THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Ahoy!
 Post subject: Re: Hear Me Out (Dvorak)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
A part of Fritz wanted nothing more than to crawl into a hole. His stomach was twisted with anger and fear, his throat tight with remorse. He felt assaulted, harassed in his own home. In that moment, the only thing he wanted from Darla was for her to go away and leave him alone.

But then again, he'd never listened to his good sense when it came to backing down from a fight.

"Oh please," he snapped. He hadn't bothered to rise to his feet, not just yet, but his head was now tilted up at a haughty angle, his face turned away from her. Then again, she wouldn't need to see his face. His tone of voice said it all.

"Don't act as though you've sleuthed out some sordid truth. This isn't one of your stories. I never hid a damn thing from you, and you married me anyway. You don't get to decide to have qualms about it now."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
The words and tone only angered her further, however, and she turned, grabbing one of the tea cups and hurling it at the wall a few feet from Fritz. "Ah kin 'ave all th'qualms Ah want if yer still fuckin' 'im behind m'back!"

Her eyes were narrowed and fixed to Fritz, her gaze nailed there as she tried to catch even the slightest sign of guilt, that her words were true. As of yet, she had no proof, only a writhing in her gut that tasted of paranoid jealousy - and hurt. The thought that the kids weren't enough for him, that she wasn't, hurt more than sure wanted to admit. It was made all the worse by the knowledge that if it were true, then it wasn't just her husband that was betraying her, but her own brother.

She swallowed then drawing in a shaking breath. "Dohn'. . .dohn' lie t'me."

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 pm GMT 

He threw up an arm to shield his face as the teacup shattered. When he dropped it, his face was fixed in a cold mask and his eyes were fixed on Darla.

"I have never lied to you." His voice was flat now, controlled. Impossible to tell whether he was more or less angry than when he'd been shouting. He rose to his feet and took a step towards her. As he did, his expression softened. "Darla... I love you. Not your brother, not anyone else in the world. Just you and the children."

He reached out tentatively to take her hand. "I'm sorry you're upset. It's been a long day. Let's have something to eat--I'll clean up the mess--and we can talk about your book when we're both calmed down."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm GMT 

The words didn’t entirely appease Darla and she was tense when Fritz too her hand. She wasn’t sure she wanted to calm yet, wasn’t sure she trusted the words. She drew in a deep breath, closing her eyes, savoring the anger for a moment before packing it away, storing it for later.

“Fine,”she murmured tightly with a brief nod. “Dinnah was nearly ready – on th’oven.”

His hand was calloused, familiar – suddenly she wondered just how many times they had touched her brother, held him tight in passion. . .

Darla drew away and disappeared into the livingroom.

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 am GMT 

Only the empty kitchen bore witness to his indecision. Within him were warring tides of most imaginable emotions. He wasn't sure what, precisely, it was that he felt--only that he felt it, and it was tearing around inside him with the force of a hurricane. And if he didn't move soon, it would tear him apart.

Lurching into motion, he abandoned the wreckage of dinner and sprang after Darla into the living room. She only had a few seconds' head start on him. Coming up behind her, he caught her shoulder in a firm grip, though this immediately softened as he let his hand slip down her arm. He tried to lace his fingers through hers.

"Darla." There was a new quality in his tone. Soft though it was, his voice held an urgency that bordered on desperation. He was close, and as he spoke, his mouth brushed against her hair. "I can be enough for you. Please, just give me a chance."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:36 pm GMT 

The touch stopped her and her jaw tensed at the words, lips pursing. Already her frustrated anger was bubbling under the surface again; he just didn’t understand. Again, it was all about him, as though he was the only thing in her life. She didn’t turn and her voice was quiet when she spoke.

“This ain’t about you being enough ‘er nah.” Somehow she managed to keep her voice controlled. “It’s sumthin’ I. . .jus’ gotta do.”

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 am GMT 

"Darla," he said again. This time his voice was lower, more insistent.

It seemed as though he were about to go on, to say something else. Instead he slipped his arms around her waist and drew close. He could feel her anger still; it made her spine stiff, and her body rigid, unyielding. But rather than retreat, he pressed closer against her back, resting his cheek against her hair, hoping to feel that tension slip away.

"I miss you," he said at last, his words a warm murmur against her hair.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:42 pm GMT 

She swallowed at that, wavering for a moment. He missed her? She missed the thrill - the life she'd had before. She missed the romance, the laughter and feeling of balancing over a precipice - she even missed the pain. Lately it felt as though everything was hollow, like something was missing. It wasn't as though she didn't love Fritz, or the children. It wasn't about them but he couldn't seem to understand that. She wanted to feel smooth skin, softness - the feel of a sister but closer. She sank back against him, tired but still feeling some anger that flickered in her like a candle.

"I. . .miss sum'thin'," she murmured, unsure how else to respond, how to put into words what she missed. "An' Ah love you, that ain't changed."

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 pm GMT 

He fell silent then, for what seemed like an awfully long time. He could still feel that anger in her, that sliver of resistance. Despite everything he'd said and done, that small realization was enough to hurt him, and it cut deep. In that moment, it was utterly clear to him that the only thing he wanted was her.

...perhaps because, as the cynical voice in his head was whispering, right now she was the one thing he couldn't have.

