THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 89  Next

Post subject: Re: Dumb Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:04 am GMT 

I have one

When Freckle was a kitten, did he have a stuffed human named Hobbes?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:26 am GMT 

Here's another one

in Lackadaisy scrapbook, in that picture of Ivy and her 2 friends, one of them has short blond hair. and when tracy shows up(like in her interview with mordicai) she also has short blond hair, so is that cat based on her?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 am GMT 

TBman256 wrote:
Here's another one

in Lackadaisy scrapbook, in that picture of Ivy and her 2 friends, one of them has short blond hair. and when tracy shows up(like in her interview with mordicai) she also has short blond hair, so is that cat based on her?

I asked her the same question(if Ivy's two best friends were based off of Tracy and her friend, Candy Palmer) and she replied that although some characters are bits, pieces and short conceptions on the people she herself has encountered in real life, none of the characters she created are one-dimensionally based off of any real persons.

I hope that answers it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 am GMT 

thanks rubberbend :)

let's see, what else...

do they have 9 lives?

do they always land on their feet?

do the buddhists look like mr. bigglesworth from austin powers?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm GMT 

Hi, Tracy. I have a rather random mix of questions for you:

1. I noticed in "Correspondence" that Rocky mentioned Vivaldi, but who is his favorite composer?
2. You have characters from all over the eastern part of the US, but will you ever have any from out West? I'm sure that even in the '20s LA had plenty of gangsters.
3. You've said/written several times that making the characters cats is more of a tool for characterization than anything else, but I'm curious as to what form they take while running around your head. Do they look like they do in the comic, are they humans, or are they reminiscent of the musical "Cats", just without the leg-warmers and singing and dancing?
4. And lastly, an appropriately dumb question. Which of your characters is best at math and would he/she mind helping me with my calculus homework?

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Erg. I feel like I just wrote a research paper. I let these pile up for far too long and I'm very sorry about that. This should catch things up to the most recently asked questions, though.

Quote:
Who will be the first Lackadaisy crew will meet the savoys? or will they meet separately by accident? Like Serafine or Nico, Probably rocky will meet them first.
Rocky and Freckle will meet Serafine, than nico.

Maybe they should all get together for a little soiree at Wick’s house.

Quote:
How old was Rocky when he started learning/playing Violin? Out of curiosity among other things.

He had some exposure at a young age because his mother played classical violin, but it was later in life while he was on the road (or the rails) that he picked it up again and learned to fiddle...and learned that wasps sting repeatedly.

Quote:
Other question: You asked whether I meant that there will be rifles in pursuit of whiskey or if there would be sniping with drunk people, if you felt like it, could you give us a pic of Mordecai drunk off whiskey off trying to shoot squirrels with a 30-06 Sniper Rifle?? PLEASE?!!

You can find some drunken Mordecai here. He sneered at me and refused to cooperate when I asked him to fire on some squirrels, though. Apparently he feels that sort of behavior is beneath him. When pressed about all the other lifeforms he didn’t seem to have any qualms about shooting, he sneered harder, so I let the subject rest. ;)

Quote:
1. If Mordecai goes monkey over some poor schmuck sitting on the wrong side of the car, and goes nuts after his cufflinks go missing, and kills a driver because he had a crusty nose, then how can he stand those few little tufts of hair that stick out on his forehead?

Those tufts I draw on the male characters are really just a sort of cartoon shorthand for men’s somewhat homogenous 1920s hairstyles. Cropped hair fits rather awkwardly on a cat head, I find, so I opted to for something I thought had a simpler visual appeal. (So. they lack that particular detail, but at the same time, it allows me a little more flexibility with their head shapes than I have with the female characters.)

From a more in-context standpoint, although Mordecai’s meticulously fashioned appearance might be set a bit askew by the frequent donning of hats, his rather obsessive-compulsive bugbears tend to be fairly specific and don’t seem to include stray strands of hat-hair...so long as it’s not too asymmetrical and so long as no one mentions it and sends him into a flailing spiral of hyper-self-consciousness.

Quote:
2. How old is Viktor? I'm sorry if someone's asked that question before, I'm afraid I'm new here.

41, though Graid already addressed this one. He’s pretty creaky for his age. Life’s been like one prolonged physiological demolition derby for him.

Quote:
3. Whatever happened to that photoshop tutorial that had Mordecai in it? Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I can't seem to find it.

Graid beat me to this one too, but it’s over here.

Quote:
So, will the new character page have the same text descriptions, or are you changing everything?

A lot of them will be edited a bit, and new descriptions for characters I hadn’t included before will be added.

Quote:
1.- Just for fun: Mordecai at his best vs Victor at his best, who wins in a fight to the death?

That’s a difficult one to answer. It would be very circumstance-dependent. In a brawl excluding everything but physical force, it’s fairly certain Viktor would have quite the upper hand but, then, I can’t imagine Mordecai being silly enough to show up for a fist fight without a semi-automatic. They both have a tendency to just use whatever is nearby as a weapon in a pinch too, so I guess impromtu chairs, broken bottles or gardening shears might have to factor in. Still, Mordecai wouldn’t have to be within arm’s (or chair’s) reach at all to win with a single well placed shot. That’s not to say Viktor can’t shoot - anyone can blow lots of holes in things with a shotgun - but his approach is definitely not so practiced and refined as Mordecai’s.
...And so on and so forth. Lacking a specific scenario, my analysis just goes in circles. =P

Quote:
2.- Why do I get the vibe that Mitzi and Mordecai used to have "certain" feelings for each other?

They definitely have certain feelings for each other, but they’re probably not the specific certain feelings you’re referring to.

Quote:
3.- How long until Ivy breaks poor Calvin's heart? (And legs, and arms, and tail)

I suppose she’ll have to race to do that before Rocky breaks poor Calvin’s brain.

Quote:
4.- Have you ever done a human sketch of Atlas?

Recently - there’s one included here.

Quote:
1. In real life, do you use fairly confusing words? Like, do your conversations(at least your end of it) sound like it came from a textbook or literary masterpiece or something?

In real life, I’m rather introverted and tend toward reticence because when I do speak, I’m sure my lack of social graces and conversational skill becomes apparent. I like unusual and outmoded words, though, and I enjoy putting them to use in writing where I’m slightly less prone to rambling incoherently.

Quote:
2. Is Ivy optimistic? It may seem onto bubbly ditzy-ness, but her character is more-or-less hard to handle. (Or read.)

Is she optimistic? Sure...except when she’s not. “Fickle teenager” is probably the most apt phrase I can use to describe Ivy, although hopefully she’s got some less transient, redeeming features stowed away somewhere too. ;)

Quote:
3. Besides Rocky and Freckle, have there been any other real-life kitties who have directly and/or indirectly influenced the Lackadaisy cast?

Mitzi, Ivy, Viktor, Mordecai, Nina and Serafine had some real-life feline influences as well.

Quote:
4. Where do you get your research material? Is it from the library, Google or an explicit dysfunction of both? And care to share some tips???

I find it in history books picked up at Borders, out of print books bought on the cheap from small retailers on Amazon, from Google, from actually visiting the places I intend to reference, and generally from anywhere I can dig up some pertinent information.
I’m not sure I have any useful tips to dole out...except to say that it’s always wise to double or triple check your facts, and be especially wary of information found online.

Quote:
5. In Scrapbook, is the photo of Viktor in army gear a picture from WWI? It seems too obvious but I can't help questioning it.

Yes, it’s from WWI, in a trench somewhere in France.

Quote:
6. How long was Rocky's charade with the circus?

Not quite two years. It was short-lived, but not as short-lived as most of his exploits.

