THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

And then stuff happened.
 Post subject: Re: Your Irrational Fears. (Possible Language)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:35 pm GMT 

Custom Title: And then stuff happened.
Having had negative paranormal experiences, the dark REALLY isn't my friend. Also, my mom watches all the murder investigation shows. So the dark isn't my friend.

However, after obtaining my 75-pounds-and-still-under-weight-rottweiler-german-shepherd-mix dog, the dark doesn't scare me anymore. It helps that he's always right there...except right now. He's watching the front door because my phone rang. And he knows that if my phone rings, it means someone's coming over lol But at night, when I'm trying to go to sleep, the fact that the pitch-black room doesn't shift with shadows anymore makes me feel better. Not that I sleep at night anymore. Being alone in the house doesn't bother me anymore either. It's weird, sure, but it doesn't scare the shit out of me. I know JJ would at LEAST let me know someone was there. Then I'm very confident that I'd be able to get the .38 out of the bedroom and take care of the rest.

I'm TERRIFIED of windows at night. I'm always so certain there's going to be a face there staring back at me.

I'm also claustrophobic. But only in certain situations. Elevators are not my friend, but I tolerate them. And avoid them when possible. Which is not fun with my back being bad and effecting my legs. Hospital elevators are usually...more ok. I still panic but I usually panic more when someone's with me. Specifically Sarloch because I know I can panic in front of him and he won't think any less of me. (Spiders, too. He has to kill spiders if he's around. I turn into a little 3 year old girl when it comes to spiders if he's around. If he isn't, I crush 'em myself. But if he is, I damn near cry...) I used to get claustrophobic in one-room bathrooms. Not in a house, but at a gas station or something. I was always scared I'd get stuck in them. When I had my MRI on my head done when I was 18-19, it didn't bother me. But getting my lower back done was totally different. The top of the little friggin tube was MAYBE two inches from my face and I couldn't move. They had to change my appointment so I could do to their other clinic and get the open MRI done. Which wasn't much better, but at least I could see out the sides. But I was just terrified I was going to get crushed. The thought of being below deck of a big ship in the middle of the ocean flips me out, too. The worst though is when someone holds a blanket over my head. It's always been like that, too. It just really flips me out.

And I know I have a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix, but pit bulls make me wary. Even though I know it's all stupid and that pit bulls were used as baby sitters in the Victorian era and it's all in how the dog was raised...I feel bad about that. They're cute dogs. But when we take JJ to the dog park and there's a pit bull, I keep an eye on it.

So, the dark, claustrophobia, spiders, and that might be it. Claustrophobia being the big one.

I think my unease at walking the dog at 2am by myself when Sarloch is at work is totally rational. It isn't a bad neighborhood and NO ONE is around at 2am and I have a dog and carry a knife, but I still get really uneasy and paranoid. Plus, with my back and atrophied muscles, when he sees a small animal he wants to chase, it's really hard to hold him back by myself lol And it hurts my back, but yeah lol

I'm also terrified that when I have children, I'll turn into my mother. I know, I know. Insert "omg I'm turning into my parents!" jokes here, but I'm serious. I've been realizing what kind of person my mom is and it isn't pretty. I've realized how messed up I am because of her specifically be it body image issues or her taking her anger at my dad out on me verbally and emotionally....yeah. It isn't a fun thought. It's why I want to have boys when I have kids and why I'm terrified of the prospect of having daughters. I know I'd end up hating them like my mom hated me.

>.> But yeah. Claustrophobia.

Christ, I have issues...

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 am GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
Eh, why not. . .

Spiders and needles.

But also, the weird one:

I hate ledges with railings. <.<;; Like, looking down from them. It makes me nervous and anxious as hell and I've no idea why - especially glass ones. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't help that my mind suddenly gives me all these images of falling over them and whatnot. It made climbing the Duomo in Florence a bit of a challenge. XD

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Editor-in-Jerk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:42 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Editor-in-Jerk
I wouldn't call it a phobia, but I don't much care for encountering spiders - or worse, house centipedes - and get freaked out of they're on me. That is pretty common, though.

