THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Ahoy!
 Post subject: Dost aci soyler (Artemis!)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:55 am GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
The woman paused in the doorway. She stood there just long enough to sweep the room with her eyes. She'd seen better. Then again, she'd also seen much worse. Tonight, she wasn't in the mood to be picky; she just wanted a drink.

Her heels clicked sharply on the warped floorboards as she crossed over to the bar. There was a paucity of women in the speak tonight, a fact which she noted immediately. Not that it bothered her, though it did mean she stuck out from the crowd. She was also a little overdressed for this venue, though Elif often made a point of being somewhat overdressed. It was, if nothing else, a point of pride.

It didn't take her long to attract the bartender's attention. "Whiskey--is there?" The bartender nodded, and set out a glass.

"Show me."

He wavered, momentarily unsure how to respond. She waved a hand at him impatiently, so he produced the bottle and tilted it towards her for inspection. Elif opened it, sniffed the contents, and immediately thrust it back in the bartender's direction. "No no. I don't want." She drummed her fingernails against the countertop. "Give me something better than this. It should be nice." She considered for a moment and then, before the bartender had even had the chance to react, she added, "And a light for my cigarette. Go."

That was all the prompting he needed--or perhaps he was just afraid that if he didn't get moving, she would come up with something else to task him with. In any case, he quickly disappeared into the storeroom, leaving Elif temporarily alone at the bar.

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: Dost aci soyler (Artemis!)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
He'd been caught up in thinking about some color palette for the new issue that would be coming out in a week. He'd had a bit to work on it, but he'd stressed himself about it far too much he wasn't normally the one who got to do the cover pieces, but they'd let him for this one and he was already trying not to mess this up he wasn't getting anything actually done. And his deadline was coming up. Way faster than he wished.

Adrian scrubbed his face, feeling the stubble there. He'd not shaved this morning and while he wasn't overly hairy, it was a bit too much to look professional. "I am going to fail this, " he grumbled. "A drink might spark some ideas..." He changed directions slightly on his walk home. It wasn't a real classy place, but not all the booze was terrible either.

He got in just in time to see the bartender slip away. Well the better to think about it then, he thought, heading towards the bar and taking a seat just down from the woman there. He gave her a polite smile and hoped he didn't have pen on his face but he was sure he did. He normally did. If not it was on his tie. Looking down he found it there along with some other not quickly identifiable thing that was thankfully dark so it would likely go unnoticed.

While he waited for the return of the bartender, he pulled out out a little notebook and a stub of a pencil, chewing on the end absent mindedly.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 am GMT 

Elif was just sitting down when she noted the new arrival. She gave him a brief once-over: too much hair, unshaven, rumpled clothes, some unknown substance smudging his face and hands. He looked, she thought, like a peasant. Or a drunk. Arching her eyebrows in barely concealed disapproval, she started to turn away. She was only grateful she wasn't close enough to smell him.

That was when the bartender returned. He was cradling a bottle of Canadian rye whiskey like a newborn baby--actually, probably more carefully than he would have held a baby. It was pricey stuff, usually reserved for the occasional bigwig or friends of the boss, but this lady definitely looked like she could afford it. He held it out for her inspection, and she nodded a curt approval.

"Neat," she added, unnecessarily. This place probably didn't even stock ice.

Elif pulled a cigarette case out of her purse and leaned forward so the obliging bartender could light her cigarette. This done, she nodded again, a brief show of appreciation, before waving him away. Leaving her drink untouched for the moment, she sat on one of the wobbly barstools. Her thoughts had just begun to wander when she again caught sight of the other man at the bar. He was chewing on his pencils.

A small, involuntary noise of disgust escaped her. Raising her voice, she swiveled just far enough to address him. "Stop that. It's dirty."

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 am GMT 

He was oblivious to the return of the bartender and the pouring of the drink. So he didn't look up when the man cane near him. The man cleared his throat before Adrian looked up. "Ah..." He started, trying to make his head work around the idea of a drink instead of the spaceship he'd been designing in his head. "Gin and tonic? Please." When the bartender nodded with relief at the simple request. Or at least the less picky request.

