You know, oligarchy and all that." He was glad to have caught himself before he let something borderline-autocratic slip. Don't want to sound like a Nazi, those verdammte idioten.

Tobias laughed at Warren's rather dry comment on the state of university dorms; it was his first "genuine" laugh of the evening, he realized. "That bad, hm? Well, it can't be too much worse than my own place, I would think." Around the apartment complex where he lived, it was no secret that he was living well beneath his means. He looked down at the card he held in his hands. "Naturally, I won't hesitate to visit you; your company is so refreshing. We have quite a lot in common, I think." He tilted his eyes up slightly to look at Warren, the upper edges of his pupils barely within the rims of his corrective lenses. His smile was unusual: a whimsical mix of mischief, innocence, pure joy, and some other unclear emotion, with only the white tips of his canines visible. "Tired as I am, I'm quite glad I decided to happen by this particular establishment tonight. You've already made the whole thing worth it."

The band started up again just then, an upbeat tune introducing itself to perked-up ears throughout the speakeasy. On the stage was an electric microphone, behind which the speakeasy's resident entertainer, a particularly charismatic and energetic fellow, had taken his place.

Tobias smiled when he recognized the tune rather early in the intro, though he recalled the German lyrics faster than could the English. "This'll be good," he mouthed to Warren before turning to watch the performance, his head and shoulders already moving with the music.

Instrumental intro complete, the lead man began the chorus over a piano-and-violin backdrop. He was mirrored now and again by the band members who weren't playing, their voices creating a participatory atmosphere in which much of the speakeasy found themselves singing along:

"Has she got naughty eyes?"

"Yes she has got naughty eyes!"

"That certain, that certain par-ty!"

"Par-ty!"

"You know the one I mean?"

"Sure we know the one you mean!"

"That certain party of mine!"

"We know the party!"

"Naughty eyes."

"Turned-up nose!"

"Rosy cheeks."

"Pretty clothes!"

"Noooot a smar-ty!"

"Smar-ty!"

"Has she got loving ways?"

"Sure she has got loving ways!"

"That certain party of mine!"

The middle instrumental began, strong and rollicking. A number of couples were dancing, though most were content to sing along and enjoy the lead man's uniquely amusing delivery style.

Though he didn't consider himself a dancer, Tobias was now practically dancing in his seat. Yes, I am glad to be alive, he thought. It was times like this that made it clear to him why he went on, why he could never just call it quits. Even if just for a little while... that's all I need.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 am GMT 

“Oh undoubtedly. It would be an interesting world if those most fit to lead actually led… but who is to say that the individuals that are the most intelligent are actually the most fit to lead?” Warren chuckled at the idea whilst pouring himself a second glass of his drink. “I couldn’t possibly imagine a group of biochemists leading a country; nothing would be done! We’d all be too busy discovering the particular functions of some novel trace molecule or studying the changes in hormone concentrations in people that were enraged by our ineptitude.”

Warren smiled at the mention of having visitors. He didn’t often see people outside of his lab. Just having someone else that could hold an intellectual conversation was a cheerful addition to an already pleasant evening. “Thank you, Tobias. That means a lot to me. It’s not often I have guests, or happen upon such agreeable company.” The expression on Tobias’s face was curious. Does it denote a particular happiness exhibited when meeting a new friend? Or is there some nuance of human expression that I am missing? Warren mentally shrugged, figuring that he could figure out the specifics of that look later.

He became more attentive to the band as the music began to build. The bouncy, energetic tune was one Warren was unfamiliar with, but it was quite catchy. He was quickly bouncing along, foot tapping and tail swishing with the beat with everyone else. The melody proceeded with a certain companionable air, and the rest of the clients were happily following with the lyrics and dancing to the tune. As the song concluded, the band continued playing at that same exuberant, happy tempo, allowing more of the patrons to begin dancing. “What an excellent tune! What’s the name of that song, Tobias?” Warren asked.

He sat for a moment, foot still tapping to the beat of the new tune. He motioned to the extra beaker he placed on the table, asking, “Are you sure you don’t want to imbibe this evening? As celebration for the coincidental meeting of two great minds?”