Quote:
7. We all know what time is the perfect time for writing, producing and illustrating Lackadaisy(post-midnight to early morning) but what specific place?

I usually work in a spare bedroom in my house that’s been repurposed to serve as a computer room/art studio - here’s a small photo. I also do a lot of my pencil drawing on the living room couch, especially in summer when the upstairs rooms in this old house are a bit too toasty.

Quote:
8. Will new main characters arrive later in the scene? (Sometimes I hate it when that happens, specially on sitcoms and such. But let's wait and see.

Important characters will arrive later. You might say one of them would qualify as main..ish.

Quote:
9. Rocky's pretty well-versed, and some additional frattering came across my head, so that has me wondering: who have received their diplomas(be it high school, or college) and if college, what courses did they take?

Secondary education at a college or university wasn’t quite as commonplace then as it is today. The social sphere the comic deals with is also not comprised of the sort of individuals that would have had the privilege to attend. Wick and Ivy are really the only characters in the main cast with college backgrounds, except that Wick left before graduating, and Ivy is only just beginning.
Wick, Ivy, Freckle, Mordecai, Lacy, Asa and Atlas would be the only characters who saw their primary education through to the end.

Quote:
10. How many years of self-teaching did you undergo to produce your works, traditional and digital? (I'm more keen on knowing the digital; and please type in the years using a mouse, and years using a tablet, because I have a gut feeling you went through using a mouse.

I’ve been working digitally for about 10 years. Approximately two of those years were spent coloring with a mouse. I’ve been working with traditional media since childhood, so it’s been upwards of 20 years of practice now, I guess.
Quote:
Do any of the characters vote? If so, who are they gonna vote for in 1928, Hoover or Smith? And do any of them consider themselves part of a political party? If so, which? =P

Wick always votes and leans republican (which, believe it or not, was considered the more progressive party at the time). Rocky might vote if he could remember to show up at the polls on the right day, but he probably would have marked his vote down for Houdini or Buster Keaton instead of the usual candidates anyway. Mitzi’s vote (like most everyone else’s, in their blithe shortsightedness) would probably have been for Hoover since Prohibition is her bread and butter. Nina votes too - Smith might’ve won her over, being of the Catholic persuasion, but some of his social policies would’ve rubbed her the wrong way. Viktor’s too jaded about political institutions to be bothered, and even equipped with someone else’s nomenclature, I doubt Mordecai would risk showing his face at the polls where he might find his poster staring back at him.

Quote:
1) What's everybody's birthdays?
Quote:
It's been bugging me for AGES and I don't know why (an insistent need to know random information about awesome, but still fictional, characters, I suppose, but everyone else here seems to be suffering from this exact same thing, so I suppose it's normal enough). Can we maybe get some birthdays thrown this way?? I know in the character archive, Miss Tracy, you give us everyone's date of birth (Mitzi being the exception) and everything, but could you please elaborate on what month/day?

Hehe. It’s not really terribly pertinent information about the characters, but...

Rocky - December 19, 1904
Ivy - May 20, 1909
Freckle - March 10, 1909
Mitzi - September 25 (good luck getting her to give you a year)
Wick - January 11, 1895
Viktor - April 16, 1886
Asa - August 19, 1884
Mordecai - March 28, 1899
Serafine - sometime between October 25 and November 1, 1902
Nico - sometime in late July, 1900
Zib - February 15 (about as likely to divulge his actual birth year as Mitzi)
Atlas - January 3, 1884
Nina - May 13, 1879
Lacy - September 6, 1904

Quote:
2) what's everybody's favorite foods?

Rocky likes pancakes with maple syrup and coffee...with maple syrup. Freckle likes sandwiches (well, sandwiches that don’t include drain-sardines). Serafine and Nico like jambalaya, gumbo or any such mixture, but only if it’s nearly spicy enough to cause internal hemorrhaging. Anything in the soul food department and the rum department probably suits their fancy too. Asa likes hard candies, and I imagine he would frequent Al’s Steakhouse, a gastronomic St. Louis landmark. Viktor’s not picky. Viktor likes meat...but probably misses the sorts of lamb dishes, pork and sausage goulashes, potato dumplings and other such hearty, rural, soul-warming foods one does not so easily find in the urbanized corners of the States. Ivy has a minor weakness for petit fours. Most of Wick’s caloric intake probably comes from coffee and whiskey (or scotch on a good day) but I’m sure when he’s not too busy for a proper dinner, he’s not opposed to a nice porterhouse ...followed by some dessert wine or an apricot brandy. Everything probably tastes like cigarettes to Zib by now, but he likes Italian food when he actually has an appetite. Mitzi likes gin and chocolate. Also truffles...which she has had precisely once. Mordecai’s favorite foods are the sorts he’s prepared himself in which the major ingredients are separate or at easily identified, kosher, and containing nothing that smells suspiciously like mayonnaise.

Quote:
Often I wonder if Tracy makes up the answers to half of these as she goes, because it sometimes amazes me what she has answers for. Personally, I'd be really grateful for all the questions, I bet they're great for character development! =D

I don’t pull the answers completely out of midair (not most of them, anyway ;)), but some questions do challenge me to think about something I hadn’t thoroughly worked out yet. It’s good creative exercise.

Quote:
1. Once prohibition is repealed, will Lackadaisy become a legitimate bar?

Perhaps...if it survives that long. =)

Quote:
2. Why don't people slap Rocky more often? Not that I don't find his comments funny and oftentimes downright hilarious, but goddammit if he doesn't get just plain annoying sometimes.

As much as it’s probably warranted, I can’t dedicate every page to the smacking and punching of Rocky. It may not seem like it, but there’s a little bit of plot to cover too.

Quote:
1. In Deadeye there appears to be a hanging picture propped backwards against the wall. Is it down and turned around for a reason, or was the decorating in Viktor's place just neglected?

What’s your impression of it?
(I don’t ask to be evasive - I’m glad you noticed)

Quote:
2. Is there something with Ivy and names that start with 'C'? And what kind of horrible, torturous injuries did Viktor inflict on poor Claude and Cecil?

There seems to be a pattern, but it’s probably as superficially meaningless as most of her romantic exploits have been. ;)
Claude and Cecil? Well, I suspect they’ve been cowed into keeping their mouths shut about what (or who) happened to them.

Quote:
3. Did Ms. M take all of the photos hanging on her walls in Portraiture? Madam Butler said something about Mitzi being a bit of a pest when a Brownie camera was in her hand. There's a drawing of Mitzi and said camera in Hodgepodge on deviantArt, I believe.

She’s responsible for a good many of them.

Quote:
4. In Clockwise, the words 'Non Alitem Memoria' are on the clock behind human! Wick's head. Translation-?

I think someone answered already, but it’s “Tempus fugit, non autem memoria” or “Time flies, but not memory.”

Quote:
5. I believe I read someone mention some sort of Marigold 'uniform' thing, including a red tie, suit, white shirt, ect. In Clockwork, human! Mordecai seems to be wearing said 'uniform' (though I'm not an expert in fashion, so I could be wrong), but if he is, then shouldn't there be a marigold in his coat pocket-?

He usually dresses in dark, three piece suits anyway, he didn’t always work with Marigold, and even when he does in the story timeline, the corsage isn’t always quite necessary.

Quote:
6. Why is there a crack in Viktor's door? He broke the window after, um, disposing of the questionable sandwhich, so it begs the question of who he was slamming the door after...and is there a particular reason why there's a small wall around the front of Viktor's place, but no one else's?

