THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Guys I totally write now.
 Post subject: Feminists protest Gender Equality Meeting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Guys I totally write now.
I'll let you formulate your own opinion on this, but here's the link to the video by T.J. Kirk. T.J makes his own opinions on the video, but here's also the website of the group the feminists are protesting. http://equalitycanada.com/. Anyway, I'm pretty shocked that they pulled a fire-alarm just to stop a meeting, wasting the fireman's valuable time and protesting a rather peaceful group. The selected videos that TJ picked may not represent all of the women in that strike, but those select few do look like complete tosspots to me. "Hey, I forgot the first amendment, lets go wreak havoc on groups for the equality of BOTH GENDERS." The feminists portrayed in the video are the ones who I think want to be completly aquitted of all criminal charges based on their gender. After all, women DO get less then half the time a man gets in jail for the same crime (not all crimes.) I think that gender rights groups should be focused on BOTH genders, rather than tipping the scale by leaning too hard on one side.

(DISCLAIMER: T.J Kirk made the video, theres going to be some swearing by him and ALOT by the feminists in the video.)

Thoughts?

Hey kid.
 Post subject: Re: Feminists protest Gender Equality Meeting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 am GMT 

Custom Title: Hey kid.
Feminism IS gender equality. It seeks to establish equal rights for men and women. That is the definition of feminism, and why I'm very proud to call myself a feminist.

There are, I grant you, many different streams of feminism. Some I certainly don't agree with. But I would say that the cast majority of feminists would not condone violence, lack of freedom of speech or what Mr T.J Kirk believes is our new goal... a "supreme feminist pedestal".

Personally...? I'm under the impression that Mr T.J Kirk spent rather a lot of this video... and several other of the videos on his channel declaring that: "men are so persecuted by these awful whiny FEMINISTS *just a note here how he uses the voice of DOOM and THROAT INFECTIONS just to establish that they really are gross, unfeminine monsters* and why don't we focus on how these crazy baby-hating lesbians are making life hard for me and other oppressed males" and frankly I'm rather disgusted.

Just one of the lines of his that made me smile was- "Why can't they just shut up and let us all go back to living our lives". But that's precisely what doesn't need to happen. Attention needs to be drawn to feminist issues-- such as rape, slut-shaming, domestic violence (male and female) and abortion. We've spent long enough not bringing these issues to light, and a lack of public awareness and campaigns have lead to some states reinforcing so called "pro-life" legislation back to the USA-- a place that declares itself to be a forward-thinking, 21st century country, and threatens to in Canada.

It's somewhat endearing that he doesn't actually take the time of day to address the issues concerning the organisation that they are protesting. After making a statement saying "I couldn't find anything misogynistic on the website they were protesting", he just goes on to superficially insult these women's appearances, the way the camera looks at them, the way one woman leant into the camera to try and establish her point over the continuous monotonic drone of the man standing opposite her.

In another one of this man's videos, entitled "FAILURE OF FEMINISM" (which frankly makes me wince) he proceeds to generalise feminists as people who don't seek to address failures in the system that mean that men get the raw end of the deal... he uses the examples of child custody and domestic violence. Which is absolute nonsense. Feminists continue to campaign for the advocation of publicity and counselling for ALL affected by domestic violence, regardless of gender. It was the feminist movement which championed the right for men to take paternity leave so that they can look after and spend time with their children. It's the feminist movement that, by addressing issues such as slut-shaming, humanises men. They champion the rights of both male and female sex-workers, and continue to address atrocities such as the shameful reaction to the Steubenville Rape Case. And, as one of the feminist protestors tried to say under the disparaging remarks of Mr T.J Kirk, feminism disputes the skewed vision of the law that offers preference to the mother in custody proceedings. Don't forget that the image of the mother in the kitchen with the children comes from a Patriarchal society. Feminists take the view that custody should go to whichever parent would be better suited to caring for the child, independent of whoever has whatever gonads.

