THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

is a spider-child
 Post subject: Re: Old Wounds (Northern)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:14 am GMT 

Custom Title: is a spider-child
Denmark's slightly uneasy look before he excused himself had Don wondering if the alcohol had suddenly disagreed with him, but he didn't question it, instead simply nodded and raised his glass a little to Denmark to show he understood.

The air outside was cool, the sun having set long ago and the last of the residual warmth having mostly faded. Depending on how you looked at it, Denmark would luckily, or unluckily not be the only one longing to escape the heat of the indoors for long. After a minute or two of the peaceful almost-quiet of the city night the clang of the door opening again was heard, followed by tipsy giggles and the click-clack of high heeled shoes as two women stepped out; one, the younger, lither one, more stumbled than stepped though and her companion supported her... by propping her up against the wall, pinning her wrists against it and capturing her lips in a kiss.

Carmen's characteristically curly hair, the dark dress with the low-cut back, and her height made her easy to recognize as she released her young companion's hands in favour of stroking a hand over her hair and down her neck. The dark then made it a bit hard to see where the hand wandered, but there was a rather suspicious movement under her coat at approximately chest height. The young woman smiled and returned the favour, and even from a distance you could hear her murmur something that sounded vaguely like a request to see Carmen again. Her response was quiet, but judging by the smile on the other woman's face it must have been a satisfying one. After a brief kiss they parted, and Carmen watched her put her hat on, pull her coat closed and make for the street. When she had rounded the corner the Parisienne's shoulders lifted and fell in what seemed like a content sigh and she turned around, green eyes landing on Denmark. There was no surprise to be seen on her face as she sauntered over at a lazy pace, but instead a content smile as she ran a thumb over her bottom lip to remove her smeared lipstick.

"It's so sweet when people are so grateful," she said with a soft, rather content chuckle and a similarly satisfied sigh, the words clearly addressing the behaviour of the young lady. "Are you already calling it a night, Mr. Jones?"

Egad!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:21 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Egad!
It seemed that Carmen, ubiquitous in the course of her conquests, had been summoned through thought alone. Though he glanced up at the click of heels, he tactfully looked away the moment she pinned the younger woman to the wall. He could hear the giggles and the murmured promise well enough, but kept his eyes averted. Denmark couldn’t help but wonder if Carmen’s unabashed antics weren’t, at some level, a kind of display. Not to say she didn’t enjoy them—that much seemed clear; she did. But perhaps she enjoyed them a bit more when she knew someone was marveling at her willingness to break the rules.

Denmark had been expecting the ladies to depart together; he was surprised to find himself left alone with Carmen. If he had been wavering a minute prior, fate had made the choice for him. Now he was almost scared by his good fortune. There wasn’t any reason, he supposed, for Carmen to reject him outright. He was clean, respectful, well-to-do, and blandly handsome. But these virtues were the very constituents of his downfall—Denmark was about as interesting, in his own estimation, as a brick.

When Carmen's footsteps began to approach, he glanced back, pensive and restless, not quite returning her smile.

“The very question I've been asking myself.” He took out his watch without really looking at it. “I don't know what more to say or do, but I’m not yet ready to sleep.”

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:04 am GMT 

Carmen raised a well groomed eyebrow some at his words. This line was one she was quite familiar with, along with its cousin "I was thinking about going to bed, but I don't want to sleep", but it didn't quite come off as an insinuation when Denmark spoke it. Wary by nature as she was Carmen wouldn't dismiss the possibility that there might be something a bit less respectable lurking behind the words, but she still remembered his earlier reactions and thoughts on the matter of casual intimacy, and was thus not quite sure what to think of it.

Stopping by the door she reached out, hand resting on the door handle as though preparing to head back inside, but instead she stayed, eyes still on Denmark.

"... Is that so?"

Letting her hand slip down she turned more towards him, leaning her bare shoulder against the wall of the building and crossing her arms. There wasn't any hostility in her posture or voice, but instead a sort of evaluative air, as if she was just waiting for him to do something while at the same time trying to predict what that "something" would be; she wasn't about to put words in his mouth, either to help or hinder him.

