THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Guys I totally write now.
 Post subject: Your Irrational Fears. (Possible Language)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Guys I totally write now.
We all have them, those fears that began when we were young, and may or may not persist today.

I, for one, always think someone is behind me when I'm in the dark, and alone. I do this wierd sideways walk when I'm next to a wall. Thanks a fucking-lot 076, I'll never go down a dark set of stairs again.

Loud noises at night. Scared the shit out of me when I was playing some TF2 at night, and my dad was watching the Bourne Conspiricy downstairs. For god-sakes, thought it was a giant roar, accompanied with something I could only percieve as weeping.

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: Your Irrational Fears. (Possible Language)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:44 am GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Spiders. Disgusting little eight-legged monsters. I've woken up in the night convinced my bed is full of them in the past.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 am GMT 

Custom Title: A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
Silvanus wrote:
Spiders. Disgusting little eight-legged monsters. I've woken up in the night convinced my bed is full of them in the past.

I know someone who's the same way. If you link him to a website that just so happens to have a picture of a tiny spider, he'll freak out and cuss you out. We have to be really careful around the guy.

Me, I'm paranoid, and I think it's not that surprising that I am. I grew up in a rough area where home invasions and kidnappings are common occurrences. My parents didn't hawk over me and guard me every second of every day, but they told me about how the world works at a very young age. I was more aware at a young age, which is a good thing, but I'm unreasonably paranoid. I used to sleep fully clothed, boots on and a knife by my side in case, "the shit went down." There's a hole punched into my shutters so I can see if anyone is outside the house during the day without showing my face. As a child, when I would stand in the kitchen at night and wait to hear nothing but complete silence, I'd run to my room thinking someone was literally right behind me. My nightmares usually consisted of people taking me away or invading my privacy. There are times when I'll give people online completely false information just to make sure that they can trust me without having the ability to track me down and hurt me. Although the most telling of this is how I refuse to go out with my friends based on the fear that despite the fact that they're completely trustworthy and nobody's ever been hurt with them before, I fear they might have connections with or relatives from one of the Mexican cartels. If not that, then I fear that they'll want to start trouble and I'll go down with them when they get caught. Although that much did kind of pay off. I was an A-B student with a spotless criminal record. Although I know I'm going to be the kind of adult that stockpiles weapons in his house, preparing for anyone that so much as dares to set foot upon my property. I've tried changing before that happens, but as life goes on, I find more reasons to retreat back into my comfort zone and keep people as far away from me as possible.

is a spider-child
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm GMT 

Custom Title: is a spider-child
Silvanus wrote:

Amen.

I am afraid of pulling teeth. But I'm not sure I would call that an irrational fear... But one of my biggest fears is windows at night. They scare me far more than actually being outside in the dark. Just... if someone was looking in through them... I might just die.

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
I love spiders. I let them in when I see them outside and even let them walk across me. They're cute lil buggers.

And I'm afraid of my neck. Or at least someone touching it.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

Lawfully... reclined?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Lawfully... reclined?
I used to be very afraid of spiders, mostly the common cellar spider, but I've grown to not mind them so much. But anything that I don't know if it's harmless or not would be kill-on-sight, spider or not. Oddly enough, I'm curious about a pet tarantula...

@Chad - I'm nearly the same way, my hometown was a place where trouble was common that neighborhood watch was being encouraged. My home was never robbed, but there were times where we've witnessed some nearby car crashes, one of them causing a small fire to the house it hit (whoever the driver was fled), and there were a few times some household's family drama spills out that we could hear the yelling and cussing - fortunately didn't turn into anything serious but still were annoying. My parents trained me to be careful when I go out. Since then, I've had multiple nightmares involving someone trying to break in/assault me. :(

That said, I don't like being alone in a too quiet house. The smallest sound freaks me out, thinking it could be someone trying to break in. At one point, I was all by myself while my parents were out of town for a couple days. One night, I dialed 911 over a fridge making some tapping noise I mistook for someone trying to unlock a double-locked sliding door from the backyard (fortunately [or not?], they weren't able to send someone to check it out)...

