THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

The Personification of Spring
 Post subject: Re: The brand new Q&A thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Considering your penchant for historical accuracy: will racism/intolerance be brought up? (Sorry if this seems rude or something, I just know it was an issue so I was curious to see if you'd ever bring it up.)

I know the characters are cats only in looks (for maximum expression possibilities), but do their tails ever become problematic? (i.e. Getting slammed in doors, broken bones, etc)

Will a British character ever be brought in? The cast is already pretty diverse, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
@MusicMan- Bobby is British, so she already has done this! Also I think your question is interesting about racial intolerance, I asked that question before actually on tumblr, and some other folks have too, so if you want to see a quick answer to that, you can find it here and here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:30 pm GMT 

Ah. Well, shows how bad my memory is. XD

And how'd you find those so fast?

(Glad me queries were interesting.)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:44 pm GMT 

Here's another thought:

Aside from Aunt Nina and a few others I'm surely forgetting, Miss Tracy stated that most of the characters are not religious. Why is this? I thought being non-religious was pretty well unheard of then, and if someone was then they were considered something like a communist or horrible blotch on society. (Though if I'm mistaken in society's feeling at the time feel free to correct me.)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:47 pm GMT 

Stupid, random question but how do you think the cast would get along with the Sumerian goddess Inanna? I can see her and Serafine getting on, they've both got that sexy, murderous, I do my own thing going on.
Also, if Mordecai somehow makes it to the mid 1940s and beyond, how would he feel about Zionism? What about his family's opinions?

Last edited by tomatoesareking on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:16 am GMT, edited 1 time in total.

A Pin of Spades
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 pm GMT 

Custom Title: A Pin of Spades
Has Mor♪ecai ever ♪ated/fallen in a non-hilarious love? I know this was brought up once before, but I'm a bit curious.

Loyal Mordecai Follower
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Loyal Mordecai Follower
I have been wondering on some things.
What happened to Freckle`s father?
What about Rocky`s father? Is he alive, if so where is he?
How did Rocky screw up his second chance with Aunt Nina?
Will we see more of Mordecai in the story itself?
I love your comic, so I hope it is a long story and that it will not be wrapped up soon. Sorry for alot of questions.
Can you tell us something about Mordecai that you have not written here, on your wiki or in any of the comics?
Will we see where Mordecai lives sometime?
Viktor`s background is very interesting as it is shown, but he seems quite nice to Mrs.Bapka. Which leads me to the question; What is her first name if you know about it? It would be interesting to know -smiles-
OH! One more thing:

Do you know that you are absolutely fantastic yet?
That I live in norway and no matter who I ask currently (except people above fifty) ((exception my grandmothers)) knew about Lackadaisy?
I hope you are not getting too stressed but are finding these rather fun to do rather than a chore. I am very glad that you have even published them on the internet.

Thank you, sorry for alot of questions, and rambling.

In the place before the bass!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 pm GMT 

Custom Title: In the place before the bass!
Rocky, Mordecai, Lacy, Freckle, Nina, Ivy

Virgins?

I NEED TO KNOW

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
Nina is Freckle's mom so unless her maiden name is Mary I can safely assume she's done the sheet tango.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:43 pm GMT 

smarticus wrote:
Nina is Freckle's mom so unless her maiden name is Mary I can safely assume she's done the sheet tango.

/forehead slap You're right!

cheese
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 pm GMT 

Custom Title: cheese
J. L. L.: Freckle's father has passed away, and Rocky's father is alive but in an unknown location.

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:36 am GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
@The last people who said stuff and everyone in this thread- I think it would be good if we could follow a convention of specifying with an @ who we're talking to if we're not addressing Tracy herself (and if you are then addressing Tracy AFTER addressing someone else use @Tracy to show which part of the post is for her). This is so that when Tracy is reading the thread there will be more clarity as to what posts need her attention. The last thread got so weighed down with off topic discussion and back and forth chat between participants that there was just too much for her to sift through to get to the actual questions. This time round I think it would help all of us to try and make things easier for her in this regard.

@J.L.L

What happened to Rocky's father will I think be revealed later, though he is alive. Freckle's father is dead and died in a 'fairly mundane' way. I think it's safe to say there will be more Mordecai!

ETA: Oops, I see that Dolphinz already answered this. Ah well.

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:43 am GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Quote:
On-topic: Does Dom Drago have any family of note?

He's married. He has a family. I’m not sure I would say it’s of note, though. He seems more interested in his work, which tends to remove him from their proximity for long durations.

