THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Personification of Spring
 Post subject: The Hunger Games
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Well, yesterday we got home after a three day vacation (did anyone even notice I left?), and after a long day, before we got to go home, the rest of my family decided to obsess over going to a movie.

Which one? The goddamn Hunger Games.

This was the most mediocre movie I've ever seen in my life. Where to begin? The acting was terrible-people either had the personality of wet cardboard, or were eating the scenery worse than Shatner. What's worse is nome of the characters were likable. They were either people I couldn't care less about, or were such blatantly evil I'm surprised they weren't kicking burning puppies.

The plot, though, wasn't much to work with to begin with. It's highly implausible, mostly-it's another post apocalyptic universe story, the one that's been done to death in every high school required reading novel. It's contrived, unbelievable and just plain not compelling. I also find the technology they use just plain silly. I don't care what time period you put it in, I don't fond it believable that sort of technology could ever exist (who the hell makes demon dogs just pop up out of the ground?).

Also, the names. Who would name their kids Katniss and Primrose? The only normal named one is Peter, and everyone says it wrong-it's like they become briefly British every time they say it.

Overall, probably the worst movie I've ever been subjected to. Period.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

cheese
 Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:16 pm GMT 

Custom Title: cheese
His name is Peeta, so you're right about the name thing.
The names get more normal in the second book, though, but I get where you're coming from.

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
MusicMan108 wrote:

Batnipples would like a word with you.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 pm GMT 

I've never seen/read The Hunger Games, but I can understand your anger at it being highschool level emo melodrama, which is what I always imagined it being. (Not really fair to judge something I've never seen I know.)

Dystopia is best when actually done right; like in the violent soul reformatting world of "A Clockwork Orange" or the downright freaky society of "Brave New World", or the in the extreme cyberpunky social decay of "Blade Runner".

If it's alright to give advice I would recommend seeing another, better, movie to erase the taste of the last one. If science-fiction interests you at all I would recommend Moon. It's got quite a bit of plausible technology, a tiny cast of characters who are pretty well fleshed out and sympathetic, and the world (while having a dark streak) is at least trying to take care of itself and improve itself in the background, even though some people use questionable means to do so.

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 am GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Hrmm, yes, everyone seems to be talking about the Hunger Games at the moment.

It seems extremely similar in concept to Battle Royale... can anyone enlighten me about how far Hunger Games is its made of its own stuff?

(I'm not one of those people who bark about books and movies 'stealing' their ideas from previous books or movies very often, by the way... for example, I don't think Avatar was just Pocahontas in Space. But Hunger Games seems like a very similar concept to Battle Royale. I don't think it's plagiarism or anything; I believe the author when she says she hadn't read B R, but I'm wondering how much of a unique experience I would get from H G).

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 am GMT 

I don't believe you. Well, specifically, I don't trust your opinion. Mostly because of this:
MusicMan108 wrote:

If you think The Hunger Games was bad, fine. If you think it was god-awful, sure, plausible opinion. But worst you've ever seen? What are you, 8?

Have you ever seen a Happy Madison movie? The Ugly Truth? A Serbian Film? How about anything, and I do mean anything from Pure Flix? How about the Guinea Pig franchise? Nukie? Battlefield Earth, that piece of vile religious propaganda?

Try watching Pure Flix's Old Fashioned and tell me if you've seen worse. I dare you.