THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Re: The City Lights Are Bright {Kris}
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Anna did laugh when James stuck his tongue out. It'd been so long since she could just be young, just be the young woman she was. It was nice she could be that way with James.

"I'll see you later, then," she said, "Looking forward to this weekend."

Anna gave James a last grin before slipping inside the apartment building, feeling a little giddy. She already couldn't wait to see James again.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:53 am GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
Saturday came around and James could not contain his excitement. It had been bad enough the other days when he'd made sure to stop by after work again and at least get a cup of coffee and see Anna. He couldn’t stop himself from going, really. He just found himself pulled to her and he just wanted to see her. He was sure the guys at work were over hearing about her too.

They hadn’t had as much of a chance to talk the few times he'd made it in to see her. But they had chatted ideally about nothing much to deep and he'd been happy with that.

So when Saturday came around he talked about her almost the entire half day of work. He'd rushed out of there as fast as he could, hurried back to his apartment, which was thankfully close to hers, to shower and get changed into the nicest clothes he owned. Which really weren't that nice, they were just in the best condition of his clothes. He even had a vest and everything.

But despite his excitement, or perhaps because of, he found himself a little nervous as he knocked on her apartment door. He held his hat in one hand, running his fingers through his still slightly damp hair, willing it back into place as he waited for her to answer the door.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:29 am GMT 

Anna woke up on Saturday 'as giddy as a schoolgirl', as some would say. She'd really enjoyed seeing James every day at work, and it wasn't long before the other waitresses had learned not to take James's order when Anna was working. Even if they had a chance. Anna tended to watch the door a bit too eagerly, and often made sure she was there to greet James when he came in with a cup of coffee ready. She was sure the other waitresses were a bit fed up with it, but she didn't really care.

Like with many girls, getting ready for a date was a complicated affair for Anna. She spent nearly an hour going through her wardrobe (all of which consisted of dresses that were at least a decade old, heavily edited to be shorter and look as more modern as Anna could manage) She finally settled on a pale green dress that went to her knees with a slight ruffled end, as it had used to be a two-layered skirt that she'd removed the longer under later for. No makeup, and not just because Anna didn't own any. She simply hated the feel of makeup on her face and never wore anyway.

When Anna heard a knock on the door, her heart jumped in her throat. He was here! She grabbed her hat off the nail it was hanging on and pulled it down over her short hair before pulling open the door, her face lighting up at the sight of James.

"Hi there, sweetie," she said, looking him over, "You're lookin' right handsome today."

And he was. Now without the dirt and dust of the factory work, Anna could see he really did clean up quite nicely.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am GMT 

When the door swung in he took in a breath, and didn’t realize that he'd kept holding it until she spoke about how well he cleaned up. "We'll you do much better than me," he said with such sincerity that you'd have to be deaf not to hear the truth in it. His smile that had been hiding out came out full force, going all the way up to his mismatched eyes.

He knew he still wasn't over Emma, but looking at Anna, thinking about her, made him feel like he could be over her without a problem. In time. But likely sooner thand he would have thought a few months ago.

"Meant to get you flowers," he stated, offering his arm out to her, "but I forgot 'em until I was walking up to your door. Figured you rather I not be late though. My mama was always on us about being on time. Said it was polite and whatnot."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:15 am GMT 

"Like they say, it's the thought that counts, right?" Anna asked with a bright grin, taking James' arm. He had a bright smile on his face, one that Anna hadn't seen him use before. It suited him.

"So, where shall our exploration start?" Anna asked as they headed out onto the street and she patted his arm lightly. She was excited for this. She hadn't really had a chance to just get out and have fun in a while. After all, since seeing the letter from her brother, she'd spent every day focused on working to raise money for her move. And since coming to St. Louis, she hadn't had much of a chance to explore yet.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:28 am GMT 

"Yeah, I guess," he chuckled, pulling his her a little closer to his side. Not so close that they were touching or anything like that. But close enough that his arm wasn't going to be hurting later from being held too far out. Though of course he wouldn't mind at all if she wanted to get closer on her own though.

James hummed thoughtfully, looking out into the middle distance as he thought. It was mostly for show, he'd already thought about where he’d take her. Sorta at least. He had narrowed it down at least. He was waiting for this moment to fully decided where he wanted to go. How...romantic or not he wanted to make this outing.

