THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

is a spider-child
 Post subject: Up And Running (dvorak)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 pm GMT 

Custom Title: is a spider-child
Sitting on a suitcase, legs outstretched before him and his back resting against the wall of a building down at the docks, the young man looked like nothing much out of the ordinary. His dark hair was combed, perhaps a bit distractedly but not so that you'd notice in a distance, and the clothes were clean, though there were the occasional wrinkle which had been overlooked. If you didn't know Acel Graham, you could think that he was just the same as he'd ever been.

And even if you did know him, you would probably not be able to guess that he was sitting on a suitcase of memories and troubles.

It had been three days since he'd seen Jean off under dramatic circumstances. It had been two days since Acel broke the promise of staying clean, cracking beneath the pressure and the grief. It had been one day since his mind became preoccupied with the memory of something else.

He'd had to pack in a hurry, at the same time as stopping a nosebleed, as he prepared for his and Casey's vacation. It made it easier to forget the sadness of letting Jean go, but it hurt to know that he would have to lie further when asked how he was. But, with Casey near, the young man hoped that there would be no need for it. And the confession he had promised to make... it would wait. At least until they were home again.

So, it was a slightly anxious, a slightly excited Acel who were waiting for his lover to arrive.

(Augh, so short, so horrible. I shall do better later!)

Ahoy!
 Post subject: Re: Up And Running (dvorak)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:18 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
The car was new.

It felt like ages since he'd owned a car, though perhaps it had only seemed longer because he'd been wearing a cast most of the time. He'd had to drive everywhere when he was out West, because everything there was farther apart. Even in the city, owning a car could save you a hell of a lot of time. Streetcars didn't know how to break speed limits when you were in a hurry. His last car had wound up riddled with too many bullets to be salvageable, and while his leg was broken, he'd simply taken cabs to spare himself the hassle.

This car was a Whippet Roadster, a new model which had come out within the year. It wasn't exactly luxurious, but it was certainly nice enough. It was well polished, and painted a shade of dark green, one which Casey didn't particularly care for, but was too lazy to change or otherwise do anything about. And besides, once you were sitting behind the wheel with the roof down on a pleasant, sunny day, it was easy to forget what color the car was on the outside anyway.

He turned a corner onto a particular street, and once there it took him only a moment to spot Acel. He pulled the car up alongside the curb where Acel sat, and greeted him with a lazy wave as he turned off the engine. Perhaps in honor of the occasion--the occasion being a vacation--he was dressed rather less formally than usual. Today he wore neither hat nor tie nor suit, for that matter. Instead, he was dressed in neatly pressed gray trousers and a dark blue-gray sweater beneath his coat, which he hadn't bothered to button. His collar was unbuttoned at the top, and as he opened his car door and stepped out, he pushed his usual sunglasses up to rest atop his head.

"Mornin', kid. Ready to hit the road?"

It might have taken Acel a moment to register the fact that Casey was, in fact, standing--and that his crutches were nowhere in sight.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 pm GMT 

Acel cracked an eye open, at first not having reacted to the car stopping. He looked at what was before him for a moment before realizing it had to do with him, and both of his eyes opened instantly as he lifted his head from the wall.

He had never seen the other man without crutches, and it felt strange now that he thought about it. It was a whole new man standing by that car now. Strange, what a pair of crutches and a cast could do to someone, especially when it was taken away. Casey looked.... well. Younger. Stronger. The second to last could perhaps be attested to the casual clothing, but Acel believed it was something else. His face broke in to a bright smile as he rose to his feet, arms stretching out. At that precise moment, he did not think that it would be hard to hide his troubles.

"He walks!" he chimed, hurrying forward to catch the lawyer in his arms. "OH my God! You look wonderful Casey, it... Absolutely splendid!" Letting go, he stepped back to hold the older man on arm's length to look at him again. "Yes, I'm ready, I.... I hope I didn't forget anything."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 am GMT 

Instantly, a broad grin split across Casey's face as he clapped Acel on the shoulder. The lack of crutches and cast did indeed have a shocking impact on his overall appearance. They had always made him seem weaker, dependent, as though he couldn't quite fend for himself. Now that they were gone, there was no mistaking him for a confident, capable adult who appeared, for the first time since Acel had known him, to be wholly in charge of his own life.

"Great, isn't it?" he replied, still beaming as he referred to the absent crutches. "I'm still gonna be limpin' around 'til the muscles in my leg are strengthened up again. But hey, at least I'm limpin' unassisted now, right?"

