THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: Re: Those were the days
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 am GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
Danny groaned, frustrated at the misunderstanding. "Dammit, I didn't say that!" He tried to pull the other man closer, to pin him to the bed. "I nevah said I wanted to ferget, or ev'n stop," he hissed. It made him more angry than it might've otherwise, but to hear Fritz get so snippy about it when he was willing to try this, to fuck around behind Billy's back - on purpose this time. "Jus' fuckin' answer me, all righ'? I ain't whinin', ain't blamin'."

He let out a shaky sigh, lowering his forehead so that it was resting on Fritz's chest. "I jus' wanna know, all righ'? I know. . .I know it ain't gotta hurt 'nyone - m'countin' on that - but I jus' wanna know. What is it 'bout me?"

Because that was what Danny couldn't understand, what baffled him. He only wanted to understand now, to know what would make Fritz risk everything with Darla. It wasn't love, he knew that, but there had to be something.

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:54 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
For a long moment, Fritz didn't answer. He had given up on trying to push Danny away. Now he just flopped back onto the bed, slung an arm across his face and lay there, unmoving. He hated questions like this--usually because, when forced to analyze his motivations, the reasons he found disgusted him.

In his mind, he scrolled through his options.

Because you don't make me feel trapped.

Because you remind me of her.

Because I know what to expect from you.

Because you've done this before.

Ah, that uncomfortable moment of truth. But there it was.

Danny had strayed before. And he'd been discrete with it, secretive, had somehow managed to rationalize what he was doing. And Fritz knew. Danny could lie his way out of trouble to spare Billy's feelings--and he would do the same for his sister.

He sighed, and rubbed his face. "Christ, Danny. I don't know. I wasn't exactly thinking it through. And it sounds sleazy as hell when you talk about planning and hotels, so if you could not do that it'd be great."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm GMT 

There wasn’t really an answer in Fritz’s reply, but Danny let it go with a soft snort. “Sleazy?” he murmured; he leaned back against the wall. “Maybe – but I dohn’ really fancy getting’ caught, an’ it ain’t safe t’meet here.”

As much as he felt he needed this, Danny wasn’t about to be an idiot about it. If that meant sleazy hotels and the rented rooms of speaks, then so be it. He moved to lay down, folding up his long legs and burying his nose in Fritz’s tawny fur. It reminded him of simpler times and the fairly uncomplicated life he’d had before meeting Billy. There’d been no illusion of faithfulness, no pressure to be stable or to keep anyone but himself happy. An old longing twisted in his gut and he pulled Fritz closer.

“Did…I make a mistake?” He didn’t open his eyes as he asked. “Wit Billy?”

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 am GMT 

He puffed out his cheeks and exhaled a long breath. "Hell if I know."

Truth was, he'd avoided Billy as much as possible. The little man made him uncomfortable, the same way he was awkward around nuns. Oh, he knew Billy managed a speak of some kind across town, but he and Fritz came from different worlds. Of that there was no question. There was something gentle in him, almost fragile. He seemed thoughtful, sensitive, kind.

In short, he was unbearable.

Of course, Fritz would have vehemently disagreed with the idea that he and Darla might present a similar conundrum. Darla was nothing like Billy--or at least, nothing like Fritz's loose impression of Billy from the few meetings they'd had. Sure, she seemed timid and sweet, and spoke with an occasional stutter. But she had a fire in her, a danger, an intensity. She was the kind of girl who'd greet her long-lost brother by stabbing him, repeatedly. That was what had attracted him to her in the first place--not just her facade of the shrinking violet in need of protection, but the combination of the two. It was the knowledge that at the heart of her was iron.

A sudden stab of anxiety hit him. Maybe he was the one making a mistake. But it was too late for second-guessing, and anyway, Fritz had never been one to believe that the rules really applied to him.

"Are you better off now than you were? I mean, do you think you made a mistake?

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:32 pm GMT 

Danny shrugged at that. “Some days I am – some I’m nah,” he replied replied into Fritz’s fur. “It ain’t jus’ one ‘er th’othah.”

He looked up, then moved to kiss the man quickly before getting to his feet, the glass crunching slightly beneath his shoes as he meandered to the window and let in the light properly. “C’mon – guess we should get you back ‘ome, hm?”

