THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: Among Books ((Artemis!))
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:58 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
"It always does," she sighed knowingly, nodding her head. "Doesn't matter that it isn't the first time, it still hurts. And sometimes still surprises me. Thinking that maybe this time they'll not be so shallow and are able to see past the screen everyone else has put up around you to the truth." Which she was very hopefull would be the case with Paul. He already had shown he was willing to get to know her despite what he'd heard about her. But there was still thr possibility that once he knew the truth, he'd not be as inclined to stick around.

And now she wanted to know even more the type of things that had made people not want to be around such a nice guy as Paul. But she still held her tongue. Even as she looked at him quizzicaly, waiting for him to answer her unspoken questions.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
Paul nodded in agreement, also finding himself hoping that this time would be different. He glanced to Florence and it was easy to see the unspoken questions. He couldn't blame her for being curious. He'd certainly alluded to a lot more than he meant to with her. But...Would there really be any harm in her knowing more? After all, he knew the rumors around her and her sister...It didn't quite seem fair that he kept his secrets so tightly locked away. Maybe it'd be better to let someone know...After all, not even Jimmy knew the truth of how his mother and uncle ended up in St. Louis.

"There was an...incident in my home town," he said slowly, "Victoria was dating the mayor's son, and I knew he didn't have the best reputation with women. But he's the mayor's kid, he couldn't be touched. One day, he just up and left. Of course, everyone in town thought I did somethin' to him. After all, we never got along. And, well...Victoria and I thought it was best if we left."

Of course, there was a bit more to the 'just up and left'. Like his sister being dumped after she told her boyfriend she was pregnant. The last time Paul had seen the boy, it had been in the middle of the woods where he'd just beaten him and threatened him to stay away from his sister...Paul didn't know what happened to him after that, just that he was still alive, if barely, when he left him in the woods. And he just disappeared the next day.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:33 pm GMT 

Florence listened until it seemed like he was done with his story. She didn't speak right away, but she made sure to look up at him and offer a smile she hoped looked like she wasn't going to run away because of this new turn. When she did speak, it was quiet and calm. "People can be unnecessarily cruel." Though it seemed an awful conclusion to just jump to.

But he had opened up to her. Told her the truth, even if it could have pushed her away. He must have thought it unlikely that it would drive her away though. He had accepted her with the rumors and never asked her the truth. So she would take him at his word and not ask him if he was guilty of the crime. Not that she thought he was anyways. But there was something else she was still curious about.

"Is your nephew," she started, having done the math rather quickly. "Is he the...his son?"

Last edited by Artemis Selene on Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 am GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 am GMT 

Paul sighed, but it wasn't an annoyed sort. More just resigned.

"Yes, he is," he said, "I guess there really is more to the story. He broke it off with my sister when she told him she was pregnant. She was expecting marriage, to cover things so she wouldn't be an unwed mother. It's what caused all the problems, had us shunned by the city when he disappeared." Paul paused for a moment. "Jimmy doesn't know, of course. He doesn't know anythin' about his father."

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 am GMT 

"I wouldn't tell him either," she shrugged. "I mean, I don’t know if I'd tell when he's older either. But certainly not right now. He doesn't need that." The father seemed, just from what little she had heard, to be less than wonderful. No matter what had really happened to him, the boy didn't need a jerk for a father. Not when he had a kind uncle to be the father he needed.

She smiled a little hesitantly up at him. "He's got you, he doesn't need him. Especially when he didn't want him."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 pm GMT 

Paul gave a bit of a half smile, watching Florence.

"I ain't exactly the best father figure," he said, "Or at least, in the way of parentin'. I've never really been that good with kids, even with Anna before we left." Paul paused, frowning a little. He thought about Anna every day, but just today, he'd found herself mentioning her more than he hand in the past ten years combined...