I appreciate that you noticed these things. Hopefully, though, such details add up to say a little something about Viktor’s existence without my prattling on about their specific meanings. (I feel some things are only diminished when authors or artists append too much explanation or hastily fill in all the blanks instead of allowing readers to either put the pieces together or interpret as they will.)

Quote:
How did Atlas know Ivy's parents? And were Ivy and Atlas close?

Ivy’s father was a friend of Atlas’ through their school-age years, and later became a sort of business ally in trafficking liquor through Missouri and into to St. Louis.
Ivy and Atlas weren’t strangers, but weren’t especially close either. Atlas would have seemed a sort of benevolent but lofty and distant figure to Ivy, which probably only fed into her fascination with the mysterious little underground world he reigned over.

Quote:
I personally would like to know more about Mordecai. Is he serious about his comments or is he simply facetious?

Which comments? He doesn’t have much of a funny bone. He’s usually quite serious, even though some of the things he says are so callous or socially unaware, it probably sounds like he’s joking or being sarcastic.

Quote:
1. What is Zippy's maiden name?

Weiss

Quote:
2. What exactly caused Hannah's death?

Unspecified fever - typhus, influenza, miliary tuberculosis or some such. Whatever it was, Mordecai seems convinced it was directly related to ratty, crowded, stuffy, filthy tenement living conditions.

Quote:
4. How did Rocky's mother and Freckle's father die?

In fairly mundane ways.

Quote:
5. I might just be in clean freak mode, but what are the little speckles beneath the picture of Atlas and crew on Intro 2? They're also there beside Rocky in Formaldehyde.

Messy art I need to clean up...probably stray pencil marks that inadvertently wound up with digital panel border around them.

Quote:
6. In Retinue, Wick mentions that it's a holiday weekend. Which holiday would he be talking about?

Memorial Day

Quote:
7. Would you ever consider posting a quick sketch, doesn't have to be really detailed, of the front Seraphine's dress in Preview 0014? I'm considering making such a dress over my completely-free-and-boring summer vacation.

I’m probably so late in getting to this, the time has passed. If not, let me know and I’ll do a sketch for you (if you’re even still here). I’m sorry for my poor timing.

Quote:
8. Do any characters (besides Mitzi, Rocky, and the band) know how to play a musical instrument?

Not in any notable fashion. Nina played the piano and a little violin once upon a time. Ivy had formal piano instruction when she was younger, but probably found it stuffy and dull, and was glad to be done with it.

Quote:
9. In Rendezvous, Mitzi says: "Oh, supine and bloody, but he seemed to be enjoying whatever he was hallucinating about." What was he hallucinating about?

Viktor would never tell....even if he could remember. ;)

Quote:
10. Catnip-? Just because it would be extremely funny to see, say, Mordecai go absolutely nuts if someone sticks a hand full of the stuff under his nose...and we all know what amount of destruction ROCKY would cause...

I don’t think it would do much for him. The characters are cats in picture more than in practice. Otherwise they’d be far too distracted chasing after loose strings and flying insects to run a bootlegging operation.

Quote:
11. I only noticed it now, but besides the suspiciously down-faced pictures, what are the papers behind that dismal-looking plant in Viktor's apartment?

It’s a collection of Katzenjammer Kids strips he cut out of the funny pages, of course.
...No, really, they’re letters.

Quote:
Am I the only one, or does anyone else think that Mordecai needs to get smacked more often?

It would only be fair if he were smacked at least as often as Rocky is. Unfortunately, he’s also far more likely to retaliate than Rocky is.

Quote:
Hi there, just wondering if, timeline wise, this comic will continue past 1927, or if the whole of its story line will take place in this year?

Right now, the story is covering a series of events taking place over a very tight little timeline, but Volume 3 ventures beyond 1927.

Quote:
How come it feels like there's more animals here in the forums than people?

Huh? Was my cat walking on the keyboard again? I wish he’d log out of my account before doing that.

Quote:
Anyways: What's going to happen with the farmer's land (considering the buildings burned down)? Any inheritors?

Sadly, I don’t think they left behind any direct progeny. I guess it’s up to the pigs to carry on the family legacy.

Quote:
Were the cats in the comic's ancestors saber-toothed tigers?

I suppose if I had to draw the Lackadaisified equivalent of a neanderthal, it’d look something like a smilodon. =P

Quote:
1. In Scrapbook, there is a picture of Mitzi inside of a watch. It appears to be the first picture taken by the Photomajig, since it has a shoulder, the same dress, same pose, same face, ect.
Wick has a picture of Mitzi in his watch-?
I had rather hoped it would be Mordecai's watch....

Mordecai isn’t that sentimental...or at least not in the traditional way. Also, his watch is open-faced without the hunter case in which a photo might be kept.

Quote:
2. In Preview 0018, is the guy sitting opposite of Atlas perhaps Ivy's father? They sure look alike...and did Mitzi take that photo?

Yes and yes.

Quote:
my turn. um... okay, will there be another clamctic fire fight to wrap up the second book as in the first one? It would make sense, wouldn't it? But who would be the opposing side...?

Pigs!
No, wait...I rewrote that part.
If you stick around and if you’re patient with my terrible update schedule, you’ll see. =)

Quote:
There was this sketch where Wick looks all messy (shirt unbuttoned, all wide-eyed, messy hair etc) and beneath it there's the date 1929. What's that supposed to mean? Somebody dear to him dies?
Or worse - Rocky with the tire iron in the living room??

It was just a doodle from early in the character development phase of his probable reaction the 1929’s infamous stock market crash. Sorry it’s not as significant or spicy as you’d hoped, but he’ll have other opportunities to make similarly horrified faces before 1929.
(If I were a bigger asshole, I’d post spoiler drawings all the time and then never explain them, but I already feel sufficiently assholish answering so many of the questions here with more questions or variations on “you’ll see!”)

Quote:
1) Will any of the Lackadaisy characters visit Atlas' grave? I can just picture Mordecai kneeling before the grave with his head bowed, or Mitzi stroking the words engraved on the tomb that says something like "Gone But Not Forgotten". I can even see Wick coming to the grave to ask for advice on his relationship with Mitzi

Visiting his grave would be much like acknowledging and accepting that he’s gone, and certain characters don’t seem able to reconcile with that yet That’s not to say cemeteries won’t get any screen time, though.

Quote:
2) I'm sorry if I'm over-analyzing, but is there any particular symbolism behind the butterfly? If there is, it seems to have a close affiliation with Freckle; its death in his childhood tramautized him when he was most vulnerable, and in "Heartstrings", it hovers almost directly above him as a tense and dark discussion between Asa and Mitzi takes places. Both incidents seem to mark a beginning and an end for the character, the latter situation drawing him closer into the world of crime while risking further loss of whatever innocence he may retain. I feel so silly for asking this; will the butterfly make any future appearences, and does it/will it have a connection to an other member of this comic's cast?

Interesting analysis.
It doesn’t exactly represent another character, and it’s not exactly representative of the loss of innocence either. The way I think of it is difficult to articulate, but I suppose it’s kind of an incarnation of the idea that something has gone askew for him and some part of his world his a little backwards as a result. Everyone likes butterflies, after all...and then there’s Freckle who, for some reason, is perhaps not experiencing life with quite the same capacity for ease and enjoyment.

Quote:
3) Is there an alert system on Lackadaisy that can inform followers that there is a new comic up online? If not, could one be considered? I don't know how much work is involved in setting one up, but if it is too difficult or time-consuming then please ignore the request.

