THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:20 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you wanna have a bad time?
 Post subject: Re: Fresh Off the Train ((Frank))
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Do you wanna have a bad time?
"Well, it's true that a dress may not be the best thing to wear while working, but it can always be helpful outside of a job." He said, "Believe me, I know. I've been in that situation before." He thought for a moment, then quickly said "Actually, forget what I just said. We can worry about dresses some other time."

While he was checking the prices, he began making some calculations. He knew they had to spend quite a bit of money to get her presentable for the job, but he knew she wouldn't agree to use all of her money on clothes.

"If you want, you can lend you some money, so that you may buy whatever you feel like." he said, "Just try not to get too exited with the expensive stuff."

After all, he too needed money, and who knew when he would get another job well paid job.

Only if it is profitable to me. -Virgil Mauvais

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Violet glanced at Richard when he talked about how dresses could be helpful. She couldn't help but be curious what he was talking about. Unless he was just talking about how dressing up more formal could be helpful.

"You're real quick to keep giving me money," Violet said simply on his offer of a loan, and she turned to look over the clothes. She was used to whatever she could find to wear, no matter if they were too big or too small. This...She was going to be picking clothes because she wanted them. Making sure they fit. That wasn't a concept she was used to.

"I only need a couple of outfits right now, right?" she asked, "Just something to get by. I can always come get more once I'm settled in."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:44 pm GMT 

"Yeah, a couple of them should do, unless you feel like you need more than that." He replied, while looking for something that may look good on him. Maybe he could get some new shoes, or maybe another hat. "Or maybe some gloves, I've always liked those. And that dress may- NO! Forget about that Richard, that was something we agreed to never speak about again!" He thoght to himself, while having a slightly troubled look on his face. Hopefully, Violet wouldn't notice it, at least he hoped so.

After thinking for a moment, he decided not to buy anything today. After all, once you started spending money, it was a bit hard to stop.

"Look, unless you need help choosing what to get, I'll be waiting for you outside. I don't want to end up spending all my money right now." He said while getting close to the exit, then added with a smile "Also, if the anyone here mistreats you or something, tell them you're with me, that usually makes people act a lot nicer".

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:11 pm GMT 

Violet turned to Richard to see him already retreating to the door. Did he have that much problem being with her in a clothing shop? She frowned a bit, but Richard had already stepped outside. She gave a sigh, shaking her head and looking around.

Clothe shopping was something she'd never done before. The clothes she had were always ones she'd stolen, or found somewhere. She'd never walked into a shop and tried things on.

So it was overall an interesting experience. At first, the shop keepers seemed hesitant, but once they were sure that Violet would be able to pay (and a mention that Richard was waiting outside for her) they were more accommodating. She wasn't too sure if this was out of fear of Richard, but honestly, she didn't care much. As long as she'd be able to get through this more quickly.

By the end, she'd gotten a couple of complete outfits. Two pairs of pants, and two sets of shirts and sweaters. She even managed to find a good pair of shoes that didn't hurt her feet too bad. On an impulse, she did get one dress. It was dark blue and went to her knees, but Violet remembered what Richard had said that sometimes a dress could help. She figured better to get one now and not have to worry about it.

She didn't change into any of the outfits, though, so when she finally came out of the store carrying the boxes, she was still in her dirty overalls and shirt. She figured it would be better to wait until she was actually clean before she put on any of these new outfits long term.

"I should still have enough for dinner and finding a room somewhere," she said, more to herself as she tried to balance her boxes of new clothes while stepping back out into the evening sun.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:32 am GMT 

As he saw Violet leaving the store, carrying boxes of clothes, he let out a slight chuckle. "See? That always happens when you buy clothes: You enter with the intention of getting one thing, and you end up with more than you can carry." he thought to himself.

"Now," he said while taking a look around "We should find you a place to stay."

Maybe a nice apartment close to his. He would have offered her to stay in his building, but decided not to. Partly because there were no rooms left, partly because the place was owned by a rather uptight family, who insisted on making background checks on all of his occupants. That couldn't end well for neither of them.

"Any idea where you would like to stay?" he asked, unsure where to go from there. "I mean, not necessarily a particular spot, just a general idea as to where your ideal place would be." he added.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:43 am GMT 

Violet nodded when Richard said they needed to find her a place to stay. She was going through a lot of change, very quickly. She could keep up well enough now, but she did hope that the changes would slow down soon. She wasn't used to any of this.

When Richard asked what Violet was looking for in a place to stay, she snorted.

"Having a bed," she said simply. Some people didn't appreciate sleeping in a bed. Violet could count on one hand the times she actually slept on something soft and warm, so for her, really all she needed in a place was a bed.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am GMT 

"Not a picky one, eh?" he said. "Right, forgot to who I was talking to" Richard thought to himself "Homeless people aren't usually picky when it comes to choose a place to sleep." Seeing as he still couldn't see a good place around, he decided to start walking in a random direction, hoping to find someplace half way decent. She may have happy enough with just having a bed, but that didn't mean they couldn't try to find a nice place anyway.

"Maybe we can find a nice place around here, it's not too far from my house, so if anything happened we wouldn't have to go too far to find eachother." he said to Violet while they were walking.

As they continued walking, he began to think back to the night before, and a small question he had came back.

"So, since were going to be working together, I think it's good to know some things about eachother. For example: If the situation called for it, would you be able to kill a man?" he asked. He couldn't help but wonder what she would have done the night before, if she had been backed into a corner and couldn't just escape out of the situation.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:05 pm GMT 

"As long as I have a bed and can afford it, I don't care," Violet said, shrugging as she followed Richard along. Though on his next question, she glanced at him.

