THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:16 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Re: Fresh Off the Train ((Frank))
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:24 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Once everything with the new apartment was settled, Violet dumped her new clothes onto her bed, deciding to handle those later and made her way back downstairs, still in her old overalls and her hat hiding her hair. She could have cleaned up, yes, but she didn't see the point. She didn't really know when was the last time she'd had a proper bath, and it didn't bother her much. Besides, she thought it'd be rude to leave Richard waiting downstairs.

"All right, I think everything's settled," she said as she came back over to her new partner. It was such an odd feeling, thinking about how she now had a permanent place. Somewhere she'd always return to. An actual bed to sleep in...

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Do you wanna have a bad time?
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:04 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Do you wanna have a bad time?
"Good to hear." Richard replied to her, as he took out the enveloped from his pocket, and showed it to Violet.
"Guess what? I think we just got ourselves another job!" he said with a smile on his face. While he was still a bit tired from last night, he was still eager to get back on the job.

"And before you ask, no, I don't know what the job is. Yet." He was about to open the envelope to take a look, but decided not to, at least not there. "I should find a better place to look at it." He wasn't a paranoid person, but he usually tried to not take unnecessary risks. Besides, something else was on his mind at the moment.

"You know, I'm really hungry right now. Why don't we find somewhere else to eat, and maybe we can take a peek and see what will be in store for us." He said while putting the envelope in his pocket.

Only if it is profitable to me. -Virgil Mauvais

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 am GMT 

Violet adjusted her hat a little, watching Richard closely and studying the envelope he had. Another job already? That was fast. She couldn't help but wonder if there were any breaks between the jobs. If she was going to be staying here in St. Louis, working here, she'd need time to get to know the city.

"Food sounds good," Violet said, looking to the envelope Richard had, "Do you usually get jobs so close together?"

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:32 pm GMT 

"Well, it depends really." He replied while scratchng his head, "It's not really something I have that much control over. They just sorta...come to me and ask me to do these jobs. I only have control over which jobs I take and which I don't. Sometimes, very rarely, I don't even have that choice." He let out a sigh. He stopped his rambling for a moment, trying to remember when was the last time they had, for lack of a better word, forced him to take in a job. And more importantly, was this job one of those occasions?

"Anyway" Richard finally said after a moment, before carrying on with his explanation: "Sometimes the jobs can come one after the other, with barely any time between them. Sometimes I don't get work for over a week or so. And then sometimes your employers are so happy with the job you just did they just want to give you another one right after it. And this is one of those times. But enough about that, you can ask me any other question you have about this on the way to dinner." He said, while walking to the door.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:59 pm GMT 

Violet nodded, silently letting Richard's explanation sink in as she followed him out the door. Sometimes one after another, and sometimes long breaks between? That would be something interesting to adjust to. She couldn't remember ever having so much as a single day she wasn't out on a street, watching people go by and studying for any signs of a good target to get a few dollars for food. Even when she was sick, she'd be out working. She never had the option of just being lazy. It was survival for her.

"Well, at least it keeps you busy," she said finally.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:36 am GMT 

"You got that right." Richard replied. Even though he liked to have a free day from time to time, he usually hated not having something to do, a goal, something to keep himself busy. Ever since he was little, he had that need to do something all the time, he couldn't just stay still on one spot not doing anything. Some might find that as curse, others as a blessing. As for Richard, he really didn't mind it: That's the way he was, and that was it.

As they walked down the street, he kept looking for a place to eat. Really, he only wanted to find a place so they could look what was inside the envelope. The food was just a bonus.
"So, any place that catches your eye?" he asked.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm GMT 

"I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but I'm not picky," Violet said simply, "Food is food."

It was just who she was. Growing up on the streets, she learned to appreciate what little she got, when she got it. Clothes, a warm bed, food...It was all the same to her. She knew that it was probably something that would change the longer she stayed in St. Louis, but just that morning she'd woken up in an abandoned train car. Yet now she had an apartment, an actual bed, and clean, brand new clothes that were waiting in a closet. A bathroom where she could actually have a proper bath later on if she wanted. A chance to actually be fully clean for the first time in years...It was still overwhelming in many ways.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:06 pm GMT 

He couldn't help but smile at the answer. "Right, I forgot who I was talking to." he replied jokingly. "Well then, I guess we won't be going to any fancy restaurant tonight."

Although he was trying to ease Violet into her new lifestyle, he knew that so many changes so soon had to be at least a little overwhelming. Especially for someone who jumped from almost complete porverty to owning a place in less than a day. He wondered for a moment how his life could have been, if he had to live in the street. Would his life had been the same? Probably not. Regardless, he stopped thinking about it almost inmediattly, and decided to keep looking for a place to eat.

After some time walking he finally found something. It was a small family restaurant. The place looked like it was full of people, (mostly families and some married couples) but he knew they would probably found an empty table inside. If not, he could always convince someone to give them a table.

"What about there? Would that be enough to please you?" He asked, with a slight hint of sarcasm.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm GMT 

"Yeah, I don't think a fancy place would let me through the door," Violet said with a roll of her eyes. Some grungy person who obviously hadn't had a bath in who-knows-how-long, wearing worn-out clothes that looked as if they should be tossed or burned? She wouldn't be welcome anywhere near a place of upper class.

When they came to the diner, Violet picked up on Richard's sarcasm immediately and she gave him a smirk.

