THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Mit Musik geht alles besser!
 Post subject: A Little Outing ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:05 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Mit Musik geht alles besser!
Dusk drew near on the streets of St. Louis. As he approached the alleyway that led to the speakeasy entrance, Tobias straightened his jacket by the collar and readjusted his hat. The past two days had been quite eventful indeed, and he found himself applying his best effort to not appear disheveled. Then he realized that he had not slept in... how long had it been? Tscha, it doesn't matter, he thought. Physically tired, yes... but my mind is awake, and that is what matters. He didn't need the drab interior of his small apartment, not now. What he wanted was music. Real, live music.

For a self-proclaimed connoisseur of the auditory arts, quality entertainment was easily found in this city. The variety was not as it had been in Europe, but it was impressive nonetheless. Besides, jazz and classical were the most important to him, and both were in great supply here. Between the superb Symphony and the dozens of resident speakeasy bands, there was no shortage of enjoyable content.

Reaching the door in the darkening alley, Tobias strained his ears to hear the music. Even with the door open, it was impossible to make out over the din of the traffic in the next street over: klaxons and revving engines coalesced into a sort of disjoint symphony all their own. As soon as he closed the door behind him, though, faint echoes of hot jazz began to waft from the dimly-lit corridor below and into his excited ears. Descending the steps, he grinned as the relaxing sound of music slowed his step, his tail beginning to move side to side with the rhythm.

As Tobias neared the bend before the corridor's end, he heard the familiar voices of the two doormen. They were nice guys, he remembered; the social kind, for sure. The echoing sound of Tobias' slow, contemplative footfalls must have alerted them to his presence, for the white-gloved pair were silent and prepared when he rounded the corner.

"Good evening, Mr. Förstner!" the first -- Bertram, he recalled -- said cheerfully, albeit sans umlaut. "How've you been lately?"

"Wonderful, wonderful..." Tobias replied as he approached the large, wooden double-doors. "It's been a tough day, though, must say. How goes it with you?"

Bert began to say "great" when the second man -- Charles, Tobias thought -- interjected. "Oh, you know how it is. Still trying to get into the band. You just wouldn't believe how picky some people are."

Tobias chuckled. "Yeah? Nah, I believe it. But the real trick is to make them wish they hadn't been so stingy. Have you thought about trying another orchestra?"

Charlie rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah... I'll think about it some more. Anyway, this job's strictly temporary, mind you."

Bert rolled his eyes and grinned at Tobias, then moved to open the door on his side, with Charlie quickly following suit on the other side. "Enjoy your evening, Mr. Förstner," Bert said, his voice barely audible over the sudden flood of sound from the interior of the speakeasy.

"Indeed I shall. Have a good evening, gentlemen." Tobias removed his hat as he stepped inside the large, lavishly-decorated room. He inhaled the scent of tobacco mixed with the musty odor that came with a damp cellar, an unmistakable concoction unique to these literally-underground establishments. The sounds of laughter and music made up the rest of the atmosphere, and Tobias felt that feeling of euphoria in his veins. "Ja..." he said aloud, feeling his exhaustion melt away. "This... this is gut."

An ongoing project dedicated to collecting Jazz and Swing music from the 1920s through 1940s.

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Re: A Little Outing ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
(Sorry if I hijacked your NPC’s, it was just to get into the speakeasy...also wall of text)

Knowledge was a harsh mistress; holding onto her secrets with a ferocity unmatched by few. It takes long hours of coaxing and pleading to have her relinquish one of her tiny gems of knowledge. Today, numerous spilled reagents, a handful of chemical fires, and an episode involving chloroform and an unhealthy amount of stimulants, Warren finally managed to tease one of these little fragments from her grasp. Finally, after months of trials, I have it! Warren held the Erlenmeyer flask up to the light, the transparent solution glittering in the fluorescent lights. Smiling, he glanced over to his mouse cages watching them flounder around in a drug-induced stupor. Warren stood up from the stool, stretching after countless hours sitting and stirring and pouring and drying and filtering.