A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm GMT 

Custom Title: A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
Shirokuro wrote:
@Chad - I'm nearly the same way, my hometown was a place where trouble was common that neighborhood watch was being encouraged. My home was never robbed, but there were times where we've witnessed some nearby car crashes, one of them causing a small fire to the house it hit (whoever the driver was fled), and there were a few times some household's family drama spills out that we could hear the yelling and cussing - fortunately didn't turn into anything serious but still were annoying. My parents trained me to be careful when I go out. Since then, I've had multiple nightmares involving someone trying to break in/assault me. :(

That said, I don't like being alone in a too quiet house. The smallest sound freaks me out, thinking it could be someone trying to break in. At one point, I was all by myself while my parents were out of town for a couple days. One night, I dialed 911 over a fridge making some tapping noise I mistook for someone trying to unlock a double-locked sliding door from the backyard (fortunately [or not?], they weren't able to send someone to check it out)...

Robberies are rampant on this street lately. We suspect that there's a gang of people walking around at the wee hours checking car doors to see if they're unlocked. Hell, I remember someone made the mistake of installing a fountain in front of their house as soon as they moved in. Now, fountain is the universal sign of "I'm rich", and a moving truck is a sign of "I'm not home very often". They broke into their house and robbed the shit out of them. It's a pretty awful welcome wagon. We've had 3 cars stolen, and as it turns out, we're not always aware of when we get robbed, so the number just sort of goes up when we notice we're missing something. It doesn't help that we have a neighborhood full of hoodlums despite being one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. We don't have a neighborhood watch set up because we know half of the neighborhood are probably thieves themselves. In fact, we're fairly positive that our neighbors are the ones doing this, and that's kind of sad. Family drama gets out of control as well. I... think I'd rather keep those stories to myself.

I've never dialed 911 for anything, no matter how much I should have. I'm an intimidating guy and I stare people down if they try anything, but I've never been able to successfully report anyone for anything. I'll cower in a corner and grab a knife or gun, but that's about it.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
My hometown is remarkably low in crime-- was looking through the statistics for that on an internship at the council.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Someone once tried stealing the wheel off our car parked outside. Fortunately a neighbor woke up and chased them off. Another good think was they stopped and we knew-the jack was on the passenger side, so if my dad had gotten in and tried driving off...

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Aurum Piraticus Aetus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Aurum Piraticus Aetus
smarticus wrote:
I love spiders. I let them in when I see them outside and even let them walk across me. They're cute lil buggers.

And I'm afraid of my neck. Or at least someone touching it.

I, too, am fond of spiders. For a host of ridiculous reasons but mostly they are useful. Spider webs can stop bleeding, certain silks can be woven and are stronger than steel, and they eat nasty bugs.

I am irrationally afraid of not very much. Small/tight places? Something like that maybe...

i_heart_dvorak wrote:
In other news, congratulations on fulfilling the prerequisites for sainthood! With the power vested in me by the Pope, I hereby crown you Saint FedoraPirate. Congratulations Saint FedoraPirate!

It's always the quiet ones...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:25 pm GMT 

Custom Title: It's always the quiet ones...
smarticus wrote:
I'm afraid of my neck. Or at least someone touching it.

Same here. Full blown panic attack scared. It's ridiculous. I also have emetophobia and I'm terrified of lakes. Other than that I'm not really irrationally scared of anything.

yep
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 pm GMT 

Custom Title: yep
I can't step on the bottom step of a staircase. If I do, something terrible will happen

Is é do mhac do mhac go bpósann sé ach is í d'iníon go bhfaighidh tú bás.

cheese
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm GMT 

Custom Title: cheese
Eye drops. Needles. Bugs with stingers. Therapists.

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
Dolphinz wrote:
The rapists.

I'd be scared of them too.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 pm GMT 

Dolphinz wrote:
Bugs with stingers

I love bees.

I hate small, cramped spaces. Crowded and windowless rooms are the worst. If there's no clear exit, I'll just have to make one myself.