THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:54 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: Cut Off The Time [Frank!]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
The mist hung low over the Mississippi as Astor looked out at the water, eyes narrowed. He leaned against the brickwork of the old shipping building behind him, the cold brick biting his back through his coat and shirt though he ignored it. His ears twitched, piqued for any sound of movement, anything that would give away the sound of the approach of his partner for the night. He flexed his gloved fingers, chasing away the chill from the digits before pulling free his golden cigarette case. He clicked it open and pulled one free before snapping the case closed and pulling the matching lighter.

His eyes fluttered closed for a moment as he pulled in that first drag and released it through his mouth. That sweet feeling of nicotine in his blood, calming him. He looked back out to the river and the fog.

Life seemed so much. . .slower here, compared to Chicago. Astor wasn't sure if he liked it. It felt as though he had to try too hard to be invisible here, and there were far too few places of class for him to retreat to. The honest truth was that he missed home. And he missed Charlie, though he would never admit it for the world.

"Where the hell is that idiot. . ." he muttered, mood turning dark.

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Do you wanna have a bad time?
 Post subject: Re: Cut Off The Time [Frank!]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Do you wanna have a bad time?
"Damn, where was it again?" Richard said to himself. As he ran through the sidewalk, holding a big suitcase in his right hand, his footsteps echoing all around him, sounding even louder against the deafening silence of the night. He hated to admit it, but for once he was lost. Well, not so much lost as in not knowing where he was, it was more like not knowing where he had to go. All because he had let himself get distracted. "It's all that stupid deer's fault." he kept repeating to himself. He knew he wasn't the most stable individual, but he usually knew better than to trust his eyes, even when it was obvious they were playing tricks on him. Again.

It had been happening all the time since he got up that morning. He kept seeing things that were obviously not there. After all, how often do you see a deer jumping down from a building and walk camly into a crowd of people? He had been seeing bizarre things like that since he was young. But they were usually a rare occurrence. Not today. And thanks to some rather bad experiences in the past, he knew that if he saw more than three of these things in the same day, something bad was bound to happen. This had been the fifth time of the day.

"I shouldn't have followed that stupid deer." He thought to himself, trying to find the meeting place. He runned for a while until, finally after what felt like an eternity, he had found it. The old bulding stood just in front of him. Now he just had to find his partner for the night. Hopefully, this job would make up for the weirdness he had to put up that day. "At least I don't see any more deers", he thought, as he began walking towards the building.

Only if it is profitable to me. -Virgil Mauvais

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:39 pm GMT 

It wasn't too much longer before Astor spotting a shape walking out of the fog, a fairly average man of similar age to himself it seemed. His eyes flicked to the briefcase and he straightened off of the wall, taking one last drag before he tossed it to the pavement and ground it out with the heel of his shoe. Äntligen - fan ta honom för sin oprofessionell uppträdande! His lip curled slightly in distaste as he watched the man close the distance. So this was to be his partner for the night. He could hear the man muttering under his breath and his hopes began to sink into the pit of his stomach.

Something told him it would be a long night.

He cleared his throat then, looking down his nose slightly at Richard. "I take it you are the partner?" he asked in a clipped, cold tone. All business - this was not a social call, this was not something he enjoyed. This was work, and he would damn well treat it with the proper respect. From the corner of his eye, he noticed his cuff-link had come undone and he paused to rebutton it before looking at the man again. "Do you have the documents? The information on the target? I would rather this not take all night, if that is all right with you." There was a hint of a scathing barb, a light reprimand for being late.

With a faint air of impatience, he held out his gloved hand for the papers.

(Finally - may the devil take him/fuck him for his unprofessional conduct!)

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 pm GMT 

Richard quickly noticed the figure, laying back against the wall. It took him a moment to realize this was his partner for the night, and not yet another hallucination (the lack of blood and antlers gave it away though.). He approached the man, taking a look back to make sure nobody was looking. As soon as he heard him speak, he felt the disapproval in his voice. He had been waiting for him for a while now. And he was not happy. Still, he tried his best to save face.
"Yeah, that would be me. I take it you're Mr. Astor right?".