Warren closed up the lab. His lab, thanks to his parents ample funds. He took a brisk walk through the dark streets of St. Louis, eventually making it to his dormitory near the university. Today was a good day, and Warren was in the mood to celebrate his small discovery. In a short time, Warren found himself in a shady, nondescript alley, shoulder bag filled with books and a flask of his favourite “enriched” apple brandy. His lanky stride carried him quickly to the entrance, which was manned by two gentlemen making idle conversation.

Warren slowed, eyes looking everywhere but at the doormen. He was uncomfortable with doormen; usually there was too much muscle, not enough mental capacity in their kind. “Umm…hello good sirs, I happened to hear that there was a good jazz band playing at this establishment. Might I partake in some easy listening this evening?” he said, giving them a quick glance, and then looking away again.

The one fellow chuckled, giving Warren a quick look up and down, “Hey calm down, is it your first time at a speakeasy? You look more uncomfortable than Charles here does when he gets on stage” the man said, elbowing the other man…presumably Charles…in the ribs.

“Me? Uncomfortable on stage? Come on Bart, I’m a stage performer. The stage is where I thrive” he said, looking disgustedly around the alleyway, “Not in a dark corridor like this”.

The first man, Bart, laughed, “ Oh sure, tell that to the last band that you tried to join”.

All the while, Warren waited patiently for their banter to stop, shifting uncomfortably from one foot to the other. He could barely hear the band through the heavy wooden door the two men stood by.

Eventually, Bart looked back to Warren, “Oh, right you’re still here!” he turned to open the door, Charles following behind. “Enjoy your evening, sir!”.

The music flooded out into the alley. Warren stepped into the speakeasy. Now past the doormen, he adjusted his argyle tie, and smiled. A glamorous, but not gaudy room filled with people carousing and moving and chatting and laughing was arrayed out in front of him. He smelled the mix of aromas; the pungent smoke of cigars and spilled alcohol forming a unique blend of earthy and acrid humours in the air. Eyeing an emptier corner of the room, Warren immediately began to stroll to the table situated there, accidentally bumping into the shorter fellow still enrobed in his coat and stumbling in the process.

Warren recovered slowly, readjusting his bag and turning to give the man a sincere, “My apologies, sir” before continuing to his objective.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 am GMT 

((Not a problem! After all, that's what NPC's are for, right?))

Many kinds of people came to a place like this, Tobias mused. There were the well-to-do socialites, flamboyant in both dress and manner, who came for fine drink and, perhaps, to be noticed. Then there were the flappers, who came for the freedom; in their gaudy and risqué getups, they danced in the most scandalous new fashions, drank as hard as the men next to whom they sat, and truly didn't give a damn what anyone thought of them. Here and there, one could single out working-class citizens, the type that came to escape the dull reality of the factories; some were still dingy, some dressed in their Sunday best, but they all found refuge from monotony here. And then there were the kind that-

His thoughts were suddenly broken by a nudge from behind and to the side, and he whipped his head around to see a man with a trying his best not to fall over. At the man's apology, Tobias smiled and shook his head. "Oh no," he replied, "don't apologize. I really should find a seat myself."

As the other man made his way to the less-populated area of the speakeasy, Tobias studied him: tall, rather lanky, and reasonably well-dressed. His mannerisms were decidedly upper-class, but he was apparently not the socialite kind, for he seemed not to care about who he sat near. Amidst the flappers and middle-class playboys, he stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then Tobias understood the significance of the shoulder bag. A student, he thought. And one who, by the looks of it, was involved in one of the more intellectual disciplines.

Perfekt!

Tobias walked toward the table at which the man now sat. As he strolled over, he looked in the direction of the bandstand... then switched his gaze to the bar and its patrons... then flicked his eyes at a bunch of partygoers who were cheering at a couple's kiss... and finally, as he came to a stop, brought his gaze to rest -- perhaps a bit too harshly due to his tired eyelids -- on the presumed student. "Do you mind if I join you here?" he asked in a politely soft voice.

An ongoing project dedicated to collecting Jazz and Swing music from the 1920s through 1940s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:25 am GMT 

Upon reaching the table, Warren placed his bag on his chair, and then began carefully removing a series of books from it. He didn’t bring too many books today, only his favourites: The most recent copy of Nature, a heavy leather-bound tome titled “Biochemical Techniques” and his notebook, bearing the badges of many hours of note-taking and chemical spills, simultaneously aligning the books carefully in front of him. He left the sappy romance novel he brought with him in the bag, which was for later when he was feeling somewhat scandalous (and intoxicated).