Egad!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 am GMT 

He almost cringed as her brow arched. It had been a stupid thing to say. Even Denmark wasn't sure what he'd meant--there was an implication there, perhaps, but it would be easier to solve the dilemma of how to occupy his time by reading some Langston Hughes and Rupert Brooke before bed.

Then Carmen lingered, watching him with those luminous green eyes. For a moment, he was struck by the notion that he was not seeing her but someone else's memory. A woman could only be this beautiful when gilded by nostalgia. As she leaned against the wall, curls spilling over her shoulder, he drank in the image--Carmen in half light.

Denmark broke his own reverie. He glanced away, embarrassed.

"I...apologize for staring," he said. "You're--I--you are exquisite."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:22 am GMT 

Carmen blinked, and while she was carefully in control of her expressions a majority of the time genuine surprise showed for a moment at the compliment.

"Exquisite?" she echoed, her French accent making the word sound even grander. "Is that... exquis? Quite a big compliment that. It might even be a first."

Reigning in her expression again she then shrugged, turning to lean her back against the wall instead so she could cross her legs at the ankles. The apology might have been genuine but it didn't mean much to her since it mostly sounded as a prelude for the compliment; it wasn't that she took any greater joy in being wary but even with someone as seemingly gentle as Denmark she had troubles not being cynical about what a compliment might mean. It made it harder not to jump to conclusions about what his earlier statement had implied.

"People stare," she said, her voice void of arrogance because she was only stating a fact. She was aware that both her body and face attracted attention, and while some might let this get to their head she took it for what it was; a stroke of luck and chance. It wasn't as though she didn't use it to her advantage at times, there was a reason she would wear a dress like the one she wore this evening, but you were just as likely to encounter her in men's trousers and and a ratty sweater, and she would likely punch your lights out if you implied she would hold someone else's looks against them. To her actions always spoke the loudest. But at the same time, the reason she would feel wary at compliments or certain phrases was that she suspected that someone might be attracted to her and want something from her; this was a form of arrogance if you asked some, while others would say she had learned from experience, and most would agree that it was a form of cynicism.

"You don't look too shabby yourself, if we're discussing appearance," she then added, matter of factly enough to take all fondness out of the compliment. "Is there a particular reason you are finding me... exquisite right now?"

Egad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 pm GMT 

Denmark was relieved for the cover of darkness. He felt a flush creeping up his neck, all the way to his ears. He didn't respond to the remark on his appearance. Like Carmen, he knew objectively that most found him handsome, though he had never been subjected to the leering that was an element of her everyday life.

Was there a reason he found her exquisite? She'd been exquisite in the pharmacy, too. Tonight, however, he was telling her in a moment of weakness. He'd spent the day agonizing about Olive, and the interminable silence of his very clean flat. The chance encounter with Don and Carmen seemed to present an alternative to celibacy and self-loathing. Of course, Denmark could never have said such things to her face.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry, this is extremely unprofessional, but--if you'd ever like to join me for dinner, I'd be much obliged."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 pm GMT 

Dinner was not what she had expected. Carmen was indeed pleasantly surprised by the proposition and it showed in the slight rise of her eyebrows. It firmer established the idea that Denmark was indeed the cautious kind; there was no gusrantee what he might hope to have for dessert following that dinner, but he was being decent about it and that could not be denied. It was a nice change of pace and politeness ought to be returned.

"Well," she started, lips pursing some before she was unable to hold back a smile. "I thought you were going to ask for something else there, I will admit."

There was a moment where she seemed to consider the offer, eyes travelling up and down his body once before she simply shrugged. "Sure," she then conceded. "That wpuld be alright with me."

Egad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am GMT 

At the admission that she'd expected a less decent proposal, Denmark let out an incredulous laugh.

"I don't know what your impression of me is, but I'm really no Don Juan." Though his attraction might have been more physical than romantic, there was a proper way of doing things, and Denmark was loathe to show a woman any disrespect. He would never marry her, of course, but Carmen would never marry him either. And whatever came of their association, it would be better than being alone.

He held his ground as she examined him. He wasn't at his best tonight--a bit rumpled at the edges--but only in comparison to his customary crispness. At her acceptance, he broke into a momentary grin. "Excellent. I'm afraid you'll find me a bit boring, but I can at least make sure the food will be good. What do you like?"

