THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Woop Woop
 Post subject: Studying Abroad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Woop Woop
Why hello there my lackadasian friends, how have you beeeen? Wonderful I hope!

Well, as the thread's topic suggest, this guy here was offered an opportunity to study abroad during the summer to improve my english skills, since some of you may know, I don't live in a english-speaker country.
Aaand since I want to improve my english, I have to pick between England, America or Canada, but I'm completly clueless about wich one should I choose. Most of my teachers recommended London since I study in a british english school but I'd like to her you guys opinion too!

You know, if you live in London (or somewhere else in England) what feels like living in the land of the queen, oh and if you ever studied abroad, is there something a shouldn't do? For example picking a room if roomates and stuff like that.

Listen to the voices in your brain!
"

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: Studying Abroad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:32 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
I'm an Englishman, & have spent a good lot of time in London (quite often stay with family friend there, brother works there, & I went to Uni just near there).

I'll tell you aaaaaall about it, just as soon as I finish my tea & yorkshire puddings, and pick up my top-hat from the dry-cleaner's.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
Heavily depends on WHICH part of the US you'd be going to, for one. There's about 5-6 distinct parts of the country. I only really have experience in Finland (not good for English skills) and the Midwest.

The Midwest can be decently homey, depending. Brazil, right? <.< Not gonna lie, we're. . .a Republican area, so you might run into some assholes, but generally I don't think people would be unwelcoming on the whole.

(I'll be more thorough when I'm not gaming, so...later/tomorrow.)

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Woop Woop
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 pm GMT 

Silvanus wrote:
I'm an Englishman, & have spent a good lot of time in London (quite often stay with family friend there, brother works there, & I went to Uni just near there).

I'll tell you aaaaaall about it, just as soon as I finish my tea & yorkshire puddings, and pick up my top-hat from the dry-cleaner's.

Well, I still need to dance samba today so, It's k, take your time. teheeee

Hecate wrote:
Heavily depends on WHICH part of the US you'd be going to, for one. There's about 5-6 distinct parts of the country. I only really have experience in Finland (not good for English skills) and the Midwest.

The Midwest can be decently homey, depending. Brazil, right? <.< Not gonna lie, we're. . .a Republican area, so you might run into some assholes, but generally I don't think people would be unwelcoming on the whole.

Yeah, right on the spot.
Well a friend of mine went to the US and unfortunately his experience wasn't the best, but if I choose America I'd probably go to San Francisco or Cali, but I'm not so sure about that since yurupe seems to be so neat I mean, taking a train to another country, how cool is that?

"

Go to my DA page.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:23 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Go to my DA page.
Lackadaisian..... United States of Lackadaisia!

The insane make great friends
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The insane make great friends
San Francisco born and currently living right here! To be honest, the bay area is absolutely beautiful. Its a wonderful climate. I recommend living outside the city. The city is pretty small, and extremely overpriced. To be honest, everything is much, much more expensive in the bay area than anywhere else in the country. (except Alaska. Some parts a gallon of milk costs 8$). Plus, the city is like 20 degrees colder than the rest of the bay area. People are very liberal and mostly democrats, though I'm not sure what liberal means to someone in your country political wise.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 pm GMT 

Insanity Embrace wrote:
Hecate wrote:

Yeah, right on the spot.
Well a friend of mine went to the US and unfortunately his experience wasn't the best [...].

Yeaaaa. . . I really hate to say it, but if you look. . .well, Mexican. . . or speak with an accent, you might get some really ignorant assholes. As much as there are many things to like about the Midwest, the small-mindedness is not one. :\ I apologize to your friend on the behalf of my sometimes small-minded and idiotic countrymen. Where'd he go, btw?

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Woop Woop
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 pm GMT 

@Rybird
Oh, neat! The main reason I'd choose San Francisco is because my cousin lives in there, so I could save a little by sharing rent with him.
I belive most people here simpatize with the democrats...I think? Not really sure tho, perhaps Linnah might be able to answer that correctly.

@Hecate
I completly understand, you'll find jerks no matter where you go. Hmmm if I recall correctly he was living in Indiana, and his main "issue" was that the family he stayed with (it was a sort of exchange program) wasn't very receptive. In another hand tho, the friendships he made during highschool were life-time friendships.

"

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm GMT 

*wince* I live in Southern Indiana, so. . .yeaaa. . . :\ I apologize for my fellow Hooshiers.

Yea, you just have to keep that in mind. It's not "just Americans" that think like that. I got someone in Finland snap at me for not knowing Finnish, so. . .

— Carl Sandburg

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:32 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
Honestly, it depends on what you like. California is a beautiful state, and also significantly more multicultural and just generally a nicer place than Indiana (sorry, Hoosiers). There are some interesting cities, but also a lot of really striking natural areas, and it's a region with some really rich history. I have heard some people say that it's hard to make friends in the US if you're not meeting them through school or something... but if your cousin already knows some people in the area, that might be a great place to start (another good way to meet people is by joining some sort of club or volunteer organization that interests you). There are also a lot of very fun, awesome, weird, generous people in this country.

I only really know western Canada, but the Vancouver BC area is very cool, and Canadian people in general are notorious for being very polite. Again, many parts of Canada are extremely beautiful and (I think it's safe to say) very different from Brazil. You're less likely to run into prejudice against Latin American people... but you're also less likely to meet other Latin American people. According to wikipedia, the largest non-European ethnic groups in Canada are Chinese, Native American/First Nations, and Indian, in that order. Plus, Canada's shared history with the UK adds a slightly British touch, regarding what foods are available, tea drinking, etc.

But Europe also has a lot to offer. I've never lived there, only traveled, and it's fairly expensive, even by train. Still, my impression has been generally that there's a lot of rich history, art, architecture, and culture to soak in, especially if you have time to do some traveling. The food in England might take some getting used to...

Oh, and re: politics... what the U.S. considers "liberal" is generally thought of as perhaps vaguely left-leaning centrist (at least here in Argentina).

The insane make great friends
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:13 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The insane make great friends
i_heart_dvorak wrote:
Honestly, it depends on what you like. California is a beautiful state, and also significantly more multicultural and just generally a nicer place than Indiana (sorry, Hoosiers). There are some interesting cities, but also a lot of really striking natural areas, and it's a region with some really rich history. I have heard some people say that it's hard to make friends in the US if you're not meeting them through school or something... but if your cousin already knows some people in the area, that might be a great place to start (another good way to meet people is by joining some sort of club or volunteer organization that interests you).

Could not have put it better myself. And half of my friends I know from my Venture Crew service group, so good advice there.
I'd still stay away from LA though. Place scared me sh*tless when I spent the summer there. Saw a dude get stabbed in the middle of the day in front of a movie theater. He survived, luckily. I also saw some cops chasing a naked crack head through the middle of the streets. Quite a bit different than Marin.