THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Boss Lady
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 pm GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
The handgun is based on the Beretta 1919 6.35mm...which wasn't specifically designed to be garter-concealed, but was considered a pocket-pistol (and was produced long before the 1934, of course).

I think I actually went so far as to mention on the web site somewhere that the fordor is a slight anachronism, being based a 1929 Model A. The first Model A's were not available to the public until December of 1927.

Always fun to see some people pay attention to this stuff, though. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 pm GMT 

Since you like prose so much, I'm surprised that you haven't used a Jordan car yet.

An ad from the June 1923 Saturday Evening Post for the Jordan Playboy:

"SOMEWHERE west of Laramie there's a bronco-busting girl who knows what I’m talking about.
She can tell what a sassy pony, that’s a cross between greased lighting and the place where it hits, can do with eleven hundred pounds of steel and action when he's going high, wide and handsome.
The truth is - the Playboy was built for her.
Built for the lass whose, face is brown with the sun when the day is done of revel and romp and race.
She loves the cross of the wild and the tame.
There's a savor of links about that car - of laughter and lilt and light - a hint of old loves - and saddle and quirt. It’s a brawny thing - yet a graceful thing for the sweep o' the Avenue.
Step into the Playboy when the hour grows dull with things gone dead and stale.
Then start for the land of real living with the spirit of the lass who rides, lean and rangy, into the red horizon of a Wyoming twilight."

Not exactly a rhyme, but historically remembered by car historians.

member of IWW, IU 660
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm GMT 

Custom Title: member of IWW, IU 660
Tracy wrote:
The handgun is based on the Beretta 1919 6.35mm...which wasn't specifically designed to be garter-concealed, but was considered a pocket-pistol (and was produced long before the 1934, of course).

I think I actually went so far as to mention on the web site somewhere that the fordor is a slight anachronism, being based a 1929 Model A. The first Model A's were not available to the public until December of 1927.

Always fun to see some people pay attention to this stuff, though. XD

feh, a .25, ah well, it's better than having to resort to a knife *carries a Beretta 21A in .22 LR as a backup piece*

Boss Lady
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 pm GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Quote:
feh, a .25, ah well, it's better than having to resort to a knife

Yes, well, that's why Zib called it a peashooter. The point of it being in the comic wasn't to impress anyone with it's (not so) incredible stopping power. ;)

member of IWW, IU 660
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:38 pm GMT 

Tracy wrote:
Quote:
feh, a .25, ah well, it's better than having to resort to a knife

Yes, well, that's why Zib called it a peashooter. The point of it being in the comic wasn't to impress anyone with it's (not so) incredible stopping power. ;)

you know your weapons, are you a firearms owner by any chance ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:50 pm GMT 

Caliber isn't everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:11 pm GMT 

[quote="paltcon"]Caliber isn't everything.[/quote]

Not necessarily true.

Most people in the military lament the downfall of the .45 ACP round being dropped for the 9mm round. While the M92 has more ammo capacity, the 1911 had better stopping power.

Back at the turn of the century, the Moro Rebellion showed a flaw that the Army made when switching to a .380 pistol from the previous Colt .45.

The Muslims attacking would get shot, but they would not be taken down because the bullets had no stopping power. Which led to the developement of the .45 ACP round.

But not only is that pea shooter a smaller caliber, it is probably very inaccurate from any range. Thats why most people prefer a small pistol with a large caliber. IE S&W40 or .357 magnum, for their CCW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:20 pm GMT 

Also,

This is a small request :P But I'd like to see somebody bring out a Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" Favored by Churchill

member of IWW, IU 660
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:31 pm GMT 

d_crest13 wrote:
Also,

This is a small request :P But I'd like to see somebody bring out a Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" Favored by Churchill

not just Churchill, but it's also the driving gun of William Murderface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:02 pm GMT 

I'm not too sure, I've seen plenty 9MM Vs. .45 threads on gun forums and they all put actual caliber rather low lon the list and take shot placement and muzzle velocity as more important.
The of course there are those who say th 10MM combines the best of both worlds but I really don't know anything about ballistics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6