THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Possible Partnerships ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
The King's Ransom speakeasy wasn't necessarily the best joint in town. It wasn't high society rits and glam. Nestled in the center of downtown, there were at least a dozen other hidden bars around to compete with. Its drinks ranged from 'questionably passable' to 'surprisingly okay'. Its decoration was almost homey, settled in a spacious hidden basement of a barber shop with a few tables scattered around the edges of an open dance floor, all facing towards a stage.

Yet it was what was on that stage that tended to keep a loyal following. King's Ransom kept a live band every night, even though that wasn't unusual, but it was the singer of the band that drew attention. Nineteen-year-old Alice Kingery was a hopeful rising star of a singer, and she was good. And she currently only sang at this one speakeasy for a very specific reason: Her father was the owner.

David Kingery hadn't originally planned to open a speakeasy when prohibition started. It had been Alice's idea to start with, but he had to admit, he enjoyed the place. He got to meet new people, just like when he worked upstairs. He got to let his daughter do what she loved. And most importantly, he was making a nice profit.

The only downside was the male clientele tended to watch Alice with a little too much interest. Especially on nights like this one, when the speakeasy was having a successful, busy night. David, tall, hints of muscle under his nice button-down shirt and vest that went well with his trousers, and hard gray eyes tended to watch others like a hawk. Especially the male employees. Alice was his daughter, and he was not going to let her get hurt. Especially not by some drunk who thought he could make a pass at the dark-haired girl in the form-flattering red flapper dress, currently singing on the stage.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Re: Possible Partnerships ((Webwood))
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
It was a long day for Warren Perrin. He worked in the lab since 6:00am, hoping that his latest isolation procedure would be his last. Unfortunately, a spilled solution, a spontaneous ignition, and a fouled reagent proved that he would have many more days in the lab before this project would be done. Tired, and disheartened by his failure, Warren left the lab and wandered to a nearby café. There, he overheard a group of peers discussing a speakeasy with a great band playing. “The King’s Ransom” they called it. Is that a subtle reference to the prices of their drinks?, Warren chuckled to himself.

That evening, Warren dressed up. Donning his favourite forest green vest and argyle tie and picking up is notebook and canvas shoulder bag, Warren departed for the aforementioned speakeasy. It was a long walk, but Warren didn’t mind the cold night air, it was a refreshing change from the antiseptic smell of the lab. He looked forward to the music. As much as Warren loved listening to records while he was working or reading, it didn’t have the same vibrancy that a live band had; the lights, the sounds, the band jamming on the stage. It did mean that Warren had to deal with crowds, but that was something he would have to bear.

Warren strolled up to the building “The King’s Ransom” was nestled in. The building was modest; a little barbershop in the downtown of St.Louis. After a couple minutes of poking around, he found the entrance and wandered inside.

The King’s Ransom was a modest affair, with simple tables and decoration that made the space feel more like a family home than an illegal underground bar. The tables were placed around the dance floor, on which a number of people were swinging and dancing away to the catchy tune played by the band. Warren, avoiding eye contact, walked over to a table close to the stage but far enough away that he wouldn’t be hassled by the people milling about. Sitting down, Warren shrugged off his shoulder bag and pulled out his worn out notebook, pen, and his favourite copy of “On the Origin of Species”, opening it up and began thumbing through the pages. He didn’t want to attract anyone’s attention, but he did try to wave over the taller fellow that seemed to manage the space to buy himself a drink.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:04 am GMT 

David watched as the newcomer came into his speakeasy. He was always wiling to welcome new customers, especially one that was dressed a bit nicer than some of the others. He watched the man take a seat near the stage, then beckon him over. David made his way towards the newcomer. Usually he left this stuff up to a waiter, but he currently had none. Besides, he liked talking with customers. He doubted he was going to hire a new one on.

"This your first time?" David greeted with a smile, "We got nearly anything, whiskey, rum, vodka, regular old beer...Whatchya in the mood for?"

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:12 pm GMT 

“Actually, yes, it is my first time at this fine establishment. The décor is quite to my liking” Warren said, smiling back at the barkeep. Warren remembered the first couple speakeasies he attended. Dragged there by his peers, they were little more than dank holes in the ground where the clientele was more sour than the drinks they served. Yes, this place is markedly nicer than those early explorations of the prohibition culture.

Warren asked, “Do you by chance have any wine in stock? A nice dry merlot would be quite to my liking”. Upon looking up, he finally got a good look at the man in front of him. A warm friendly smile, that of a person who works with his clients intimately, probably in the barbershop upstairs. It would seem likely that he also owns this little establishment too, but I’m not certain.

Warren wasn’t particularly proficient with making small talk. When he tried to converse with people that were not his peers they tended to get bored. Few people were interested in the inner workings of the plant chloroplast, or the physiological effects of plant isolates on the mammalian brain. Instead, Warren tended to stay quiet when people talked to him. Warren’s plan this evening was to take a break from the din of the lab. Some live music, a couple bearable drinks, and a nice corner to read in. Warren politely nodded to the barkeep, saying “Thank you, sir” and quickly returning to his book, unsure whether to fumble through a conversation with the man or quietly wait for his drink.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:03 am GMT 

"Yeah, I have a couple of bottles left," David said with a friendly smile, "I'll be right back."