There’s an RSS feed, a Twitter account, a Facebook page, and a DeviantArt page that all announce when updates occur. Here are the links for those things:
http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/rss
http://twitter.com/LackadaisyCats
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lackadais ... 0607231166
http://tracyjb.deviantart.com

Quote:
4) In Preview 0021, you described a Lackadaisy-related project that was connected to that awesome car. Can you go into any further detail about this project?

It’s for a little game, actually, but present circumstances have relegated the project to on-hold status for right now. Hopefully we’ll be able to return to it soon, though.

Quote:
5) I apologize if this has been asked before: Is there a character or expression that you enjoy drawing the most or the least?

I find blank and neutral expressions boring and almost unnatural to draw. I prefer to keep the characters’ expressions reactive to the situation at hand, and I guess I have the most fun experimenting with drawing expressions that are combinations of two or more simultaneous emotions. Every character’s face will tend to wear these sorts of expressions a bit differently and it can yield some pretty amusing results. The more extreme expressions are always the most fun to draw too - it’s the sort of stuff that makes me laugh while I work.

Quote:
6) Is the writing process more challenging or fun than the drawing process, or do you like to do one as much as the other?

It varies. Some days the writing comes more naturally than others. I enjoy it for the most part, but I’m not much of a writer, and I struggle with that part more than I do with the art (even if the art is usually more time consuming).

Quote:
Okay, so since Nina's Irish, I'm guessing that Calvin also has an Irish brogue, so does that mean Rocky's parents were Irish as well, and if so, does he also have an Irish brogue?

Rocky’s mother was Irish, but his father was more of a heathen mongrel scallawag (if you ask Nina, anyway).

Quote:
And whatever did happen to Rocky's parent's.

One died some time ago One seems to have wandered off in Rocky’s prior absence.

Quote:
And earlier in the comic, he said he "Didn't want to leave again." So what made him leave in the first place?

This will be explained in the course of the comic.

Quote:
And whatever happened to Freckle's father, does he hae something to do with how he gets so crazy sometimes?

He has something to do with Freckle’s Freckle-isms, but not in an entirely direct way.

Quote:
Someone mentioned a while back about how Viktor was able to win a gunfight with a crowbar. My question is, did he? Or was it really just a last thing he picked up?

He’s not impractical enough to enter into a gunfight with nothing but a crowbar. It’s far more likely that it was simply what he picked up after he ran out of ammunition.

Quote:
Is that a younger Nico? AND IS HE FISHING WITH HIS BARE HANDS? Badass.

Yes, but I’m not sure it’s badass so much as it is an impulsive, silly, and ineffective way to actually catch a fish. ;P

Quote:
Where is young Mordecai going? Looks important. Or is this a flashback in the comic for some reason? (He looks so cute!)

It’s difficult to say. He could be scurrying off to school...or scurrying off to calculate odds and record bets for some scoundrel grifter.

Quote:
Rocky looked really unshaken despite his cousin's going crazy and killing three hicks. Has Freckle gone batshit insane and hurt someone before, or is Rocky used to death by now?

He’s seen Freckle’s version of a spaz attack before. I wouldn’t say he’s accustomed to witnessing violent death, but his priorities seem to have a peculiar arrangement - he’s evidently more concerned with what Mitzi thinks than with anything else at that moment.

Quote:
When you listen to jazz, do you picture Zib 'n' the gang playing? (I tend to, it's odd, yet pretty cool.)

It’s silly, but I often do.

Quote:
Do you ever have moments of "oh god I just can't draw right now, I'm gonna read or do something equally relaxing for a while"?

Yes, I have days on which I simply can’t draw anything that looks right. I usually work on writing or responding to questions like these on those days. ;)

Quote:
Mitzi says Wick's face is "not quite a Barrymore, but close enough." How would you draw Mr. Barrymore? And who is this Barrymore you speak of?

Rubberbend correctly answered this one already. There were multiple famous Barrymores in Hollywood at the time, but Mitzi is most specifically referring to John Barrymore.

Quote:
1.Who took the photo in Intro 3?

Mitzi probably coerced whichever band member was lingering about that day to take the photo.

Quote:
2.Also, in that photo Rocky seems to have two whole ears. It's dated May 21st. The comic, starting with Rumrunner, begins on the 26th, and he has a hole in his ear. Shouldn't there be scabs and such on said ear?

Um, I guess if I drew his ear up close, you’d see a scab along the paper thin rim of the notch left by the bullet, but I didn’t. I don’t imagine anyone really wants to see a comic panel featuring ear scabs.

Quote:
3. Who's the person standing next to Mitzi at the funeral in Intro 3? And is the guy standing to the right to the woman with her head bowed Asa?

The one next to Mitzi is one of Atlas’ relatives lending an arm to lean on.
Yes, that’s Asa.

Quote:
4. I've noticed that some whiskers are changing colors.
Example, Viktor and Ivy: Into 3, black whiskers. Growltiger, black. Houdini, white.
Mordecai: Hatchetman (black) and Hamstring (white).
I don't think it's a change in light or setting, but whatever.

Changes in lighting, mostly. In more recent comic pages, I’ve put a lot more emphasis on lighting than I used to. Whiskers have not been immune to the change and in many situations, illuminating them with light or drawing them such that they contrast a bit with a dark background means they sometimes end up looking whitish (whereas they used to always simply look black).

Quote:
5. Did Mitzi and Mordecai once have a relationship?

They have a connection. Romantic wouldn’t really be the way to describe it, though....more like familial and deeply strained.

Quote:
6. Ms. Boss Lady said that Ivy's friends were called Nell and Maggie. I'm guessing the one with straight hair is Nell? Is there a third friend, because the curly-haired one in Scrapbook looks different from the wavy-haired one in Academia.

Different friend. Chock it up to Ivy’s social butterfly-ism, I suppose.

Quote:
7. Is the guy pushing Bad Chad's wheelchair in Academia one of Ivy's past boyfriends? Because he seems pretty scared of her.

No, she hasn’t dated him. Yet. ;P

Quote:
8. What is the significance of Mitzi's green pendant? She seems to be wearing it every time we see her.

That’s just about to come up in the comic...

Quote:
9. Does anybody ever order any drinks with Mr. Angry Man looming in front of the liquor?

They just sort of linger at a safe distance and hope the liquor will come to them if they stare at it longingly enough.

Quote:
I have an odd question. I was curious as to why Ivy was addressed by her surname by several characters that I figured would have been on good terms with her. Horatio and Zib both call her "Miss Pepper." Is this out of respect to Atlas being her godfather?

No one would have wanted to come across as informal and disrespectful toward her in Atlas’ presence. In that regard, it’s mostly just a lingering habit...or maybe they’re just humoring the speakeasy princess.

Quote:
Are clothes itchy if you have fur?

I don’t know. We humans can be pretty hairy in certain places too, and clothing doesn’t seem to cause inordinate distress.

Quote:
Do the cats take baths or lick themselves?

They bathe or shower.

Quote:
Do they have claws?
If so, can they come in and out like house cats' claws?

They have claws, but functionally, they’re more like fingernails.

Quote:
Can they jump abnormally high? (my cat does all the time)

No. Sadly, they don’t operate with quite the same amount of gravitational impunity that housecats do.

Quote:
Does either Viktor or Mordecai do anything in their spare time besides killing and beating people up? o_o Fishing? Hunting? Chrocheting?....yodeling? xD

Viktor has passed many of his off the clock hours playing Mr. Fix-it for his neighbors. He’s a bit of a gearhead too. He likes tinkering with things that don’t talk or otherwise make a lot of indecipherable noises at him, or get upset and leave when he smashes things.
Mordecai is generally working even when he’s not officially working. There’s almost always something to prepare for, and when there’s not, he keeps his aim practiced, he buys and sells stocks, juggles money between accounts, sends mail, reads (for the applicable knowledge more than the enjoyment..he says), cleans, paces and sips tea.

