THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pure mediocrity since 1998.
 Post subject: Hardcover or paperback?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:40 am GMT 

Custom Title: Pure mediocrity since 1998.
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I only buy paperbacks. I don't know why, but I just like them more. If I ever bought a hardcover, the thought of putting it with my paperbacks make my skin crawl.

The problem is that whenever a special edition or something like that comes out, a paperback version seems so damn difficult to find!

What about you, forum? Which do you prefer?

Proud Hufflepuff
 Post subject: Re: Hardcover or paperback?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
I honestly am fine with either. As long as I have a physical book in my hands, I'm a happy camper. Though I do have the little quirk that whatever I start a book set in, I have to have the whole set that way. Either a set from a series is all paperback or all hardback. If they're mixed, it bugs me to no end. It's why I still haven't gotten the last book in Peculiar Children because it isn't out on paperback yet.

So, I love both hardback and paperback. As long as the whole set of the series is in the same form, I'm perfectly happy.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: Re: Hardcover or paperback?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:09 am GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
I'm pretty much the same as Kris. Both have their charms - my one exception to the "no mixed series" rule is if the books are either hard to get, or used. I have two series, I think, that are mixed - Bruce Coville's The Unicorn Chronicles (1 & 2 are in paperback by Scholastic, the third is hardback), and I have two German copies of Harry Potter (book 1 in paperback and book 5 in hardback).

Coville's is that way because his books are hard to find now, and book 4 is nearly impossible without paying an arm and a leg. The German Harry Potter books were more of a. . ."found" sort. Friend sent me book 1, and then years later I stumbled upon book 5 in a Finnish bookstore.

My favorite kinds of books, though, are leather-bounds. <3 (Everyday at work I eye those - I want every single one. Halp.)

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!