THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
 Post subject: A Diversion ((Artemis!))
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 am GMT 

Custom Title: Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
It was already two hours into the working day, and already Noah felt as if he wanted to leave.

There had been few customers so far at ‘Cal’s’, apparently ‘St. Louis’ Favourite Leisurewear Clothes Store!’. Given the current situation, the name seemed quite a joke. In fact, he was almost certain he had seen two gentlemen walk by, laughing as they went.

In fact, Noah was almost falling asleep at the desk he was stationed. He had nowhere to sit, so he had his front half laid on the table in some sort of inverted L-shape.

On one hand, I feel as if I don’t do enough to justify getting paid…on the other hand, I’m getting a reimbursement for this torture!

At that moment, his boss, the eponymous Cal, decided to walk in and catch Noah where he was, but surprisingly he didn’t explode at the athlete like usual for slacking off.

He heard his portly boss sigh. “Alright, Kirsch, why don’t you go and walk around the racks of clothes for a while. Someone might have got lost there, who knows. And you’ll be there, ready for anyone who walks in, right?”

Noah regretfully pushed himself up from the uncomfortable yet comfortable position, and he yawned, stretching, his tail lazily swishing back and forth.

“Ah, okay, boss.”

To his surprise, as he peered out of the window, he saw the figure of a lady peering in back at him.

((Hope that's okay! The title is because, well, it's going to be a well-needed diversion from his work (and her flânerie?!)))

Fitzgerald Bakara- The heavy-set Jamaican who's a real momma's boy.

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: A Diversion ((Artemis!))
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:11 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
It was so odd for her now. She had all this free time. All this ability to do what she wanted, go where she wanted, see who she wanted. She could even go to the hairdressers if she so desired. Not that she did, but she could . There was no one there to tell her what to do. And she was frankly a little lost because of it. All her life there had been someone. And now there was no one and she found herself wandering a lot in a bit of a haze.

She was down in the shopping district, looking horribly out of place in her worn dress and hat that had seen better days a few years ago. But that didn't stop her from strolling. She missed the pretty dresses she'd had with Paul, but she was alright with not having them anymore. Sometimes. But not enough to go back. Not when Oskar and her brother's were so adamant about her not.

She had stopped in her walk, distracted by something. That wasn't uncommon. She was easily distracted by things. Especially shiny things. And occasionally her own reflection. Though that was not as common. Then she'd have to face things that she wasn't comfortable with about her appearance. And that wasn't always something she wanted to address.

Ruth stood looking at the glass, blue eyes unfocused as she stared. Until something...well someone blocked her line of sight. A handsome someone at that. Her glaze centered on him and she flashed him a smile that was half a old work smile and half truly sweet, lifting a hand up she gave him a flirty little wave of her fingers.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:35 am GMT 

Noah reacted to the smile with surprise. Not because he disliked it, more so because he was usually the one giving the flirty smile, not recieving one from a stranger. He blinked in confusion for a few seconds before grinning and waving back.

She sure is attractive...

This prompted a laugh from Cal, who had seemingly been watching.

"Hah, Kirsch, going about the job that way, huh? Well, if you can get her in here and buying something, I'll allow it." Cal walked off, presumably to go to his office and sit there like a miser counting his money as usual.

Noah straightened up, and turned away from the lady to look in the mirror.

Oh, for fucks' sake.

Presumably lying on the table had been a bad idea, as there was now ink on the fur in his face. He contemplated washing it off, but that would mean missing out on the pretty woman, as well as a potential customer. So, he stuck with it, and after adjusting his suit (brought from the store at an employee discount), he opened the door of the store and poked his head out to speak to the lady.

"Can I help you, ma'am?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm GMT 

Ruth had watched him through the glass, leaning a little closer to see if she could hear through it to hear whoever had caught his attention. She could hear his voice, but couldn't make out the words. Pitty. She considered going to. Not that she was certain she had any money, or enough to buy anything that they might sell. And the guy may not even work there...

