THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:17 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
Posts: 11001
Location: England
Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Somairle wrote:
And historically, when was homosexuality ignored?


Throughout most of history it's not been recognised. Even if some were aware of it in society centuries ago, most wouldn't have discussed or considered it, as far as I'm aware.

smarticus wrote:
Not sure about that one Tim.


Well, admittedly I'm not going to pay for the articles, but from their synopses, most of that stuff is talking about chemical influences, not life experiences, which is what I disputed. That's my point-- study into life experiences and influences affecting someone's sexuality could only be interview-based and pretty tenuous.

What's someone going to ask me? Was I obsessed with putting things in my mouth when I was a child? What kind of life experience could someone pinpoint and link to homosexuality, or heterosexuality? It sounds very Freudian, and very questionable psychology. There would be a hundred different interpretations for any results from a study like that.

I definitely believe that I feel attraction to men (and women) because chemicals tell me to, not because I had some early-life experience that put me on that path. D'you feel differently?

_________________
Image

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".


Top
 Profile  
 

certified Ninja Pirate
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm GMT
Posts: 2466
Location: SE Idaho
Custom Title: certified Ninja Pirate
Graid wrote:
Cedar- a whole bunch of stuff that makes perfect sense


so maybe what i should be saying is "please ask first?" i really don't know.

_________________
Image
sig by naroclie
my DA
http://cedar13.deviantart.com/


Top
 Profile  
 

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:29 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
Posts: 11001
Location: England
Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Cedar wrote:
so maybe what i should be saying is "please ask first?" i really don't know.


I think it's more like this:

Scenario 1: A guy meets another guy and, upon finding out that he's gay, requests that he doesn't hit on him.

Scenario 2: A guy meets a girl (who he doesn't immediately want to have sex with), and requests that she doesn't hit on him.


Scenario 1 happens all the time. Scenario 2 never happens.

_________________
Image

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".


Top
 Profile  
 

A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 pm GMT
Posts: 1085
Location: Southwest Texas
Custom Title: A.B.A.P (As Balla As Possible)
Silvanus wrote:
Scenario 1 happens all the time. Scenario 2 never happens.

Scenario 2 used to happen to me all the time, actually... :oops:

_________________
FIGHT THE POWAHImageImageImageImageFIGHT THE POWAH


Top
 Profile  
 

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
Posts: 11001
Location: England
Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
I mean without any any actual 'hitting on' occurring. Asking people you meet not to hit on you, just in case.

_________________
Image

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".


Top
 Profile  
 

I am Ish, Destroyer of Worlds!
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30 pm GMT
Posts: 10870
Custom Title: I am Ish, Destroyer of Worlds!
Okay, I need to say this because oh my god I need to say it. Because DOMA is fucking unconstitutional.

In America apparently people haven't actually read our constitution, or really looked at History at all.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Meaning, citizens have Freedom of Religion, which means freedom to practice their religion without fear of persecution or harrasment from the government. This does not mean they may use their religion to harassment.

The Ninth Amendment states "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Enumerated rights are those that are not specifically outlined in the Constitution but instead are implied throughout governmental texts, or generally agreed upon by the populous as 'rights'. Since the rights to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were outlineded in the Declaration of Independence.

Let's examine these rights. The right to life meaning the right to living, and isn't marriage a part of life? Liberty, well that's an easy one, meaning freedom, the freedom to choose whom you want to spend your life with. And the pursuit of happiness, well, that one, our fore fathers were referencing ownership of property. By modern definition we could make an argument that it is the pursuit of the former two which results in happiness.

Now that we've established this whole "rights" thing from the constitution, let's talk about the religious argument. Or more specifically; why it holds no ground in our Legistlature or court system. First, let's talk about how in the 11th Article in the Treaty of Tripoli it states "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." The rest goes on to explain how this means that America won't try to interfere with religion in the Muslim state. Regardless, this was a document from 1797 stating that we were not a Christian country.

In 1879 in Reynolds v. United States, the supreme court recognized a seperation of church and state, this was later cemented in 1947 in the case of Everson v. Board of Education (Where Justice Hugo Black wrote: "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state."), and echoed again in Supreme Court cases in 1948,1952,1961,1962,1963,1971,1980,1985,1987,1989,1992,and 1993.

Which means, not only has our constitution, an international treaty and the Supreme Court recognized that religion has no bearing on government in our country, but the entire argument that "the bible says so" is invalid.

What does that make the anti-gay marriage argument? Dust. They have nothing to argue against this.

So why are we even having the argument?

_________________
"You all are a bunch of Characters."


Top
 Profile  
 

Guys I totally write now.
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:53 pm GMT
Posts: 467
Location: Virginian' boonies
Custom Title: Guys I totally write now.
Some people still believe that their religious beliefs are exempt from the first amendment, yay for religious theocracy.


Top
 Profile  
 

Embodiment of contradictions
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:50 pm GMT
Posts: 8007
Location: Alaska
Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
Ishk I said the exact same thing with alot less words on my facebook last week. The very first sentence of the first amendment of the most important document this country has says no bible and they flatout quote the bible. Can we inform Obama of this. Anyone. Can I zipline into a congressional meeting with the stolen constitution National Treasure style and read them the first line.