Quote:
1. Is the pearl necklace in Scrapbook that green necklace that Mitzi is always wearing? I'm wondering because, if it is, it's curious that it's laid across the only photo of Wick, instead of one of Atlas, who I'm supposing gave it to her. Just something to further symbolize Mitzi's budding romance with Wick.

It’s a portion of Mitzi’s necklace, yes.

Quote:
2. Why did Nina (if she's the one who snapped the photos) allow Rocky to stick clothing pins on her son's face? And is there someone else besides the photographer? Rocky seem to be talking to someone away from the camera.

It wasn't necessarily Nina. All of their parents would have been alive at the time.
If it was Nina, she might have just been content that he was finally sitting reasonably still enough for a photograph, even if it was at poor Freckle’s expense.

Quote:
3. I'm wondering if the picture of Mordecai working on the books has been cut up; every photograph except that one has some sort of a border, taking into account the border on Seraphine's photo that looked more like it was caused by the camera. Also, the edges aren't rounded out, like the others. If it was cut up, why?

It’s painted to look cut out, but that’s not intended to imply anything of great significance. Perhaps the rest was out of focus or uninteresting enough that it was trimmed away.

Quote:
4. Was the wanted poster issued in March 1927? In Monomania Mordecai seems to be leaving due to the passing policemen, possibly due to said poster, if it was fresh enough that police would still easily recognize his face...

No, the poster isn’t quite that recent, but evidently, he’s not taking any chances.

Quote:
5. How tall was Atlas? In the photo of him and Mordecai he looks to be around 5'11'' or 6', but in the New Years photo and Intro 2 he looks to be about Viktor's height.

He was shorter than Viktor - a little over 6 feet tall.

Quote:
6. In Intro 2, the drawing of Lackadaisy all filled up, top right, at the bar, could that be Ivy and, perhaps, Chad?

Hehe. Could be....or some other boy whose name starts with C. ;)

Quote:
Just for fun Tracy was Wick intended to look like Barrymore (obviously, I am referring more to your human interpretations) while Mordecai intended to look like Valentino?

It wasn’t something I set out to do exactly, and I certainly hope they don’t look like actor clones, but I’ve spent a lot of time looking through old photos of silent era stars (and old photos in general) since I started this project, and certain 1920s icons very likely rubbed off on my mental images of the characters.

Quote:
1.In Intro 2, is the cat walking into Lackadaisy Atlas? But for the hat he looks quite similar - same face shape, markings, tail, similar coat....

The one in the tux? No - just another tabby who I probably should have done a better job of differentiating so as not to be confusing.

Quote:
2. In Intro 3 the little papers behind the photograph seem to be talking about the comic. There are two at the bottom and one on the right. 'Rocky and Freckly cat lunch at the Little Daisy, Ivy serves seats herself, and flirts with Freckle. The night Rocky and Vikto meet with Captain Kehoe to make their pickup. Everything goes much too smoothly." "Viktor accompanies Rocky as ___ the truck ___ retrieve the car. Viktor expresses his doubts __ Rocky ____ to do the job. Rocky acquired some oily rags _______. Next Day. Rocky shows up at Nina's house...."

Hehe. I’m suprised that’s legible. It’s not intended to be. Are you zooming in really close? I used my old, old development notes to render the news type rather than write actual articles for the filler space.

Quote:
3. In Chit-Chat with Mordecai, flashback bit, how did they get Mordecai drinking in the first place?

Ill-fated though the efforts inevitably were, he had, in the past, made the occasional attempt to be one of the guys. His bizarre, tenuous camaraderie with Viktor is probably the closest he ever got, though, so maybe a customary social engagement like an after-hours drink seemed like the thing to do...at the time.

Quote:
4. What would the characters drink, if offered any drinks they wanted?

Some of these were addressed earlier in a question about what characters like to eat.
Freckle doesn’t have much experience in the way of alchohol but, uh, he likes chocolate milk. Rocky’s had moonshine before. That didn’t end well. Rather like Mordecai, and though somewhat ironic, he doesn’t really drink, and even seems to have a bit of disdain for those who indulge in it. He’d prefer coffee-syrup. Mitzi likes gin in various incarnations, and mint juleps. Ivy claims to like a tom collins, a parisian, a white lady or whatever else she’s heard other people talking about. Truthfully, she hasn’t had many drinks and doesn’t much care for the taste. She liked the champagne punch on New Years, though. Zib doesn’t go anywhere without a hip flask full of whatever cheap stuff he can get his hands on. Wick likes whiskey sours, aged scotch when he can find it, and brandy to help him sleep. The Savoys are partial to bourbon and spiced rum. Viktor tends toward dark lagers or whiskey but, as with food, he’s not picky. He probably drank mostly vodka in his homeland, but it wasn’t a commodity one would be likely to find in the States until around the 1950’s. Asa likes any of a variety of drinks mixed with fruit juices and sugar. Lacy likes a nice earl grey tea.

Quote:
5. How bad is Mordecai's eyesight? Bad enough his outstretched hand would be real blurry, or...?

Not good, but not pointedly terrible either. He experiences some sporadic double vision, and would probably measure somewhere between 20/60 and 20/80 on the Snellen chart without glasses.

Quote:
Edit: 7. In the New Year's picture it appears that Viktor and Mordecai are wearing suspiciously similar outfits. Coincidence, uniform, or no?

...almost certainly Mitzi’s idea to dress them like twins for the occasion.

Quote:
1. What are Calvin and Rocky's fathers' names? Mothers? (Besides Nina).

Calvin’s parents - Carroll and Jeannine (Nina)
Rocky’s parents - Ransom and Sophie

Quote:
2. Who is the cat standing beside Mitzi at Atlas's funeral? I thought at first it was Mordecai, but no, he's between the priest and the guy glancing at Mitzi.

Atlas’ family is native to St. Louis - it’d be a fair bet that it’s one such family member offering an arm to lean on.

Quote:
3. The guy looking at Mitzi, he was talking to Atlas in Intro 2, and he's on the far right of the photograph in the cafe. Who is this guy?

One of the many employees who left for greener pastures after Atlas’ death.

Quote:
1. I believe I read somewhere that Viktor served with the Americans in WW1. Was he in the Army or the Marine Corps? And was he enlisted prior to America's involvement in the war or did he sign up after they already started sending troops over to Europe?

Army. He enlisted after war had broken out in Europe, but prior to US involvement. Comparatively speaking, wages for an enlisted man were pretty decent. (He may have had slightly more idealistic personal politics and perhaps even a need to distance himself from certain people in his life at the time too.)

Quote:
2. Is there any thought that goes into the species of cat depicted for each character? I noticed Asa Sweet, Zib, and Viktor are all cougars while a majority of the cast are mostly house cats (with a few tigers thrown in here and there, such as Atlas. Although I may be mistaken and they're just orange, striped tabby cats like Freckle.) Viktor I can probably figure out, but I'm just wondering if there's an underlying reason for each character's species or if it's all purely aesthetic.

The stripes on various characters are more akin to tabbies than tigers, really. They’re generally not intended to represent precise species of cat, but I’ve borrowed some lynx for Viktor’s design, a little bit of caracal for Zib’s, some lion for Asa and such. It’s partly aesthetic, but a character’s looks also correspond to their personality. Asa has an out-going, even overbearing and bombastic way about him, for example, and so some leonine features seemed fitting for their matching visual connotations.

