THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: The City Lights Are Bright {Kris}
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:31 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
It'd been a long, hard week. It was strange thinking he was so tired after working all week here in the city, but he'd worked just as hard not in the city, back on his family farm, and he hadn't been so badly worn down. But he might have been sleeping more back in Ohio. Here though, he could go out, do things, see people. And better still, see people he didn't know every night if he wanted too. It was nice, being able to be lost in a sea of faces of people he didn't know and didn't have to worry so much about how he was acting or behaving or anything like that.

It was all just so strange, really.

But despite being tired, he had to admit that he liked being here in Saint Louis now. He'd his friend again, after searching for a while. And she was happy now. And that meant the world to him. Even if part of him was still sorta pinning over her. She'd never be his, and he'd accepted that at least. So now he just had to have fun.

James slipped into the throng of people heading out of the little factory that he'd managed to find a job in and then slipped away from them. He wandered for a bit before he felt his stomach grumble a bit too loud for his tastes. So he decided he'd stop at the first dinner he came across. The sign caught his attention and with a grateful sigh he headed into the dinner.

His mismatched eyes looked about the place, glad to find it full enough, but not packed really. A few people scattered about some tables and a counter bar. He made his way over to the counter, settling himself down with a heavy sigh and rubbing at his tired eyes while he waited for one of the waitresses to get free to come take his order.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Re: The City Lights Are Bright {Kris}
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Anna had been having a long week of her own. She loved the chaos of the city, but she was still struggling to get used to it. She was more used to a job where she saw maybe two or three customers a day in her parents' little grocery store, not the flow in the diner where it never seemed to be completely empty. Every day, Anna went home with her feet hurting more than they ever had after days of work back in Georgia, exhausted in ways she'd never been before, but still loving every moment of it. No matter how tired she was, she felt like she was meant for the city life. She felt more in home among the chaos where people barely gave her a second glance than in the small town she grew up in, where all she got was glares and people whispering behind her back.

Anna finished cleaning off a table, then checked the clock above the counter. A few more minutes and her shift would be over, then she'd be able to head out, go home and change out of this itchy uniform, and see if she could find some club to get into. She was tired, but she was eager to see more of the St. Louis nightlife. Maybe she could check out early, the owner wouldn't mind hopefully...

Anna was just about to put that plan into action when she noticed the new guy at the bar. She looked around, the other two waitresses busy with tables. She sighed. She couldn't walk out in good conscious with someone waiting for food, especially when her shift wasn't completely over yet.

So Anna went back to drop off the dirty dishes, grabbed her notebook and pen from her pocket, plastered on a smile and made her way over to stand across from the man at the counter, rubbing his eyes and looking as if he might be about to fall asleep.

"Hello, sweetie, what can I do for yah?" she asked brightly, her Southern accent showing strongly as she brushed back some of her blonde hair that had fallen loose of her headband, "Some coffee? You look like you need it."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm GMT 

At the sound of a soft female voice he pulled his big hands down from his eyes to smile at her. Coffee sounded so wonderful then. "Yeah," he said in a soft chuckle. "A cup of joe sounds fantastic." He did wonder if he looked quite as tired as he felt, but since she seemed to know that he he needed it so badly, he was sure that he did. He was also sure that he looked crumpled and a bit dusty too. He wore overalls at work, and it kept him fairly clean. But that didn't stop it from wrinkling his worn white shirt or pants. But there was nothing much he could do about it now.

He couldn't help looking her over either. He was a man, and she was a pretty woman. He didn't let his stare look too creepy, or let it linger too long on anything but her face. But she was awfully nice to look at if he did say so himself. And she had such a sweet sounding voice. He could sit and talk to her for a long time he was sure. Now if only he could. Hopefully she'd not be leaving soon and he could actually get to speak to her for a bit. Or look at her. That'd be real nice as well.

He pulled his flat cap off, tossing it onto the counter next to his arm. He at the very least was going to be here a while, he'd make himself comfortable. "Make it black, please."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm GMT 

When the man looked up, Anna couldn't help but just stare. His eyes were two different colors and she had never seen anything like that before. She thought it was fascinating, and she had to admit, the color of each eye was a very nice shade of blue and green.

The man gave a chuckle, saying coffee sounded good and Anna had to pull herself together. It wasn't good business to stare at a customer, no matter how memorizing his eyes were. She smiled and got a mug and pot of coffee, pouring some out as she used her free hand to hand over a menu.

"Here you go," she said with a smile, this one more genuine than the one she had given before. She gave him a good look over now, trying to take in more than just his eyes. The way he was dressed, and the fact he was dusty, told her that he'd just gotten off work from the nearby factory. Anna had only worked here a week, but she knew they often got customers here when shifts there ended. Anna found herself wondering how handsome he might look if he was cleaned up of the dust and quickly cleared her throat, looking away before she could let those thoughts go any further.

