THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:18 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Unexpected [[JacobGrey!]]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
For months, when it occupied his mind, Federick had been debating with himself what he was about to do. Car chases, night-time firefights, that hellish interlude in prison-- none of it measured up to this. This required planning and confidence unknown to most people, who would never find themselves in the situation.

He checked himself in every car window until finally satisfied that his hair was just windswept enough. Any more, and he would have to smooth it out, and another circle of the block would be required as he rebuilt his confidence.

At last he stepped onto the porch of Matthieu Vienne's new home, a smaller house, charming in its relative seclusion. Matthieu had grown quieter recently, calmer, almost certainly happier... but Fed could not judge. He had not spoken to him in months, though he'd often thought about giving it a try.

He went to knock, and managed a rather feeble rap. Good start. Assertive.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Literary Revolutionary
 Post subject: Re: Unexpected [[JacobGrey!]]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Literary Revolutionary
Matthieu opened the door in a rush just a short while after Fed had knocked. He had been doing a spot of washing up in the kitchen, close to the front door, when he heard the knock, and he still had a dishcloth slung over one shoulder as he looked up to see who it was. It was always a novelty to do something that the help had been accustomed to doing before.

"... Fed!" He exclaimed, surprised to see his old friend after so much time. "What are you doing here? Not that I don't want you here, of course. Come in, come in!" He stood to one side and made an ushering gesture, a big grin illuminating his face as the idea of talking again to someone who he had known for a long time filtered through to his mind.

(Any typos will be noted and changed when I am not typing from a phone haha)

Last edited by JacobGrey on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 am GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm GMT 

Fed smiled. Matthieu was relaxed, easy to talk to. Fed had been terrified of politeness.

"Matthieu-- thank you, I would like to come in, if I may. I hope it's a good time for a catch-up?"

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm GMT 

"Of course, of course. It's always a good time to catch up with an old friend," Matthieu smiled back. "Come in and tell me everything that you've been up to since I saw you last."

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 pm GMT 

Fed stepped out of the cold, and pulled his gloves off. His hands were freezing; it was getting close to zero now.

"I've been on a few errands in the city centre, been at a few opening nights... you know, places that couldn't have done it without us. They pat me on the back, give me drinks on the house. Life is slow for me, but... tell me about you, we've all been wondering".

His own story bored even himself, since he chose to leave out the bad parts. Pulling the scarf from his neck and the coat from his back, Fed looked a little slight, as he always had been. Not thin, even on the lithe side, but breakable.

Last edited by Silvanus on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 am GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 am GMT 

"Well, that's not so bad," Matthieu replied, closing the door. "Sounds fairly relaxing as a matter of fact. As for me, I've been setting up my businesses. All the dreary work of a guy who has a lot of paperwork to fill out."

He held out his arm for the coat, scarf and gloves, getting ready to hang them up on some coat pegs just by the door.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:32 am GMT 

Fed balled the gloves up into a coat pocket, and handed it over with a nod of thanks.

"And d'you ever miss guns and plots?"

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:18 am GMT 

Matthieu hung them up and turned back with a smirk. "I don't miss getting shot at. But where it comes to plots, there's plenty of them in this kind of business, I can tell you. The restaurant isn't so bad, but the boat, well, let's just say there are a lot of people who want to get into the shipping business these days."

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:58 am GMT 

He nodded.

"And Sofia?"

Fed, like most of his family, had always found Sofia impossible to dislike. In truth, that's what made the memory of Neil's efforts all the more painful. The poor girl had been subjected to various machinations, first by Neil, and secondly by Charles; it was a miracle they had retained their friendship.

With Matthieu now having largely left organised crime behind him, it had, if anything, become stronger.

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 am GMT 

Matthieu shrugged, and a vague look of sadness passed over his face. "She seems to be alright. I set her up in a nice place of her own, with a housekeeper to keep her on the straight and narrow. She doesn't appreciate interference from her big brother so much any more, so I just try and help without it looking like I am."

He gestured to an open door off to their right, inside which the living room awaited. "Please," he added, intended as an instruction to go through and sit down.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 am GMT 

He headed through, scanned the room, and chose the deepest seat he could see. Matthieu's new home was inordinately comfortable.

"That's understandable", he replied, and quickly moved the conversation onto more relaxing ground. "I like your new home... a lot. Haven't you changed? --not a bad thing, definitely".

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:07 pm GMT 

Mattheiu took the seat nearest to him, and smiled widely at the compliment. "Merci, Fed. I suppose I have, at that. Things are much more relaxing when you are just getting on with your own business."

He neglected to add and not having to stop your sister losing your mind every five minutes, and not battling with your truly insane father, and not being imprisoned and beaten up in France, and not thinking about what happened back then any more because you know that he would want you to move on.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm GMT 

"Yes, and you seem more at ease with the world. I'm not going to try and rope you back, as Neil would undoubtedly have done. He wanted to come with--"

Fed stopped himself from finishing the sentence; 'but I mentioned I'd prefer to head over alone'.

Literary Revolutionary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 am GMT 

Matthieu smiled gently; his assumption, unfortunately, was that Neil still felt a little awkward after that whole saga that had happened between them, and that he had not been comfortable enough to visit. "He is welcome any time, of course," he replied, trying to stress that there was no bad blood there. "Though I'm glad you won't try - I daresay you might find it a little impossible now that things have changed so much."

((Side note - is that Neil/Abby storyline still happening? XD))

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 am GMT 

"You seem too happy with things as they are", Fed replied. "What about the non-business side, Matt, tell me what you've been up to there".

The question was broad, and Fed was unwittingly fishing for details on a specific subject in particular. He himself had taken to the bars again, with friends and brothers, but there was nothing unusual in that-- he usually did, in winter. Fed was a very seasonal socialite and drinker.