He gave the younger man a fond pat on the shoulder, then glanced past him to where his suitcase rested on the pavement. "Is that everything? Toss it in back of the car and hop in. If we get up there and ya realize there's somethin' ya need, we can always go into town and buy whatever it is."

Casey lowered his sunglasses to rest on his nose once again, and turned to get back into the car. Sure enough, he did walk with a slight limp. Otherwise, he would have offered to load Acel's suitcase for him. Actually. . . no, in all honesty, he wouldn't have. He was too lazy, and besides, he figured that if Acel spent all day loading crates anyway, picking up one more suitcase wouldn't do him in.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:51 am GMT 

"Wonderful, that means I don't have to carry you anymore. That was a hassle." Acel remarked off-handedly but with a glint in his eyes before he glanced back to his suitcase.

"This, is my entire wardrobe, than you very much." the young man huffed while fetching the bag. That was not entirely true of course, but it was what he found to be of any value in his wardrobe. "So I shan't be lacking in clothes!"

While it was clearly evident that he by now was quite used to loading suitcases and trunks and alike, it was also quite clear that the young man had not gained the build of someone doing it on a regular basis, though he was supposed to be. So it wasn't with any expertise or ease the the suitcase was loaded, before the young man slid in to the front seat.

"Is this your car?" he then asked, that young curiosity never far away when he started to examine the roadster. He was a mechanic's son, there was no denying that and he had spent enough time in cars to be able to tell a good from a bad one. At least in terms of aesthetics and age, and he could tell the this one was not a flivver. "I didn't know you had one." he added.

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 am GMT 

"I do now," Casey replied smugly, starting the engine. "Bought it new, the model just came out this year. It's officially mine, as of the day before yesterday. Here's hopin' it stays as nice as it is now, 'cause they say new cars lose half their value the minute ya drive 'em off the lot." It had taken him a few hours to get used to the feeling of sitting behind the wheel again, as well as to familiarize himself with the way St. Louis looked from the road. But it was such a relief to have his mobility back, in more than one respect, that he couldn't help but want to celebrate it. And a road trip was the perfect means of doing so.

As he steered them down the roads which would get them headed north and out of the city, he spared a moment, while stopped at a traffic light, to glance sidelong at Acel from behind his sunglasses. "Ya look a little run down, kid," he informed the younger man with his usual unrepentant honesty, though perhaps this time the bluntness was tempered by a hint of sympathy, or concern. Or both. "Relieved to get away from it all for a while?"

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 am GMT 

Talk about cars, or more specifically, hearing someone talk about cars had the inescapable effect of reminding Acel of his father. With others' insistent talk of their age difference, this nostalgia came at a bit of a price as it made the tacked on "kid" bring this difference to mind rather acutely. That was perhaps why the younger man sank down a bit further in his seat, arm coming up drape itself over the seat and offered the rather edged reply of; "Not to your liking, is it?"

But the instant he had spoken, Acel shut his eyes for a moment, feeling the words burn on his tongue. Too acidic for the setting, bad things were meant to be left behind in St. Louis, but it seemed like they were still too close to it all to be out of it's reach. Only days ago, he could never have imagined himself saying anything even vaguely sharp to anyone.

Acting quickly, the young man looked over with a soft smile and a faint wink. Just teasing, no worries.

"I need a break from this city." He maintained the soft, slightly distant mile as he tilted his head back to look in to the sky. "And work. It's not good for my image."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:58 pm GMT 

"I wouldn't know anything about that. Christ, can ya believe I haven't done a damn thing in almost a year?" If Casey had noticed the edge in Acel's voice, he made no sign of it. Instead he just shook his head in mild disbelief. "A whole fuckin' year. I'm surprised I can even remember courtroom procedure." ...Not that he had ever really followed proper courtroom procedure, but hell, you had to know the rules before you could break them, right?

Most of the time, Casey was a good conversationalist only in the sense that he could talk for a very long time, usually about subjects which concerned himself. This time, he didn't even seem to notice how quickly he had turned the conversation away from Acel and back to his own life. It wasn't malicious, or because he didn't care about Acel; it was just a matter of habit to comport himself this way.

"Anyway, stop me if I've told ya this already, but I was thinkin'. . . Well, now that I ain't just limpin' around in crutches anymore, I figured it was about time to go back into practice, ya know? Start takin' cases again. It'd give me somethin' better to do than sit around my house all day reading the Wall Street Journal."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:33 pm GMT 

Whichever way the conversation went, Acel didn't mind as long as it wasn't in his own direction. He was always perfectly fine with talking about others, about other' business and about others' lives. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he found himself rather comfortable in Casey's presence; people pried, couldn't be satisfied with the now and then but wanted to dig out the past and the future. But Casey could, at least superficially, leave Acel be and let him enjoy the times not spent in a stupor and not remind him of them by nagging.

