Eh 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

And then stuff happened.
 Post subject: Re: I take offense to that. . . [Rant]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:28 pm GMT 

Custom Title: And then stuff happened.
Chad Daddy wrote:
Emily O'Connor wrote:
Also, The Hobbit isn't a Lord of the Rings movie. It's a movie from The Hobbit. :P

Forgive me, nerd princess. :p

IN PLACE OF A DARK LORD YOU SHALL HAVE A QUEEN! NOT DARK BUT BEAUTIFUL!

:P

Also, my husband likes Ford better than other cars because his mother's maiden name is Ford and she grew up on Ford road and her first job was at a Ford plant.

Also, because they're SOOOO much better than Dodge, better made, etc etc.

I just felt the need to say all that lol I do agree with the rest of what you're saying though. Every other point you're making is totally valid. I really am sorry if I was being annoying. :/

A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm GMT 

Custom Title: A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
Emily O'Connor wrote:
Also, because they're SOOOO much better than Dodge, better made, etc etc.

Well, that goes without saying. EVERYTHING is better than Dodge. The things fall apart and start rusting after 3 years. I side more with Chevrolet because for the most part, they've made almost every truck I've ever driven. I've driven two Fords in my life, and both times it ended in tragedy. :C My grandfather is the one that supplies me with all these trucks with the exception of one that was killed b-okay, I've repeated that story way too many times, but it would have lived a little longer if my brother wasn't retarded. Oh, speaking of truck talk, my grandfather's truck is finally on its last leg. We're borrowing it right now, and it seems to be in deplorable condition. Handbrake isn't functional, first of all, interior is falling apart, the console box has broken off entirely from the truck along with the driver's side door panel, the passenger's side seat needs a special tool to operate, dashboard cracks (even if they are incredibly common in Chevy trucks from that era that are left out in the sun all day), and, most importantly, that thing can and will die in the middle of a busy intersection.

Oh lord, all that thread derailment...

Anyways, I wouldn't say you're being annoying at all. I've seen much much worse things come out of people that are much much better behaved than any of us here. Just voicing my opinion is all.

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:16 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
A few things:

1. I think you guys may be taking this all a little too personally. I get it, the people in the thing are more extreme than normal, and nerds are not always the way they're popularly portrayed. That doesn't mean they are/should/will be spared from being poked fun at or mocked at (note: I'm not saying they should be targeted, rather that they shouldn't be specially excluded or not made the subject of a joke every now and then.) If people can make fun of something, they will, and you just have to except that and roll with it.

2. There's a difference between nerd geek and dork?

Quote:

Is this a reference to something?

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm GMT 

:3 Good.

That sounds like any car after my mother-in-law gets ahold of it...her mother recently moved in with her and gave her the nice Lincoln town car she's had for god knows how long and my mother-in-law smokes in it, suddenly the panels are falling off, the rear view mirror recently fell off...Crazy shit.

Aurum Piraticus Aetus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:45 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Aurum Piraticus Aetus
MusicMan108 wrote:
I think you guys may be taking this all a little too personally. I get it, the people in the thing are more extreme than normal, and nerds are not always the way they're popularly portrayed. That doesn't mean they are/should/will be spared from being poked fun at or mocked at (note: I'm not saying they should be targeted, rather that they shouldn't be specially excluded or not made the subject of a joke every now and then.) If people can make fun of something, they will, and you just have to except that and roll with it.

Gotta say I agree on this. I mean, aside from a bit of social shunning that makes literally no difference once you are an adult and can do whatever the fuck with your life (and you really should be past the petty clique fights of highschool at that age) being a nerd/dork/whatever has literally no negative effect on your life. If the worst you're getting is some mockery and and few side glances of "wow, what a weirdo" thank your stars and move on with life. Everybody's probably got weird hobbies and those that don't are pretty boring imo.

Plus, honestly, nerdliness is pretty ok in modern culture. A lot of people brag about being "gamers" and participating in other aspects of "nerd culture" and have you seen the success of comic books movies lately?