Men like Mr T.J Kirk who insist that feminism isn't needed anymore... in a time where every 2 minutes, someone in the USA is sexually assaulted, abortion is illegal in many states, and 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail... is not only sadly deluded, but also voices the sort of ignorant prejudice he -- and I'm afraid many more-- so enjoy mocking feminism for having.

I don't agree with this organisation's decision to waste the time and resources on the fire department, and despise the misguided tactics they used to enter into a debate. But don't tar feminists with this brush, nor make assumptions that feminists are out to bring down and abuse the rights of men and so "lean too hard on one side".

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
The only feminists I don't agree with are the extremists, the ones who aren't for equality but female superiority. It's called equality for a reason.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
Nerfiti that was a brilliant take down- perfectly expresses my point of view on this as well- certainly way better than I could right now! Additionally, so far as I can see, this so called 'equality' meeting was in actual fact an MRA seminar full of the same kinds of misconceptions about feminism illustrated by this man's views.

Hey kid.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Hey kid.
Haha, cheers Graid! It was rather cathartic.

Oh golly, the more I look into the MRA (Men's Rights Activists-- leaning down on one side much?) the more I am laughing and laughing. They're hysterical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm GMT 

Nerfiti wrote:
Feminism IS gender equality. It seeks to establish equal rights for men and women. That is the definition of feminism, and why I'm very proud to call myself a feminist.

There are, I grant you, many different streams of feminism. Some I certainly don't agree with. But I would say that the cast majority of feminists would not condone violence, lack of freedom of speech or what Mr T.J Kirk believes is our new goal... a "supreme feminist pedestal".

Personally...? I'm under the impression that Mr T.J Kirk spent rather a lot of this video... and several other of the videos on his channel declaring that: "men are so persecuted by these awful whiny FEMINISTS *just a note here how he uses the voice of DOOM and THROAT INFECTIONS just to establish that they really are gross, unfeminine monsters* and why don't we focus on how these crazy baby-hating lesbians are making life hard for me and other oppressed males" and frankly I'm rather disgusted.

Just one of the lines of his that made me smile was- "Why can't they just shut up and let us all go back to living our lives". But that's precisely what doesn't need to happen. Attention needs to be drawn to feminist issues-- such as rape, slut-shaming, domestic violence (male and female) and abortion. We've spent long enough not bringing these issues to light, and a lack of public awareness and campaigns have lead to some states reinforcing so called "pro-life" legislation back to the USA-- a place that declares itself to be a forward-thinking, 21st century country, and threatens to in Canada.

It's somewhat endearing that he doesn't actually take the time of day to address the issues concerning the organisation that they are protesting. After making a statement saying "I couldn't find anything misogynistic on the website they were protesting", he just goes on to superficially insult these women's appearances, the way the camera looks at them, the way one woman leant into the camera to try and establish her point over the continuous monotonic drone of the man standing opposite her.

In another one of this man's videos, entitled "FAILURE OF FEMINISM" (which frankly makes me wince) he proceeds to generalise feminists as people who don't seek to address failures in the system that mean that men get the raw end of the deal... he uses the examples of child custody and domestic violence. Which is absolute nonsense. Feminists continue to campaign for the advocation of publicity and counselling for ALL affected by domestic violence, regardless of gender. It was the feminist movement which championed the right for men to take paternity leave so that they can look after and spend time with their children. It's the feminist movement that, by addressing issues such as slut-shaming, humanises men. They champion the rights of both male and female sex-workers, and continue to address atrocities such as the shameful reaction to the Steubenville Rape Case. And, as one of the feminist protestors tried to say under the disparaging remarks of Mr T.J Kirk, feminism disputes the skewed vision of the law that offers preference to the mother in custody proceedings. Don't forget that the image of the mother in the kitchen with the children comes from a Patriarchal society. Feminists take the view that custody should go to whichever parent would be better suited to caring for the child, independent of whoever has whatever gonads.