_________________
Image
i_heart_dvorak wrote:
That's why you're my favorite.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.


Top
 Profile  
 

better than all of you hippeis
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:48 pm GMT
Posts: 484
Location: Middle Earth
Custom Title: better than all of you hippeis
Casually goes a bit off topic.

But this is pretty awesome.

Image

_________________
Characters!™©®


Top
 Profile  
 

Can't find a picture...
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:08 pm GMT 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 pm GMT
Posts: 23
Custom Title: Can't find a picture...
Chad Daddy wrote:
The only excuse that most people have to ban gay marriage is because the bible apparently says it's wrong, which by the way, it doesn't say anything about. As a matter of fact, you can get away with incorrectly quoting the bible a lot today because hardly anybody reads it. Example:

"Having sex with another dude is totally rad. I do it all the time." - God (Exodus 4:20)

Chances are, if you say you're a devout bible reader, you'll back it up without even checking if that statement's in the bible or not. If you actually read the bible, you'll call me out on that, and more than likely beat the hell out of me for saying that. But even if it is in the bible or not, it shouldn't matter because religion should have nothing to do with politics.


Okay. Here we go: to start, I would like to say that the Exodus 4:20 thing was funny. I giggled when I read it. However, I would like to make a correction to another statement (but I'm merely pointing this out, not beating anyone with it)- the Bible actually does condemn same-sex, umm... activities. *cough* In Leviticus, chapters 18 and 20 it talks specifically about this. Lev. 20:13 says "If a man also lieth with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; their blood shall be upon them."

But yes, the Bible shouldn't enter into politics. And yes, there is no mention of marriage in the Constitution.

I personally believe (and not just b/c the Bible says so) that same-sex marriage and well, sex, is wrong. There is no way to justify it, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean that the people are bad people. I don't think that they should get married, but that is my personal view, and I have no right- moral, political, religious, or otherwise- to FORCE someone to adhere to my standards. That's what this whole country is about, right? You can't FORCE anyone to do anything. (Of course, that's all getting a bit out of hand, but what isn't, these days?)

_________________
"A good friend will help you up when you fall. A best friend will laugh and try to trip you again."
- Tamora Pierce

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall have my revenge."
- J.R.R. Tolkien


Top
 Profile  
 

Non-Furry Control Group
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
Posts: 11001
Location: England
Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
RumRunner wrote:
I personally believe (and not just b/c the Bible says so) that same-sex marriage and well, sex, is wrong. There is no way to justify it, in my opinion.


I'd have thought the fact it hurts nobody, and is between consenting adults, is all the justification it needs.

Why is it wrong?

_________________
Image

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".


Top
 Profile  
 

is a spider-child
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:27 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:08 am GMT
Posts: 69741
Location: Northern parts of Sweden
Custom Title: is a spider-child
RumRunner wrote:
Okay. Here we go: to start, I would like to say that the Exodus 4:20 thing was funny. I giggled when I read it. However, I would like to make a correction to another statement (but I'm merely pointing this out, not beating anyone with it)- the Bible actually does condemn same-sex, umm... activities. *cough* In Leviticus, chapters 18 and 20 it talks specifically about this. Lev. 20:13 says "If a man also lieth with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; their blood shall be upon them."


I never said that it didn't say anything about sex, but I will refer back to what I said before. The bible condemns premarital sex, I'm rather sure you'll find it forbidding divorce, it tells you not to eat pork or shellfish, another example of exciting things the bible tells us is that a woman should be stoned to death if she touches a man's genitals to save her husband in a fight (wow). Die-hard biblethumpers have a lot of interesting things to live by if they're going to use it as an excuse to condemn homosexuality. As a Christian I claim that my religion is one of love and respect and support for the equal rights of all. I agree with you however that religion should not be mixed in to politics, I'm very much with you on that one.

But, I have to echo Silv's question; how could it not be justified? If it means people can live happily together and experience love together... I don't see how it could be wrong.

_________________
Image
What were their names again...?


Top
 Profile  
 

The Soul Of Wit
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:59 pm GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
Posts: 20512
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Custom Title: The Soul Of Wit
Live and let love, yo. That's all I got to say about that.

_________________
"Wise men forgive, but only idiots forget." My mother, 8/22/09

"That makes so little sense to me, it can only be sheer genius." Me, 10/6/10

Characters. Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 

Hey kid.
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:03 pm GMT
Posts: 46267
Location: Probably a lab. Wishing I was in bed.
Custom Title: Hey kid.
Also FYI, Leviticus was basically a lot of ancient Jewish property law. Taken into context, that quote probably rings a little more like- "A man cannot treat another man like a woman ie: a piece of property to be bought, married, sold, raped."


But also, yes, rights for everyone. This is the 21st century; the world needs to start acting like it pronto.

_________________
My incredibly sophisticated minions.


Top
 Profile  
 

Embodiment of contradictions
 Post subject: Re: GLBT Rights and What You Think Of Them
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 am GMT 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:50 pm GMT
Posts: 8007
Location: Alaska
Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
Yeah where the fuck are my self-lacing shoes Nike that shit was intro'd back in the 90s.

_________________
Image
i_heart_dvorak wrote:
That's why you're my favorite.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group