"Before Victoria passed, I was mainly the uncle who ran a shop and sometimes gave them part of my paycheck," Paul went on, "And even when they did visit, he usually hid in a corner of the shop and read, or went out to play with local boys."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:29 am GMT 

"You're in his life," she countered. "And you care for him. That's something. That's a father. The rest of it will come when you need it too. Just got to love him." She had had the advantage of being sisters with the child she'd ended up taking care of. But that didn't change what she said. It had been hard being Sylvia's mother and sister, but what the girl had needed was love and care. And that's what she gave her.

"Almost anything has to be better than a father that didn't want him at all."

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:42 pm GMT 

"I hope you're right," Paul said with a sigh, glancing to Florence, "I am tryin'. It's never exactly the life you expected to have, is it? Raisin' family members and lettin' them become your main focus...I guess when that happens, sometimes you forget to live for yourself."

Paul paused for a second, pointing towards the end of the street.

"The diner is just up there," he said, "Their breakfast is pretty good."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 am GMT 

"Yeah," she scoffed, rolling her eyes. There was a reason she was almost thirty, still single, and hadn't had a long term relationship since she was seventeen. The rumors excluded. "It does become all consuming sometimes."

She looked down the way to place he was talking about. "Well I hope so, I'm awfully hungry after all. Been waiting for a long time for this." And maybe not just the breakfast itself, but what it represented. Moving on into something else that didn't have Sylvia right there with her. Something for just herself.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 am GMT 

"I've gotten pretty hungry myself," Paul said, and he was looking forward to this for the same reasons Florence had. He'd spent so much time his entire life looking after others. To have something to himself was new and welcome.

As they reached the diner, Paul stepped forward and opened the door for Florence, giving her an awkward smile. As rough around the edges he was, he had still been raised to be a southern gentleman. And no matter how much of hard living had been able to beat that out of him.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:35 am GMT 

She smiled sweetly up at him as he opened the door for her and stepped past him into the dinner. She waited until he was in with her before walking over to a booth and sliding into it, adjusting her skirts back into place as she did so. She tired not to look up at him too much as he settled as well, but it was hard not to. And it was hard not to keep that nervous little smile from her faxe as well. Because this was such a good thing. For the both of them.

((Gah, I'm sorry for the length and general lack of content >. < ))

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am GMT 

((It's fine, sometimes there just isn't much to say, especially when your mind is in a block.))

Paul followed Florence, settling down across from her in the booth and found himself watching her as he picked up a menu. He had to admit, the little smile on her face was nice, even if she did seem nervous. He couldn't claim not to be nervous himself. This was something well out of his element.

"They have some good pancakes here," he said after a moment, unable to think of anything, "They top it with blueberries, dunno where they get them from though."

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:32 pm GMT 

((Do you have a waitress in mind for here? I've got a few I could toss in if you like, or we can NPC it as well. Whatever floats your boat.))

"Probably from a farm," she said with a little shrug, not looking up right away. "Though I doubt it's that direct. Probably bought it at a market." When she did look up at him it was obvious that she was teasing him. She knew what he had meant, but she couldn't help it but reply with a bit of harmless sass.

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 am GMT 

((go ahead, I don't mind at all. I had nothing in mind, haha))

Paul stared at Florence when she made the farm comment, and it took him a moment to realize she was teasing. Slowly, he shook his head with an odd sort of chuckle, just a short little laugh.

"I guess I sort of walked into that one, didn't I?" he asked with a small grin.

Here Be Characters

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:35 pm GMT 

"Oh just a little bit," she laughed, holding up one hand with her thumb and forefinger held just the slightest bit apart. "But I'll try to not take too much advantage of it." She was glad he'd not taken the too hard. They were an awkward enough pair at the moment, there was no need to add more awkwardness to it by her blundering it up with a joke.

She glanced up when tried looking teenage girl, and as her eyes travelled up she noticed an apparently pregnant teenage girl, stood at the end of their table. "What can I get you guys to drink?" She asked before looking up at them. "And if you know what you want already...?"

"Well I'll take some hot tea," Florence answered shrugging about the rest of it though.

((the waitress is in my siggy, Rebeca Axford. I'm mobile though and can't figure out how to copy-paste.))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next