THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Literary Revolutionary
 Post subject: Re: Unexpected [[JacobGrey!]]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 am GMT 

Custom Title: Literary Revolutionary
"Well," Matthieu paused, as if unwilling to admit the answer, then gave a little self conscious shrug of his shoulders and half a chuckle. "I suppose I may have been neglecting all other things. You know how it is when you get caught up in a new venture! There are menus to approve, and then you have to schmooze all of the right people and the critics to even get them in the place, and then you have to stay on top of the books... it's no excuse I suppose, but now that you bring it up I guess that there has not been much of a non-business side of my life at all for some while."

He looked down at his hands a moment, fiddled with a button on his waistcoat. He was trying to be a better person these days, and perhaps he did not trust himself to be able to manage it in company.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 am GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Fed nodded.

"I know, I know, it happens to all of us. Falling off the map. I may be out from time to time, but it's with the same people it's always been, and that can be very much the same thing", he replied. Eye contact, all of a sudden, had become a difficult feat. "You're a different matter; I've known you for most of my life, but I haven't spent very much time with you, not really, not... one to one".

He put his hands together in his lap, his eyes fixed now on his own shoes.

"I'd guess you may be thinking, 'I like a social call, but what compelled Federick to come over here, rather than Lionel, or Neil, or Salv'".

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:53 am GMT 

Matthieu half smiled, but there was warmth in it. 'It is unusual, I will admit,' he replied. 'But I don't want you to think it is by any means unwelcome. Perhaps sometimes we need to shake things up and not do very much the same thing any more.'

He was almost trying to force a positive explanation onto Fed, that both of them could accept - just in case the real reason was something far more terrible, like this just being a business call after all or some kind of bad news.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 am GMT 

In truth, Matthieu couldn't be further off the mark, but Fed had never been great at unspoken communication. He looked back up at last.

"Would you like to have dinner with me?"

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 am GMT 

Matthieu paused, his hand stopping suddenly in what had been a quest for his cigarette case in one of his pockets. He looked back at Fed in surprise, and for a moment the only thing that he could manage to get out of his mouth was air.

'... Sure,' he said after a moment, regaining his composure to fish the silver case out at last and pop it open. 'Why not?'

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:06 pm GMT 

He smiled immediately.

"Really...? That's fantastic. I was afraid I was torturing myself over nothing, preparing myself for disappointment. That's fantastic".

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 am GMT 

Matthieu slipped a cigarette into his mouth with a lopsided smile, and offered the case in Fed's direction. "Well, it seems both of us could do with a little bit of interaction, no?" he replied. "Nothing like getting back on the horse. And you and I, we're old friends; we know we'll get along."

The outlook was positive for certain, but he was not going to wax too lyrical just yet. After all, they might find over dinner that friends is all they were, but it was always worth finding out.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:44 am GMT 

"That's right, nothing like getting back into the game", he agreed, and took a cigarette. "A bottle of wine, a meal out, as I haven't had in a month or so-- yes, I think that'll be quite enjoyable, whatever happens".

When the sentence was over, Fed wished he could redact that last addition, 'whatever happens'. The message he had been trying to get across was quite innocent.

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:44 am GMT 

Matthieu gave a short laugh at that; whether Fed had meant it that way or not, he took it as a warning about the fact that they may find themselves compatible as friends only. "At least we will avoid all of those horrors that come with a blind date, hmm? The awkward silence, the wondering if you have happened upon an axe murderer..." He lit his cigarette with a gold monogrammed lighter and held the flame out to Fed for him to use.

He tried to avoid the wry smile that was sure to twist his face when he considered that up until painfully recently, it might have been him who was the violent psychopath at the other side of the table. Still, that ordeal was behind him, and all of the mental strain that had come with it had been carefully and painstakingly repaired by his psychologist.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am GMT 

Fed leaned forward to light up.

"Exactly. And yet, there aren't very many options open to us, are there?"

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:54 am GMT 

"No, indeed," Matthieu muttered, the close-mouthed words of a man holding his cigarette in his lips as he carefully lights another cigarette. Job done, he leaned back into his chair again and slipped the lighter back into his pocket. "Still, you have it easier; you should try being a Frenchman who doesn't live in Louisiana!"

It was a joke, but there was a little truth to it. Looking for people who did not have xenophobic tendencies was much easier, however, than looking for those who were less than straight.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm GMT 

Fed smiled, didn't think Matthieu expected a reply. In truth, he would never know who had had it easier, and it didn't really matter.

"I look forward to it, Matt", he said after a time.

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 am GMT 

"Indeed," Matthieu replied, and then paused himself for a moment, before pointing at Fed with his cigarette in a laconic kind of manner. "Though isn't it a little awkward now, hein? To organise the dinner but then actually be still conversing afterwards? I'm sure they don't do it this way in those Hollywood movies. Of course, it's hard to tell without the sound."

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm GMT 

Fed thought for a second, and tried to decide whether to laugh, or to try to take a page from the Hollywood script. Maybe I'll leave that 'til later, if at all.

"...I do suppose you're right. I don't want to find out everything about you in advance, now, do I?"

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm GMT 

Matthieu did laugh in response to that, the irony something that he could very much appreciate. It appealed to his sense of humour directly.

"No, indeed," he agreed amiably. "That would be breaking all of the rules, or so I have been led to believe."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next