THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: The City Lights Are Bright {Kris}
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
"I lived with my parents too," he sighed, rolling his eyes some. "And my brother's and sister, and my cousins too sometimes. There was always way too many people in my house for my liking. S'why I spent as much time as I could out of the house. Hung out with Emma mostly..." He trailed off some, pursing his lips in thought before he cleared his head of where he was going.

"Yeah," he chuckled. "Small farming town in upstate Ohio," he went on with a little nod of his head. "I lived on a farm. I worked on the farm. It's all well and good until harvest season comes. Then ah... then I'd rather I'd not lived on a farm. But small little towns when everyone knows your business has it's moments of suffocation." He remembered Emma saying that. Saying how despite all the room there was to run around and away, she still always felt so trapped. He felt a little more trapped in Saint Louis, but she seemed to have found home.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
"Sounds like you had quite the crowded family," Anna said with a grin, "Used to be like that myself, but I barely remember what that was like."

When James mentioned someone named Emma, Anna noticed how he pursed his lips and she couldn't help but think there was a story behind that. Of course, it could have just been as simple as just an old friend, or maybe one of his siblings. Not everything had to be dramatic, she constantly had to remind herself of that. Not every family was the center of the town's biggest scandal.

As James mentioned the very familiar situation of small towns meaning everyone knew everyone else's business, Anna couldn't help but laugh again.

"Oh, that's somethin' I know all too well, sweetie," she said, "A bad thing about small towns, it seems they're mostly filled with the biggest gossips God ever breathed air into."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 am GMT 

He snorted his agreement and nodded his head. "Old ladies seem the worst, but they ain't got nothing on what old men talk about. They just don't cluck about it as much I guess." He shrugged a shoulder, as if nit quite for sure if that was exactly what he'd meant, but he couldn't think of anything else that fit just right either.

"Thankfully was only briefly the talk of the town," he chuckled. Everyone had a brief moment of being the talk of the town. Some people never left the spot light though. He was just glad to have never been that person. "Though I suppose they could be talking about me now. I'm just not there to hear it. Dunno if I like that better though."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:35 am GMT 

"Oh, I'm sure the town is talking up a storm about me," Anna said with a shrug, as if being the center of gossip didn't bother her. It did, but the fact that she literally grew up around it, she'd learned to ignore it for the most part. "But it won't be much different than if I was still there."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 am GMT 

That, he had to admit, intrigued him. What had a girl so young done to be such a gossiped about person. She seemed so innocent he couldn’t think of anything so awful being done by her.

"Oh? What'd you do?" James asked without thinking too much about it. It just slipped right out and it wasn't until he found himself waiting for an answer that he truly realized what he'd said. He was a damn fool sometimes. He'd done enough back tracking that evening though, so he just bit his tongue and offered an apologetic smile instead. One that said she didn't have to tell him if she didn't want to.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am GMT 

Anna grinned at James. She didn't mind talking about herself. In fact, she loved to talk about just about anything. Plus, she was always known to have little-to-no filter from her brain to her mouth. When someone asked something, more often than not, she'd answer quite bluntly.

"It's more my family than me," she said, "Though I will admit, I've not always been a picture of innocence. Anyway, it all happened when I was barely eight and you know how when a big event happens, it's all the town talks about and it gets held against the entire family and ours was a big one. I don't know the whole story. Just that it involved my older siblings. My sister was dating the mayor's kid. Then, one day, the boy disappeared. A few months later, so did my brother and sister." Anna shrugged at that, "Even after all these years, there's still never been any sign of the mayor's son.

"And since I'm a Hilton," she went on, "Well, you know how small towns get against an entire family. Even though I was only eight, I was always known as 'their little sister'. Ten years later, I was still known as 'the sister of the murder'. I was eager to get away."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am GMT 

James looked at her a little surprised, but other than raising his eyebrows up, he was smart enough to hold his tongue to think before he spoke. That was...not quite what he had expected that she would say. Not something totally impossible either. But just not what he expected that she would say. Nor did he expect her to smile about it either.

"Do you think they did it?" He asked at last. "Or he just up and disappeared on his own and it's all just a huge misunderstanding?" This was more exciting of a conversation than he thought he'd have walking her home.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:27 am GMT 

"I'd like to think Peter didn't do it," Anna said, frowning a little now, "I've only got a few vague memories of my siblin's. Peter and Helen are both quite a bit older than I am, so I didn't spend much time with them. They were always really friendly, and Peter was your typical protective brother. I missed them for the longest time, still do at times. They all say Peter killed the mayor's kid because he didn't like him dating Helen, but I've never seen Peter as the type to do that. He never really had a temper."

