THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 89  Next

...inscrutable look...
 Post subject: Re: Dumb Questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 pm GMT 

Location: I've gone to find myself. If you see me before I get back, tell me to stay where I am.
Custom Title: ...inscrutable look...
wow, that's tall for the 20s...

I can has [random] blog!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:23 pm GMT 

Thank ya kindly, Ms Tracy. :)

Devil's Advocate
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Devil's Advocate
I've got a really dumb question! Like really, really dumb*! 8D

Lady Tracy, Is Mordecai supposed to be good lookin'? As in, did you consciously decide to make ol' Mordie easy on the eyes, or did it just sort of 'happen' during the sketching/development process? His human!self is quite a looker and his kitty!self has to be at least handsome enough (by kitty-person standards) to attract the attention of the chica in Lackadaisy Valentino

*Remember kids, don't exhaust yourself into giddiness by learning to waltz and then post in forums. It only results in silliness

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 pm GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Well, his appearance revolves a lot around 'unapproachable' as a theme. The idea that he'd be relatively handsome, but in an impeccably frigid fashion was part of the whole. The formal manner of speaking, the formal attire, the intellectual-looking glasses, and the go-thither stare were about as close as he could get, practically speaking, to wrapping himself in barbed wire while still appearing respectable.
'Attractive' was really not the intended sum of all of that, but if he is, in spite of himself, there's a certain amusing irony to it.

Show me your teeth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Show me your teeth
Sorry to jump off topic but Faebee your avatar just made my day. Thanks I needed that. :lol:

Devil's Advocate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:20 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Devil's Advocate
Tracy wrote:
'Attractive' was really not the intended sum of all of that, but if he is, in spite of himself, there's a certain amusing irony to it.

Yes, indeed :lol:

Legion of Fangirls: Oh, Mordecai *swoon*

Mordecai: *stares blankly, pokes fangirls with a stick, departs*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:52 pm GMT 

Quote:
He’s not an orphan, but because of his particular family circumstances, he spent a lot of his childhood in Nina’s care. You’ll learn more about his background in the comic.

Oo, I'm leaning towards a deceased mother and a deadbeat/nonexistent father who left them.

Here's my question:
Is Rocky an original member of the jazz band? Did that bring him to Lackadaisy, was he at Lackadaisy before he joined the band, or did they kind of go hand in hand?

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:25 pm GMT 
Administrator

Rocky was not an original member of the band, but joined after the band had settled in St. Louis and had already affiliated itself with Lackadaisy. There's a photo of the original band in the 'Lackadaisy Scrapbook' artwork, actually - the marriage of the band and speakeasy went somewhat hand in hand with Atlas and Mitzi's conjugal vows.
In other words, joining the band linked Rocky to Lackadaisy forthwith. =)

Pumpkin Pie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:50 am GMT 

Custom Title: Pumpkin Pie
"Bugsy Siegel or Meyer Lansky mold" was applied to Mordecai earlier in the thread.

Let's elaborate on that: I often read that Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel is charming. Perhaps the most charming as far as syndicate killers can go... That sounds quite contradicting to someone who is unapproachable. Mr. Heller lacks the social grace to be considered "charming". I'm supposing you meant you only took to heart the vicious aspects of Benjamin?

(The Valentino strip often reminds me of Little Auldie, aka Israel "Icepick Willie" Alderman. Since I cannot find a webpage detailing Alderman, I'll say this: He ran a second-story speakeasy, killed 11 patrons via favorite weapon of choice, and loved it a lot. Think Dark Knight's Joker happy.)

Mordecai - "Little man" or "Follower of Marduk". Both meanings are quite ironic, since it's been explained this character is of average height (but seems shorter because he's often seen aside men taller than him); and he doesn't seem like an overtly religious man.

Elijah - "The Lord is my God"... this makes me think he does have some faith. Does he not attend synagogue but believes in a God anyhow?

About Rocky and Calvin's deceased parents - Are they dead as a result of serving America during The Great War? The two father's would've been drafted about 15 years before the current timeline... and the number of casualties were massive.

Is Calvin's trigger-happy mode a result of Rocky's merciless bullying during childhood? This could be how Calvin developed such an interesting 'outlet' for his pent-up frustrations.

Finally (forgive my morbid curiousity): If Mordecai, Nico, and Serafine actually made it to a point where they were placed on death-row... What would their last meals be?

[/dumb questions]

Sorry for the length of this... I honestly didn't intend my line of questioning to be so long. :oops:

“Dress impressively like the French, speak with authority like the Germans, have blond hair like the Scandinavians and speak of no American presidents except Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy.” Sylvaine Rouy Neves

Not quite good enough
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:58 am GMT 

Custom Title: Not quite good enough
Not at all... not at all. I found your questioning to be very interesting, and I also dearly await the answers just as you probably are. *Applauds for new member awesomeness*

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:33 am GMT 
Administrator

Ben Siegel was notoriously charming...but that wasn't my point, really. The comparison had more to do with the fact that he and some of his contemporaries possessed a head for business in addition to their inclination toward..well, thuggery, which got them well ahead in their arena. Lanksy was much better about not mucking it up when it came to money matters, though, and he had the good sense to keep a low profile, unlike Bugsy, who was quite the Hollywood gadabout.

In any case, when I originally said that, I wasn't trying to insinuate much - just trying to delineate between that particular 'species' of gangster and the more unhinged, less calculating types such as the constituents of the Barrow gang.

Quote:
Does he not attend synagogue but believes in a God anyhow?

If he does, that sort of spiritualism takes a back seat to the more corporeal underworld pantheon surrounding him.
I could ask him some time, but I suspect he'd just lob some Nietzsche at me in an effort to avoid real conversation. :wink:

Quote:
About Rocky and Calvin's deceased parents - Are they dead as a result of serving America during The Great War? The two father's would've been drafted about 15 years before the current timeline... and the number of casualties were massive.

Rocky's father is not deceased. Calvin's would have been just a little too old to be drafted into the Great War if Nina's comparative age is any indication.

Quote:
Finally (forgive my morbid curiousity): If Mordecai, Nico, and Serafine actually made it to a point where they were placed on death-row... What would their last meals be?

Nico wouldn't be picky, but he sure would appreciate some gumbo, I'm sure.
Serafine wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make a show of it. Hot peppers and rum. (Except they'd probably deny her the rum. She might ask for fresh rooster blood instead or something equally wacky.)
Mordecai would be too finicky to eat anything served to him in prison. They'd have to force feed him goulash to keep him alive long enough to execute him. :P

Show me your teeth
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am GMT 

I must ask, other than that picture from the animal rescue center. Where did the insipration for Zib come from?

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 am GMT 
Administrator

Quote:
Where did the insipration for Zib come from?

From music, mostly. He's like the emcee in my head whenever I'm listening to a lot of jazz and swing and such.
My mother had a cat named Zibber at one point too, long before I was born. I stole and repurposed the name. ;P

Show me your teeth
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:03 am GMT 

One other thing even though Zib is pretty much a coward. Why is it that I see him and Serafine getting along well?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm GMT 

Has Mordecai ever considered someone a friend or even has he loved someone?

Why do I think that in the end Mordecai will be A LOT more than a secondary character? (Almost main character) So far you have built the character exceptionally well, and that is a conscious effort. There is such a grand amount of strenght and charisma on Mordecai's persona that I do not believe you dont have BIG plans for him.

I already have theories about that, but I would like to hear an answer from the creator :)

Also, have you already underlined the entire story or are you following it spontaneously?

Las question just for fun:

Mordecai vs Crazy Calvin. Who would win? :p

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 89  Next