THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Solutions (Webwood and Anon)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:55 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
Theodore thought for a second. To be honest, he'd always said to Sara, his assistant, that he'd like to start ceding control of cases to her, and now seemed like the perfect time to begin this gradual change. Granted, he still had to be in the courtroom for the case of 'Dukakis vs .....', but nonetheless...

He viewed the impish grin on Warren's face with a little bit of distrust. Theodore wasn't quite expecting the scientist to pull a flask of cannabis and apple brandy, that was for sure. He trusted that it wasn't going to kill him, and tipping his head to Warren in thanks, drunk some of the liquid, and then put it to one side.

"Well, that's some concoction you've got there," he said, puckering his lips at the strong taste, made sour by the apple flavour. "I wouldn't worry about the social thing too much. Society needs people like you and me, the academic loners- if everyone had impeccable social skills and needed to be in groups all the time, we'd all go mad when we're alone." Theodore had actually surprised himself with his philosophical outburst.

Fitzgerald Bakara- The heavy-set Jamaican who's a real momma's boy.

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:45 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
Seeing distrust flash across Theodore’s face, Warren frowned. “Oh, I’m sorry. I suppose it would be odd to see a quiet scientist drinking his own ‘deviant concoction’. The drink is nothing special, with just enough extract to ‘relax ones psyche’, so to speak.”

Seeing Theodore’s face pucker after taking a sip, Warren picked up his pen and asked, “So…how does my little concoction taste? I don’t tend to share it often with others, but I figured that getting more opinions on its flavour would be a good idea. Currently I have been the only one to sample my little concoctions. A sample size of one is a case study at best, anecdotal at worst.”

“You know Theodore, that is a valid point” Warren said after listening to the little philosophical statement he made. Warren chuckled, “I suppose it would be peculiar to see a chemistry lab full of avid socialites all chatting and mingling.” Warren visualized his organized lab filled with loud, carousing people. “I cannot imagine the amount of damage that would be incurred, and the lack of work that would be done. Could you imagine someone spilling some trichloromethane in a room like that? Chaos, pure chaos.” Warren sat up a little taller, confidence bolstered by Theodore’s comments...and the various solutions he had been drinking that evening.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:31 am GMT 

Theodore sighed, relieved that he hadn't just drunk something strong enoughto knock him out. "Just like alcohol on its own, it's best to drink things in moderation, hm?" he said, returning to his whiskey for the time being.

The lawyer smiled, feeling good to be back in the world of science, if only for a night. "The taste isn't disagreeable, but it needs a bit less apple. That's not to say to increase the level of cannabis, but a reduction in the sour taste would go down well." He looked at Warren in mock suspicion. "You're not planning to market this, are you?"

Theodore imagined a group of chemistry students fainting, standing up, and then fainting again, and he had to swallow his mouthful of whiskey quickly before chuckling at the vision. "Yes, Warren, I think CHCl3 everywhere would be a nightmare...but then again, it does have it uses. If you really disliked a fellow student of yours..."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 am GMT 

"Undoubtedly, moderation is often the best option in many things", looking around the room, Warren spotted a cluster of intoxicated people trying to dance in front of the stage. "Best to not end up like those gentlemen over there, where most of their faculties have begun to depart with haste."

Jotting down some notes, Warren nodded, "Thanks for the input." He took another sip of his little concoction, swirling it in his mouth with a look of concentration on his face. "I suppose this might be a tad to sour for some people's tastes. I'll have to take that into account when I make the next batch". Catching the sarcasm, Warren responded in kind, "Me? A careful, law-abiding scientist? I would never think of marketing an illicit product such as this." Although, if I could sell some of the alcohol it could bolster my funding for my projects.

Warren laughed out loud. Is that the intoxicants flooding my system, or the Cannabis extract affecting my faculties at this point? "Yes, I suppose if I was at odds with a fellow student that would be an option to resolve the conflict, though it wouldn't be my first choice." Warren sat back, looking around at the bustling crowd that had only gotten bigger since he sat down. A thought popped into Warren's head, "Theodore, I know we just met, but if you would like I'd be happy to show you around my lab this evening. Besides, the number of people in this room is inversely proportional to how comfortable I feel in this place." The crowd was steadily getting closer to the corner table they sat around. More people means more wandering eyes, and a man with textbooks in a gin mill is a pretty obvious target for harassment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 am GMT 

Theodore too looked over to the group of drunk men dancing and laughed. "You know that someone's drunk when the Charleston begins to look like it's being performed by a turkey." On the feedback, he smiled. "No problem at all."

He was liking the banter they were having. It was good to be able to seemingly make a friend- his friends of late had been rather limited to his friends of his girlfriend, who included rednecks, leaders of prominent gangs, and of course a number of sly foxes also. "That's what all scientists say before they take the product and run," he said, winking.