Lastly, Warren pulled a sealed flask from his bag. Ah, yes. This will do quite nicely this evening he thought, swirling the amber fluid in its container. He placed it down on the old wooden table, and reached into his bag a final time for his pen and a small beaker kept there specifically for these types of evenings. He didn’t even notice the gentleman wander up to the table and stop. The cheer from the crowd made him look up, and subsequently see the man standing patiently, hard eyes looking down at him.

Ah it’s the fellow I bumped into earlier Warren sat quietly for a moment, adjusting his glasses and getting a better look at the man. He was well dressed and although his attire was in a bit of disarray he held himself with an air of comfortable confidence Warren was altogether unused to. Warren saw that the harshness of his eyes was actually merely physical tiredness, something that he was keenly aware of after an exhausting day in the lab.

The man’s voice was surprisingly calm, and exceedingly polite. Another sophisticated individual. “Well I suppose I could have some company this evening” he said, more to himself than the man in front of him. Warren promptly stood, taking a more formal stance and extending his right hand in greeting. Though he didn’t live under his parents thumb anymore, their influence was still apparent in his overly formal mannerisms.

“My name is Warren Perrin. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm GMT 

"Tobias Förstner," he replied, smiling and reaching out to grasp Warren's hand; there was no need for an alias here, he thought. "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Perrin. I wouldn't trouble you with my presence, only it seems there's a distinct lack of seating area tonight." As he retracted his hand, he noticed in passing the purplish colouring of Warren's hand fur. "If you're presently engaged in your studies, I promise not to bother you."

Tobias sat down soundlessly and leaned heavily against the back of the chair, his tail falling uncharacteristically close to the floor. "I come here primarily for the music, and I suppose the atmosphere. Can be quite refreshing, I must say."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:18 pm GMT 

Warren returned the smile. Although he was planning to have a comfortable evening sitting, reading, and enjoying the music, he didn’t mind too much if someone else sat at his table. “A pleasure” he said as he sat back down.

Tobias’s comment made Warren smile, reminding him of his little success today. He sighed a heavy sigh of relief, “No, no bothering me here. This evening is not one for studying, but instead is one for relaxation and casual celebration.” Warren reached over to his sealed flask and began to methodically unscrew the lid from the container. “I finally succeeded in isolating a particularly elusive compound from Psilocybe semilanceata. It took me a solid 3 months of countless hours in a fumehood to finally do it.” Warren began to pour his amber elixir into the little beaker, taking care to measure out a particular amount of the ochre fluid into the little beaker.

The music in the speakeasy was vibrant, frantic, and powerful. The bass strummed out a steady rhythm, matched closely by the rat-tat-tat of the drum set. Clarinet and trumpet bantered back and forth, each setting up their own bouncing tune, then having the other respond in kind. Warren listened intently, head bobbing back and forth to the beat as he poured his drink. “Yes, the band in this establishment has a particular flair and liveliness that is rather appealing, and I must agree, this atmosphere is quite refreshing after the antiseptic ambience that is the lab.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 am GMT 

At Warren's adept pronunciation of the long scientific name -- a plant of some kind, Tobias thought -- the reason behind the unusually-coloured hand fur became clear. A chemistry student, then... and one with an understanding of biology.

"That process sounds quite tedious," he said, eyeing the liquid in the flask with latent curiosity. "Congratulations on your success. Pardon my ignorance, but what... exactly would one do with such an extract? If I may be so bold."

The band's jazz was red-hot now. A number of patrons had arisen and were now happily dancing the Charleston. The footwork was at times dazzlingly fast, heels kicking up this way and that. A few dancers must have been professional at this, for they "broke loose" into improvised tap-dancing.