Adrian went back to chewing on his pencil and was just bringing it out of his mouth when he heard the woman from down the bar talking to him. He stuttered out a few incoherent sounds before he shook his head clear and focused on actual words. Though a lot of them were a lot snarkier than was necessary so he bit those back.

"Sorry?" Was what he settled on before glancing down at the stick in his hand. "It’s a habit of mine. While I'm thinking mostly..."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:32 am GMT 

"It is not clean," she told him, unclear whether he had heard or understood the point of what she was saying. "You should find a new habit. One not so dirty, maybe."

Holding her cigarette between two fingers, she picked up her glass and knocked back a pretty large drink. The whiskey was good enough, but the bar's atmosphere had begun to grate on her nerves a little. She'd only ducked inside because she was cold and bored and, though she wouldn't have cared to admit it, lonely. On quiet nights like tonight, when she had a little too much time on her hands, staving off the homesickness was very difficult indeed. She didn't mind the bar because it was dirty and full of men--she would have been perfectly content to sprawl out with a hookah in a dirty, male-dominated tea house in just about any city of the former Ottoman Empire.

But that was the problem. She was a long way from home.

Elif sighed and took another drink. Then she stepped off the bar stool and crossed over to where Adrian sat. If she perceived that he was annoyed or wanted to be left alone, she gave no sign of it.

"What are you making?" she asked, tapping the corner of his sketchbook.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:16 am GMT 

"Like smoking is the cleanest of things," he huffed. He didn't care what the doctors said about it, smoking made a mess. And she was telling him that chewing on a pencil was dirty. Alright then. If that was how she was going to play, he'd go that way as well. Dirty habit guy that he was.

He supposed. He wasn't one for confrontation. Outside of writing or drawing at least.

Adrian went to thank the bartender for his drink, paying for it before taking a sip. When he looked back up, she was right there next to him. And tapping at his sketchbook. The former he didn't mind, the latter made him a little aprehesive. Things like this sometimes got him hot, and he didn't want that. "Ah...it's...well you know, a rocket ship," he said gesturing at a semi ship like thing with wings and the beginnings of some bubble like windows. "For going to outer space..." He was now very glad he'd been working on the ship and not some strange space ladies.

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:25 am GMT 

Elif peered closer, her eyes alternately narrowing and widening as she worked to understand what she was seeing. She had seen and experienced many things in her short life. However, genre fiction was not among them.

She could grudgingly accept that America was more advanced than her homeland in many ways--after all, that was why she'd come to study here. But--travel to outer space? Surely she would have heard if so remarkable an advancement were in development! As an astronomer, if nothing else, she ought to have heard--

It was only a rough sketch at this stage. Still, when she spoke, she couldn't hide her curiosity. Or the glimmer of new respect that had crept into her tone.

"Remarkable. You are an engineer?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:10 pm GMT 

He let her look, moving his hands back to let her have a clearer view of the drawing. She seemed genuinely interested in what he was drawing. She wasn't scoffing at him, calling him crazy, or laughing. All of this was a change from the way most people reacted to his work. And he wasn't really for sure how to react to that himself. What did he do when someone didn't laugh? How did he keep her from laughing? Or at least laughing at him and not with him.

This was rarely explored territory.

When she called him an engineer he laughed. "Ah only of new worlds," he admitted, scrubbing at the back of his neck. "I mean I took a few courses, so I'd know what migbt really work, but I'm no where near that. I'm an artist and a writer. I draw stuff that doesn't exist, things that existed in the past in new contexts. Things like that."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:24 pm GMT 

She cocked her head, studying him now with undisguised curiosity. She understood the words he was saying, but still couldn't string them together in her head to make sense of what he was telling her. During the early days of her European education, she'd had limited exposure to art that verged on the mystical or the abstract. There had been nothing which dared to depart so boldly from reality when it came to ideas.

Elif was grounded in fact. Imagination was not exactly one of her strengths.