"Sorry about the delay, got a bit sidetracked." Richard said, chuckling nervously, taking a quick look around. He was not giving his partner a good first impression, and he was well aware of that. And for some reason, that bothered him. Like he was being judged just because he was late.

As he took a moment to rapidly inspect the man, he though to himself "Great, one of them serious type." . His voice, his looks, his mannerisms, they all gave the same air: cold and straight to the point. A true professional. At least, he gave off that impression. Quite the contrast against Richard and his crazed gunman look. That, and he seemed to treat this job a bit too formal for Richard's liking.

"How come I'm the only one who enjoys this job? I can't really be the only lunatic who likes it."

As soon as Astor asked for the papers, Richard opened the suitcase and began looking for them, muttering to himself with as much sarcasm as he could, "Por supuesto, no querria hacerte perder tu valioso tiempo." After a moment he took out an already open envelope, and handed it to Astor.
"Here's the docs. I took the liberty of reading them on the way here. Seems like a pretty simple job, if you ask me."
He waited a moment for Astor to finish reading, before asking, "So uh, how do you want to do this?"

(Of course, would't want to waste your valuable time.)

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:39 pm GMT 

Astor took in the man's state, the rather disheveled look and the hint of instability in his eyes, and mentally groaned. He already had a growing feeling that the evening would not be quite as clean and simple and quick that he had hoped it would be when he had taken it. He didn't bothered to check the area with Richard, having already done so several times, and instead kept his eyes firmly on the other man. He didn't answer the somewhat scattered apology; it only reinforced his original thesis of the man being unprofessional.

When the man spoke, Astor's ear flicked and he quirked a brow, taking the documents and looking over them. "Pero tú lo hiciste," he replied, tone sharp, unforgiving. "But yes, the job doesn't seem to terribly difficult."

It was a simple job, indeed - infiltrate and kill, as quickly and cleanly as possible. The target, a low-level gang member from New York, had over-stepped his bounds and irritated one of Astor's occasional clients. The location was a rather small, run-down motel in the seedier part of town. A murder there wouldn't raise too many eyebrows in the end, and most wouldn't talk for fear of reprisal, but Astor was cautious. He nodded to himself before slipping the documents into his inner pocket.

"We should perhaps take some precautions - absolutely no names - in case of witnesses, but it should not be a problem." He readjusted his gloves. "They want it done tonight. The motel is only a block or two from here. I'll handle it, you keep look out - will that be acceptable?"

The temperature had dropped and he put slipped his hands into his pockets, finally checking the area again, seeing nothing but the mist that had thickened with the ticking hour. He was beginning to feel impatient again, wanting to be done with the job, or at least being doing something to move things forward. He'd wasted to much time, he felt, and a certain restlessness had infected his limbs as he shifted in place, ears twitching.

("But you have.")

— Carl Sandburg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:45 pm GMT 

"Really? Fucking really?" Now this was starting to be too much for Richard. Not only was he mocking and berating him for being late, but on his native tongue aswell? "I can't believe the nerve of this guy. Maldito cabeza de huevo." he thought. He felt a slight pain in the back of the head. Every time his partner for the night opened his mouth, he felt that way, and it only kept getting worse by the minute. But the worst part was Astor's plan, or at least, the part Richard would play in it.

He tried his best to hide his dissapointment. Being the lookout meant he probably wouldn't get to shoot anything for the remainder of the night. Needless to say, Richard was not happy with this decision. But, his partner seemed to have a plan already, and he didn't feel like arguing tonight.
Richard thought of the many things he could say to him (most of involved name calling), but ultimately decided that getting the job done was more important than his need for violence, so he simply answered: "Fine by me."

He covered his face with his hand, letting out a long, dissapointed sigh.
"Good thing I didn't brought the big guns, I'm I right?" He said, trying to sound cheerful. Frankly, he had only brought a pistol to make things interesting for him. Sort of a "self imposed challenge". Not that it mattered anymore.

He let out one last sigh and said: "Lead the way, I'm right behind you".

(Freaking egghead)