Men like Mr T.J Kirk who insist that feminism isn't needed anymore... in a time where every 2 minutes, someone in the USA is sexually assaulted, abortion is illegal in many states, and 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail... is not only sadly deluded, but also voices the sort of ignorant prejudice he -- and I'm afraid many more-- so enjoy mocking feminism for having.

I don't agree with this organisation's decision to waste the time and resources on the fire department, and despise the misguided tactics they used to enter into a debate. But don't tar feminists with this brush, nor make assumptions that feminists are out to bring down and abuse the rights of men and so "lean too hard on one side".

But you have to admit, both genders have issues that need resolving. I don't hate feminism, I should have probably put that in my first post. Sexual assault is a tragic thing, yes but it has nothing to do with gender discrimination. There will always be sexual assault, even if genders become exactly equal. Abortion is a woman's right, I agree. But it's a conservative view (pro-life) that holds that in place. It's quite obvious that SOME of the feminists IN THAT VIDEO were biased towards their own gender. I made quite sure to mention that I was against those feminists that were shown in the video, figuratively and literally sticking middle fingers in the faces of men. I don't share ALL of my opinions with T.J, but under all the extremist messages he sends, he does make some good points.

You shouldn't take T.J seriously, after all he's just one of the many who shares his viewpoints (he wants Texas to secede.). I usually go to his channel for some laughs at his extreme viewpoint. The main cause of the women's right not being resolved is that the media only pays attention to the radical feminists, who most people brush off as "weird" and "dumb". If only we actually paid more attention to the less-extreme feminists, progress might be made. And about the "lean too hard on one side" I didn't mean that females would gain rights and men would lose rights, rather females would gain rights and men would keep their standing.

Quote:
Feminism IS gender equality. It seeks to establish equal rights for men and women.

Alright, I looked it up. Of course if this is true, can men be feminists? Why the root "fem-"?

Quote:
Oh golly, the more I look into the MRA (Men's Rights Activists-- leaning down on one side much?) the more I am laughing and laughing. They're hysterical.

T.J made a mistake, the real group is the link in the description. Here's their mandate. http://equalitycanada.com/about/mandate/ Skip to 2:12 in the video and also look up news articles about the incident, notice no mention of MRA.

Also, I'm not tarring all of feminists. In that post i specifically mentioned the feminists featured in the rally, the ones who were shouting expletives at bystanders, not anyone else. My fault, I worded it slightly off-center of my point. If a feminist realizes that both genders need balancing, they're all right in my book. The points I made in that post were specifically targeted at the feminist group only, and I know that other groups have different agendas. The main issue here is that this group violently broke up a meeting, rerouting valuable firemen who could've saved lives, and generally made themselves look like a bunch of fuckwits. If I sound like I've been living under a rock, I have.

Quote:
Nerfiti that was a brilliant take down- perfectly expresses my point of view on this as well- certainly way better than I could right now! Additionally, so far as I can see, this so called 'equality' meeting was in actual fact an MRA seminar full of the same kinds of misconceptions about feminism illustrated by this man's views.

The entire take-down was pretty much based on the last sentence, which after looking up "feminist" on dictionary.com I realized was wrong, and I undersand that. And about this whole MRA thing, why are you stereotyping a group of men fighting for gender equality as a bunch of idiots who are obviously heavily biased towards their own race? It shows the entire group for less than 5 seconds and then focuses on the protesters for the rest of the video. Didn't I link you guys twice the website for the group? It was in the news, these guys aren't MRA, sorry.. You guys appear to be just as much biased towards your own gender-equality groups as I are mine. Before you say, "Well he said MRA in the video..." a fat guy who sits infront of a camera ranting about the headlines isn't exactly a credible source. Skip to 2:12 in the video and also look up news articles about the incident, notice no mention of MRA.