Anyway, Theodore was glad that Warren was relaxing, and acquiesced to his offer. "Of course. I'm guessing that it isn't far from here? I haven't got a mind for directions, and I do need to get a little bit of sleep so I'm ready to tie up the case tomorrow, but it should be fine."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm GMT 

Warren stood up and stretched, feeling his joints protest from sitting for so long. He glanced at the bumbling dancers again, remembering sequences from the dance lessons his parents put him in as a boy. He wished he could have kept dancing, but while he could maneuver well on the dance floor, he was always lacking a partner with which to dance.

Closing his notebook, Warren added, “Run? Most of us can hardly walk! Our legs have atrophied from the amount of sitting and peering through a microscope we do!”. He began gathering his other books: a recent copy of Nature with the pages thoroughly tabbed and scribbled on, a hand-bound cluster of papers reviewing neurobiology and the nervous systems (also covered in Warren’s tight, left-slanted handwriting), and the copy of his manuscript, surprisingly unmarred by ink.

He closed and placed his hand on the copy of Grey’s Anatomy. “Please take care of this book, it’s rather old and I would hate to lose it to another wine spill” Warren replied. He had never lent one of his books out to someone before; he did not trust people with his private collection for the most part. Theodore seemed like the kind that would treat his books well, and if it was any indication tonight, he obviously had a knack for keeping books safe. Warren was glad that he had met this man, another quiet, quirky fellow that he could chat with so affably.

Placing his books into his canvas messenger bag, Warren wandered over to the bar. Chatting with the bartender and nodding, he reached into a pocket and casually paid the tab. Meandering back, Warren adjusted his tie and stood up straighter, “Well, we had better get going before it gets too late.” The later it gets, the more hazardous …albeit interesting… the streets will get.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 pm GMT 

Theodore laughed at the idea of an atrophy from sitting down for too long. "Well, if it's any consolation, I get exactly the same pain from standing up, pointing, and shouting 'Objection!' amongst other things..."

He had a look at the copy of Grey's Anatomy before picking it up, and picked up it up carefully, opening up his briefcase and somehow finding space for it amongst his papers. It was incredibly heavy, but he'd deal with it.

"You can count on me, Warren. Although some of my collection may be dusty, they're all in good condition- no spillages, bending, and so on." He smiled. Theodore needed a friend like Warren. His girlfriend Eliza and her sister were good enough to him, but he needed a break from their Southern quirks once in a while.

He watched Warren pay the tab, and when he walked back, Theodore gesticulated to his own pockets. "Are you sure you don't want some of that back? I did have a glass of whiskey, after all." He wasn't a particularly wealthy man, particularly with the time he'd had to take off, but thanks to the case today he had a little more than usual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:57 pm GMT 

Chuckling with Theodore, Warren added, “Well I suppose it is all the more reason for us to get moving; So I can run from the authorities for illegitimate “research endeavours” and so you can flee from the disgruntled clients.” Warren wondered what Theodore meant by “amongst other things”, but he could hold his curiosity in check for now. Is he referring to the shooting he was subject to, or something else?

Warren was relieved to see that Theodore cared for books as much as he himself did. Warren hated to see good books marred by spills and food or dog-eared by those too lazy to use a bookmark. It wasn’t often that he found another person that was as passionate for knowledge as Theodore. Warren was not the most social of individuals, and it was a treat for him to gain a friend such as Theodore.

Seeing Theodore scrounging his pockets, Warren waved him off, “No, no. I will cover the tab Theodore. Your fast reaction time saved me from losing a rare copy of that book there, which costs more than a single glass of whiskey by a modest margin.” Warren didn’t mention that his pockets were amply padded with his parents monthly cheques they sent him. His parents assumed that Warren would continue to live as luxuriously as his they did while living away from home. Warren didn’t need the amount of money they sent him, but he wasn’t about to pass up funds that could be spent on lab equipment and the occasional evening out.

Shouldering his bag, Warren walked over to the door. He opened the old oak door of the establishment, and gesturing out, he said, “After you, good sir”.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm GMT 

Theodore smiled. "I like the phrase 'research endeavours'. It makes everything that a person does sound more...well, legitimate!"

He took his hand out of his pockets and bowed his head for a short moment in thanks. He could afford the drinks, but he wasn't the wealthiest man on Earth, so every bit of money he could save was a bonus. "I'll take your word for it. Thank you, Warren,"

He walked out of the door, before turning around and holdng the door for warren at the other end. "Sir? Well, I suppose it would go well with my Greek name, the one mother still calls me. Sir Feodor..."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 pm GMT 

“You are quite welcome, Theodore.” Warren said as he passed Theodore. This speakeasy in particular was located in the back of a bookstore, which consequently drew clientele from the university nearby. The light from the open door to the speakeasy reflected off the wet concrete below.