Quote:
Is there anything you've written into the canon by now that you wish you hadn't, because it "tied your hands" for the future? Alternately...this may be the same thing, really...is there anything you wish you had written into the canon, but didn't, and now feel it wouldn't be workable to put it in?

I’m sure there have been such cases, but I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. I try to make the best of what I’ve got, and if I have a chance to revise something so that it’s better, I revise it. My regrets usually have more to do with how I’ve handled content as opposed to the content itself. For instance, I’ve been rather too reserved about divulging character backstory information. I’m not sure why this is. I suppose I have a fear of hastily blabbing everything there is to know about a character, henceforth eliminating all mystery from them and rendering them boring. I also worry about treating it in such a way that it flows naturally into the story rather than coming across like obvious exposition, or utilizing too much tell and not enough show. Eventually, though, I end up in a spot where character motivations aren’t as well explained as I’d like because I have been so stingy about revealing backstory. Balancing the past with the present isn’t something I’ve been very deft at thus far. I’m working on it.

Quote:
Semi-topical: Yes, the answers will be worked into the wiki with links back to the pertinent posts, for reference of course. No, it won't be for at least a couple of weeks, most likely. Unless you're someone I already have good relations with I'd prefer to leave it at that, and thanks for your understanding and patience!

Thank you. The work and diligence is greatly appreciated. =)

Quote:
1. Okay, so Mordecai has no idea of how funny he is. Does he have any idea how adorable he can be?

No. He seems to think he’s aloofly professional. Adorable would be so thoroughly defeating.

Quote:
2. Other than Wick's anatidaephobia (poor soul), any phobias among the rest of the cast? ... Like thunderstorms, for instance?

I’m not sure they technically qualify as phobias. Wick’s problem is with a very specific ghost duck, not just any old watchful duck. Freckle is wary of butterflies. Also bees. And he has strong objections to oatmeal. Mordecai doesn’t like rats, pigeons, mice, roaches or any small, crawly, diseasy thing, really. Asymmetry can be a problem too. Viktor is somewhat inordinately bothered by noise...especially the noise that comes out of people’s mouths. And Rocky might actually shy away from friendly hobos proffering moonshine.

Quote:
3. Does Mordecai have a bullet (fragment) in the brainpan? If so, did it actually change anything? Cf. Phineas Gage, though of course it's hard to know what really happened with that guy and what was exaggerated …

Once upon a time, someone shot him in the head. If he’s not the most comprehensible, agreeable personality, or looks a little empty behind the eyes in an exchange of glances, that might be why. At least, that’s what Bobby heard. (You could ask Mordecai, but you’d probably get one of those empty stares in response.)

Phineas Gage’s is actually a well documented case. That’s why it’s almost always the first example to come up in a discussion about the relationship between specific brain physiology and behavior/personality. Based on photos taken of him in life and the dramatic appearance of his skull, there’s nothing exaggerated about his injury, at least.

Quote:
More generally, from the above, though I suppose this may be spoilerish- Was the information that Bobby passed on to Ivy accurate, and if not, how off-base was he?

He might have embellished a bit or left out some details, and some of what he had to say about Viktor and Mordecai was second or third-hand information. The story of how he ended up doing business with Atlas, how Viktor and Mordecai came to work for Atlas, and how the engagement at the lodge unfolded was basically true, though.

Quote:
Also going off the above phobia question- why does Ivy freak out when Abelard starts going on one of his brimstone and hellfire rants? The only justification she gives is "you looked like a spider"... is she afraid of spiders, or were her actions simply self-defense? The girl looked genuinely terrified, after all.

It didn’t have anything literal to do with spiders. What she said incidentally shut him down because it revealed she hadn’t actually been listening to any of the fervent, fanatic things he’d been saying, but that she was only screaming and backing away in response to the tall, gaunt, limby man gesticulating wildly in her direction.

Quote:
Tracy, did you realize you were awesome at a young age, or did you find out later in life?

I don’t think I’ve ever felt that I was awesome. Quite the opposite, really, from childhood onward.

Quote:
1. So apparently Mitzi had feelings for Atlas when they were together, but how about when entering the relationship?
Did she start dating him because she liked him, or did she go after him for the money and then fell in love with him later, after they were already a couple?

At the outset, neither took it very seriously. They were each just someone to have a good time with, although Atlas seemed to have a way of making Mitzi feel a little less like herself and more like someone else - a sensation she evidently welcomed. It got a lot more serious when the band abruptly left town for another gig, and Atlas made a point of tracking her down.

Quote:
2. What's the name of the Viktor's ex, and is she still alive?

I’ll have to leave it to the comic to address. Sorry!

