THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:44 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
 Post subject: Unusual Solutions (Webwood and Anon)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:34 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pioneer of Aimless Wandering
((So here goes, I hope this works out!))

I was a rather ordinary day at the speakeasy. The liquor was flowing, the band was playing, and the patrons were happy. That is, except for the one fellow at the table in the back. He was tall, and somewhat dishevelled, looking irritated and slightly singed around the edges. Even more peculiar was the fact that he was surrounded by books. Who brings books to a gin mill?

Warren sat in his favourite olive vest, fidgeting in his seat. Three books were open in front of him, each covered in notes scribbled in a tight, formal script. He looked down at his singed and water-damaged notebook. It must have been some contaminated reagents, there is no conceivable way that my isolation procedure would cause spontaneous ignition of the solution! He took off his glasses and placed them on the table, massaging his temples. Looking down, he saw that his argyle tie was covered in a large blotch of purple. Stained again, fantastic. Is that iodine? I’ll never get that out. Damn, I liked that tie.

An empty wine glass was sitting atop one of the volumes, precariously perched on top of an aging copy of “Grey’s Anatomy” and a paper draft of “The psycho-physiological effects of Lophophora williamsii and Erythroxylum coca extracts on mammalian nervous systems” folded within.

Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Solutions (Webwood and Anon)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:12 am GMT 

Custom Title: Wearer of the Sacred Pince-Nez
((Spot on! That's a great introduction :D))

Theodore adjusted his tie as he walked into the speakeasy. The lawyer was dressed in a three piece suit- he had just come from the law firm, where he had successfully defended his client in the court of law. Although he disliked his job, today had been an easy day. He now wanted a refreshing drink to add the cherry to the icing.

His eyes scouted the densely packed speak, trying to find a place to sit. He remembered meeting his girlfriend in a situation like this. He wished she were there- he always felt more comfortable when she was around. Right now there were just eyes staring at him, judging him. His taste for alcohol mainly came from a desire to relax and not notice these things.

Theodore spotted a dishevelled looking young man on a table by himself.

Well, he looks like a interesting sort to speak to... and there is nowhere else to sit.

He walked over to the table, and clearing his throat, said to the man:

"Erm, excuse me, would I be able to sit with you?"

Fitzgerald Bakara- The heavy-set Jamaican who's a real momma's boy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am GMT 

((Stellar! Lets see where this goes!))

“Uh, yes, I’ll have another glass of the Merlot if that’s alr…” Warren looked up from his notes. A young gentleman stood at his table.

“Oh, hello, I thought you were one of the servers, my mistake.”

Warren sat up, adjusted his tie and tried to adjust his rumpled clothing. Grabbing his glasses and placing them on his face, he finally got a good look at the fellow. He was wearing a three-piece suit, and stood quietly waiting for Warrens answer. Some sort of businessman, by the way he carries himself. I suppose I could do for a break from this blasted project.

“Yes yes, feel free. Just let me make some room for you” Warren said as he began moving books to make room for the man. Standing up, warren reached across the table to grab the books, simultaneously tipping his wineglass over with his sleeve and spilling the dregs of the wine on one of the books.

Forgetting the man watching, Warren frantically reached for the glass, "No, my books!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:11 am GMT 

Theodore smiled appreciatively as the man cleared his books away, but that turned into a frown as the purplish-blue Merlot wine spilt all over the books on the table. He felt his heart pang at the panic the unkempt man showed, and Theodore's own love of books caused him to act fast.

Spotting a glass of white wine left unattended on an empty table, he put down his briefcase, dashed over and picked it up. The lawyer then ran back to the table with the books and spilled the white wine over the books, smiling shyly but triumphantly as the red wine stain faded.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to put you through any anguish," Theodore said, scratching the back of his head embarrassedly. "I'm happy to see my Chemistry course at school get some use!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:46 am GMT 

Warren sighed with relief at the man’s quick response. A knowledge of chemistry. More than a businessman then, I suppose? Regaining his composure, Warren adjusted his shoulders and stood tall, formally extending a purple-stained hand in greeting.

“Warren Perrin, a pleasure to be in your acquaintance. I cannot thank you enough for saving my books”. Warren was surprised to find someone with a modest grasp of chemistry so close at hand, especially in such a place as this. He didn't know what he would have done if he had to bring that ancient copy of "Grey's Anatomy" back to the library with a large purple splotch on the front cover.

“I believe I owe you a drink for saving my books”. Pen still in his opposite hand, Warren waived over one of the serving girls.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:23 pm GMT 

Theodore poured the remaining white wine onto his hand before shaking Warren's hand. He noticed how formal Warren was when speaking and presumed he was from a rich background- unlike many of the patrons here...

"Theodore Dukakis, Dukakis & Son law firm. Pleased to meet you too." He looked around the speakeasy nervously for a second before turning back to face Warren. "Sorry, I always have to be careful here. More often than not somebody involved in my cases are round here. I even got shot by a guy once..."