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 pm GMT 

"What can I say, not many men want to buy me dinner first," Carmen replied dryly. "Especially not when they have just told me they are pining for someone and they have had a bit to drink."

She shrugged again at the question what she would like. Few things could beat homemade food in her mind, and ever since arriving in America they had mostly eaten in diners which had not nurtured a kind attitude to American cuisine.

"French food is always nice," she said sweetly. "But why don't you show me your favourite place? I would like to know more about you, Denmark Jones. A prim and proper gentleman selling alcohol in his past time and asking women to 'have dinner' with him while standing around in a dark alley... I think you are quite fascinating already."

Egad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:17 pm GMT 

"That's a shame," said Denmark. And it was. Even a woman who scorned the usual mores deserved respect. This thought triggered a twinge of guilt, and he shot her a sheepish glance. "As for my comment on your...exquisiteness...I hope I didn't offend. My tongue is a bit loose tonight."

Since leaving New York, Denmark had almost stopped drinking. In his occasional lapses since, he'd found that his tolerance wasn't what it used to be. He was still feeling the pleasant warmth of the liquor; he was quicker to smile and less anxious about maintaining his poise.

"Really?" At the mention of the dark alley, he surveyed their surroundings as if mildly surprised. Far more surprising was her expression of interest. "I am delighted to hear that. And just so you know, I, uh, do think you're exquisite, but having someone to talk to is quite enough."

In this sentiment, he seemed quite genuine. An affair would be nice, of course, but Denmark had been stewing in loneliness for a very long time. Any form of companionship assuaged the ache.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:10 am GMT 

"Alcohol tends to do that to you, non?" Carmen watched him as though still expecting that he would do something, that something still slightly obscure even to herself. It has been too long since you met someone decent, she told herself, allowing a smile at his seeming truly pleased at her being willing to come along to dinner. If he was being truthful, and the signs seemed to point that way, he was indeed at least partially the gentleman that he was trying to make himself out to be.

If someone was a gentleman or not was not Carmen's foremost concern most of the time. Being actually decent was preferrable over shallow politeness, and honesty could weigh up many a character flaw. Just like Carmen and her brother liked people who didn't beat about the bush they appreciated those who were upfront, which meant she was as likely to allow ungentlemanly or clumsy approaches a as she was likely to accept being wined and dined; provided she decided that the sentiment was genuine enough and there was a certain measure of respect in it. There was no recipe to get on her good side however, sometimes she wanted a challenge, sometimes she wanted to provoke and sometimes she just wanted to have some fun. Sometimes she just plain didn't feel like being accomodating.

"My English is not terrible, so I think I could provide some... conversation," she agreed, then added, with a raised eyebrow that clearly proved she was trying to make him get to that Something she had expected he would do:

"I do not know at what hour you like to eat dinner, but personally I eat when I am hungry. And I have not had anything to eat since lunch. So..."

Egad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 am GMT 

Denmark, unaccustomed to and not expecting innuendo, failed to pick up on her arched brow. When she trailed off, it sank in that Carmen wanted dinner now. Tonight. With him?

"Oh. Well--I had... I was about to..." His first impulse was to panic and back out--he wasn't properly dressed, he wasn't prepared, he wasn't sober. The sensible thing would be to pick an evening later that week and organize the whole thing. As soon as the thought crossed his mind, however, he realized it was now or never.

Denmark recovered from his ill-concealed surprise and cleared his throat, his cool regained. "But why not? If you're hungry now, we ought to get you fed." He glanced at his pocket watch. It was almost ten o'clock. "I'm afraid 'now' is a bit late to eat out. I could scrounge up something at my flat, though, if you like. If I don't sound too forward."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 pm GMT 

Watching him flounder at her suggestion Carmen thought that he looked a little bit like one of those figurative deer in the headlights. Clearly he hadn't meant for this to happen tonight, and that was actually a point in his favour since it made it seem a bit more likely that he indeed just wanted company. If he had wanted something else he would have asked her out that night most likely, so Carmen felt a little bit more confidence for Denmark as the minutes continued to tick away.