Quote:
3. Has Wick been an alcoholic for a long time, and has it started to affect him physically?

In keeping with tradition, he learned how to drink in college. It seems to have affected his short term memory to some extent, and I’m sure if his liver could send him a postcard, it would have a frowny face and a plea for mercy on it.

Quote:
4. Were Asa and Atlas personal friends?

They had known each other growing up and, before the Great War, had dipped their feet in criminal waters together, running underground poker games here and there. Later they established a definite friendship, but it existed on political and strategic terms, so it’d be difficult to dissect genuine friendliness from business friendliness. They did seem to actually enjoy each other’s company, though.

Quote:
5. How old was Ivy when she decided she wanted to be a flapper? And what did her family have to say about it?

She chopped her locks off of her own accord in her early teens, a sacrificial offering over a small stack of Vogue and Photoplay magazines. She might have been hoping for some table-flipping on the part of her parents, but mild disapproval was likely all she got. Her deep curiosity about the speakeasy, where everything interesting was happening, came well before that, though.

Quote:
6. What would the different characters want for Christmas?

Mitzi - Cash please.
Viktor - For someone to just discreetly slide a steak under the door and then leave him alone for the rest of the day...
Wick - An old bottle of scotch and maybe a nice geode.
Ivy - Hats. More hats.
Rocky - Some affection..or attention..or approbation. He’ll settle for pancakes.
Freckle - What he really needs are new socks and willpower and something autographed by Hi Bell.
Zib - Cigarette paper, bail bonds and better luck next time.
Serafine and Nico - Fresh shellfish, for godsake. Missouri is a kind of hell for seafoodies.

Quote:
This one was inspired by a conversation in another thread.... what would a meeting between Lacy and Viktor be like?

Mostly uneventful, I suppose. Lacy’d probably smile politely. Viktor wouldn’t smile at all, but he’d hold the door for her. Other than that, I can’t imagine they’d have much to say to each other.

Quote:
1. When did Nina's family (I'm assuming it was the family) emigrate?

The family arrived in the States around 1895.

Quote:
2. Were she and Sophie, Rocky's mum, close growing up? You stated that Sophie's "non-traditional" marriage drove a wedge between the sisters, so I wondered.

Yes, they were, and they clung to each other a bit in adjusting to life in the United States. Nina was older and no doubt felt a sense of protective responsibility for her younger sister, so it probably stung all the more that she couldn’t prevent Sophie from making what she (Nina) considered a poor, rash decision.

Quote:
3. Does Aunt Nina have any kind of social life, like neighbors she chats over the fence with or some friends at church?

She’s active in the church and in local politics. She runs a little home business and has at points worked as a florist, among other part-time jobs, to earn a few extra dollars. (I regret not finding ways to slip in more character developing tidbits about her, really. I’ve written them in the past only to cut them out because the explanation always seems to distract from whatever more plot-pertinent things are going on at the time.)

Quote:
1. Where did Lacy learn to play tennis?

Bored and out of place at someone’s high-falutin lawn party at some point in her early teens, she gave it a try, enjoyed it, began playing casually at public courts, and eventually joined a competitive amateur circuit. (It was actually one of the few competitive sports deemed appropriate for women in the early 20th Century, and enjoyed a fair bit of popularity in the 1920s.)

Quote:
2. I can't remember ever seeing her use a typewriter - does she?

Yes. She’s not been depicted actively typing, but there is a typewriter set up at the desk she’s utilizing in Wick’s home office here:
http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/comic.php?comicid=76

Quote:
3. If she does, did she receive any training or education in how to use it, or did she learn on her own?

She went to secretarial school. I don’t think she felt very challenged, but she stuck it out.

Quote:
I know the characters are cats only in looks (for maximum expression possibilities), but do their tails ever become problematic? (i.e. Getting slammed in doors, broken bones, etc)

No. More than anything, their tails are visual flourishes. I use them to append gestures, emotions or movement, but that’s about all. Things like tail injuries would seem to invite too literal an understanding of their feline physiognomies where they’re intended to be fundamentally relatable as humans, with human circumstances and experiences.

Quote:
Aside from Aunt Nina and a few others I'm surely forgetting, Miss Tracy stated that most of the characters are not religious. Why is this? I thought being non-religious was pretty well unheard of then, and if someone was then they were considered something like a communist or horrible blotch on society. (Though if I'm mistaken in society's feeling at the time feel free to correct me.)