But then he was sticking his head out the door and brought her out of her thoughts. He worked there then. "Maybe...?" Ruth said after a moment of thought, shrugging her shoulders. It'd be nice to talk to him maybe. It'd been a while since she'd spoken to anyone outside her family.

She took a couple hesitant steps over to him, her short heels clicking on the pavement as she went. "I don't really know," she went on, sounding a bit more confident, if not a little shy. The smile she gave him this time was a little softer, but still a little flirty. She couldn't deny he was attractive, even with the ink smug on his face.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:21 am GMT 

Noah smiled at the lady's seeming lack of direction. He wished he could be like that, with lots of free time...then again, he wouldn't be in the running to be selected for the US' 1928 Summer Olympics team, so there was a method to his mad life.

"Well, if you're not sure, then come in! It's not a contract that when you enter this building, you can't get out...well, maybe it is..." he said, trying to add a seductive allure to his voice, half to fit her earlier flirty actions, and half to act as persuasion. He opened the door fully and stood by it, motioning for her to go inside.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:15 pm GMT 

She bit at her bottom lip, worrying it between her teeth. It was hard sometimes, making your own decisions. Especially when you had nothing else going on in your day so there was nothing to compare what time you might have to. But he was handsome, and was flirting with her. Even if it was because it was his job. It was still nice.

"Fine," she sighed, acting more bothered than she really was. She flashed him a smile as she went past, looking away so he couldn’t see the slight flush on her face. She might have done a lot of things with a lot of men before. But things were different now. He wasn't going to be paying her for her affection after all. And there was no way he could have guessed what she used to do. When she was working, men always knew. She dressed differently then though.

Ruth stopped just past him, glancing at him, then around at what they had to sell. "I haven't... I haven't been shopping for a while..."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 am GMT 

Noah smiled at the lady walked past him, both happy that he was able to find a distraction from his monotonous work, and in addition, a possible customer. There was always the added bonus that he may be able to arrange a coffee, too, if they chatted enough.

He grinned back and followed her into the store. He was surprised when she stopped, and had to stop short so he didn't barrel into her. "Well, is there anything you are particularly interested in? A hat? Or a new dress, perhaps?" It was not meant as a slur towards the fading quality of her current skirt, merely as suggestions.

"Anyway, may I have your name, ma'am?" It was a good way to start, getting to personal terms with the customer, or the pretty woman in this case.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 pm GMT 

Ruth looked down at her dress when he mentioned getting a new one. It was rather old. She wasn’t certain that there wasn't a tear in it somewhere. Of course it was pretty saddening that he'd noticed, but it was his job after all. And maybe a new dress would make her feel better. Feel like it was really hers. If she had enough money for one. "Perhaps a dress..." she said with a little shrug. "At least taking a look I suppose."

"Ruth," she murmured softly, flicking her gaze down to her shoes while she stepped in more, waiting to follow after him if he was going to lead. She thought about adding her last name too, but then she had to consider if she wanted to be a Milton anymore or if it'd be nicer being an Axford again. Legally she was a Milton she supposed. She'd never worried too much about that after all. But did legally even matter here just now? It was too much thought though so she just let her mouth close after an awkward moment of looking like she was going to say more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:25 pm GMT 

Noah noticed Ruth's forlorn look at her dress and moved in to comfort her. Outside his job, or when riled up, he would have made a snide comment, but this was his job, and dammit, he was going to save up to help his Olympic dream become a reality.

"I didn't mean to suggest the dress you have on needed replacing, simply that most of our customers have been buying them lately." 'Most' here constituted the one lady who had entered so far that day, and thankfully, bought something. "The dresses are this way." He led her through rack after rack of clothes, some in better condition than others, to the dress section, most of which were new and reasonably affordable.

He dusted down his suit. "Well, Ruth, are there any styles you prefer? I'm happy to make things easier for you by removing the styles you don't like." And because he was feeling generous, he said in a whisper. "And, if you so desire, I can apply my employee discount for you..."