"I dunno," he said at last, reaching up to adjust his hat into a better place since he'd just dropped it on his head when she took his arm. "Maybe we could go to some pretty, less busy places. Maybe a park or something? Whatever you want."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 am GMT 

"A park sounds great," Anna said, moving closer as they walked so her shoulder brushed James', "Back home, I used to go down to the river near our town. Or hung out in a barn with some friends who lived more on the edge of town. We preferred the river, though, especially in the summer months."

Anna looked around as they walked, just letting James lead the way. She hadn't been in St. Louis long. A large city was still overwhelmingly different for her, but she had to admit, she really loved it here already. Mainly for the fact that, despite how crowded the city was, it felt a lot more private than her small home town.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 am GMT 

"Alrigh," he smiled, grinning more as she brushed against him. It wasn't like he'd never been close with a girl, or close even. But that didn't mean he didn't enjoy her simple closeness now. Especially so when she moved on her own without his suggestion first, really. He wasn’t for sure what he'd done to get so lucky to have met a girl like her. Because he had a feeling that even if the little spark between them panned out to nothing more than some kissing, they'd still be good friends.

"We spent a lot of time in rivers too, or lakes and ponds. Almost drowned one summer because my older brother is a an asshole," he glanced at her apologeticly, "excuse the language. But thankfully, my other brother is not and pulled me out before anything bad happened."

Last edited by Artemis Selene on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm GMT 

"Oh, I've heard worse," Anna waved off James' curse, grinning at him. She was enjoying the closeness herself, the warmth of James's arm against hers. She already found herself hoping this was something that would last. Still, she could see James as being a good friend to have in St. Louis.

"I've never been fond of being in the water myself," Anna said, "I nearly drowned myself in the river when I was five, never really learned to swim after that." Anna shrugged. "Mine wasn't because of any siblin', I just ended up in a part of the river that was deeper than it looked. Helen got me out, thankfully."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 am GMT 

He raised an eyebrow at that. "I think I would have died without the water growing up. That incident with my brother excluded, really. It was always so much fun. And great when the summers got too hot and no amount of fans or prayin' for breezes was going to help."

He looked at her with a grin. "So I guess I shouldn't ever surprise you with a swimming trip then. I'll keep that in mind." Which was a pity really, but it wasn’t the end of the world either. He could think of other things to do after all.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 am GMT 

"I think the bravest I'd get is wading to my knees," Anna said with a lighthearted giggle, "Or maybe to my waist if I'm feelin' particularly darin'."

Anna grinned up at James at that as they walked. This was nice, just talking and sharing stories with him.

"But I loved goin' down to the river, either way. Either wadin', or doin' some fishin'. It was my favorite thing."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am GMT 

"Well if you ever wanna get even more darin', I can keep you safe," he offered with a shrug. "I am a good swimmer. I wouldn't let you drown or anything like that." And of course he wouldn't. Because that would be a terrible end to a date.

"We can certainly do fishing, though," he nodded. "I got a rod still, so maybe next time?" Because of course there was going to be a next time. He had to think there was going to be so that way he could plan accordingly, right? Not that he really knew too well how to plan dates for a girl he hadn't known his whole life. That'd be the tricky part after all.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am GMT 

"I'll keep that in mind," Anna said with a soft grin, which grew when James suggested fishing for the next date, "Fishin' sounds excellent. I haven't gone in so long, or when I did it was usually alone. Only friends I had back home had moved there from a city and fishin' wasn't exactly somethin' they wanted to do."

Anna shook her head a bit at that.

"It's a problem when your family is outcasted by the town," she said, "Only people willin' to talk to you are those who didn't grow up around it."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:09 pm GMT 

He grinned at her as well, pleased that she was so pleased about the idea of another date. They'd not even finished this one. It could go horribly. But if they already had the vague plans of going out again, maybe that'd take some of the pressure off if them and they could enjoy this afternoon without too much stress. Maybe. Hopefully.

"Yeah, I can imagine that would make things difficult," he said without really thinking too much about what came out of his mouth. Thankfully it hadn't been anything too dumb. He recovered himself after a second of silently cursing himself and offered her an apologetic smile. "City folk don't like fishing much for sure."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 am GMT 

"No, they don't," Anna said, shaking her head as she grinned at James. "But at least they don't take the the gossip like small towns do. Probably only reason I was able to make friends with them."

Anna gave a cheerful laugh. She was the type who didn't let things get her down, and she was always very honest to a fault.

"What about you?" she asked, looking to James again, "You have people you went fishin' with?"

Here Be Characters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next