Maneuvering between the puddles, Warren eventually walked out from the cover of the alleyway into the light of a streetlamp. It was still gently showering in the street. It was not the type of rain that soaks through your clothes, but more the type that fell like a mist after a heavy storm.

The shadow cast by the streetlamp stretched Warren’s shadow, making him appear gangly and spectral; a scarecrow misplaced in the city streets. The light shadowed his sheepish grin he gave Theodore, “Oh, I'm sorry. I don’t have to use formal language with friends. I’m around so many stodgy professors and prudish folk that I forget that the rest of society doesn’t speak with such embellishments as ‘sir’ or ‘madam’.”

“Well we had better get moving. It’s only about a 10 minute walk, and rain isn't too bad so we shouldn't be that damp by the time we get to the lab.” Warren said, before starting off, moving briskly with a long, loping gate.

“So Theodore, your parents were Greek then? Does your mother live here in St.Louis?” Warren asked, curious about the origins of his new friend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm GMT 

(Apologies for the long hiatus!)

Theodore surveyed the racks of books eagerly as he passed, his fingers getting twitchy. He remembered when he used to steal from bookstores...

He walked out into the rain without much of a thought, given that he wasn't really affected by the weather at any time of year. "So much time is spent shouting in the court of law that I think most witnesses or defendants end up forgetting embellishments. That figures."

Theodore had to walk more quickly to keep up with Warren as he replied to the student's question, having to step twice as fast to match the long footsteps of his friend.

"Yes, both my parents are Greek. Or, in the case of my father, was Greek. I'm the only one to stay in St. Louis. My mother is back home, and my brother is travelling..."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 pm GMT 

(No worries, glad you're finally back!)

Noticing Theodore’s accelerated pace; Warren slowed his pace from a gazelle-like lope to a lanky stroll. The rain continued to fall at a steady pace as the duo wandered the streets.

Warren laughed at the mention of cacophony in the courtroom. “Ah, yes I suppose that a courtroom debate could get very heated in a short period of time.” It reminded him of his father’s arguments with coworkers, or the board meetings he was forced to sit through as a child to “learn how this business was run”. Civility and sophistication tended to disappear in short order when business partnerships turned into hostile takeovers.

“Interesting. So you obviously still keep in touch with your mother then? Greece must be a fascinating place; full of ancient history and the birthplace of some extremely influential philosophical figures. Have you considered visiting sometime in the future?” Warren debated asking about Theodore’s brother, but the intonation of his voice whenever he mentioned him made Warren avoid the topic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:56 pm GMT 

Theodore gave a relieved sigh as Warren slowed down. As much as he wanted to get to the university soon and see all of Warren's scientific equipment, he wasn't going to destroy his legs in doing so. In a few days, he'd be standing for long periods of time in another case.

"Yes, I try to send a letter a week to my mother. She relies on me for money to live on; it's another reason why I can't leave my current job. Rather oddly, I have never visited the country of my parent's birth...the funds haven't been there, really."

He appreciated Warren not asking about his brother; his fur had bristled in anticipation of the question. Valentin's story could wait for another time.

"So what about you, Mr Perrin? Where do your roots lie?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:22 pm GMT 

“Oh, I suppose that I’ve not told you anything about myself other than my education.” Warren began with a light tone, recalling his youth, “I was born in Toronto, Canada. My parents are both second generation Canadians: My father’s heritage was British, and my mother’s French. Mr. Perrin Senior has runs a number of mines back in Canada, but decided that he would find better investors in the United States.”

Warren’s whiskers twitched with irritation as he recalled his childhood. He continued, voice becoming chilly, “My life there was…restricted…I was taught a number of skills revolving around social etiquette and business management: useful skills, except the equine handling class, but it all felt so hollow.”
“At fourteen my family and I moved here to St.Louis. Here, I managed to flee from their suffocating grasp. Somehow, I persuaded my parents that University would be beneficial to the business. They live a distance out of the city, so they tried to set me up in a property close to the university.”

Warren took a deep breath, sighing and relaxing his shoulders. “They still send me funds to cover the housing costs, but I moved out to the dorms the same year I started my program.” He shrugged, “They are significantly less expensive, and it gives me some extra money to fund my other side projects.” Warren forwent mentioning the amount of money he was receiving, hopefully avoiding the subject of his ample funds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 am GMT 

Theodore listened with interest, having already detected a small hint of Canadian pronunciation in Warren's speech earlier. He, then, however, began to frown as details of the man's home life became apparent. The lawyer felt as if he complained his own life far too much, when in fact boarding school didn't sound too bad compared to Warren's experiences.

"Indeed, I would have moved to the dorms in your circumstances. As well as being cheaper, they are far better for socialising, whether you want the end product of socialising to be a partner in the labs or a partner in love." He shrugged. "It's a multi-purpose thing."