To me it's just reality tv ridiculous but nothing worse than that.

Also, throwing in a vote for Chevy.

i_heart_dvorak wrote:
In other news, congratulations on fulfilling the prerequisites for sainthood! With the power vested in me by the Pope, I hereby crown you Saint FedoraPirate. Congratulations Saint FedoraPirate!

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:25 pm GMT 

MusicMan108 wrote:
A few things:

1. I think you guys may be taking this all a little too personally. I get it, the people in the thing are more extreme than normal, and nerds are not always the way they're popularly portrayed. That doesn't mean they are/should/will be spared from being poked fun at or mocked at (note: I'm not saying they should be targeted, rather that they shouldn't be specially excluded or not made the subject of a joke every now and then.) If people can make fun of something, they will, and you just have to except that and roll with it.

2. There's a difference between nerd geek and dork?

Quote:

Is this a reference to something?

In reference to:

1. Occasional good natured jokes and prodings are always fine. It's when it crosses certain lines that it becomes not ok, like my reference to the newspaper thing or an entire tv show that's basically around to make fun of people with different hobbies.

2. I posted a picture about that lol

3. Less a reference and more a direct quote, but yes. Yes it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm GMT 

1. Well, to be fair, I hardly think they grabbed random nerds and forced them on the show...and honestly, it didn't look much like they were making fun of them. It honestly just looked like they filmed them doing their thing.

2. Is it what you posted in the last page? Because it won't show up.

3. Okay, generally when someone says something like that, it's also asking what's it from.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Aurum Piraticus Aetus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Aurum Piraticus Aetus
3. Lemme google that for you.

Not trying to be an ass but google is pretty useful for this kind of thing.

Also, I agree, again, on point 1. Every one of the nerds wants to be there and is probably being well compensated for their time.

i_heart_dvorak wrote:
In other news, congratulations on fulfilling the prerequisites for sainthood! With the power vested in me by the Pope, I hereby crown you Saint FedoraPirate. Congratulations Saint FedoraPirate!

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm GMT 

1. That's fair. The people did have to try out to get on the show.

2. Yeah, it says:
Geek: Understands, creates, and fixes really cool stuff
Nerd: Understands and collects really cool stuff
Dork: Confused by really cool stuff

And obviously that's one person's opinion on what they all stand for, but yeah. I mean...does 'dork' ever have a positive connotation along with it? Not that I've heard. Then to me, Nerds are the people that do have their fandoms and things they collect stuff from, then geeks are the guys that build their own suits of Mandalorian armor, or build their own computers, stuff like that. *shrug*

3. The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Lady Galadriel: In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

That's how I feel most days. I would not do well to have the One Ring...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 pm GMT 

(Why is it every time I try just asking someone about something I get google thrown in my face? Is it wrong I think a real human could explain it to me better? :/)

Uh...Emily, I'll pretend what you mean by that last sentiment makes sense, given I have no idea what the context is...

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm GMT 

I just told you the context!
Emily O'Connor wrote:

3. The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Lady Galadriel: In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

That's how I feel most days. I would not do well to have the One Ring...

The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Lady Galadriel: In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

It's a quote from The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, and it was said by Lady Galadriel. The big pretty elf lady with the blond hair that got all scary at that one point, where she said that thing I just said she said.

It means I want to rule the world and that all shall love me and despair.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm GMT 

...I meant the context of the plot. And I've never seen it, so describing her won't help.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
It´s somewhat complicated. This is one of the times when google would probably be handier. It´s a great movie though, you should watch it sometime.

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:15 am GMT 

You saw The Hobbit but you...I guess you were really young when they trilogy came out...ok. i understand that then. You should watch them.

That actually makes a lot more sense when I think about how FotR came out in 2001 and you would have been like...4 lol

i shouldn't post... ever
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:12 pm GMT 

Custom Title: i shouldn't post... ever
(More thread derailment)
Chad Daddy wrote:
Handbrake isn't functional

Block of wood on a rope thrown at the wheels worked for me once.