More peculiarly, I used to have a very adverse reaction to seeing pictures or footage of people with severe facial deformities. I remember as a kid, walking in on my mom watching a special on TLC or one of those channels, called "The girl without a face" or something like that. That really messed with me, at the time. :P

And then stuff happened.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 am GMT 

Custom Title: And then stuff happened.
SILVER FISH!

OH MY GOD SILVERFISH! FUCK THOSE THINGS!!

Doesn't that little bastard look like he comes in and crawls around under your skin like the scarabs in The Mummy?! THAT'S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IT DOES! But actually it eats book glue and things like that. But it doesn't matter. Whenever I see one, I see it swimming around under my skin, crawling and making a little raised bump that I sit there and stare at in horror as it moves around....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:36 am GMT 

Walking home alone at night. Can't happen twice, but, I'm not very brave. Still, spiders and drowning.

If you ain't smart, you better be quick.

Pure mediocrity since 1998.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:56 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Pure mediocrity since 1998.
Robots taking all of our jobs. There, I said it.

Propane is flammable
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:42 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Propane is flammable
When im underwater in the ocean and you can see metallic things like chains and old boats. don't know why but it really just creeps me out and i'll swim away frantically if i see one.

sucks.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 pm GMT 

Custom Title: sucks.
To be honest, I'm pretty apprehensive about driving because I worry about getting into an accident and dying, but I guess that'd be normal for anyone lol

Also future expenses feel like an inevitable nightmare

Proud Hufflepuff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:45 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Proud Hufflepuff
I'm with you, Ether. I've never been comfortable behind the wheel of a car, and I'm nearly twenty-seven. Plus I'm a lousy judge of depth (I do have depth perception, I just suck at judging it)

As for me, silence. I don't know why, but I'm really uncomfortable things being quiet. I can't even sleep at night without some type of background noise. Usually my IPad playing music or leaving my TV on. And when I was at school, or when I go to a doctor appointment, I'm always a bit antsy.

Here Be Characters

The Maxwell Hotel is always looking for workers(both in the hotel and cafe) and connections (both in family and (legitimate) business).

Do you wanna have a bad time?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Do you wanna have a bad time?
So, this is probably going to sound silly, but ever since I was a little kid, I've had this irrational fear of teddy bears. Now I'm mostly just creeped out by them, but I still have a small feeling of uneasiness when close to them. I don't know exactly why, but it probably had something to do with a giant teddy bear we used to have in my house. Well, it wasn't so much giant as the size of a big dog, but it looked giant for me back then. I don't know what was up with me and that teddy, but I used to have nightmares with him all the time.

If you're wondering, no, I don't remember those nightmares (thank god), but I do think they were pretty, abstract, to say the least. Luckily, I convinced my parents to get rid of him. I think they left it at my grandmas house. They once told me he was in the closet of one of the rooms. I haven't been able to confirm this, but there's no way in hell I'm going near that closet again!

(Man, I sure had a weird imagination back then.)

Only if it is profitable to me. -Virgil Mauvais

Propane is flammable
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:20 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Propane is flammable
Frank_Blank wrote:
So, this is probably going to sound silly, but ever since I was a little kid, I've had this irrational fear of teddy bears. Now I'm mostly just creeped out by them, but I still have a small feeling of uneasiness when close to them. I don't know exactly why, but it probably had something to do with a giant teddy bear we used to have in my house. Well, it wasn't so much giant as the size of a big dog, but it looked giant for me back then. I don't know what was up with me and that teddy, but I used to have nightmares with him all the time.

If you're wondering, no, I don't remember those nightmares (thank god), but I do think they were pretty, abstract, to say the least. Luckily, I convinced my parents to get rid of him. I think they left it at my grandmas house. They once told me he was in the closet of one of the rooms. I haven't been able to confirm this, but there's no way in hell I'm going near that closet again!

(Man, I sure had a weird imagination back then.)

I used to have a stuffed animal when i was a kid and i swear that i saw it's eyes moving and looking at me. I didn't get much sleep those nights...

My Friend of Missouri
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:55 pm GMT 

Custom Title: My Friend of Missouri
I once had a childhood fear of drains stemming from a dream where a dragon emerged from the bathtub drain and devoured my toes. Thankfully, I've since overcome that fear. Now I just need to get over my paralyzing fear of wasps (the insect, not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, just so we're clear).