THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:39 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Ahoy!
 Post subject: Re: Game of Consequence (Nerf)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 am GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
"<I wouldn't presume.>"

Heinrich folded his arms across his chest, bundling the threadbare bathrobe a little closer. He leaned his hip against the counter and watched Max with weary, unreadable eyes. Inwardly, he was debating whether to start breakfast, or wait. But when Max did not immediately comment, it was Heinrich who forged ahead.

"<So... what are we going to do with him?>"

Egad!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:58 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Egad!
Max did not have a plan as such. He had told Verstraten that he was going to let the boy press charges, and at the time he had almost believed it himself. But court proceedings were really quite boring. Evading the law was more fun than prison, even if the latter would give him a chance to catch up on his reading.

"<I'm going to drug him into incoherence,>" said Max, pouring fresh coffee into his mug. "<Failing that, I'll skip town. What do you think? Is California far enough?>" He turned back to Heinrich. "<At worst, it's only vehicular manslaughter.>"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:59 pm GMT 

The corner of his mouth twitched in a vaguely appraising fashion. "<California, hmm? I couldn't say. I do hear the Mexican coast is nice this time of year, if you ignore the ongoing revolution. Just think of the cocktails.>"

Heinrich himself seemed to be thinking of the cocktails in that moment. He had a noted weakness for piña coladas. The dreamy quality of his expression endured for only another split-second, however, and then it was gone: fleeting, beautiful, transitory.

"<What are you going to use? I still have a handful of sleeping pills. No doubt you'll find a way to pay me back.>"

Egad!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:09 pm GMT 

Max had a low estimation of fruity drinks, an opinion he'd expounded upon numerous times before. At the moment, however, such concerns seemed secondary. "<Do you speak any Spanish?>" he asked, not particularly expecting the answer to be 'yes.'

"<I reckon that'd do the trick.>" Whether he was talking about Mexico or a handful of sleeping pills, it was not entirely clear. He took a gulp of coffee. He burnt his tongue and winced, glancing in the direction of the kitchen door. "<I don't want to kill him, though. The point is weaseling out of this mess, not creating a new one.>"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:26 pm GMT 

"<I always triple the recommended dose, and I'm still kicking,>" he pointed out. "<One or two won't hurt him. Wait here for a minute.>"

As he disappeared once more into the deep shadows of the hall, he called back over his shoulder, "<No Spanish, but my French is good. How hard can it be?>"

He could be heard rummaging now in the front bathroom, taking things out of the medicine cabinet and putting them back again. The medicine cabinet was rarely organized to his taste, but he wasn't sure whether this was because Max kept rearranging it, or Heinrich did. Sometimes that line was uncomfortably blurred, even for Heinrich. He occasionally forgot whether he remembered doing something, or only thought he remembered it because he'd mentally inserted himself into a story he heard from Max.

A few minutes later he reemerged with a discrete little pill bottle in hand. It was almost empty, but lately he'd had very little desire to sleep. In that sense, his sacrifice for the greater good wasn't actually much of a sacrifice. Nor did it serve the greater good, as such, but that was beside the point. Wordlessly, he presented the bottle to Max.

Egad!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 pm GMT 

Max leaned against the kitchen counter and sipped his spiked coffee, listening to Heinrich riffle through the drawers. The coffee was very strong, and he was wondering absently if the right combination of stimulants could enable him to never sleep again. For now, however, there were more important things to worry about.

When Heinrich returned with the pills, Max accepted the bottle with a nod. "<Too bad Pancho Villa, the old blowhard, is lying in hell,>" he remarked, pouring out three pills into the lid. He produced a butter knife from their jumbled cutlery drawer and began to use the handle to crush them into powder. "<You could've followed in Griffith's footsteps and made a sequel.>"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm GMT 

"<You know just how to wound me,>" said Heinrich. "<Comparing me to that... hm.>" It was true that he sounded vaguely more resentful than usual. The comparison was made doubly injurious by the all-too-obvious contrast in their circumstances: one, a personally despicable yet internationally renowned pioneer of cinema; the other, a paragon of (reasonably) good taste and lofty artistic sensibilities, languishing in unemployment and obscurity.