"A year of doing nothing. That sounds great..." the young man murmured distractedly, though knowing he wouldn't switch places with the other man; the target on his back wouldn't be very becoming on his own.

"And you told me, but you never gave me any specifics." he continued, turning his head a little to half-glance at Casey. A smirk came to Acel's lips together with the words; "Not to mention you need money to sustain me."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm GMT 

He snorted, and shifted to rest one arm along the back of the seat. . . not quite around Acel's shoulders, but very close. The road they were on now would lead them straight out of the city and onto the highway that would take them north to their destination. Of course, they still had a long way to go before they arrived, and Casey was hoping to get there before nightfall, hence their early departure.

"A year of doin' nothin' but you, kid," he replied cheerfully. He shifted one hand just far enough to ruffle Acel's hair without once taking his eyes off the road. "But aside from all that. . . it gets tiresome, ya know? Never havin' anythin' new to talk about or think about aside from what ya read in the papers. I can give an opinion on just about anything, but beyond that, ain't as though I got much to talk about, or much to occupy me, seein' as just walkin' down to the corner store took me an hour to get there and back, and then I'd sit in my apartment doin' crossword puzzles and shit. You'd get tired of me pretty damn fast if all I ever did was crossword puzzles."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:53 pm GMT 

"Oh aren't you a romantic!" Acel outright laughed, blissfully missing the reminder that he had been doing more than that.

Listening to Casey explain the monotony of unemployment and injury, Acel realized that he had throughout this time always been able to access the older man. He was always free to meet, and though he had at times been too tired to go out or offer a space in his bed, it had always been related to his leg. It was also true that he had rarely or never started a conversation "oh you wouldn't believe what happened today...".

"Hah! If you'd start asking me for synonyms and metaphors you'd be in the doghouse for sure, old chap." the younger man said, shifting just a fraction at the same time as the words left his mouth. He was silent for a moment, reflecting back to his first train of thought. His hand came to a rest on the seat in between them.

"... Just don't bury yourself in work."

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm GMT 

At that, he merely snorted and rolled his eyes. "Please. I said I was gonna work; I never said I was gonna work hard," he retorted dryly.

Even so, Acel raised a point that he hadn't given much consideration to, not until now in any case. Wearing the cast, and having to drag himself around on crutches, had made him feel very old. Ancient. Decrepit. It was only within the past few days that he'd begun to feel as though he was getting his life back. Hell, provided that no one killed him, he could still live for another twenty years. Thirty, maybe, if he was lucky. And. . . he was a pretty good lawyer. If he kept up his work, taking cases every now and then, he might have another good ten or fifteen years in him. That wasn't so bad, was it?

But twenty years was a long time. Shit, in twenty years Acel would be. . . he'd be almost forty. And Casey couldn't help but feel sure that by that point, Acel would long since have abandoned him, found a nice girl, and started a family. Or something like that. Casey himself was. . . really, not that old. Hell, he could still get married again. He could certainly afford to maintain a small family on his salary.

It was strange to think of. A little too bizarre for this fine morning.

He ruffled Acel's hair again and grinned. "'Sides, it ain't as though I'd be workin' 'round the clock. I'd just be takin' a case or two every now and then. I'd rather take you to bed than an encyclopedia of legal precedents and a copy of the Constitution."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm GMT 

"Ah yes! A true romantic. Comparing me to books." Acel snorted with a lopsided smirk as he reached up to rather clumsily push at the hand that his head made a rather disengaged attempt to duck away from; not at all the passionate protection of his hair that was one of his trademarks.

"I'm glad I am preferred to a book though. I'd say I'm both softer and carry more initiative. Not to mention I could never try to be an encyclopaedia, so don't ask that of me." He finished, but swiftly picked up speaking again, occupying his mind fully. "Now, how long is this drive exactly? Will I have to demand food somewhere along the way?"

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:49 pm GMT 

"Mm. . . maybe nine and a half, ten hours?" he guessed. "Meaning that if we drive nonstop, we oughta get there around 6:30 or 7 PM. Let me guess," he added a moment later, grinning crookedly as he glanced at Acel from behind his sunglasses. "This means we'll be stopping for food."

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 pm GMT 

"... Well, it's that or I'm commandeering the vehicle." Acel replied in a matter of fact tone of voice, and smiled in a manner that was more than satisfied, as though he was pleased with Casey for figuring that out on his own. "There will be mutiny if the company is not fed!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next