The exuberant atmosphere made Tobias feel at ease, and he felt his tense muscles relax. Holding his hat on his lap, he improved his posture, then repositioned his seat to face at an angle to the table so he could more easily watch the dancers while talking to Warren. "They really have fun with that, don't they?" The question was half to the other man and half to himself. "I never could get into dancing. Just... not enough purpose in it, I suppose." Leaning his right arm flat on the table, he looked to Warren: "Me, I find joy in my work. But I'm happy for them, of course."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:49 pm GMT 

“Tedious doesn’t even begin to describe the process. I will spare you the details, but it was quite an endeavour from the start. There was no research into the isolation and growth of this particular fungus, so I had to do it all from scratch.”

Hearing Tobias’s interest in the extract made Warren’s ears twitch forward. Eyes glittering, Warren started, “Oh, well the isolate has a variety of unique neurophysiological properties, altering the mind-state of the user and causing systemic depression of sympathetic nervous stimulation.” Warren continued, intensity and passion apparent in his voice “Furthermore, the chemical in question causes the user to able to think and see in a more abstract manner…and by this I mean they tend to hallucinate and become highly receptive to hypnotism and sleight of hand”.

Warren remembered back to his first experience with the compound; hours of pleasant lights, sounds and shapes blooming up from the depths of his consciousness. “I suspect that the hallucinations and gullibility could indicate a ‘loosening of the neural circuitry’ as it were. My thoughts would be to use it in tandem with psychiatry to help people through severe trauma and stress, like the shell-shocked war veterans and whatnot.”

The music was rolling through the speakeasy now, a creature prowling and pouncing and playing with the individuals in the room, willing them to dance and swing with wild abandon. Warren loved seeing others dance, he was atrociously bad at the whole process, but when he was a child there was nothing he enjoyed more than stumbling through a dance class his parents put him in.

He chuckled, adding “Yes, they certainly look to be having quite the enjoyable evening”. Warren’s foot tapped to the beat, his head still gently swaying back and forth to the rhythm.

Tobias’s mention of his work made Warren curious. A well-dressed individual in an establishment such as this could be anything: a janitor dressed up for a night out, an exhausted banker, a lawyer with beliefs that don’t perfectly align with the law, or even a hit man, or bootlegger. Warren swirled his little beaker or home-brewed apple-cannabis brandy, asking, “What type of work do you enjoy? You can obviously tell what I am passionate about.” Warren added, smiling sheepishly at his earlier academic outburst.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm GMT 

Tobias had expected an inquiry on the nature of his profession. It was common in small-talk situations like these, so he always made sure that he had an answer, complete with delivery and eye contact, formulated and ready to give.

"I mostly work as a bookkeeper. For the, ah," he grinned, waving a hand casually at the room around them, "shadier establishments in town. I can do a few other things, though, like auto repair." It was the truth, in a way. It wasn't terribly hard to refrain from thinking about his other job, even if it was the one which he was best-known for.

Tobias twisted in the direction of the bandstand and applauded as the hot dance number wound down. A few of the dancers left the stage panting, but most seemed energetic enough to continue with a slower composition. The players were in a similar state after such a high-tempo piece, and shortly began a lower-tempo foxtrot.

At the onset of this new piece, the remaining singles left the floor reluctantly as the couples formed up, with a few couples giggling and motioning for the singles to "scram." Tobias chuckled softly to himself, partly at the look on the partnerless dancers' faces and partly in recognition of his own prospects for a relationship, or lack thereof. And here, he thought, is a point which I would very much like to discuss with a student familiar with biology.

"Oh, those poor cads. They probably think of love as something magical indeed." Turning back to Warren, he smiled and shook his head. "If only they knew the difference between mere animal instinct and logical, intellectual infatuation." He was curious as to how the other man would respond to the prompt, though he could already guess the tone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:02 pm GMT 

"Oh, those poor cads. They probably think of love as something magical indeed." Turning back to Warren, he smiled and shook his head. "If only they knew the difference between mere animal instinct and logical, intellectual infatuation." He was curious as to how the other man would respond to the prompt, though he could already guess the tone.

“Bookkeeping? Usually I wouldn’t consider that a particularly interesting occupation” Warren said, “But I suppose that writing out the expenses sheet for such an establishment could be an enjoyable endeavour, what with all the various ‘extraneous expenses’ they would mention”. Although Warren wasn’t deeply entrenched in business of rumrunning, he suspected that the expenses sheet for a speakeasy would be riddled with expenditures on activities of a markedly less savoury nature.

