THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:02 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Love to live, live to love
 Post subject: On the Run ((Mazelina))
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 am GMT 

Custom Title: Love to live, live to love
((Sorry about the delay Maze :P Been a very hectic week...))

It was all supposed to go so smoothly.

While the store owner investigated the sound of broken glass in the back of his store, Stanley would grab as much cash from the open register, and maybe a few pieces of butterscotch drops from the jar on the counter. Then, he and Jimmy would get the hell out of there.

Of course, any plan formulated by a child as old as he was bound to have it's fallacies.

Just as he was about to grab the cash, the store owner returned, Jimmy's arm in his hand. He watched as the store owner, focused on Jimmy's screams and protests more than him, used the opportunity to try and make his get away. Jumping from the counter towards the front door, he gave his friend and apologetic look, and took off. At first, the store owner thought he had scared away a shy customer. But, he put two and two together when he saw the hair pin and pen tip wedged into the lock mechanism of the cash register.

The brisk and rapid pitter-patter of Stanley's shoes on the pavement conveyed his distress. The raging threats made by the trade store owner only fueled his fears and legs. His pace was put off kilter as he rounded a corner, using a street lamp to sling-shot himself around and on to the straight, but busy street. The store owner and a nearby officer were right on his heels. Ducking into the mess of cats that had accumulated on the sidewalks, Stanley weaved and zig-zagged for his life between everyone standing around. He hoped that this would be enough to loose his pursuers. Alas, luck had not been on his side lately. Last week, he had been caught stealing bread by the owner of the river side bistro. Then, he had narrowly escaped the owner of the coffee store after it had been discovered he was searching through her garbage. And now there was this nonsense!

Stanley pushed his way through the crowd that had gathered. He hadn't thought of why there were so many people out here today until he heard the majestic trumpet of an elephant.

The Tristen Brothers Circus had come to Saint Louis. Stanley had completely forgotten that it was arriving today, and under normal circumstances, he'd be apart of the gathered masses, watching the parade himself. He had never seen circus before, and he had planned to sneak in the day they opened. But, if he was caught now, he wasn't sure he'd be able to make it.

Many cats in the crowd cried out in surprise as the small kitten pushed his way through them and towards the main street. Some would soon feel the small push a child, and others would be thrown to the ground by an larger, angry cat and a police officer.

"There! Stop him! Somebody!" the store owner screamed over the excited rumble of the waiting crowd.

Stanley, his breath almost gone and his legs growing fatigued, hoped that he would be able to end this chase soon. All he needed was the right opportunity...

Feel free to PM, I'm probably just as bored as you! :D

My Characters.

Knats and Potato Chips
 Post subject: Re: On the Run ((Mazelina))
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Knats and Potato Chips
Stefan was having a less hectic day then most, but it certainly was busier. Normally he'd of already been at home, but opportunity had come knocking right at the end of his shift. As he'd been returning his borrowed cart the he used to lug newspapers, the boss strolled over and offered the chance,all he had to do was walk with the parade,smile and had out the colorful flyers. Extra money was always a good thing, and he could handle it so long as talking wasn't involved, so the deal was done and Stefan hit the pavement.

All was going well as he walked along passing out the pieces of paper in front of the crowd with the parade, until a familiar face wandered up beside him." Well hey there! Not trying to run away with these guys are yea?" Emil, the second eldest brother of the Thresher family, wore a mischievous grin as he strolled with his brother. His paws were deep in his pockets, and he wore his cap newsboy cocked to the side.

"No, I'm not." Stefan replied without looking at him,continuing his work. He didn't understand how his brother could be so focused, and then be such a slacker. One that could be ever so distracting." What is it you want? I'm on the clock."

"Awww, so harsh!" Emil slung an arm around his brother's shoulder." Can't I just want to spend time with my darling baby brother?"

"Ick." Stefan's nose wrinkled at the mocking,doting tone." Not when I'm busy." Stefan's smiled became strained for a moment as he ducked out from under the arm.

"Tsk...." Emil shoved his hand back into his pocket, strolling along as before, faking a pout." You know..."As Emil paused,waiting for his younger brother, he caught the bit of action that had stirred up the crowd.A boy was ducking and dodging his way through,and beating the cop and angry cat who had decided just to throw people out of the way. Emil had respect for the police and all but......it was time for his 'good deed' of the day. Stefan was beside him again and intending to continue onwards,ignoring the ruckus.

"I know what?" He muttered, now glancing at his brother that said little more then 'buzz off'.

"Time for a break!"Emil had to time it just right,and he did. The older boy shoulder checked his brother through the crowd,breaking it up enough for Emil to come in right after and grab the back of the the would-be fugitives shirt. Stefan only stumbled forward some-more and into the alleyway." Come here you troublemaker!" Emil exclaimed, dragging the no doubt struggling boy to the alley. He also took the time to shove Stefan forward some more,continuing his confused brothers onward stumble." Play along kid." Emil said with his trouble-maker smile to the unknown boy." I ain't gettin' yea caught." He plunked the boy amongst the garbage cans and told him to get down.