Quote:
3. Judging by the supplementary material, we know that Mitzi was in the band with Zib before Rocky had even joined, were Zib and Mitzi ever involved with each other? You had that one pic of them cuddling on a train.

Aside from the photo, I hope their conversational exchanges speak of a certain familiarity.

Quote:
4. Were any of the deceased characters mentioned or implied (such as Freckle's father, Rocky's parents, etc.) affected by the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918, which killed pretty much 1/5 of earth's population in that year alone?

Good question. The Spanish Flu outbreak at the end of WWI was devastating.
Rocky’s mother, who was in and out of sanatoriums much of her adult life, was more susceptible than the average individual.

Quote:
Pointless question:
In Lackadaisy Shenanigans, what the crud are Rocky and Freckle nailing sandwiches to the wall for? xD I suppose it's not the strangest thing they've ever done, because Aunt Nina doesn't seem particularly beside herself about it.

Trying to nail jelly to the wall. Maybe Rocky recently discovered dadaism - who knows? What explanations do boys that age ever have for anything they do? ;P
If Nina looks unphased, it’s probably because it doesn’t rank among the weirdest or most destructive things they’ve done. Even a battleax has to pick her battles.

Quote:
Question concerning Mordecai (since there aren't enough of these already):
Has he always been such a nit-picker about the way he dresses and such, or is that particularness something that just developed as he got older?

Quote:
There's a previewthat shows him at a younger age, in a particularly worn-out sweater. What I speculate is that he had to wear big brother's stuff and got so sick of it that he developed a bit of an obsessiveness about smart dressing.

That’s pretty astute of you. =)
Being particular has been a near life-long inclination, but life experiences seem to have honed (or exacerbated) his focus on specific things. He didn’t have a big brother to inherit clothing from, but his ill-fitted, awkward clothes were either his father’s before they were his, or they were simply acquired second-hand.
Atlas taught him a little something about the importance of presentation, though, and provided him the means to have tailored clothing for the first time in his life. Dressing sharply was henceforth an imperative.

Quote:
Regarding the foreign languages: Do you actually speak/understand them, or do you have fluent friends who help you out? I'm especially curious about this since Viktor (and Mrs. Bapka) speak quite a bit of Czech (Edit: I mean Slovak) and it doesn't look like you faked it with a dictionary (or Babelfish). The Savoy's also seem to speak a bit of Cajun slang and any sort of slang generally isn't easy to convincingly fake.

I’m not fluent in Slovak or any other Slavic language, although I wish I was. Haha - I can’t give away all of my secrets, though. That wouldn’t be any fun.

Quote:
You mention that Atlas is Ivy's godfather. What is her parent's relationship to Atlas? People don't generally make complete strangers the godparents of their children.

Ivy’s father (Reuben, or Ruby to his friends) was a long-time and war-time friend of Atlas’, regarded him as a sort of elder brother, even, and wound up being a business associate of his when Volstead rolled around.

Quote:
Mitzi said that Mordecai kneecapped Viktor before he left Lackadaisy. Was he responsible for damaging Viktor's "good" knee? And if so, did Mordecai deliberately target that knee (either out of spite or to punctuate his point that Viktor should get out of the speakeasy business)?

Yes. He relieved Viktor of a perfectly serviceable patella, and did so deliberately.

Quote:
Speaking of Mordecai, why does he put up with the disrespect of Sweet (and the Savoys)? As big as speakeasies are at the time, the Marigold and Lackadaisy can't be the only places in town to find work (assuming he isn't inclined to move out of St. Louis).

I won’t say much about this except that Asa and Atlas were friends and this very likely influenced Mordecai’s decision to work for Marigold rather than someplace else. (It’s entirely possible that finding himself subject to frequent elbowings and ribbings has made him regret this decision, but... =P)

Quote:
And why did the Savoys head up north to seek their fortunes? I would think that Louisiana (New Orleans in particular) would be a prime location when it came to rumrunning. Did they leave to stay one step ahead of the law (or possibly some disgruntled "business associates" and/or rivals)?

Sometimes the right job offer comes along. And sometimes you break enough laws and make enough enemies in one place that moving to another place is the only practical thing to do. =P

Quote:
Who is this captivating individual and will he play a part (however small) in the saga of Lackadaisy?

He finally made his cameo in Backalley.

Quote:
Would you consider making a compilation of images showing your artistic evolution through the years? I've seen memes of that sort on DeviantArt and I'm very curious about your progression, especially since Lackadaisy began with such skill that its clear that it is not your first artistic endeavor.

Hmm. Most of my old artwork is in a box somewhere in the basement of my parents’ house several states away. I don’t have easy access to it to scan it. You can find some of my older work in these old directory folders on my old web site, though. Ooolldd. Olderer Ugh. Cringe-inducingly Old.

Quote:
Does Freckle have any mental or psychological disorders? (Such as Bi-polar disorder, Autism, etc)

Well, I wouldn’t say he’s a very accurate or realistic representation of anything in the DSM, but I suppose whatever’s going on with him bears at least some passing resemblance to intermittent explosive disorder.

Quote:
Who do you reckon would win in a fight btw Freckle and Mordecai?

Who do you think?
(You’ve all been very patient with me, which I appreciate. In the future, if your patience doesn’t wear too thin beforehand, I’ll be able to answer this for you in a much more interesting way than by typing at you.)

Quote:
Ok different Q while I think. Mordecai. Seriously. Is he a product of his circumstances, or what? and this one, sort of.

A product of his circumstances and experiences, yes - very much so. It doesn’t really mitigate his culpability, but it’s not as if he spontaneously decided one day that he wanted to grow up to be a horrible, destructive monster.

Quote:
OH! Yeah. Does Rocky and Freckle have any other living relatives?

Extended family, yes, but none they are particularly close with, or who live in the immediate vicinity. Rocky mentions an uncle in Kankakee in one of his letters, for instance.

Quote:
And last but never least. Who killed Atlas, or commissioned for his death. I think most will agree with me on the front of suspicion that it was an agreement between Mitzi and Mordecai, by WHY?

I appreciate your interest in knowing, though it would seem be a little self-defeating to answer this here instead of with the comic.

Quote:
Also, speaking of Atlas, though I know some questions pertaining to him are very plot-heavy and therefore unanswerable at the moment, I have others. Mainly, what's his history? We know a decent amount of background on almost all of the other characters but all we know about Atlas is that he was born in St. Louis and he was a "shrewd businessman." What were his parents like? Does he have any siblings? Did he go to college? What led up to him starting the cafe? What about him made the idea of blatantly breaking the law and starting a speak sound like a good idea?.

He’s been deliberately left rather in the shadows - how the living characters remember him is the important thing - but I suppose it doesn’t hurt to say that his parents were unremarkable lower-middle class sorts, he had two brothers, no extensive education, a short military career and a strong distaste for toiling under someone else’s supervision following the war. He had also established in that arena that he had a sort of cool-headed, natural charisma of his own. Why did starting a speakeasy seem like a good idea? Because although alcohol had been largely outlawed, the demand for it was ever fervent, and he had himself a conveniently secret place in which to house and sell it.

Quote:
How do the characters feel about the illegality of what they're doing? I'm guessing they probably don't care much about the whole 'distributing illegal substances' thing because, hell, I wouldn't feel bad about selling booze, but how do they feel about the whole 'murder arson jaywalking' thing? Mostly I wonder about Mitzi, who seems so genteel and Ivy, who's still kind of a kid. What about Viktor? He strikes me as the type to have a very solid personal code of ethics. How does he feel about killing people in the name of gang rivalry?