Last edited by Critanium on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm GMT 

...actually, that is a good point: if its for gender equality, whys it called feminism? (This isn't a take at you, Nerf, just more a question.)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
It's called Feminism for historical reasons.

The origins of the movement are rooted in a time when Western European society was overwhelmingly patriarchal in many regards, and feminists were more solely focused on women's issues.

The movement has developed and broadened greatly, and now, as Nerf says (in that pretty-damn-brilliant post) they campaign also for issues that affect men worse than women. The term is a historical term, though, and I imagine its out of respect for the heritage of the movement that they keep it.

(I'd say there are still more elements of society that are discriminatory to women than towards men, after all).

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:31 am GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
I'd just like to say that at least in America, there isn't a patriarchy. There's a religious oligarchy. Yes many of them are guys but that's not the reason they're dipshits. See: Sarah Palin. My governor. Who's still just dandy with gay, trans, and disability discrimination. There are women in the US government. There are women supporting these outrageous laws and voting on things like SOPA.

I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that they, both men and women, quote (Or at least miscontext) parts of the bible when making up stupid shit like the DOMA, abortion rights, immigration laws and that antisodomy law that was a thing for a while. They don't grab their dick and say "Because testicles", they grab their bible and say "Because god". Which I still don't understand, seeing as the very first sentence of the first amendment of the most important document for the laws of this country explicitly says not to do that in detail. Seriously, look:
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/wp-c ... ndment.jpg

I don't think balancing the gender valley or even replacing it would fix that. It'd probably just give men a reason to call matriarchy instead. I think more rigorous examinations and less religious bias would. I'd rather have a bunch of men in support of equal marriage and human rights than a split amount of men and women still against it; which is not to say I'm against gender equality but rather congressional bias. 250~ people make the laws for 300 million people. If they were mostly women and educated enough to support equality I'm fine with it. If they're mostly men and educated enough to support equality I'm fine with it. I just want it at all, and I don't believe the solution is through your crotch, but your brain.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 pm GMT 

Yeah but this is about feminists protesting a gender equality meeting.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm GMT 

MusicMan108 wrote:
Yeah but this is about feminists protesting a gender equality meeting.

I wish I could stay on-topic, just clarifying myself and telling them that the group isn't MRA.

Quote:
I'd just like to say that at least in America, there isn't a patriarchy. There's a religious oligarchy. Yes many of them are guys but that's not the reason they're dipshits. See: Sarah Palin. My governor. Who's still just dandy with gay, trans, and disability discrimination. There are women in the US government. There are women supporting these outrageous laws and voting on things like SOPA.

I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that they, both men and women, quote (Or at least miscontext) parts of the bible when making up stupid shit like the DOMA, abortion rights, immigration laws and that antisodomy law that was a thing for a while. They don't grab their dick and say "Because testicles", they grab their bible and say "Because god". Which I still don't understand, seeing as the very first sentence of the first amendment of the most important document for the laws of this country explicitly says not to do that in detail. Seriously, look:
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/wp-c ... ndment.jpg

I don't think balancing the gender valley or even replacing it would fix that. It'd probably just give men a reason to call matriarchy instead. I think more rigorous examinations and less religious bias would. I'd rather have a bunch of men in support of equal marriage and human rights than a split amount of men and women still against it; which is not to say I'm against gender equality but rather congressional bias. 250~ people make the laws for 300 million people. If they were mostly women and educated enough to support equality I'm fine with it. If they're mostly men and educated enough to support equality I'm fine with it. I just want it at all, and I don't believe the solution is through your crotch, but your brain.

America is seriously getting closer to becoming a religious theocracy/oligarchy. 52% of Americans today would like to have recreational marijuana legal, but only 3% of congress would like recreational marijuana, therby confirming that legalizing recreational pot will not happen anytime soon. North Carolina's senators were trying to push for an official state religon, therby in their own words, "making us exempt from the Constitution."