"If it meant staying alive, absolutely," she said, with a certainty of someone who had been in that situation before, "I just prefer to run when I can."

And she had been in that situation a few times. It was a by-product of living for twenty years on the streets (or she assumed she was around twenty, she really had no idea exactly how old she was) There were some situations where running wasn't an option. When the flight in 'fight or flight' didn't exist. She'd had to make that call to stay alive, but if she had the choice, she'd rather run. It was easier to stay out of sight when you didn't leave a dead body behind.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:23 pm GMT 

"Good answer, I guess." replied Richard. Though he was ok with that answer, he still was not fully satisfied. Anyone could kill someone if the situation called for it. Now the real question was a different one.

"But, what would you do if the man didn't present any inmediate danger to you, but someone is offering a big chunk of money on his head." he asked, with no trace of a smile or anything similar in his face. This was no laughing matter, even if it sometimes felt like it (At least for him it felt that way.). "If you were the hand on the trigger, for the promise of money, would you be able to pull it?" Even if she was going to be the stealthy part of the team, he had to know if she was going to be able to make that sort of call.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 pm GMT 

Violet fell silent at that. She remained that way for several long minutes, clearly giving the question thought. It wasn't something she was taking lightly.

"I've never been in that sort of situation," Violet said slowly, "But...Well, that money is how I'm going to survive, right? Getting the paycheck so I can stay alive. I don't think anyone will know for sure unless they've experienced it, but I think i can make that call. After all, it boils down to the same thing. Them or me. Even if they don't pose a threat then, it wouldn't be worth the risk letting them go."

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:23 pm GMT 

Richard silently nodded. She sounded like she meant it, but in the end, the real answer would have to come from her actions, not her promises. "You sure about that? Wouldn't want you having cold feet in that situation, even if your target got on his knees and begged you to spare him. Believe me, that usually ends badly" he said, while touching his left shoulder, were a scar made by a bullet remained from his first job. A reminder never to get soft on a target, no matter the circumstance.

After taking a quick look around, he finally laid his eyes on what they were looking for: an apartment building, just right across the street. Not to fancy, but it seemed like a decent place, so he decided to give it a try.

"Hey, I think we just found you a place" he said while pointing at the building, "What do you say, wanna give it a chance?"

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:31 am GMT 

"You don't survive by being soft," Violet said simply.

Violet knew that was true. She didn't survive these past years by being soft, letting her guard down. Sometimes, it took being cold to survive.

When Richard pointed out the apartment, Violet looked up at it. Honestly, she wouldn't really care of the place was a dump. As long as she had a bed.

"It's as good as any," Violet said, adjusting the boxes she was carrying.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:58 am GMT 

"Ok, let's check it out then." Richard said while going inside. The inside of the building was pretty much like he imagined it: a bit runned down, but still half way decent, and a lot better than sleeping on the street. At the opposite side of the room there was a simple desk. Behind it was a short man, most likely the owner of the place.

"Can I help you?" asked nerviously the man as soon as he noticed them. By the look on his face and his way of talking, he obviously hadn't slept in a long time.

"Yeah, my, friend here was looking for a place to stay. Would you be so kind as to show her some of your apartments?" Richard answered. He could have just as easily picked a random one, but he wanted Violet to choose this time.
"So, Violet, why don't you go and take a look around the place, see if you like what you see." he said "I'll just wait around here."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 am GMT 

"Um, okay..." Violet said slowly, heading up a flight of stairs to check out the apartments. They were all very basic and simple. A kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom, all of which were small. Violet didn't really care, though. Anything was better than an abandoned box car, in her mind. So in the end, she picked one on the second floor, with windows overlooking the alley. Safety, in her mind. A way for a quick escape if she ever needed it.

"I think I like this one," Violet said, shifting the weight of her clothes boxes in her arms.

Here Be Characters

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 pm GMT 

While Richard waited for his partner to come back, he tried to find something to keep himself entertained. He tried looking around, trying to find something that could catch his eye. He found something alright. Just outside of the building, across the street, there was a rather shady figure, just standing there. Even though he coulnd't really tell by lookihng, he knew that it was staring into his direction. No, it was staring into him.

He would have just shrugged this off as another hallutination, if it wasn't for the fact that he had already seen this person before: he had been his most recent employer, or most likely, the messenger of his most recent employer. They had already crossed paths recently, two times to be exact: The first when he got the assignment, the second when he got payed for it. That last one had been less than 7 hours ago.
He then noticed the figure beckoning him. He decided to listen to what he had to say. He got out of the building, crossed the street, and stopped close to his shady employer.

"You people should really find a better way to contact me. Have you ever heard about phones?" he said.

"We tried contacting you by phone, but since you were prancing all around town, I decided that this approach would be a lot more efficient." the man answered with his gravelly voice.

"So what, you been following me all day?" Richard asked, but the added. "Don't answer that, I already know the answer. But what do you want, exactly?"

"Your employer would like to hire your services again, seeing how...efficient you were last night."

"Yeah, I figured as much, but what I want to know what kind of job do you want me to do."

The men took out an envelope from his pocket, and handed it to Richard.

"Unfortunately, I can't give you the exact details right here. Everything you need to know is inside that envelope. All I can tell you is that this job will need a bit more, let's say, subtlety than the last one. You can't be making a scene this time."

Richard let out a sigh while taking the envelope. He didn't like it when people where this secretive.

"Fine, I'll see what I can do."

"Excellent. I know you won't dissapoint us." the men said as he walked away, dissapearing into the night.

Richard stood there for a moment, and then began walking back into the building. As he entered and layed against a wall, he thought to himself "More subtlety, huh? Well, good thing I got reinforcements this time".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next