"Hm," she said. But if he thought she was being dismissive, he needn't have worried. "Do you have any drawings, like this, but... finished?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:11 am GMT 

He felt a little uncomfortable under her stare. He had never enjoyed people outright stared at him. Even more so when they were right up on top of him. Like she was. And so he felt very uncomfortable just then. She will look away eventually.

"Ah," he stated, dark eyebrows pulling together. "Not with me. I've got some other things." He flipped back a few page s to other, slightly more complete drawings. "I've got unicorns, some lady knights and Templars, oh and some little sprites." He flipped through the pages, still looking a bit embarrassed, even if the art wasn't terrible. "I ah...I normally do fantasy."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:32 am GMT 

Elif had the vague impression that she herself was dealing with another species, or perhaps a being from another planet. She wanted to ask him where he had seen these things. In paintings, in books? Were they creatures of folklore, or fabled beings from religious texts? She had seen such things in Baghdad, mainly in the form of carved stone. But those were ancient, the work of great craftsman from thousands of years before. And she had seen a bit of art in Europe, but that too was old. And it was mostly portraiture, occasionally battle scenes or coronations... and innumerable still lifes of fish and fruit.

"Wait, go back." She stuck an index finger between the pages as he flipped through them, going rather too quickly for her taste. For the first time, a faint smile hovered on her lips. "She is a lady knight?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm GMT 

"Yeah," he said, his voice being almost proud and nervous in the same breath. He still was not used to having people be interested in what he had to show in way of his art. Unless they worked with him. Or were paying him. Either way. That was a whole sort of different experience This wasn't what he was used to. Especially from a woman. "I-I know it's hard to tell it's a woman under the armor. But i've had enough girls punch me to know they can hit just as hard as a man. So why can't they be knights?"

He looked up at Elif and flashed what he hopped was a smile that didn't come off too weird. "The Templar's aren't though. They never seemed to like ladies much, did they?" He shrugged, mussing on the more historical thoughts of that.

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:12 am GMT 

"True," she agreed with a rather stern nod. "I could be, maybe, a lady knight. A Templar, no, I don't think. I am from the wrong side of Chistendom." This statement was punctuated by a rather toothy smile. "But Selahaddin--Saladin I think you call him, yes? Perhaps in his army. He was a Turk, did you know?"

In fact, he'd been born in Iraq to a Kurdish family originating in Armenia, had been crowned in Cairo and died in Damascus. But she herself had been born in Baghdad, educated in Switzerland, and raised in Ankara, and she was now living in America; it didn't seem so far-fetched. Besides, to Elif, anyone extracted from Turkish lands--Kurdish or no--was, first and foremost, a Turk. And as she did not care to recognize Armenia as a political entity, there was no doubt in her mind as to Saladin's Turkishness.

She stuck out a hand. "Elif. Elif Kahraman. What is your name?"

Last edited by i_heart_dvorak on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 am GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:50 pm GMT 

"Ah yeah," he replied with an awkward sort of chuckle. He wasn't used to being the one who didn't know things. Or at least on the odd occasions that people spoke to him in a bar. But it was nice, having a conversation that wasn't about politics or the weather. And as opinionated as she was, she was nice too. This was nice.

"Adrian Palmer," he grinned, taking her hand in his and shaking it, not thinking about the ink or what not on his hands until he'd already taken hold. He pulled his hand back and smiled apologeticly. "Nice to make your acquaintance." He dug in his pocket for a clean hanky, which he handed to her with a mumbled 'sorry.'

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 am GMT 

She glanced down at her hand, which now showed signs of some mysterious art smudges. She accepted the handkerchief without comment, answered his apology with a shrug, and wiped her fingers clean before handing it back. Apparently this was not the kind of dirtiness that bothered her.

"So," she began. Then, remembering her cigarette, she paused just long enough to reach back to where she'd left it, balanced on the edge of an ashtray. During that momentary break from the conversation, she became aware of a change in the atmosphere of the bar.

When she turned back to Adrian, she was frowning slightly. The change was so faint, she thought at first she might have been imagining it, like a shift in barometric pressure. But she had long-since learned to trust her instincts.

"Finish your drink, then we should go."