Wine wasn't his list of alcohol he got from his supplies, but he did have a couple of bottles from his parents stored away. He usually didn't share them with customers, but if it brought in a new customer, one who seemed to prefer to keep to himself at that, then David was willing to make an exception. A customer who didn't cause any trouble was the best type, in David's mind.

While David was gone, Alice on stage had just finished up her song, and her throat was beginning to get a bit dry. She glanced to the band and gave a nod, which they returned. They kept playing, however Alice left the stage for a break. She noticed her father had disappeared into the side room, probably to get some more alcohol for the shelves. As usual, she just got herself her own drink. A nice glass of whiskey(or at least, what passed for whiskey in her father's place). Drink in hand, she scanned the crowd. Most of the people were dancing, or lost in conversations with their drinking companions, though she noticed one man sitting on his own. Alice loved to chat people up just as much as her father, so she grinned and made her way over towards the man reading on his own.

"Mind some company?" she asked, "It's a shame anyone should drink alone."

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 am GMT 

As the bartender wandered off, Warren settled back into his chair. He was glad that there was wine available at this particular establishment. Wine was a hard product to come by at a speakeasy, and if the place did have wine it was usually horrendously expensive. Warren didn’t mind though. He tended to dislike harder alcohol, favouring a nice glass of wine or his own drinks that he concocted in his lab, and he had the money to pay for his particular preferences.

The band on stage was fantastic. Already Warren’s foot was tapping and the beat and he was less and less engrossed with his book. The singer in particular was of particular interest. She was young, but already she had the confidence of one that who had performed on stage for a long time. Warren looked back down at his book, rocking to the beat and generally enjoying his little space in the corner of the speakeasy.

After the last song, the music died down. Warren could no longer hear the petite singer on stage, but the rest of the band was still playing. Now more focussed on the book at hand, Warren didn’t even notice the woman from the band walk up to his table to the point that he jumped when she asked her question. Looking up now, he saw that it was the woman from the band. “Uuh, yes. I suppose some company would be agreeable.” The singer from the band approached me? Peculiar, usually women ignored the man reading textbooks in a speakeasy.

Smiling an uncomfortable smile, Warren motioned to the chair across from him, adjusted his now-rumpled vest, and put his book down onto the table. “Yes, I suppose that drinking alone would be less than savoury for some people” Warren said. Trying to think of something to say, Warren asked, “So, how long have you been singing for the band at this establishment?”

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:08 am GMT 

Alice grinned when Warren motioned for her to sit down and she immediately took the seat across from him, taking a sip of the whiskey she'd brought with her. She studied the man in front of her, books open in front of him and settled a bit away from the central dance floor. If she had to guess, he was more of the loner type. But Alice liked talking to people, something she inherited from her father.

"Pretty much since this place opened," she said, tucking back some of her hair, "I've always loved singing and Dad thought a live band with a singer would bring in more business."

She looked towards the books in front of Warren and leaned forward a little bit. "What're you reading? Anything interesting?"

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:13 pm GMT 

((Also, for context, are we Felinoids or people. I have no preference, each just gives me different descriptive cues to work with and I want to be consistent.))

Warren sat quietly as the woman sat down, watching her study him and seeing her smile. “Is your father the barkeep then? He was correct in thinking that a band would bring in clientèle. I only came here this evening because I heard the band was exemplary.” He said, giving a shy smile back to the woman across the table.

Unsure of what to say, Warren defaulted to the simple formalities that he was accustomed to. “Seeing that we are now sitting together, I suppose I should introduce myself. Warren Perrin, a pleasure to make your acquaintance” he said, giving a small wave with his left hand.

When the woman asked what he was reading, Warren sat up a little bit. “Actually yes, I was just rereading Darwin’s “On the Origin of Species”. It’s a fantastic synopsis of the concept of natural selection and evolution with regards to how a particular species is said to emerge from a common ancestor!” Warren loved talking about his books, or the ideas within them. Placing the book on the table, he grabbed another volume in front of him, “This here is a review of the ethnobotany of the Aboriginal People of North America. A great read, did you know that some of the indigenous tribes used Yarrow for both its astringent properties and to prevent colds and flu's?”

Warren would have continued rambling on about plants and books, but he stopped, suddenly unsure whether his comments were being understood. God Warren, what are you saying? Does this person understand what you just said? Don’t scare her away already.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14 am GMT 

((I'm fine either way, Felionoids is the one I'd like to have some more practice with so we can go with that.))

Alice gave a pleased smile when Warren mentioned the reputation of the band. She wanted to be professional one day, more than just singing in a speakeasy, so to learn that she was being talked about was something she was very happy about.

"I'm Alice Kingery," she greeted, "And yes, my dad is the barkeep. Owns the place, too." It wasn't really bragging, her tone was more a daughter who was proud of her father and his accomplishments.

When Warren began to ramble about his reading, Alice really had no idea what he was talking about, but his enthusiasm over it was very clear. She couldn't help but grin at him, giggling a little.