"It will do," she said in a mock-tone of as if she were lowering her standards. She had to admit, the fact Richard treated her so normal, instead of some street rat that needed to be pitied, was nice.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:56 pm GMT 

"Well, then let's go already, I'm starving" Richard replied with a smile, and as he began opening the door added "And just for the record, if we ever go to a fancy restaurant, i promise you that as soon as they know you're with me they'll treat you better than any other client."

As they made their way between the tables, looking for a place to sit, Richard could feel the stares some of the customers were giving him. He already knew before entering that he and Violet would really stand out, but it still felt a bit odd, being in the spotlight without having done anything other than looking a bit diferent than the average customer.

Still, most of the stares came from little kids, so he couldn't get angry at them even if he tried, so he instead focused his mind on finding an empty table. After a brief moment he finally found one just in the corner. "Now to wait for the waiter to come" he thought to himself as he sat on one of the chairs.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:28 am GMT 

Violet was uncomfortable with the stares. She was used to being ignored. After all, people rarely paid attention to the homeless. Having people stare at her so openly made her feel restless. All she could think was there was no way she could sneak a wallet when so many people were watching...Not that she had any need to steal now. But just that morning, she had the need for it and now she didn't. It was going to be a hard habit to break, wanting to pickpocket anyone she passed...

Violet sat slowly in the seat across from Richard, glancing around the restaurant. As habit, she found herself mapping ways she could escape...Through the kitchens, maybe? Maybe there was a bathroom with a window just big enough for her to get through...

'Stop, you won't need to escape, you're not doing anything,' Violet told herself.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 pm GMT 

While he waited patiently for the waiter to come and take their order, Richard couldn't help but notice the way Violet kept looking around, with a nervous look on her face. He wondered for a moment what could be causing it, until he figured it was probably all the staring they were getting.
"Hey, relax" he said, trying to sound comforting "There's no reason to be nervous. They're probably never seen the likes of us in a place like this. Just try to ignore them". Though, in reality, he too was beginning to feel annoyed by the stares. He contemplated the possibility of scaring them off somehow. Maybe picking on the family sitting a few feet away from them? Or maybe threaten that one kid who kept staring at him? "No, I should really try to stay low tonight" he though to himself, doing his best to ignore the sudden urge to punch something.

At last, the waiter arrived. He was obviously having a bad night, what with all the clients and him being the only waiter working. Still, he tried to be as polite as possible, despite being tired.

"Are you ready to order?" he asked.

"Yes, I would like you to bring me the biggest steak you have." Richard answered, saying the first thing that came to mind. "And a jar of water."

The waiter nodded, and then asked Violet "And for you miss?"

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:29 am GMT 

"I'm not used to being noticed," Violet said a bit sharply, glancing around the room. At least to these people, she probably just seemed like some homeless boy a man was taking pity on. Still, she didn't like being noticed. She didn't like stares. She liked being the person that people didn't notice.

The waiter came over and asked their orders and Violet realized she hadn't even looked at the menu. She grabbed it and stared for a moment. She wasn't exactly the best at reading and it took her a bit longer than needed to decipher the words.

"Beef stew," she finally muttered uncomfortably, "And water."

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:12 pm GMT 

"Alright, I'll be back with your drinks." The waiter said, as he walked away and dissapeared into the kitchen.

Richard followed the waiter with his gaze for a moment, then turned around to face Violet again.
"I know, being the centre of attention feels odd. I too prefer going unnoticed," he said to her. Then, after thinking for a moment, he shrugged and said "though considering my line of work, that's kind of a requirement. Anyways, don't worry, i think they're finally getting bored of staring at us."

Aparently the people's surprise was wearing off, because some of the stares were finally looking away, going back to their own business. Except for that damned kid that just didn't stopped looking at him.

That's when Richard finally remembered about the envelope. He took it out of his pocket and gave it a quick look.
"Ok, I think that's enough suspense, let's see whats inside!" he said, a hint of excitement in his voice. He opened it quickly, and took a peek inside. Inside there was a document and a couple of pictures. Richard took the document out and looked at it closer.
The document had a set of instruccions detailing the job, and an address. The pictures were two, one showed the outside of a building, the other was a picture of a well-dressed man.

"Well, this is... interesting." Richard said as he read the instructions. "It has to do with sneaking, and murder. Here, have a look." He said as he passed the document to Violet, while he examined the pictures. The first picture showed the outside of a fancy restaurant. It wasn't any restaurant Richard knew, but anyone could have guessed it was most likely just a fancy front for a fancy speakeasy. He didn't recogniced the well-dressed man in the other picture, but by his way of dressing it was obvious he probably owned the place. And someone wanted him dead.

"Well, first assasination in a long time. So, what do you think? Too much for you?" he asked Violet half honestly, half jockingly. He knew she probably wouldn't back down now, but he hoped it wouldn't be too overwhelming for her to go from stealing to murder so quickly

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:20 am GMT 

Violet frowned when Richard slid the documents over. Not at what he said, but because of her limited reading ability. Still, she skimmed over the papers, picking up words she knew and trying to piece everything together from that. When Richard spoke up again, she looked up at him.

"I'd have to face this sooner or later, right?" she asked, "Might as well go all in from the start."

Violet paused, then pushed the documents over to Richard.

"You'll probably need to explain more," she said a bit awkwardly, "I...Don't really read well."

Here Be Characters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next