But maybe she could make an excuse to talk to him some more...If he even wanted to talk.

"I have to clean off that table," Anna said, pointing nearby where a family had just left, as she looked at the man again, "But I'll be back in just a moment to take your order, okay? If another waitress asks, just say you're waitin' for Anna."

Anna gave him one last smile as she went off to clear the nearby table as quickly as she could, her tail swishing back and forth behind her. She probably should have waited to see if he wanted to talk to her or if he was just there to eat, but she had spoken without thinking. A bad habit with her. If she went back and he wanted to be left alone, she'd just brush it off and go on about her business. If he did, however...Maybe she'd put off the search for a club for another night. Maybe it would be a good day to stay late at work.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm GMT 

When she looked at him full in the face he knew just what she was looking at. It wasn't any different from the looks he got from any other person after the first time they saw him. It was normal for him to look int he mirror and see his own mismatched eyes. It was just him, that was the way it was. His older brother almost had the same sort of thing, though his were just two different shades of blue, not as noticeable as his was. So he smirked at her and let her look without saying anything.

"Alright," he said as she walked away, telling him he was more than welcome to hold out for her. Well that's what he heard anyways. Smiling, he watched her slip away while he took a tentative ship of the hot coffee. He chuckled softly to himself, looking away from the girl and to the menu she'd handed him, looking it over while she worked.

James didn't notice if anyone came over to talk to him about ordering, he was too busy looking at the menu. His reading skills weren't the best after all, so it took him some time, especially when tired, to really be able to read what it was that was in front of him.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 pm GMT 

Anna cleaned the table quickly, as she had done with the one before. This time, it wasn't eagerness to get off her shift. It was so she could get back to James before her shift ended. She wanted the excuse to be able to take his order, and if he seemed open to it, maybe joining him for dinner so she could have an excuse to talk with him some more. She hadn't made a friend yet in St. Louis, so maybe it was time to try.

Especially when he was cute.

Anna shook off that thought with a smile and finished her clean-up duties before making her way back to the man at the bar. She noticed he was still staring at the menu, but the thought that he was having trouble reading didn't occur to her.

"Havin' trouble decidin', sweetie?" she asked with a smile, "This place is small, but it has good food. There's this beef stew that's just the bee's knees. I plan to get myself a bowl when my shift ends."

It was only a small truth in a few lies to play nice for a customer. Yes, Anna was planning to get a bowl of the stew at the end of her shift, and yes, it was a good stew. But it was really the only good menu item, and it wasn't extraordinary. It was simply better than everything else on he menu, which wasn't that big of a feat. The rest was okay, but no better than what one expected of a small diner like this one.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 pm GMT 

It took him a moment, but James looked up whens he spoke to him, giving her a sweet smile. He had been having a bit of trouble deciding once he worked out all the words that were there. Or at least enough of them to know what it was suppose to be. He was thankful though that she had assumed it was deciding that was the problem and not something else. He hated telling pretty girls that he couldn't read too well. Because that was pretty embarrassing. He wasn't some farm boy anymore, he should be smarter than that.

"Well that sounds good," he said after another moment, nodding his head. "I'll take a bowl then." He slide the menu back over to her, chuckling while he grinned. He really didn't care. And if she said it was good, he was just gonna have trust her opinion on it then. She worked there after all. It was very possible that she was just selling what she was told to sell, but he couldn't work up the nerve to care. As long as it was warm and edible, he'd eat most anything anyways.

"You ah..." he started, smirking at his own foolishness as he knew what was about to come out of his mouth, but he still couldn't bring himself to stop it either. "Your shift wouldn't happen to be over soon would it?"

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 pm GMT 

Anna nodded and wrote down his order, taking the menu back from him as well. She couldn't help but notice he had a really nice smile. Almost nicer than his eyes. She had just started trying to think of an excuse to hang around when he asked if her shift was ending soon.

Anna beamed at him. Here she was, trying to work out a way to ask him if he wanted company without sounding too forward, and he just gave her a reason by asking himself. Or else, she was sure he was asking.

"Actually, my shift will end any minute now," she said, looking up at the clock, "Probably just enough time for me to get your stew, and my own if you don't mind some company."

There, that would work. Saying she'll join him, but still making it his decision. After all, there might have been some other reason he was asking about when her shift ended. She couldn't think of one, but it could still be there.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am GMT 

"Great," he said with a soft chuckle, his smile sliding up his face some more before he looked away. He didn't think he'd be so lucky as for her to be getting off right then. He'd have gotten to spend time with her anyways, if she was working longer. But now he didn't have to feel guilty about possibly taking up too much of her attention. Which he felt like might just happen.