Anna sighed, adjusting her hat a bit. She remembered times chasing after her siblings and getting sent back home because she was the 'little kid' they didn't want tagging along. At home, however, they would always play cards with her, or Peter would sit in the floor with her and play a game of marbles.

"But they just up and disappeared one night," she said, her voice softening a little now, "No letter of goodbye, nothin'. They were just there when I went to bed, and gone when I got up the next mornin'. I haven't heard word from them since."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:39 pm GMT 

He nodded, listening to her. He couldn’t even imagine being separated like that from his siblings, not knowing anything about them anymore. Yeah, he was here and they were all still back home. But they still talked, he'd called the house just this past Sunday and spoke with most of them, and at least heard what was going on with the rest. But to lose them, and be the talk of the town? That seemed pretty awful.

"That why you in Saint Louis then?" James inquired. "Looking for Peter and Helen? I could help you look if you like. I came here to find a friend too. But I've found her already. Feel kinda lost not looking for someone now. "

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:51 pm GMT 

Anna glanced at James, grinning softly. For him to just up and offer like this...She hadn't expected that. Growing up an outcast in her own town, she wasn't used to people wanting to help. Hell, even the ones she had called 'friends' even turned their backs on her when she had made the decision to find her siblings.

"That's real sweet of you," she said, "And you're right, I did come to St. Louis to look for them. About a year ago, I happened to see a letter my parents were tryin' to hide. I didn't get an exact address, but I saw my brother's name, and I saw the name St. Louis on the envelope. He'd written, and my parents wanted nothin' to do with the letter. They told the postman to send it back."

Anna sighed, pausing in their walk. They'd reached her apartment building. But she wasn't quite ready to stop talking yet.

"I started to wonder. How many other letters had he sent that my parents were sending away?" she asked, "So I started savin' up. And the day I graduated, I left. Came straight here. St. Louis is a huge place, I guess I got in a bit over my head." Anna gave a little laugh at that.

"So yes," she said, "I'd love any help you could offer."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:39 pm GMT 

He stopped with her, glancing at the apartment building beside them. They were here, but she didn't seem in a rush to be separated just yet. And the little flutter in his chest just proved how much he liked that. He waved her off when she said that it was sweet. It was just what you did. You helped other people out. It was only really beneficial to him because she was so pretty.

"It is a big place, yeah," he chuckled. "I had the advantage of knowing Emma pretty well or else I'd still probably be looking for her in this sea of people. But I'm sure the two of us can find them together." And he believed that. It might still take a while, but they could find them, certainly.

"This is your place though, right?" He said, nodding back at the building that she'd made no move towards.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 pm GMT 

"Yeah, this is my place," Anna said with a nod, looking to the apartment for a moment before turning back to James with a grin, "And thank you. I haven't had much hope after getting here on finding Peter or Helen, but the way you talk...It makes me think I have a chance. Might take ages, but there's still a chance."

Anna took a step to the apartment doors, but again, she was hesitating, watching James. She was so glad she now had an ally in her search. And the fact that he was easy on the eyes didn't hurt. He'd had a lot of luck in his search, maybe she could get lucky in hers...

"So, I'll see you Saturday afternoon?" she asked.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:26 pm GMT 

"Well anything I can do to help make it feel less hopeless," he said with a little shrug, smiling sweetly at her. He knew the hopeless feeling trying to find someone in general. At least she had a better lead than he had when he got here. And he'd done it. The plus being that he had a reason to spend more time with her now.

When she asked if she’d see him Saturday, he had hold back at nodding so he didn't look too eager. "If not before," he laughed. "Might stop by and see you at work again in between if you don’t mind."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm GMT 

Anna grinned, hoping that the grin didn't seem too eager.

"I'd like that," she said, "I can't guarantee that I will have as much time to chat as I did today. We get quite a few workers from the factory coming in after work so sometimes it does get a bit busier than usual."

But it'd be really nice to see more of James, even before their date that weekend. Maybe she could sneak time to talk to him, or at least make sure she got to him before another waitress did when he came in...At least have a chance to say hello.

'Now I'm sounding desperate,' Anna chided herself, unable to help but giggle a little. Which she was sure would probably seem strange to James, just randomly giggling like this.

"But I would really like to see you while I work," she said.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:29 am GMT 

"That's okay," he shrugged, smiling. "I understand that you can't drop everything for me. Even though I'm so awesome that it'll be hard for you to not." He stuck his tongue out at her childisly, laughing like he thought he'd been rather funny. "We'll see how my week goes, and if I don't come by before, I'll most certainly be here Saturday. I promise."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next