He peered over Max's shoulder, observing his progress. "<You should know by now I wouldn't dream of signing my name to something so pedestrian as propagandist documentary. It wouldn't even be my name and I'd still be ashamed.>" And, pointing to a sizable chunk of pill in the dish, added, "<You missed one.>"

Egad!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 pm GMT 

"<Don't take it so hard. The old bastard completely lost me with Intolerance. I trust you never to produce such a spectacular heap of shit.>" As Heinrich leaned over his shoulder, Max shot him a leery glance. When he reached over to point, he swatted his hand, not for the first time that morning. "<Do you always have to hover like that?>"

Still, he followed Heinrich's gesture and crushed the last chunk of pill. Now there was a potent little heap of powder in the cap, and he was left with another dilemma. In terms of this question, his limited Yiddish vocabulary failed him. "Oatmeal? Orange juice? Broth?"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:53 pm GMT 

"<Oatmeal, you mad genius. Broth isn't thick enough, and we need the orange juice for mixer.>" As his hand was slapped away from the powder, he redirected it and gave Max a friendly, affectionate pat on the cheek instead. If Heinrich had, indeed, been wounded by the comparison, then Max's subsequent comments had quickly regained that lost ground. Although he did not move back, he shuffled over to stand in Max's blind spot. He was too intrigued to stop hovering entirely, but decided he might attempt to be a little more inoffensive with it.

"<You swear just like a Rumanian, by the way. It's very... rustic. I can't help but approve.>"

Egad!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm GMT 

Max tolerated the pat to the cheek, although by all appearances he was not in the least amused.

"<You talk fancy just like a German.>" This was not a compliment in Max's book. In spite of being half German-Jewish himself, he had inherited his Rumanian father's suspicion of the daytshlekh and their irritating tendency to be grammatically correct.

He rummaged through the cupboard, retrieving a chipped porcelain bowl and spooning out the last of the dry oats in the jar. Along with a dash of the water he'd boiled for coffee, Max carefully tapped the powder out of the cap and began to stir. "<Actually, you've reminded me. Why not go to the Old Country? The tobacco is good, the booze is cheap, and in Iaşi even the goyim speak Jewish. On American dollars one could live like a king.>"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:00 am GMT 

"<Max dearest, I just left the Old Country.>"

He chose to ignore the remark about his accent. As far as Heinrich was concerned, there was nothing shameful about proper grammar. In fact, he'd expended a significant quantity of blood, sweat and tears learning to speak with excruciating correctness, not to mention all the games of curbside marbles he'd watched balefully from the window until the tutor swatted his head and put him back to work. While he could objectively admire the linguistic disaster that erupted forth from Max's mouth, he also knew with certainty that is was not for him.

"<Quite frankly, I'd rather be in Mexico, revolution and all. At least Mexico has a film industry.>"

Egad!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:11 pm GMT 

"<Tequila or vodka,>" he shrugged, tapping the spoon clean on the edge of the bowl. "<What's it to me?>"

From the outward appearance of the oatmeal in his hands, no one would've guessed it could've felled a horse. Max sniffed the concoction, frowned, and retrieved a spoonful of sugar to sprinkle over the top. Then he swallowed the last of his coffee and, snatching the flask of whiskey off the counter, tucked it back into his pocket. He knew better than to leave Heinrich alone with his booze.

"<I'm disconnecting the telephone,>" he added, as if Heinrich ever called anyone. "<In case he tries to call a lawyer.>"

Before he left the kitchen, he hesitated, setting down the bowl to fish his whiskey out again. He polished the last few swallows off without a wince, deposited the empty flask on the counter, and made his way back over to the broken young man on the couch without a backwards glance.

"Here," he said, crouching. "You need to eat."