"I would hate to be an... unposition? I never get that right... Oh well. If you are one of those rare men who can cook I would not mind that," she agreed, pushing off the wall. "But I need to tell my brother I am leaving, and I need my coat first, so I will be right back."

Turning around with a last smile sent Denmark's way she headed inside again. Even if this turned out in to what she had first expected it to, she figured it wasn't too bad. Tonight she was game for a good time, but there was another hurdle that Denmark would have to pass if that had been his intention. It wasn't just her looks that tended to make people proposition her for all sorts of things, but her rather liberated view on most things in life also played in. Instead of labelling her as a 'free spirit' or something else that was a little bit more flattering, both men and women would simply call her promiscuous and easy. People were strangely attracted to easy prey, and that in turn made Carmen passionately repelled by those who considered her thus.

The exchange with Don was brief and the coat swiftly retrieved so Carmen was only gone a few minutes before she returned to the alley, shrugging her coat on at the same time as she nudged the door shut with her shoe again.

"There we go, monsieur."

Egad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:22 am GMT 

That last fetching smile left him briefly pleased. A second later, however, he started to wonder if she would come back at all. For all he knew, he was bumbling around like a dog whose master has just pretended to throw a ball. These fears might seem unfounded, but Denmark had been stood up by a lady before. By several ladies, in fact.

He was just beginning to get restless when the door opened again. Light spilled into the alley and Carmen bustled out, as stunning as he remembered. Denmark flashed her a smile bright with relief and began to lead the way. He'd come by foot; the speak was the one he knew most convenient to his flat.

"I cannot promise you any gourmet cuisine, exactly," said Denmark, in reference to her comment on cooking men a few minutes before. "But you would never have caught my, ah, former fiancee in a kitchen. I used to make dinner for two every night."

The walk to his flat was no more than ten minutes, though it took them in a decidedly ritzier direction. They passed by a few other apartment complexes before Denmark came to a stop. His building was entirely of the decade, with a slick-floored lobby, vaguely floral glass lamps, and fashionable paneling on the ceiling and walls. He ushered her inside and over to the carpeted stairs, passing by the elevator's unmanned iron grille. The elevator operator, it seemed, had headed home for the night.

"I'm only on the second floor," he said, almost apologetically.

The building smelled of wealth, yet seemed to avoid excessive ostentation. Denmark's flat, with its matching furniture, strict absence of knickknacks, and alphabetized bookshelves, reflected an even simpler taste. Most curious, perhaps, was the total lack of memorabilia--no portraits, no photographs, no war medals. Just a couple of tasteful impressionist prints on the walls. As he invited her in, Denmark cringed inwardly. His affluence still embarrassed him, as did the remarkably unrevealing decorations he'd chosen to furnish his new life.

Still, he hung her coat and his hat on the rack, hurried to put the water on for tea, and returned with a hesitant smile on his face. "Please, make yourself at home."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 am GMT 

Carmen followed along without a fuss, easily keeping even steps with Denmark as her high heels clicked and clacked against the pavement. "So she has been promoted to fiancée, hm? I thought that she was only a girlfriend," she noted at the mention of the woman whose memory had driven Denmark to drink this night. It wasn't what someone would bring up when trying to seduce someone, typically.

Something else that Carmen had not expected was the surprisingly nice apartment building. It wasn't as though she could ever have imagined Denmark in a shabby building, but this was a bit more posh than she had thought it would be. Upon entering the apartment she was struck by how much it made her think of a hotel room however; she couldn't put her finger on what it was at first, but the absence of things that added that personal touch to a space, that in a way made it a home rather than a place to live, made her feel strangely ill at ease.

Perhaps it was not in keeping with the rather formal air of the place, but she still removed her shoes to be able to relax her feet some as she moved past him at the invitation to make herself at home, setting her sights on the sitting room.

"Your home is as formal as you are," she informed him, speaking over her shoulder as she walked past the well-organized bookshelves, running her fingers over the even spines. Glancing over to him she paused, tossing her hair over her shoulder with a slight smile.

"So, Mr. Jones, how come you happened to feel like treating me to dinner?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next