"I don't mind company at all." And really, how could he ever mind company from a pretty girl? A pretty girl who seemed to want to spend time with him too. Which was even better than her just doing it to be nice. Or because she had to.

"I'll just save you a seat then," he chuckled, patting the counter top next to him. It wasn't like they were going to be overrun with people he didn't think. It wasn't that crowded in there now. But he still wanted to make sure that she got to sit by him. They couldn't be in each other's company if she was sitting on the other side of the room, now could they.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 am GMT 

Anna smiled at him again.

"Then I'll be right back," she said happily and left again. It wasn't long before she returned, one hand managing to balance a tray with two bowls of stew and a glass of soda, the other holding a small purse and fashionable hat. She dropped the hat and purse on the counter, then put one of the bowls in front of her new friend. She placed the other bowl and soda down on the space next to him, then sat down, turning so she could face him and have the counter to her side instead of in front of her.

"There we go, I'm officially off the clock," she said cheerfully, "And I think it's about time I learned your name, sweetie. I'm Anna, like I said earlier. Anna Hilton." She held out a paw, still smiling at him.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 pm GMT 

He looked down at the stew she placed in front of him, leaning forward and taking a deep breath of the dish. It smelt alright. Not like his mother's stew, but it was good enough and he'd eat it happily. Not that he wouldn't have if it didn't smell good. He'd eat pretty much anything that you put in front of him after all. He wasn't that picky of an eater after all. And when you didn't have much selection outside of diner fair, you got used to eating things that wouldn't be really considered the best.

But this stew looked promising. This place looked promising. This girl looked promising. And really, that was the most important part, in his opinion at least.

"James," he said, taking her hand in his and engulfing it. "James Stewart, you can call me what you like though." And he'd let her even call him Jimmy if she so liked, and that was not a nickname he was horribly fond of. "You can keep calling me sweetie even, I rather like that." He shook her hand some before extracting his from hers.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm GMT 

Anna shook James's hand and noted that he had a nice name. A nice name to go with a nice guy. She took a bite of her stew, then stirred it with her spoon as she turned back to James.

"Well, I call near-everyone sweetie," she said, "So I guess I'll have to think up somethin' a bit more personal for you, won't I?" She ended with a wink, smiling at James.

She liked this guy. And she had the impression he liked her, so what was wrong with a bit of flirting? She needed a friend, so new to St. Louis. But it seemed like she might get more than that.

"So, you work at the factory nearby," Anna said, more as a statement than a question, "You like it there?"

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 am GMT 

"Well if you insist," he chuckled, unwilling to fight her about it. He honestly didn't care one way or the other, she could probably call him whatever she wanted and he'd answer her without a problem. James grinned at her wink but said nothing about it, or returned it. It wasn't quite the moment for that, but his smile encouraged it strongly. He silently at his stew, letting the lull in conversation sit for a moment so neither of them felt to rushed about anything. Lulls where nice after all, and they were eating too.

He nodded his head some, swallowing the bite he'd just taken. "It's work," he shrugged. "It isn't too bad, and it pays alright. Wouldn't say it's my favorite thing in the world, but it ain't all that bad either." He looked down at his bowl and then back up at her, grinning some. "But it has lead me to some nice things I guess." He laughed at that, shaking his head. "You like working here? Or is it just a hold over until something better comes along?" He figured it likely was. A pretty girl like her was probably just waiting until she could find someone who could support her, or something better than being a waitress.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am GMT 

Anna liked the way James smiled, it really suited him and she couldn't help but grin back. Maybe she would think up a nickname for him eventually, after she knew him better. For now, however, she would just stick with his name.

She listened as James explained how he felt about his job and stirred her stew. When he asked about her job, she waved around her.

"Does any girl want to stay in a job like this?" she asked with a smile, "It pays my bills." Anna paused for a moment before continuing. "So I guess I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. Not sure what that'll be. I guess I'll know it when I find it." Anna grinned and took a long drink of her soda. "Top of my list right now is gettin' used to this city. Only been here a week."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm GMT 

James shrugged some, lips pursed. "I guess not," he chuckled. He honestly didn't know a whole lot about girls. And the girls he did know about, well they were either small town farm girls, or girls of the less savory sort. Not girls like her. She smelled small town, but not farmer type like he knew. But if she was from a small town, she surely wouldn't want a guy like him. She'd want some city slicker. That didn't mean that they couldn't be friends though, and he'd be alright with that. For the most part.

He looked up at her when she said she just wanted to get used to the city, an idea slowly forming in his mind. "Well, I ain't been here all that long," he started, shrugging one shoulder before going on. "But I could maybe help show you around some. And we can get to know the other parts of the city together. I mean, if you wanna go with me, ya know..." He trailed off, feeling a little awkward just then. Girls always made him feel a little awkward after all.

Especially when he was sorta asking them out.