His ears perked at the offer of a drink. "Well sure, I won't stop you. A whiskey for me, if they have some," he said, sitting down at the opposite end of the table to where Warren had sat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:39 pm GMT 

Seeing Theodore glance around nervously, Warren immediately did the same. Warren! Not so loud, someone could hear you. You don’t want to be kidnapped and ransomed again… “It is a pleasure to meet you. ” Sitting down, Warren saw the waitress approaching. Oh no, not the talkative one.

The waitress wandered over, a waif of a girl that had a perky bounce to her step. “Hello Warren! Care for another glass of that fine wine for a fine fellow like yourself!” She stepped close and placed a hand on his shoulder. Warren shifted, visibly uncomfortable, “Oh…hello Agnes. I’ll have another glass of the Merlot, and Theodore here will have a glass of whichever whiskey is finest”.

“Alright honey, I’ll be right back!”. Agnes bounced off. Warren visibly relaxed, not realizing how much he tensed up at her presence.

“Ahem… well where were we. Oh right, you’re a lawyer. I understand your need for discretion. I hate using my surname; it attracts crowds that I don’t particularly enjoy”. Sitting up, Warren reopened his notebook and started doodling in the margins. “Might I ask how you managed to get shot?” Warren said, curiosity evident in his eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm GMT 

Theodore shifted in his seat, and was quite amused by the talkative waitress and especially Warren's reaction to her. He seemed to immediately classify Warren as the son of a rich man due to the way he spoke, but because of the crumpled clothes he had to rethink that evaluation.

The lawyer sat back. He would show Warren his wound, but he wasn't much of a shower in that sense. Also, the investigation surrounding the shooting had just finished, so he needed to stay low.

"Oh, someone not particularly happy with my etiquette during a case I was prosecuting decided to attack me. This happened in a speakeasy with a no-violence policy, and he may have been, uh," he looked away, "incarcerated. His friends weren't happy, so they took it out on me and my girlfriend, naturally."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:38 pm GMT 

Still doodling in the notebook, Warren nodded, “Undoubtedly, people tend to dislike lawyers, especially the ones that they are losing the lawsuit to”. He remembered a time when he was dragged to court with his father, who won a suit over a disputed land claim. The glares from the losing party were scathing. No doubt the loud bang Warren woke up to that night was a final point being made to some of the more disgruntled defendants.

“Speaking of lawyers, how did one such as yourself come to know the chemical properties of white wine? Do you happen to dabble in the hard sciences?” Warren said, his idle doodling turning into Lewis structures and chemical formulae.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:26 pm GMT 

Theodore nodded, rolling his arm around a little as if the memory had brought back the pain of the incident. "They don't realise that we're just being paid to do what we do. I've fought cases for some individuals I didn't particularly care for, but it's all a part of the job."

He peered over at the scribbles that Warren was making in the notebook, and faintly recognised some of the chemical formulae. He remembered some things faintly- for instance, how the more reactive halides displaced the less reactive ones in solution, but it was just that, faint.

"I suppose dabble is the right word, yes. I went to boarding school, and it tended to be multi-disciplinary, so chemistry and biology were especially on the horizon. Speaking of which, I never wanted to be a lawyer..."

"Anyway, I'm presuming that you're from a academic establishment. University?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm GMT 

Warren saw Theodore roll his shoulder subconsciously. Shot in the shoulder, not too bad of a place to be hit. No vital organs if the round penetrated high enough, a bony scapula to take the brunt of the blow.

Warren nodded, “Indeed, the lawyer’s profession is one of neutrality with all clients, even when you know they are little more than pond scum”. Theodore’s mention of his aversion to his profession reminded Warren of his parents. Look at our little Warren managing out accounts! Soon enough he will be able to take over the business himself. Looking down, Warren began angrily scratching lines across his drawings. His tone became cooler “Why didn’t you become a doctor? Did outside forces influence your decision?.”Where was my opinion in the matter? Did they ever ask if Warren wanted to be a business tycoon?

The next question roused Warren from his introversion. Looking up, he smiled a friendly smile, “But I digress. Yes, I happen to be in academia. Currently I am attending the University of St.Lawrence. I major in Plant Biochemistry, and dabble in Anatomy and Physiology”. Motioning to the manuscript, Warren added, “That’s my little pet-project currently. One of many, in fact. You should stop by my lab sometime.”

((Edit: Made it sound more Warren-y, I felt that the earlier iteration was a little too up-front and abrupt for him, I hope that's alright.))

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:55 am GMT 

Theodore also nodded at Warren's comment. He wouldn't particularly call them pond scum himself, but it was true, he had to be neutral and unbiased in everything he did.

He sighed. "Yes, I suppose you could call them outside forces. My father died about eleven years ago, and he was the founder of the law firm. My mother insisted that a Dukakis had to be in the business for the name 'Dukakis & Son' name to make any sense. My older brother decided to travel and forget about life in general, so it fell to me."