Stefan had several choice words at the moment, it was an absolute flurry of motion and getting pushed aorund. He barely had his balance when he faced his brother."Dammnit Emil! What the hell are you-"

He was interrupted by a shove into trash cans, knocking over all but those concealing the trouble make, and confusing Stefan all the more." Just look irritated and be quiet....yea like that!" Flyers were everywhere,floating about them and enhancing Emil's little scene.

Emil put his big mouth to work, messing up his own hair,dropping his hat and un-tucking his shirt before flagging down the cop." Hey! He went this way! The squirmy punk tried to cut down the alley!" He moved to start picking up his flummoxed brother,reaching out a hand and putting his body directly in the line of sight of the little fugitive should the police and other gent round the corner. For a guy that went to church every Sunday, Emil could put on quite the show.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:27 pm GMT 

"Da bloody hell?" Stanley had cried out as he had been picked up by some unknown person, and dragged towards an alleyway. "Let me go ya nasty bugger! Buzz off!"

At the words "Buzz off" Stanley promptly found himself being tossed into a pile of garbage. The stench hit him just as instantly as the pavement underneath the rotten mess of filth.

"Play along kid. I ain't gettin' yea caught," he heard his assailant whisper. Stanley, unsure of how this stranger was able to identify his issue, did as he was told. He silently sat up, making sure to stay low to the ground, and looked through a space between two cans. He watched as a second cat, one that had apparently accompanied the other, was violently pushed into the cans next to him. Stanley thought he was catching on, though he wondered if the officer and the store owner would really believe a child of his size could push anyone over.

The first to come into view in the alleyway was the angry store owner. He stopped to hear what the kid in the alleyway had to say. It was the first time Stanley had a chance to get a look at the owner; he was thin, gentleman-looking cat with a pencil-thin goatee. He was quickly followed by the officer, who Stanley couldn't pin any different from the rest of the "Bulls in Blue." They tore off past the cans and down the way, hollering for a non-existent thief to stop.

Stanley couldn't help but grin. He couldn't believe he was able to shake those goons. But, poor Jimmy... he hadn't been so lucky. He'd have to give him a little extra for his hard work; if he had escaped.

Stanley reached into his pocket to check that the money he had managed to grab was still there. To his relief, it was, and he waited a few seconds before standing up. He was still shocked that this other cat had helped him for no reason. He started brushing off much of the garbage that had clung to his clothes. "Thanks a heap mate, although you could've given me a bit more warnin' eh?" He brushed off his long socks, and looked back to search for his hat.

My Characters.

Knats and Potato Chips
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm GMT 

Emil hauled his brother up, and brushed away some dirt off his shoulder. Stefan wasn't pleased one bit, which was clear from the way he swatted away Emil's hand. With little to say, he began brushing his own self off.

"Ey, no problem kid." Emil tilted back his hat with that coy smile and a mischievous wink." Figured yea needed a hand- ain't no sense for our good ol officers to be worried about...."Emil looked the kid up and down,and listened to the hollers of 'thief'." Little ol' pickpocket? Woulda warned yea but...." Emil seemed to roll the thought around in his mind on just what he was going to say." I was improvising."

"Pfft, I'm with him." Stefan muttered, kicking off a banana peel from his shoe and gesturing toward the smaller boy." Any warning at all wold of been better then getting chucked about like a sack of flour." He fixed his cap, normally Stefan would be very quiet, but he was a bit frazzled and didn't have the exact,socially awkward mind frame of usual. " Stefan by the way,and this oaf is my brother Emil."

"Your just quite the grump ain'tcha?" Emil razzed him, clearly, he loved to get under Stefan's skin just about a much as he loved dragging him along on odd escapades like this.

Stefan didn't have much more to say on it,and instead grabbed any salvageable flyers and shoved them into his bag.

Emil looked at Stanley as his brother started to relax a bit." So, what were you up to that upset that guy so badly?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 pm GMT 

Stanley wiped off his now filthy hat, and said in a low voice, "I don't know. The bloke maybe didn't want sumfing as filfy as me walking around his pitch-perfect store..."

He frowned as he thought about the owner's pompous and arrogant looking face as he scolded Jimmy. Eech, people like him made hims ill. Perhaps that's why he stole from them; he felt like they didn't deserve what they had because they were so imperious. Li'l folks like him had to eat to.

"So, what brings you to this part of Saint Louis?" he asked, wiping some of the dirt smudged into his face's fur with the back of his paw. "And, what inclined you to 'elp a kid like's myself?"

He was, indeed, very curious as to why he had stopped and risked himself to the mercy of the Blue B****rds, and hadn't just let him get caught. No one had shown him that sort of kindness since he met the newspaper owner Daniel.

Ah, da hell with him, Daniel never had shown him any real sympathy. He just treated him like any of his other employees... or "had treated him" was a better way to put it. Damn him to 'ell; after all, he was the one responsible for putting him out on to the streets.

He hoped he never saw him again.

But, if he did, he hoped that he was in the back seat of a Rolls Royce, wearing a three piece suit with a sherry and a cigar in his paws.