Something seemed to have changed in Danny now – the tension in his shoulders had lessened and he was relaxed in a way that was more than just due to sexual release. He seemed more like his old self. He grinned back at the other man. "Mind handin' me m'shirt?"

There was a strange sense of freedom now that Danny had resolved not to feel guilt for this. It was going to keep happening, and there was little use for the guilt he'd been drowning in for so long. He was tired of it. This time would be different.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:16 am GMT 

Fritz snorted and lifted the shirt, sniffed it, and raised it to the light, examining it like he was appraising jewelry. He was also careful to keep it out of arm's reach. "That depends. What's it worth to you?"

He missed Danny--the old Danny. That much was for sure. But he also missed himself, the way he'd been back then. He'd been lively then, and a hell of a lot more fun. Since when had he gotten so gloomy and boring and dull? So when he glanced over at Danny with that old familiar grin, it wasn't just because of the kiss, or the joke, or the sudden sense of liberation. He was remembering, for the first time in almost a year, what it was like to be himself.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:46 am GMT 

Danny glared halfheartedly at the display, making a grab for the shirt. "S'worth nah makin' things more suspicious'n they already are, asshole," he said, though there was no anger in his tone, but levity. A gentle reminder that, even without guilt, they should still try not to flaunt it. "E'vn though I know how much ya like th'look'a me 'n all."

That grin - it hadn't been seen properly for weeks, perhaps months, but there it was now. Small crinkles at the corners of his eyes proved it's reality. Perhaps this was the breathing room the man needed. Not to leave Billy, but to have some freedom as well. He had never in his life been content with being tied down and it was doubtless that it would have been the same even had he and Sascha remained in Buenos Aires all those years ago. It was simply not in Danny's nature.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 pm GMT 

He let Danny snatch the shirt out of his hands without making any real effort to keep it away. "Well I was thinking something more along the lines of a monetary sum, but fine, have it your way."

His own shirt was wrinkled and still half-buttoned where he'd dropped it on the floor. He shook it out, just in case it was harboring dust--or spiders--and tugged it on over his head before fixing the buttons. The rest of his clothing wasn't hard to find, although he dressed slowly. His hangover was kicking in hard now. It was far from the worst he'd ever had, but he felt sluggish and dehydrated, tired.

"Think it's safe for me to go downstairs?" he asked, once he was seated on the edge of the mattress, tying his shoes. "Or am I gonna get another frying pan to the face?"

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:45 pm GMT 

Danny snorted. "Yea, should be. It's grocery day, so Pops should be gone fer a good while," he said, opening the door after a stretch. ". . .So what now?" He looked back, quirking his brow. "Ya go home t'yer wife an' I go back t'Billy?"

It was a strange thought, what would come next. Danny wasn't really used to it. The times he had cheated on Billy, it had mainly been single instances, flashes in the dark and then nothing more. This part was new ground, and it was both awkward and, perhaps deep down, slightly thrilling. There was almost a spring in his step as he turned slightly, moving back in to pull Fritz into a hard kiss. "Or shoul' we do somethin' else?"

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 pm GMT 

He returned the kiss without thought or hesitation. His hand gripped the back of Danny's neck. As the latter pulled away to speak, Fritz's hand fell to lie flat against Danny's chest. Leaning into him with a lazy slouch, he tilted his face up towards Danny's and grinned recklessly.

"We could... On the other hand, you could take me to the park and take me out in one of those little rowboats." His fingers curled into the front of Danny's shirt, twisting against the fabric. Strangely enough it was this, most of all, that he'd missed since his marriage. Flirting was something he did naturally, even unintentionally at times. But he couldn't remember the last time he'd charmed someone into pampering him--which was a shame, since he did it so well. In his relationship with Darla, he'd bound himself into a very traditional, very Old World idea of what a husband should be: provider, breadwinner, strong and firm and emotionally inaccessible, responsible for his family's well-being... in short, everything Fritz was not.

"You'd have to row. I'm hungover. I'll lounge in the bow and eat grapes."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:40 pm GMT 

Danny snorted at the thought, rolling his eyes. "Fuck that," he said with a snicker. "How 'bout we go shoot somethin' instead. Always did wondah which of us was th'bettah shot." That grin was back in a flash and he laughed, reaching down to pull Fritz to his feet now that their shoes were on. "C'mon."