Warren looked up to the bandstand, he too applauding the exemplary performances from both the musicians and the dancers alike. The shift in the tone brought out the romantically entwined individuals in the crowd. His thoughts turned to relationships. The idea of biological mateship was a curious one to Warren, but his current understanding of the opposite sex was so preliminary that he couldn’t fathom entering that type of relationship with anyone.

He chuckled at the mention of magic, “Ha, love: people glorify the concept of a relationship when it’s merely the result of our biological urge to propagate. It would be logical to assume that a relationship of the mind would be much more fulfilling than one of mere carnal urges.” Warren thought for a moment, then opened his notebook and began jotting something down in the margin, Although I suspect that the release of serotonin and dopamine that occurs in the more…carnal aspects of the relationship might be equally enjoyable "For now, I’ll just enjoy my relaxing little concoction and observe.”

Not wanting to be impolite, Warren reached into his bag and grabbed another small beaker, placing it on the table beside the larger flask. “Would you care for a drink? It’s a brandy of my own making” Warren said, grinning mischievously. “It’s gentle blend of an apple brandy with the oils of Cannabis sativa expertly blended in to gently soothe the mind and improve lateral thinking.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:56 pm GMT 

Tobias was delighted at the other man's words on human mating habits. A show of pure logic! he thought, smiling and nodding enthusiastically at each of Warren's assertions. It was quite refreshing indeed to find someone who thought... differently.

"I couldn't have said it better myself, Mr. Perrin!" He joyfully wrung his hands together under the table. "How I do love good scientific discourse!"

As Warren paused to take a brief note, Tobias wondered if the chemist was that kind of different. He pondered the possibility, but ultimately decided against any further inquiry, at least for the time being.

Tobias was enjoying the relaxing music -- and doing his best to stay awake -- when Warren offered him a drink of the most unusual sort. Exotic was the word; it was no doubt quite difficult to get hold of such a substance.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Perrin," he said, mirroring Warren's own grin, "but I'm afraid I simply must decline. I'm barely awake as it is, to tell you the truth, and I suppose it doesn't help that I don't actually drink. Besides, I imagine this sort of concoction must be rather hard to come by... you would probably be better-off selling it to a true connoisseur."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:54 pm GMT 

Warren returned the smile, equally excited that someone else understood some of his unique views on the nature of human relationships. Interesting that I have found yet another individual that enjoys the process of scientific inquiry more than the propagation of their own genetics.

“Undoutedly! It has been some time since I’ve happened upon another individual that is interested in academia.” Warren paused, thinking for a moment about Tobias’s current profession, “Might I ask how a bookkeeper such as yourself may have begun to dabble in things analytical and strange?”

Warren sipped his little drink, unconsciously taking on a contemplative expression. He tasted the blend of sweet and pungent flavours, both commingling and dancing in his mouth Yes, this batch is much more balanced than my last sample. He quickly jotted down some notes about the flavour, savouring both the warmth of the alcohol and cannabis flowing into his system and the more leisurely pace of the music.

“Oh, no worries then, Tobias.” Warren noted the bags under his acquaintance’s eyes. “Yes, this concoction would not help with your current state of fatigue. I am not currently carrying anything for sleepiness or exhaustion on my person, unfortunately. Though the extracts of Erythroxylum coca are notoriously good for mitigating those issues.” Warren looked around, lowering his voice and adding “It’s likely due to the trace amount of cocaine found in the plants leaves.”

The mention of the relative rarity of the drink Warren was offering made him chuckle. “You’d be surprised how easy it is to acquire the ingredients for that particular drink” he said, motioning to the larger flask of amber liquid, “Being that I’m scientist with a particular skew for botany and chemistry, I have been able to obtain the permits for the growth and isolation of these chemicals for my research”. Warren was particularly proud of that last point. It took many months of heated debates and committee meetings for him to finally be allowed to pursue his research interests.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:04 pm GMT 

Tobias pondered Warren's question for a moment; it was undoubtedly a valid one, and yet somehow difficult to answer. When did it start...