I’m not sure where or when I said precisely that, but if I did actually word it that way, I’m certain what I meant was that many of them weren’t especially religious. I’d file a couple of them in the agnostic category, but it would have been very uncommon to not be born into one religious affiliation or another and to not maintain some affiliation, however loosely, for the rest of one’s life. Whether any of them take it very seriously, regard it dubiously, or simply acknowledge it in passing on holidays is what I was likely commenting on.

Although religion has always played a major role in politics and has held influential sway over culture in general, between the moral authoritarianism of the Victorian era and the revivalism brought on by the difficult times of the 1930’s, the midst of the prospering 20’s was comparably low key on the religious front. If nothing else, the infamous 1925 Scopes Trial served to reveal that beside the strictly religious-minded was an emergent population of people with more liberal ideas and more favorable views of science. That said, pronouncing oneself an atheist would have still been, in most circles, a form of social suicide.

Quote:
Stupid, random question but how do you think the cast would get along with the Sumerian goddess Inanna? I can see her and Serafine getting on, they've both got that sexy, murderous, I do my own thing going on.

I can’t honestly say I’ve given that much consideration before. Hehe. I could imagine Serafine feeling a certain amity with deities like Inanna, Ishtar and Kali, though. Among the loa she has an affinity for is Maman Brigitte, who is not altogether unlike some of these ancient, assertive goddesses of love and blood.

Quote:
Also, if Mordecai somehow makes it to the mid 1940s and beyond, how would he feel about Zionism? What about his family's opinions?

Mordecai and the rest of his generation in the family might not have had especially strong opinions about it, or at most might have identified with liberal Zionism before WWII. Pre-war, the movement originated mostly with Jews subject to pogroms and other very pronounced forms of antisemitism in Europe and Russia (not to say the US didn’t discriminate or have its disgraceful episodes as well). I can’t imagine Mordecai justifying the sense of entitlement to the land on a religious basis either - that wouldn’t make sense to him - but cultural loyalty might factor in, or he might even logicize that the long history of persecution in other states calls for a separate, sovereign Israeli state.
WWII changed a lot of minds about this, of course, and I could easily see Mordecai’s family shifting from a somewhat oblique position to one of strong support in the aftermath (when regard for the Palestinians was overshadowed by high emotion and political turmoil surrounding the Holocaust).

Quote:
Has Mor♪ecai ever ♪ated/fallen in a non-hilarious love? I know this was brought up once before, but I'm a bit curious.

Not really, no. In breaching adolescence, he had something classifiable as a crush on someone, but then everything fell to pieces, and when the pieces were finally back together, such things had ceased to matter.

Quote:
I have been wondering on some things.
What happened to Freckle`s father?

He died.

Quote:
What about Rocky`s father? Is he alive, if so where is he?

Well, if anyone has an inkling, Rocky’d like to know. He seems to have packed up and left town while Rocky was away out west.

Quote:
How did Rocky screw up his second chance with Aunt Nina?

Mostly by being Rocky. The comic will explain more about this and Rocky and Nina’s not altogether warm relationship, though, so I can’t say much about it right now.

Quote:
Will we see more of Mordecai in the story itself?

Yes, quite a bit.

Quote:
Can you tell us something about Mordecai that you have not written here, on your wiki or in any of the comics?

He’s a little bit proud of his mom.

Quote:
Will we see where Mordecai lives sometime?

If I draw a mini-comic about it at some point, perhaps. He doesn’t tend to keep the same address for very long, though.

Quote:
Viktor`s background is very interesting as it is shown, but he seems quite nice to Mrs.Bapka. Which leads me to the question; What is her first name if you know about it? It would be interesting to know -smiles-

Viktor says he has sometimes heard her called Bittie, an American sounding nickname...but probably her name is Beáta or something like that. He has always just known her as Mrs. Bapka.

Quote:
Do you know that you are absolutely fantastic yet?
That I live in norway and no matter who I ask currently (except people above fifty) ((exception my grandmothers)) knew about Lackadaisy?
I hope you are not getting too stressed but are finding these rather fun to do rather than a chore. I am very glad that you have even published them on the internet.

I didn’t know. Thank you for telling me. That’s heartwarming to hear. =)

Quote:
Rocky, Mordecai, Lacy, Freckle, Nina, Ivy
Virgins?
I NEED TO KNOW

Hehe. As has already been pointed out, Nina is necessarily not a virgin. Even if it’s a Vatican certified, lie-back-and-think-of-England sort of affair, it still counts.
As for the rest, well, I’d answer but it would serve little purpose except to take all the fun (or squickiness) out of speculating. ;P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:01 am GMT 

Nice batch of answers this round, Tracy!

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 am GMT 

Thank you for the answers! You're right, answering the last one might well take out all the speculation, and that would be terrible. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next