"Granted, the job could be far worse, but it's not ideal," Theodore said, looking morosely down at the table. He looked back at Warren in time to catch the friendly smile, which he returned.

"I'd, er, love to stop by your lab sometime, if that's alright. In a few years I become 'of age' and gain majority control of the company, so from then on I can do whatever I want. Sometimes, I think knowing that something you sorta dislike is going to end is worse than not knowing at all," he said.

"And I'd certainly like to look at doing a medical course. I've heard a lot about St. Lawrence- I was enrolled in the St. Louis University School of Law myself."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:27 pm GMT 

“Valid point. It seems that you did not have much choice in the matter. Although, I suppose that working at a law firm is a rather reliable position, especially if your family founded that particular firm”. Warren thought about his potential position as the manager of his father’s mining company. He felt a tinge of guilt, somewhat regretting the fact that he dislikes the idea of running his parents’ business. Many would pay anything to be in the position he was currently in.

Warren smiled, glee evident in his eyes, “It is not often that I have visitors in my lab. I would love to show you some of the work I've been doing looking at the effects of plant isolates on the developmental stages of the brain. It’s fascinating research.” With the added benefit of having a readily available source of a variety of recreational stimulants and hallucinogens.

Upon hearing that Theodore went to St. Louis University as well, and his comment on taking some medical courses, Warren added, “Really? I'm almost surprised that we didn't see each other somewhere on the campus. If you plan on taking some medical courses, I would be happy to tutor and help out.” Warren slid the copy of “Grey’s Anatomy” over to Theodore. “Here take this, I don’t need this currently. It was a more casual read.”

“Drinks for the gentlemen!” Agnes said, skilfully sliding the two drinks onto the table and sneaking a kiss on Warren’s cheek as she whirled past. Completely caught off guard, Warren froze up. What do I do? Did she just kiss me? Was she flirting earlier, is that what that was? What's the social protocol in this situation?

Agnes giggled, “Warren come on, loosen up, I'm just playing!” Looking at Theodore, she added “All his books and he still can’t riddle out the kinder sex?” giggling again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:00 am GMT 

Theodore smiled. "Yes, it is reliable. I'm well trusted there, and I'm not sure whether to regret the fact I'm making a name for myself. I mean, my assistant is a lady, and she's growing up to be one of the brightest prospects in St. Louis law for a while, so I suppose I'm making a change. But enough about me."

He listened intently to Warren, growing excited at the idea that he could at least get some experience before he was able to get out his job, and pursue his dreams. However, the lawyer soon calmed himself down- any time he would be able to utilise things he learnt from Warren would be years away. His job was often too demanding to take any time to do a degree, even part-time.

"So are we taking about that stuff that the Jamaicans like to take? The name evades me, but it's rather impressive how much effect burning a plant and inhaling its fumes can have..." However, he accepted the copy of Grey's Anatomy with glee. Bedtime reading, I suppose.

"Well, again, thank you for the offer. It would be nice to just...you know, do some thinking and academic activities that wasn't battling a case, you know?"

His ears perked as the waitress slid by and deposited their drinks. Theodore smiled as he sipped at his drink, watching Warren flail around to Agnes' obvious flirting.

He grinned at Agnes. "Books are no good. I tried to learn dancing from one, and the minute I utilised what I'd learnt, I stepped on a guy's foot. What you need, Warren, is real life experience," he joked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:56 am GMT 

“It’s good that you are at least making some change in the system. And at least women are actually joining the faculty of law, sciences are still woefully devoid of females at this point”.

Warren saw Theodore getting excited at the prospect of rejoining the academia. “Yes, if you have the time I would be happy to have a spare pair of hands in the lab. I could even begin teaching you some of the techniques I use to isolate some of the plant extracts. If your coworker is as adept as you claim, could you not ‘shuffle’ some responsibilities to her, opening up some time to dabble in the fine art of science?”

An impish grin crossed Warren’s face when Theodore mentioned the “Jamaican plant” “Ah, you speak of the plant Cannabis sativa. It’s related to the hemp plant, the one that’s so popular on the industrial scale. I more commonly work with other plants, like Peyote and Coca plants, but…”. Looking around, Warren reached into his bag and brought out a small flask and a pair of 25 ml beakers, Warren poured an amber liquid into each. “This is of my own making, a fine drink composed of oil from the Cannabis plants trichomes blended with an apple brandy. Care to try some?” looking up at Theodore with and sliding the beaker across the table.

Ignoring Agnes’ comments, Warren looked sullenly down at his little beaker, wine pushed to the side “I know I need some experience, I am woefully slow at picking up these particular social queues, unfortunately.” Swirling the beaker, he quickly drank it down, the effervescent, sweet (and a little pungent) fluid slipping down his throat. Hopefully this will bolster my confidence.