"Forget dinner," he said after a minute or two had slipped past. His arms, which had encircled her, fell away. Instead he steered her over to the couch. "Wait here for me. Okay? Just five minutes. Promise me you'll wait."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:47 pm GMT 

She frowned at that, allowing herself to be steered for the moment, sitting down and watching him as he retreated. She wasn't sure she felt up to waiting for whatever thing he had suddenly come up with, but honestly she was too tired to argue further and merely nodded, leaning back and folding her hands in her lap to wait. A woman's place, she'd started to learn, was always to wait dutifully for their husband. Her hands clenched slightly.

"I'll wait," he murmured finally, shifting a bit as she sat up straighter and smoothed out her clothes. She might as well look the part.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:04 pm GMT 

As he deposited his wife on the couch, Fritz flashed her one of those grins she'd scarcely seen since the early days of their courtship, such as it was. It was the sort of cheeky grin which usually had meant he was either about to say or do something mildly outrageous... potentially charming, but certainly far from reassuring. Then he slipped away into the kitchen and disappeared from view. Darla would hear him rummaging around, the familiar racket occasionally interrupted by a louder clattering-type noise. This was usually followed by the sound of Fritz swearing in Czech.

Fritz's sense of time could be described as 'flexible,' were one feeling generous. In any case, this was a very long five minutes. It would be closer to the ten-minute mark by the time he stuck his head back into the living room.

"Darilka, miláčku!" Ordinarily, the Czech pet names only came out when he was feeling particularly affectionate--or when he suspected Darla was displeased with him, and was hoping to avoid her wrath. "Still there? Good, excellent. Now close your eyes and don't look 'til I say."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 pm GMT 

Darla frowned at the clattering, looking toward the kitchen with a sense of mild foreboding that was slowly taking the place of the anger she'd felt. The fleeting thought that she might soon have to clean another of his messes passed through her mind and she sighed. But that grin. . .it she couldn't quite remember the last time she'd seen it. Certainly long before the twins. Before the pregnancy even, perhaps. The though twisted something inside her chest and she closed her eyes to wait out the rest of the abnormally long "five minutes".

The pet names had her quirking her brow, leaning back a bit on the couch as she tried to decide which reason he was using them for this time. More likely the latter than the former - he hadn't seemed terribly affectionate as of late, and given their previous conversation and her own waning anger. . . It was certainly the safer bet.

"Fine," she sighed, though she did as he requested and closed her eyes, having already given up trying to guess at what her husband was planning.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:07 am GMT 

The muted rustle of fabric announced his passage into the room. Darla would hear his footsteps pattering from one side of the room to the other, along with little clicks and clacks like he was moving objects, shuffling things around. If she had a good nose, she might have caught the faintest hint of beeswax, though she wouldn't have time to wonder about it. An instant later the room around her would go dark as the overhead light was turned off.

"Now look." And in the same moment that he spoke, Fritz lowered the phonograph needle onto the record, and music crackled to life.

When Darla opened her eyes, she would see the biggest change immediately. Flickering candles were arrayed across the top of the shelves and along the side table, where their glow reflected in the mirror. He'd hauled the coffee table over to one wall, clearing the center of the room; it held two glasses and a bottle of red wine.

He was still smiling, but the manic flash of his grin had faded into something softer. "Wine or dance, which first? Ladies' choice," he said, and held out a hand to his wife.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:12 pm GMT 

She hadn't expected much when she opened her eyes and her surprise showed on her face plainly. A hand to her mouth as she took in the candles, the wine, before turning to look at her husband with something nearing astonishment. That Fritz had done all this, had bothered to go through the trouble of setting up such an elaborate show of romance - it was touching, though it didn't completely quell her anger. She swallowed.

Carefully, hesitantly, she reached out for his hand, getting to her feet and drifting close to him, looking up and searching those green eyes. She couldn't see any lies, this time - only that soft look, the one she remembered from before. The one that she had come to love so dearly. She forced a soft smile of her own.

"A dance, then. . .wine," she murmured, resting her head against his shoulder. They would speak later, after the wine.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 pm GMT 

The gentle weight of her head against his shoulder hit him hard. He'd given his sacred word to love and cherish her, and had instead fucked her brother. Repeatedly. He was not proud of that, and had the clarity to recognize himself for the miserable, shiftless trash he was. Still, he'd been much closer to rock-bottom than this. Self-pity was a drug to which he'd developed a high tolerance.

He slipped an arm around her waist and eased the fingers of his other hand through hers. His fingers were long and pale; hers were slender and delicate-looking, their strength masked by grace. A musician's hands, though he could not recall when last he'd heard her play. He drew her closer, shifting his weight in a slow, easy beat that kept time with the music. He bowed his head and rested one cheek against her hair; turning his face a few degrees downward, he breathed in her familiar scent: clean, like soap, with a vaguely floral undertone that made him think of his childhood in Prague. Like roses, or perhaps lavender. Like freshly laundered sheets and the smell of sunlight.

"Darilka," he breathed, the word easing past his lips as something almost like a warm sigh. He wished there was something he could talk about then, some memory he could mention that would bring them closer in this moment. To his alarm and dismay, he could not think of a single fond memory that did not involve Danny--either through his direct involvement, or as a peripheral presence whose shadow fell over the proceedings. And so, he merely repeated her name.