"You're very passionate," she commented, and it wasn't demeaning, just an observation, "There are tribes that use plants for medicine?"

David had come back over then with the glass of wine for Warren, and he didn't look too pleased to see his daughter sitting across from the new customer.

"Shouldn't you be on stage, Ali?" he asked as he placed the glass of wine on the table, his ears flicking slightly. Alice waved him off.

"Pish-posh, I'm on break," she said, "You know it's bad luck to overwork your performers."

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:38 pm GMT 

((Cool cool, that sounds good to me.))

“A pleasure”, Warren said, smiling a small smile back to Alice. Kingery, so that’s where ‘The King’s Ransom’ gets its name. Warren looked around the speakeasy. He enjoyed the modest décor, he was sick of all the extravagance and glamour many of these joints tried project. He got enough of that when he lived with his parents at the estate. “Well I must say, he’s done a stellar job creating a comfortable little establishment here in the bottom of a barbershop”.

The giggling coming from Alice made Warren uneasy, a flicker of doubt flashing across his face. Is she laughing at me? Did I say something that was comical? The doubt disappeared quickly upon Alice asking about plant medicine. He eagerly continued, “Oh certainly! Plants are masters of biochemistry. Most, if not all, of the drugs and remedies that we have today come from the flora existing in the environment around us!” Other than Theodore, Warren didn’t often get to chat with people about topics he loved outside of the university. “For instance: Aspirin, the common Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and painkiller, comes from trees from the genus ]Salix, or er…Willow trees. That’s the common name, right?”

Warren looked down to his ethnobotany text and began flipping through the pages, eventually getting to the entry on willows. Turning the book and pointing to the text, he added, “the Cherokee people have been using the bark for eons for…” Warren stopped mid-sentence when the glass of wine was placed on the table. Looking up, he saw the unimpressed expression on Mr.Kingery’s face. Curious, I wonder why he’s perturbed. Warren sat up, adjusting his clothes after being stretched over his books. “Thank you kindly, sir.” Sitting quietly, he flipped open his notebook and began offhandedly scribbling on a blank page, watching the exchange between daughter and father unfold rather than interrupting the conversation.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:06 am GMT 

Alice liked watching Warren's enthusiasm. Even if she wasn't completely sure what he was talking about, other than plants could be used as medicine, she could tell Warren was passionate about his work. She liked listening to people who enjoyed their work. She ignored her father's glare as she pulled over the book with the entry on willow trees, looking over it to see if she could make sense of any of it.

"Don't take too long on your break this time," David warned. Alice just waved him off again.

"I have to rest my voice now and then, you know that," she said, "I'll be back on stage before the night is out."

David grunted, cast another look to Warren, then headed off as another customer called for his attention.

"Sorry about him," Alice looked up to Warren, "He doesn't like me talking to men."

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:31 pm GMT 

Warren felt David’s chilly stare as he left the table. He was used to being stared at, especially in speakeasies when he brought out his assorted books and notes. David’s gaze was different; more protective, and aggressive. It made Warren fidget uncomfortably in his seat.

After watching David wander back to the bar, Warren turned his attention back to Alice. “Your father seems very protective, I must say. Is there any reason why he doesn’t like you talking to men?” Warren looked at Alice a little more directly. He suspected he already knew the answer to the question.

Young, probably not past twenty by my guess; with features that are not unattractive to the eye, with the added benefit of an pretty voice. I suppose working in a speakeasy could be a hazardous environment for a young woman such as her.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 am GMT 

"He thinks I'll run off with some guy if I talk to him for more than five minutes," Alice said with a roll of her eyes, "He likes to pretend I'm still a child who needs protecting."

Alice took another sip of her whiskey and grinned at Warren. She really did enjoy talking with people, and if her father had a problem with it, he could just deal. She was smart enough not to go running off with some stranger, he had raised her better than that.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am GMT 

Warren chuckled, adding, “Well your father shouldn’t be too worried. I’ve read few stories where the antagonist was swept off her feet by a quiet bookworm like myself.”

Warren paused, contemplating the idea for a moment. “Yes, a role reversal would be in order; the esteemed lady coming to save the quiet man from a drab and monotonous existence.” Warren picked up his pen and began writing in his little notebook. He continued talking, not really to anyone in particular “It wouldn’t have to be complicated. No swords or sorcery, just a simple evening with company.”

Warren looked back up at Alice, remembering that he was in the company of a young woman. “Oh, um, sorry there. Occasionally if I have an idea I quickly jot it down to review later. My apologies for being unmannerly.” What are you doing Warren? Are you flirting? This isn’t how one flirts, with idle ramblings and subtle compliments. Alice was attractive, but Warren was worried that he might cause an argument between David and Alice, or between David and himself.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:18 am GMT 

Alice grinned as Warren started to ramble on and jotting down his notes. She rested her elbow on the table, and her chin in her hand. She couldn't help but find his antics quite cute. Most men who came through tended to mostly act the same, so someone as different as Warren was very refreshing. When he apologized for his babbling, she just waved it off, still grinning.

"It's quite alright," she said, "Are you a writer? I have read a few romance stories, I guess I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic myself."

Here Be Characters