That’s a pretty involved question - almost all of the characters have their own way of desensitizing, rationalizing, wallowing in guilt, or avoiding the consideration altogether.
Mitzi has a not-insubstantial emotional investment in her situation (hopefully that’s obvious by now) and whatever her hangup, it apparently outweighs what qualms she might have about doing very bad things.
Ivy might have been partial-witness to some nasty things and she certainly has some inkling of what goes on behind the scenes, but she enjoys a degree of separation that allows her to partake of the spoils without herself making any major moral compromises. For her, the ethical implications remain largely unexamined, so it still seems all a rather grand, exotic adventure she’s in a privileged position to experience....thus far.
Viktor had a strong code of ethics, but the way the world works seems to have alleviated him of it to an extent. By his more world-weary, watered down standards, any man who wilfully casts his lot into the underground liquor trade also willfully accepts what’s coming to him. If he has to cave someone’s skull in with a shovel in the course of a night’s work, so be it; if someone delivers him a lethal dose of lead poisoning in return, that’s fair enough. No party need trouble themselves with tremendous guilt as long as these simple rules of engagement are understood.

Quote:
I got one, what are those things that Mordecai wears on his arms over his shirt?

I think this one has been answered, but those would be sleeve garters.

Quote:
Did Rocky and Freckle get into something really REALLY truly bad when they were younger? And was it this awful thing that got Rocky kicked out? And did Freckle lose control and go all Mr. Hyde? If so, then why wasn't he kicked out of his home?
And I actually don't want a response from Tracy besides "You'll find out soon in the comic!”

Well, you’re onto something there...but you’ll find out in the comic! =)

Quote:
Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while, but whenever I'm on a thread I forget it. Would Victor hit a girl? So far we've only seen him beat up guys, but that could be because the only girls we've seen around him are Ivy, Mitzi, and Mrs. Bapka. If he ever met Serafine who he have qualms about beating her face in or shooting her full of holes?

Probably not unless it was clearly a matter of self defence. Around Serafine, it might become clear very quickly that it was a matter of self defence, so it’s not outside the realm of possibility that he would hit or shoot back, but it would no doubt throw him for a loop. He’s got a pretty chauvinistic understanding of women, how they should behave, and how one should behave in their company.

Quote:
Here's a silly question that has been bugging me for a while now. I'm wondering if Viktor has a problem with depth persception. Does he ever miss things when he's reaching for them? Or bump into things? Or has it been long enough since loosing his eye that he'd adapted?

Well, attempts at reading usually result in headaches, but he was never much for novels anyway. It has some impact on his close range depth perception and his peripheral vision is obviously narrowed by it, but he’s fairly well adapted - whatever handicap it creates is pretty negligible in his everyday functioning. Were he given the choice between having either the eye or a good knee back again, he’d take the knee without a moment’s hesitation.

Quote:
When Freckle was a kitten, did he have a stuffed human named Hobbes?

He had a sock monkey named Hambutter. It probably got set on fire before it had a chance to do any precocious expostulating on the human condition, though.

Quote:

Sometimes my hair is short. Sometimes it’s not. I’m not blond, either. She’s not an intended self-portrait, in other words.

Quote:
do they have 9 lives?

Perhaps. Where some of them are concerned, I’m not sure I can explain how else they’ve managed to survive this long.

Quote:
do they always land on their feet?

Haha, no. Observe Rocky for any given ten minutes and marvel at how many things he lands on other than his feet.

Quote:
do the buddhists look like mr. bigglesworth from austin powers?

sure

Quote:
1. I noticed in "Correspondence" that Rocky mentioned Vivaldi, but who is his favorite composer?

Hmm. Good questions. He likes the usual cadre of Beethoven, Bach, and Brahms, of course, but Vivaldi, Paganini’s unusual solo-violin compositions, and hectic, possibly idiotic Mussorgsky could be counted among his favorites. I’m sure he’d appreciate Kreisler and the modern sounds of Gershwin too.

Quote:
2. You have characters from all over the eastern part of the US, but will you ever have any from out West? I'm sure that even in the '20s LA had plenty of gangsters.

Oh, certainly the entire west coast was a fascinating hotbed of illicit liquor trade too, but none of the main cast come from as far west as California. It wasn’t my aim to exclude cities in the westernmost half of the country, but I’ve lived my life on the east coast and in the Midwest, and I suppose I tend to pick places I have a certain affection-born-of-familiarity for. In a vaguely “write what you know” sort of way, it’s also a little more comfortable for me to incorporate places I’m better acquainted with into the fiction.

Quote:
3. You've said/written several times that making the characters cats is more of a tool for characterization than anything else, but I'm curious as to what form they take while running around your head. Do they look like they do in the comic, are they humans, or are they reminiscent of the musical "Cats", just without the leg-warmers and singing and dancing?

Hehe. I don’t think they’ve ever shown up in theatrical feline costumes, but the imaginary forms they take in my thoughts are otherwise fairly fluid. Sometimes they show up as cats, sometimes as human beings, and sometimes they’re more abstract than that. I guess I more or less think of them as collections of ideas, personality traits, fictional histories, tidbits borrowed from reality, themes and symbols that can be encompassed and reflected in an embodiment of one sort or another, depending on the occasion. (For the purposes of the comic, these conceptual people are dressed up as punny, semi-cartoons - something that hopefully lends an air of levity to a story in a traditionally dark genre.)

Quote:
4. And lastly, an appropriately dumb question. Which of your characters is best at math and would he/she mind helping me with my calculus homework?

Well, Mordecai has a head for numbers...but not for people. I’m afraid he’d make a fantastically horrible tutor. Rocky, on the other hand, would be all too pleased to help (assuming your teacher considers cryptic crayon-scrawled haiku a valid solution to calculus problems).

Devil's Advocate
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:29 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Devil's Advocate
Holy Jesus Cracker Christ wall of text, Batman.

Tracy: Thank you!

Everybody else: HEY YOU GUYS Because I'm a weirdo and I like catagorizing things, I started copy/pasting a ton of information in this thread and organizing it into a easily searched encyopedia-style document and it's gotten to the point that I'd like to post it so maybe we can retire this monster thread that I started oh god. Where do y'all think I should post it? Start a new thread? Start a new sticky thread? Start a wiki (in which case I'd need help)? I thought about the FAQ thread, but I don't want to flood it with what is a veritable TON of tl;dr. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:45 pm GMT 

Location: Avatar from http://www.transformice.com/paroles-de-dev-4/index.php
Wow. That was a LOT of answers. And here I thought "Chit-Chat time with Mordecai" was your attempt at saying "I don't like answering all the silly questions". How more wrong could I possibly be?

Anyway, awesome read and it's entirely too late here now.

Also, I should figure Lacy could perhaps run circles around either Mordecai or Rocky in terms of math. Heck, WICK probably could if he wasn't recovering from any recent business meetings in his wine cellar.

PM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm GMT 

Custom Title: PM
Oh, Ms. Butler, you spoil us.
That was certainly a very pleasant surprise to end a day with, it certainly clarified quite a few things and was a rather entertaining read to boot, as per usual.

Quote:
Hehe. I’m suprised that’s legible. It’s not intended to be. Are you zooming in really close? I used my old, old development notes to render the news type rather than write actual articles for the filler space.
I got the book and there it was, happy confusion an all.