Now, of course, the logistics of a hangover and the sound of gunshots and how they generally don't mix had somewhat escaped the other man. He dragged Fritz down the hall, down the stairs, towards the back pier where Lin had set up targets on buoys several feet off the dock that could be pulled in with a chain and reset. Once they were on the pier, Danny released Fritz and went to do exactly that after ditching his jacket and rolling up his sleeves. He pulled up the chain and began to drag them in against the current, grunting softly.

"Hey, hand me one'a those boards," he called over his shoulder, nodding towards a stack of thin boards with targets drawn on them as he unclipped the used one.

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 pm GMT 

"That sounds suspiciously like work," he griped. Still, he did as Danny asked and shuffled over to retrieve the top board in the stack. In the process, he nearly stuck his finger straight through a spiderweb and snatched his hand away, hissing a curse or two from between clenched teeth.

Ordinarily, Fritz didn't mind spiders. He just didn't like having any kind of personal contact with them, or finding them in unexpected places. He preferred to just let them go about their business, as he'd rather have spiders in the house than mosquitoes or flies. On occasion, though, he'd been called upon to trap one under a cup and throw it out of the house--for Darla's sake.

He dragged the board back over to where Danny sat. "Still not too late for the little rowboat."

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 pm GMT 

He rolled his eyes at that, tossing the old board into a pile of old crates before taking the new one that Fritz had retrieved and clipping it up. He finished the rest, and started to pulled the second chain to move them back out into the water. "Hell, dohn' you wanna see which'a us is bettah?" He flashed another grin, straightening once they were back out on the water.

The sun was shining on the pier and Danny stretched into it, purring softly. It was good to be out, in the sun, and he seemed energized finally. He pulled his Ruger from it's holster and checked it over, spinning it on his finger for a moment, before holding it out to Fritz. "Well?"

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:27 am GMT 

He scoffed and waved a hand as though brushing Danny away. In truth, he was feeling hungover, headachey and vaguely nauseous. He'd had significantly more to drink than Danny had the night before, had been drinking for a good hour, hour and a half before Danny even arrived. He could just barely remember the way Danny had confronted him about not wearing his ring. The truth was, he hadn't explicitly gone out looking to cheat, but he wouldn't exactly have turned down anyone--man or woman--who'd thrown themselves into his path. It had just so happened to be Danny who'd filled that role.

"No, I--look, you know damn well I can't compete," he replied, feeling suddenly and inexplicably petulant. "I've been out of the game nearly two years now, and I'm hung over besides. If you really, truly would like to see me embarrass myself, say the word. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to play an enthused audience and congratulate you on your personal success."

In spite of his protest, he drew closer. Coming up behind Danny, Fritz pressed himself to his back. He slipped one hand into Danny's front pocket, using the other man's hip for leverage. His other hand slid down Danny's arm to ease the gun out of his fingers, though Fritz didn't fire it just yet.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 am GMT 

(oh hey, i live)

The touch took Danny's breath away, not that he would admit it for anything and he relaxed back slightly into Fritz's warmth. As Fritz had missed the little flirtations of single life, Danny had missed the casual touches, the raw passion, and the uncomplicated nature. He'd never done terribly well wrapped up in responsibility and stability - something he had almost unintentionally brought upon himself with his relationship with Billy. With the small man, there was always that feeling of duty - to protect, to please, to be stable and predictable where it counted.

Like Fritz, these were things he'd never been.

He wetted his lips. "Mm. . .I got faith in ya, darlin'," he said lightly, shifting slightly from one foot to the other, almost teasingly, letting Fritz have the gun. "I ain't 'xactly been much in the game th'last year m'self."

The thrill only grew. Out in the open as they now were, these touches were dangerous. It anyone were to see. . . He only let the thought penetrate slightly, enough to fuel the thrum in his gut but not enough to twist it with shame and worry - it was a razor's edge and intoxicating. He had the brief thought of throwing Fritz down then and there but restrained it, too curious to see what the man would do.

— Carl Sandburg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10