That would show that greedy, stupid arse newspaper owner.

My Characters.

Knats and Potato Chips
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm GMT 

Emil let it slide, the kid probably was up to trouble in the store- but he wasn't about to pry into it. Emil wasn't particularly squeaky clean himself- plus the boy appeared to be in rough shape. Not just from his stint in the cans either. " Well if he was having a fit before about dirt, he might get awfully rumpled now." Emil teased lightly, he then looked over to his brother."We ain't so fond o' that owner are we eh, Stefan?"

Stefan shuffled a bit, looking a bit uncomfortable with the subject." Naw- he's sorta an arse really. Guys got eyes like a hawk, and he hates boys. Only nice to the woman folk." Stefan shrugged, nudging at the dirt in the street. " He's a bit of a loon."

"Yea, besides, we had to get our good deed of the day in!As for what we're doing, he's gotta hand out these dumb things for circus and I gotta appointment.... Only,you ain't done your deed today Stefan." Emil clapped an arm across of his little brothers shoulders, leaning on him." I gotta go meet some lovely gentlemen for a match, so you chaps play nice."

Stefan looked at his brother with a scrunched,confused face as if to say 'your bloody crazy'.

Emil patted his shoulder." Course, Stanley here needs to agree."Emil gave a swiping gesture towards the young man,and was practically now leaning all his weight against his brother.He had a near damnable smile on his face." Now- that lovely rampaging knuckle head and stupid loon are going to realize that you gave them the slip. Since I can't very well take either of you boys with me, Stefan here will be a good samaritain and claim you've been helping him with flyers aaaaall afternoon." Stefan looked a bit skeptical, he was a terrible liar. Emil ignored it and continued." Cause otherwise Stanly, they are going to be looking for a boy matching your decision all around here for a good while. Just play innocent and eventually they'll beat it. We good with that?"

Stefan reluctantly nodded- he didn't like all the sneaky busy and the sudden responsibility, but what else could he do? Leave the boy to the wolves?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm GMT 

Stanley sighed, and put his hands on his hips. Well, it was better than spending a couple of nights in the slammer. And, Emil had a point; it would be an excellent alibi to use if the cops questioned him about the store incident. This Stephan character seemed okay, and maybe he'd get a little something out of this arrangement for himself.

"Awright, sure. Be happy to do my good deed for da day..." Stanley said, putting his hands into his pockets. "Doesn't seem like I have much say in da matter anyhow's." Stanley held out his paw for the satchel bag filled with flyers. "I'll take dat off your hands now gov'. After all, you've got's a..." he paused a minute, contemplating the words both Emil had spoken and the words Stanley was about to speak.

"Pardon me, but did ya' say 'match?' As in a fight?" the young kit asked, his ears perking up. Stanley was a very huge fan of boxers. They were a true, real life symbol of cat's struggle to stay alive in a society trying to eat them alive.

Boy, did 'e love a good philosofeecal book e'ry now and 'en.

But, a fight? Oh, he simply had to see it for himself.

My Characters.

Knats and Potato Chips
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 am GMT 

“See! A good a chap if I ever saw one!” Emil smiled at his brother who in return shrugged him off.

“Yea, sounds like a plan anyway. I suppose that shop keep has it coming to him.” Stefan, forcing himself to justify this little charade, began to remove his satchel to pass it off to Stanley. There was a pause though as the boy questioned his mischievous brother.

Ha! Talk yourself outta this one!

Emil’s face dropped, why had that slipped out? That is just the sort of thing you keep quiet in the presence of younger boys- many were interested in a good row. The only problem was that the company Emil kept to go through with this wasn’t too pleased with the younger sort running about. Hell, some protested against woman.

However, as quick as his smile fell it returned.” Aye, that I did! Nothin’ so fancy as some but decent enough. Not quite the place for ye guys though. It’s aaaaaa….”Emil had to look for a word that could accurately describe the situation.” Rougher crowd. An’ it’s probably not gonna be to pretty a day by my guess.” Emil stroked his chin a moment.”Yea, most certainly. So I bet be high-tailin’ it outta here and get on with it.” Emil smiled once and went to walk of.

Though Stefan gave a coy smile of his own His brother was uncomfortable for once, and so, the younger brother leapt at the opportunity.” Ye know, might be better for us to go with you. And the not so pretty days and more entertaining anyway. Certainly the boys wouldn’t mind a bit of padding to the crowd? What do you think Stanley?” Stefan smiled warmly at the other boy and a wink.” I’d say it’d be a safer bet.”

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:30 am GMT 

"A rougher crowd ya' say? Well, don't you worry about me, gov'. I can handle me self!" He wiped his nose with his thumb, and held up his hands like one of the fighter's you'd see on posters around town. "Ain't no fella' tall or wide I couldn't hold me own with! ... But if it's, um.. all the same, I wouldn't mind the company. You blokes seem to know your way around the ring anyhow." He looked between the two brothers before shouldering the satchel. "Well, shall we move it along fellas? Or are we going to stand like stiffs in puddles of molasses?"

My Characters.