THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Personification of Spring
 Post subject: Therapy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Alright; after a little discussion with someone here, I've decided to try and buckle down and finally try getting therapy. I'm sick of constantly getting trapped in these cycles of emotions and I don't want to cause more misery on here.

The problem is I have absolutely no courage about this. Last year or year before that I brought up therapy to my folks, and they pretty well brushed it off. I'm not sure whether I didn't make it clear I'm in desperate need of therapy or if they genuinely feel it's a waste. I'm more than likely going to just see the school psychiatrist though due to that experience.

My main point is, I know some people on here have/had therapy (won't name names in case I misremember or they don't want that out there), and I wondered: what's the best way to go about doing this? And what's the best way to build up the courage to go through with this?

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Knats and Potato Chips
 Post subject: Re: Therapy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 am GMT 

Custom Title: Knats and Potato Chips
Well, therapy/ counseling isn't anything to be ashamed of in the first place. It is perfectly acceptable to need to work these things out with a neutral third party who really knows how to help. The school is a good resource, I advise going and talking to your guidance office. They are the ones who have the resources to point you in the right direction if they can't do it themselves. If your worried about your family finding out, you don't need to, therapy/counseling is completely private and none of what you say will be told to anyone.

But getting the information is the easy part,the hard part is going. My advice is to not look at it like this is a weakness, it's not. Everyone goes through these times. You jut need a hand from someone who is neither friend nor family. Get yourself to go,force yourself to walk through those doors- but don't feel pressured to spill your guts the first time there. Also know that if this therapist isn't working for you- find another one. That is perfectly acceptable to, otherwise it won't you do you as much good.

Tiz my ten cents.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
I don't mind saying I've had counselling. It was at the suggestion of a University faculty member, and so I mentioned that to explain why I was there.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
I'll cop to it: I'm in counseling now. [shrug] Things have been really stressful, and it helps - more about having a place to talk and learn about coping methods. Also, she recommended that I go back on ADD medication, and I'm inclined to agree. So hopefully that'll help too.

Trust me, MM, you are not alone and like Mazelina said, it's nothing to be ashamed of, and if you still feel uncomfortable about privacy, you can ask the councilor about it flat-out when you have your first session. I'm sure s/he'll be happy to explain their policy.

Be proud, not ashamed. Goes to a therapist takes more courage than not going, and the fact that you can admit to yourself that you might need a bit of help shows a great amount of maturity. :3

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:59 am GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
I was in counseling on-and-off for all four years at university. It was a stressful time for a number of reasons. I went to my first session feeling super skeptical, like "I don't need this New Age-y bullshit, but it's free, so I might as well go to make my advisor happy." As it turned out, it was unbelievably helpful to be able to vent about the pressures and stresses in my life without worrying whether the person I was talking to was getting bored, or was going to criticize me for what I said.

Also, because the student resource center where I worked was associated with the counseling center, I got to know the counselors and hang out with them, and they were all really cool people with interesting lives and perspectives. By the time I graduated, my counselor was one of my best friends among the campus staff. I gave her all my tea cups when I moved out of the dorm.

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 am GMT 

Custom Title: For reasons unknown.
I've been visiting a private psychiatrist for a year and a half. I daresay it's helped me quite a lot. The main point is that, except the various psychotherapy methods, it's always a place where I can truly express myself, be honest. For one with little human contact, this is very important.

As for building up courage, I'll simply say that the first few times are always awkward, but try to see your therapist not as a scientist/authority figure but as your fellow man. Pretty soon you might even want to go there.

And, as already said, if the therapist doesn't help you, don't hesitate to find a different one.

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 am GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
I'm a crazy person. I HAVE to go to therapy. It's actually really nice. Just boring.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:05 pm GMT 

I'm a tad bit worried though: should I even try asking my mom for help at all? When I was called to the counselor and she freaked out when she found, I highly doubt she'd take it well if I kept on about therapy. But if I do get help at school, how would I fit it in? I only have about 20 minutes before school and 10 minutes after I could use, and I don't think that's enough.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm GMT 

I think it's best to come clean with her, first. If you feel you need help she has no right to stop you.

Knats and Potato Chips
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm GMT 

Well, when I started counseling I didn't inform my parents. Some people don't understand how important mental help is. If you feel like it would just be another argument, I would keep it private, but someone already mentioned to check with your schools policy on privacy and what not. This is a personal choice but if you intend on ever telling her do it now, otherwise she'll be MORE upset you didn't say so in the first place. Truly, honesty is the best policy.

As for time constraints- it's amazing what even those twenty minutes can do for you. Do you have lunch breaks? That's a time I know many people used to visit them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 pm GMT 

Alright; I brought up the topic with my mom again, and made sure to be serious. She said she thought I was fine and all I'm going through is normal teenage stuff.

I'm wondering if she's right or I wasn't firm enough...

(I do have lunch breaks; not exactly sure why I hadn't considered that.)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

Knats and Potato Chips
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm GMT 

Well, considering she isn't freaking out, I'd go ahead with it anyway. Maybe it is all normal teen stuff but you feel think you need the aid right? So that's ok, go have a chat with a therapist/counselor. It might be the typical feelings, I don't know your situation, but your unhappy so it certainly can't hurt to try and see if it helps.

Just because these are normal experiences( if they are) doesn't mean they don't affect/ upset you. Talking to a therapist/counselor is a good way to manage. It's a healthy way to manage. Check out all the people on the forum openly saying they did, their problems may be typical but they got the help anyway :)

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 pm GMT 

Hahaha, mine is certainly more in the "typical" shade. Stress, made worse by childhood-to-adult ADD. Downright anxiety with moments of completely flipping my shit when something doesn't go right when I'm under pressure.

I hardly think that's an uncommon problem, really - I just might have it a bit worse than some others, at times.

Also, lack of concentration is a killer. XD

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm GMT 

Now I feel compelled to tell my story.

... in short: extreme OCD and one major depressive episode.

Other than that, fine. Though I sometimes do enjoy quacking like the all-familiar dead duck.

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:34 pm GMT 

Oh, oh! I've had depression too! Almost forgot about that one, since it hasn't been as much of an issue in the past 2 years. . .

— Carl Sandburg