"That's a good question," he said, cocking his head and looking sidelong at the table. "I suppose it all started when I realized that technology and science were inseparable. I have a sort of affinity for machines; their efficiency, their perfection relative to humanity. I know it's crazy, I mean... it's somehow relaxing -- almost soothing -- to watch, say, a steam engine pumping away at full capacity. So much work in so little time."

At the mention of cocaine, Tobias' mind flew back to the more impoverished parts of Berlin. He remembered the bedraggled people there who, despite their penniless and hunger-ridden situation, managed to scrape up enough money to get hold of the little capsules which held the stuff.

"Ah, cocaine," he said, keeping his voice low. "The things I've seen it do. Much less addictive in trace amounts, I imagine."

Tobias smiled at Warren's statement on his production of beverages. He was obviously rather proud of his accomplishments, and had a certain confidence that one might not expect just from his appearance.

"Do those permits happen to include any provision for, ah, the occasional taste-test? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of legal circumvention of the latest amendment. All kinds of people taking communion these days, so I hear."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:55 am GMT 

Warren pondered Tobias’s comment. He was intrigued by the fellow’s academic beginnings, which followed a different track than his own. “Fascinating, so you’re interested in the perfection of manmade machinery? I suppose it has its charms, all the various components bound together to become a hulking, functional. I personally find them somewhat drab; We built these things, and though they are quite useful, it becomes challenging to study them further. We know how they work, down to the smallest component.”

Warren pulled out his most recent manuscript, cumbersomely titled, “The psycho-physiological effects of Psilopsybe cubensis and Papaver somniferum extracts on mammalian nervous systems”. “Now the organic machine, that’s something to get excited about. We function every day, working and eating and carousing, but how does it all work?” Warren motioned to the dancers, eyes glittering with excitement, “From a simple agglomeration cells emerges the ability to dance, sing, think, create…” One of the dancers stumbled into a nearby table, causing drinks to clatter off the table and illiciting a flurry of agitated insults to be thrown his way”…or be erratic and belligerent.”

“We know so little about our own machinery, or even the machinery of other organisms. It’s exciting to think that we can discover things about life that are completely unknown to us.” Warren sat back then, taking another sip of his brandy and listening to the gentle beat of the music.

The mention of cocaine’s addictive qualities made him stir, “Ah yes, cocaine. It’s quite the stimulant. Giving the subject a large burst of energy and virility, but subsequently damaging their brain and autonomic nervous system that innervates the heart when used in excessive quantities. I wrote a paper on it. It’s in the review process currently, but I hope I can get it published soon.”

Warren laughed at the mention of alcohol permits. “No, unfortunately, they do not allow for the occasional taste test. Although they did allow me to use the alcohol as a solvent for my projects. At this point, I am just thankful that I am permitted to do any of this research” he said, smiling and thinking about his lab: inundated with all sorts of illicit paraphernalia and drugs. “But that hasn’t stopped me from dabbling in distilling on the side” Warren said, swirling his amber elixir in his beaker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm GMT 

"I can certainly understand an interest in organic mechanisms," Tobias conceded, his whiskers twitching slightly as he eyed the commotion caused by the clumsy dancer. "If we can learn enough about ourselves, we might even gain the ability to improve ourselves at the most basic, physical levels. Sort of a... forced evolution, one could say." His eyes became dull as he looked into the empty chair beside Warren, his mind now beyond the plane of reality. "Who knows? We may even be able to slow ageing, or prevent it entirely."

Then he wondered what Warren thought of science fiction. Couldn't hurt to ask, he thought. "On a somewhat unrelated note: are you by any chance familiar with a play by the name of Rossum's Universal Robots?"

Tobias was somewhat surprised to hear of Warren's progress in the scientific community. Not merely a student, he thought, but a future professor. "Publishing with a scientific journal? Well, I should say... taking into account your dedication, such a paper should be a most interesting read! Best of luck to you in your writing efforts... not that you'll need it, of course."

Tobias laughed softly at Warren's defiance of Volstead. "Indeed, Mr. Perrin. I'm no expert, but you seem to have something of a talent in alcohol distillation. Have you considered brewing for a profit in your spare time? If you're interested, there are people I can direct you to. All respectable, of course... at least, as respectable as bootleggers come."