THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Re: Among Books ((Artemis!))
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:35 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Paul nodded, honestly finding it refreshing that Florence felt comfortable enough to tease him. Things were definitely awkward, and anything to break the tension was nice.

When the waitress came, it was impossible not to notice she was pregnant. It instantly made Paul think of his sister, working as a laundry woman to make what money she could...It was a hard position to be in at that age.

"Coffee's fine," Paul said, "With a bit of sugar and milk."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:30 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
The girl nodded her head and smiled sweetly at the both of them despite how tired she looked and despite knowing that they both had probably just looked her over and likely felt a bit of pity for her situation. "Sure thing. I'll be right back with those then," she said as she turned around and headed back to the counter.

Florence looked after her for a moment before looking back to Paul. "So pancakes, you think?"she asked with a little glance down at the menu, thanking the girl softly when she came back with two mugs full of steaming luquid, placing them down in front of each of them, hovering for a second to see if they'd decided what they wanted.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 am GMT 

"Pancakes," Paul said with a nod, glancing to the woman, "I'd like some with blueberries, please."

He gave the waitress a grin, though not one of pity. He knew from his sister how things had to be for her, and his sister had always hated the looks of pity she got.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 am GMT 

"Pancakes for me as well," Florence said after the waitress had nodded at Paul and looked to her. "With strawberries if you have any?"

"Not a whole lot," the girl frowned. "But I can mix it with some blueberries if you like."

Florence nodded her acceptance of that and the girl left them alone again. But now of course came the problem of what to talk about. There was silence so often with her sister because they were always together. It was natural with them and not awkward. But she feared it would be awkward with him.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am GMT 

Paul watched the waitress leave then cleared his throat, looking out the window of the small restaurant.

"I've never been that good with conversations," he said, "Not used to bein' around people I don't really know. I guess it's a side-effect of small-town livin'. Not much to talk about with yourself because everyone already knows everythin'."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm GMT 

"It's alright," she said with a soft little chuckle. "I'm pretty social awkward too. If it isn't work, I don't do a lot of talking." She shrugged a little too, bitting at her lip some. "Suppose some of mine is from people just assuming they know me too. Rumors are killer for social life, huh?" She sipped at her coffee for a second, watching the waitress some. "I'm okay with quiet," she said softly, looking back at him with a little smile. "It isn't going to scare me away."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm GMT 

Paul rubbed the back of his neck slightly, though he honestly felt relieved. He'd never been much of a talker.

"That's good," he said slowly, "Even at work, I tend not to talk much."

Paul glanced out the window, just watching the people on the street. It'd been some time since he'd been in the rum-running business, but he found that old habits died hard. He tended to watch for signs of trouble. If someone might be carrying a gun hidden in their coat. Even when he knew he didn't have anything to worry about.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am GMT 

Florence smiled at him at let the silence settle over the table. Yes, it was a little awkward still, but it was far less awkward without then both trying to make small talk that didn't make them sound like crazy people because neither of them were accustom to having to make non work small talk. It was nice, she supposed, that they could just enjoy one another's company without the worry of talking to fill the void.

She noticed the way he looked around, but didn't think all that much of it. He was nervous like she was, he just showed it differently. Eventually their food came out and the waitress placed it down in front of them with a little flourish and a small pitcher of syrup.

"Anything else I can get you two right now?" She asked with her one hand on her hip and the other holding the tray she'd brought out with the food. Florence shook her head no as she looked at the table, she was pretty sure they were good for now, but the girl waited for Paul to say so as well before she'd venture off again.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:40 am GMT 

Paul was glad that Florence was fine with silence. He'd never been much of a talker, even among his own family. He had to admit, he was often more comfortable with people who were willing to sit in silence than those who tried to force him to talk. Not that he didn't want to talk to Florence. He found himself drawn to her in a way, that it was easier to speak with her about things than it was with others.

When the waitress came, he looked up at her and gave a small nod.

"I'm fine, thank you," Paul told the waitress, reaching for the syrup to pour onto his pancakes.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:49 pm GMT 

"Enjoy then," the girl smiled, turning away and leaving them to their food and silence.

Florence started in on her pancakes after taking her turn with the syrup. After eating for a few minutes she looked up and smiled at him. "You're right," she said with a definitive smile and nod of her head. "They are fantastic pancakes."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:23 am GMT 

"It's a great place," Paul said, "Work keeps me busy but I try to come now and then." Paul paused giving Florence an awkward grin. "I'm not the best cook. Sometimes Jimmy is tired of livin' off sandwiches."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 am GMT 

She understood work keeping you busy. That was common for her as well. But she didn't understand not learning to cook, that seemed silly. "Well if you like, you can bring him over and have supper with my sister and me some night." She flushed as soon as her words came back to her. She had not been thinking. She just spoke and hadn't realized what it was that she had said until she'd said it.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:15 am GMT 

Paul was taken aback by the offer, staring at Florence with his fork halfway to his mouth. It took a moment for the words to fully sink in, then he gave Florence one of his half-grins,the closest to a full grin he got most of the time.

"That...That would be nice," he said softly.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:57 pm GMT 

She flushed a bit more, bitting at her bottom lip some. She was pleased that he'd said yes. Both because she was happy to not be rejected, and because she was happy at the idea of having them over. Even if nothing ever flourished romantically between them, which would make her very sad if she was honest, she could at least make a friend. Which she was also sorely lacking.

"Good," she said with a firm little nod of her head, as if that was entirely settled. "You let me know what's good for Jimmy's school schedule and we'll set it up for then."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 pm GMT 

"All right," Paul said with his own nod. He, too, was pleased with this turn of events. He had been worried their breakfast would be awkward and lead to nothing more than a casual friendship with one of his customers. Even if that was more than any type of relationship he formed outside of his family. Yet he was finding as the meal went on, he could sit in an almost comfortable silence with this woman across from him.

"I'll talk to Jimmy about it tonight," Paul went on, looking down at his pancakes as he started to absentmindedly dig a blueberry out, then plucked it up with his fork and ate it separate. Something he did as a child that persisted as he got older. "I'm sure he'll enjoy it." Paul chuckled a little, just a short, almost bark of a laugh. "If he doesn't hide because there's women around."

Here Be Characters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next