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:12 am GMT 

"Oh it does," she said, flashing him a somewhat embarrassed smile. "It is the truth. You weren't being unkind at all." And it really was. She hadn't been offend by his words. She'd heard much crueler in her life anyways. He was just doing his job.

She followed after him, thinking on what he'd asked. "I don't know," she shrugged, reaching out hesitantly to run her hand along a rack of dresses. "I haven't ever had much say in what I wore before. Or much say in anything..." She had trailed off at the end, having mumbled at least half of what she'd said to begin with. He wouldn’t understand that, she was sure.

Ruth looked up at him squarely after taking a steadying breath. "What do you think I would look best in?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:03 pm GMT 

((I'm terribly sorry for the wait! Had a couple of family issues, amongst other things :P))

Noah felt somewhat bad for Ruth, given her seemingly low self-esteem. He had rather high opinion of himself, and therefore found it hard to understand anyone that didn't. It was clear from the way she spoke that her self-esteem had been knocked by someone.

Though that had been hard in itself. Noah had to swivel his ears to catch the tail-end of what she said.

He gave her a wink when she asked for help. "Well, that is something I am trained to do, Ruth." He led her along to the next rail, and picked out a cream-coloured dress that he thought would accentuate her ginger fur.

"What do you think of this?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:45 pm GMT 

((Oh it's quite alright. We both have huge things on our plates. It took me forever to reply myself.))

"It’s lovely," she said with more than a little awe. She'd been amused, privately, that he hadn't said 'nothing', when she asked what he thought she'd look good in. That was often the response when she'd asked the same question to john's. But then again, they had been paying her to be naked after all. It would make sense to say that.

Slowly, hesitantly, she reached out a hand to take the dress from him, stepping over to the nearby mirror to hold it up to her front to get a general idea how it might look on her. "I'm not for sure if I'd have the money for this though," she murmured, turning a little to look at it differently. But maybe she did, she wasn’t used to knowing what new things cost anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:42 pm GMT 

((Right! Let's go!))

Noah grinned at Ruth as she confirmed he had chosen well. Sometimes a day at the shop wasn't so bad; the first relatively interested customer had been drawn in by the first item he pulled out of the racks!

He let go of the dress so she could take it, and stood to the side of her, looking in the mirror at Ruth just as much as the dress she was holding. He was standing a little way back from her, though. No need to make her feel uncomfortable.

Noah took a step forward and lowered his voice once again to a whisper. "As I said before, I can apply my employee discount to this item. I'll just say you're my cousin and I owe you something, and my boss will understand. You in?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:42 pm GMT 

She felt his eyes on her and she could feel the flush starting on her face. It wasn't that she was unused to being looked at. She was very used to being looked at in fact. But it had been a little while since the man who'd been looking at her wasn't one who was paying her. And was one she found attractive all on his own. Not that he was leering, but it felt more intense than just doing his job, even if it was mainly that.

She looked over her shoulder at him as his offer and she was sure that her face looked as confused as she felt. What exactly was he trying to get at by making that sort of offer? He could very well just be being nice. Or even hoping to make a bigger sale if he made it 'cheaper' for her. But it was also entirely possible he wanted something more personal from her, like a date. Regardless of what he wanted though, was it worth saying no to the offer? She wouldn't mind going out with him if that was what he was after and the other reasons were harmless for her as well.

"Okay," she said with a little laugh, nodding her head and turning to face him fully. "I'll try not to smile at you too much then so he doesn't figure out the ruse. Hate to see a guy like you get in trouble." It was certainly a lot easier to talk to him if she acted like he was after her. She knew how to handle that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:26 am GMT 

For once in his life, Noah's reasons were rather benign. He was hoping that he might be able to get a date out of this- things had rather slowed down in his love life due to his commitments to training for the various runs- but for now he was just enjoying having another customer, to break up all the monotony of the first few hours of work.

"Well, that's very kind, madam. Presuming that you don't want anything else, if you'd follow me to the front of the store..." he began to walk that way, expecting her to follow him.