Quote:
1. In Deadeye there appears to be a hanging picture propped backwards against the wall. Is it down and turned around for a reason, or was the decorating in Viktor's place just neglected?
What’s your impression of it?
(I don’t ask to be evasive - I’m glad you noticed
)
There was something somewhere about Viktor once being in a long-term relationship. Bad ending, perhaps?
Quote:
and perhaps even a need to distance himself from certain people in his life at the time too
Viktor seems to have a way of dealing with whatever problem is before him: find it, disable it, and then forget about it, discard it, but not completely destroy or throw it away. I'm wondering if the pushed-down frames are of memories that he does not want to look at every day but still doesn't want to completely forget about. Viktor doesn't seem like the avoidance type; he isn't the kind of guy who would go around an obstacle, he'd either make it move or plow on through. That's why the frames are so intriguing; they're both something from Viktor's past that we don't know about (and he seems to not want to know about it either) and is way of dealing with them is so different from his usual way that one really must wonder what is looking back from under the frames.

Quote:
Would you ever consider posting a quick sketch, doesn't have to be really detailed, of the front Seraphine's dress in Preview 0014? I'm considering making such a dress over my completely-free-and-boring summer vacation.
I’m probably so late in getting to this, the time has passed. If not, let me know and I’ll do a sketch for you (if you’re even still here). I’m sorry for my poor timing
I would very, very much love to see the sketch. Hopefully I'll be able to get into a decent clothing/fashion course during college and be able to do at least a decent make of it.

Is this thing on?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Is this thing on?
Tracy, you're darb. The cat's meow. Hip to the jive. And all that (1920s) jazz.

an angry octopus
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:20 pm GMT 

Custom Title: an angry octopus
Breathing too heavily to respond coherently. Realizing that cat I randomly stare at in that preview picture is actually Ivy's dad. Being told Rocky/Freckle's parents names and finding out they were all four alive when those pictures were taken1!! Absorbing all that information and being even more unable to withstand the wait for an update - OH GOD I LOVE IT TOO MUCH. This was the most filling hour I've ever spent reading anything...

...But raise your hand if you figured Rocky had to be a November/December baby!! :D

The Tomboy!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Tomboy!
....Holy Shizzle, Tracy! D: Man, I bet your hands are tired. Lots of awsome new information and interesting answers that spark even more questions for me, about Viktor (and the Pig Farmers), but I decided I'd just post this here, since it's been a while since I posted and maybe some people and develop some questions from My questions. :}

((Yes, I know there are a lot of periods and yes, I know I ramble a little....or a lot.... but, that's the way I type...or write. :D ))

-----------------

Ok,..I have some more questions…Some might reflect some of the answers, from other fellow members, questions. Some are for Viktor, some are for the Pig Farmers.

For Viktor:

1. You said that Viktor’s voice sounds bisque and low…does Jumba, from Lilo and Stitch, sound more like him, or does Sean Connery? (if Sean Connery voices Jumba, forgive me and my under-informed mind. -_-) If not either of them (Jumba or Sean), then who?

2. ok….I’ve been trying to figure out what color Viktor’s eye’s were/would be, in his human form (Preview 0013). I know, that if you’re dark eyed (brown, dark blue, dark green, etc.), in a B&W/Sepia toned picture, your iris and pupil, would almost look like one big pupil, instead of two separate parts (an iris and pupil)..my point being, in Viktor’s human portrait, I can tell he has light colored eye’s (unless you didn’t really work on the eye color part, and more on his facial structure)….ok…What color are his eye’s, in his human form? …Considering I know, a normal human wouldn’t have THAT green of eye’s (in his Tux, in Preview 0014). ((sorry for the rambling…))

3. Ok, you also said he has family…in the US?, in his home country? Who are those family member’s? ex., Sisters, brothers, nephews, uncles, mother? What were/are their names? What were/are their personalities like (angry, depressed, bitter, happy, calm/peaceful, a combo)? And what do they look like? Mother for ex; Probably 5’5’’, slightly curvy, but muscular, with dark brown, past-shoulder-length hair, blue eye’s, Calico fur, ?? years of age. Father; 6’ 7’’, firm, muscular build (much like Viktor), hazel eye’s, brown fur with light brown underbelly/paws/tip-of-tail, ?? years of age. Same for any bro’s and sis’s.

4. um….i don’t know whether to mention this, or not…..I’ve been seeing some art (on DA), that…kinda depicts, Viktor and Mordecai…to be….well…more than just partners…if you catch my drift…o.o ….Point being…..*sighs, not wanting to disrespect Viktor...or Mordecai*….they are both straight, right? <:|

5. And, seriously…Does Viktor truly not have (romantic or any other) feelings, for Ivy, than just friends (or whatever kind of relationship they have o.o…i’ve never really figured it out. >.>) And......ya know….i have a feeling you’re going to explain this one, in the comic, itself…..so, I guess forget about the main purpose, of this question and focus on the wee bitty one. :D LOl 'The wee-bitty One'--> What kind/type of relationship DO Ivy and Viktor have (brother/sister, father/daughter, body-guard/precious gem, etc.)? Or, how does Viktor feel about Ivy and the other way around (with Ivy)?

…Alright…I think that settles it, for now (though, I now have more, thanks to Tracy's answers. ;} ), with Viktor…Sooo….the Pig Farmers…

1. What would their signs be? (Aries, Capricorn, Leo, etc.) ((if you have just the day and month, that helps Greatly. :) ))

2. You said the way their mother would look, is more like Avril and Emery (stocky build), and their father, like Avery (sort of thinly). What color(s) would they have been? Their mother; a gray tabby, 5’4’’, short bob-like blond hair, one or two scares, etc. Their father; black and white blotched, 6’1’’, different colored eye’s (one blue, the other gold), many large, deep scares, etc.

3. What would their Parents personalities be like? Like Avril’s, angry/cranky, or like Emery’s, kinda “lost on what’s going on”, a combo, or not even close?

4. What was Avril like, before their father died? Is that what made him angry/cranky, by having to grow up fast and 'fill his fathers shoes'? And how did it effect Avery and Emery? Did they find their mother and father (in death) or did someone else and tell them, or what? And how did it happen (their parents deaths)? Was it slow and painful (heart attack) or quick and painless (passed out, and died unconscious)?

5. And lastly, is poor Benjy still alive (doubt it, but still)? If no longer alive, did Viktor kill him by strangulation/choking (considering the second-to-last time we see him, Viktor has his hand, around his throat) or…what?

My Cat Folk

goes "Wheeeeeeeee"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 am GMT 

Custom Title: goes "Wheeeeeeeee"
Miss Tracy, the wonderful lady who lets us ask all sorts of stupid questions about nonsense that doesn't really matter, I have a question!!!

I saw once before that you had posted the individual characters' handwritings, but since then they've been taken down. Do you still have access to these or are they unattainable? I'd like to see them, if you can get them. That would be really lovely.

Flo and Marilyn Tobias

~

Hold up.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Hold up.
Oh dearest Boss Lady lady, I know I'll feel terrible if I get answers to these but, the way things are going now, how many more years do you think you'll be doing Lackadaisy? ( I feel nauseous thinking about it ending D:) But of course, this doesn't include the spin-off Viktor and Mordecai comic, obviously... that's not something that would ever end :D . And for the next question, how many volumes (if they were all about the size of volume one) do you expect there to be? Oh and one more, those new important/main-ish characters that you mentioned, will any of them get their own character pages? Thanks for taking the time to read this. You can skip over my signature if you want, that would just take up precious seconds of your life that would be better used to throw babies (Dramatization, of course) or iron your face.

Last edited by Docky on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

certified Ninja Pirate
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm GMT 

Custom Title: certified Ninja Pirate
hi awesome boss lady, i was wondering if you had any clue when the lackadaisy pins (the club-shaped ones) would be back in stock (in the store).

thanks in advance!

http://cedar13.deviantart.com/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 89  Next