THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:23 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Undertaker/Medicament/Gravediggers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 pm GMT 

Warning: Long fan letter.

I would like to now thank Tracy, as the most nerdy/troll-like techie fan of Lackadaisy, for the drawing of the 4-8-2 locomotive in "Gravediggers". I'm assuming it is the old "Frisco" used on the St. Louis-San Francisco run. You clearly put some effort into what must not have been a type of technical drawing you are used to doing. So...

Thank you!

As for the bottles of different whiskeys, I like that you have "Old Crow", and "Old Log Cabin". (very 20's) Is one of the center ones a bottle of "Early Times"? (Oh no! I can't identify a bottle of liquor off the top of my head! Maybe I should do some -hick!- "research")

Again -hick!- Thank you.

A quick stupid question, (this should be in stupid questions, but I writing here now so...)

Does the events in Lackadaisy "Massacre", occur around this flashback? I ask that, since it would fit with Bobby's comment about how the "redneck" was "understandably reticent concerning the whereabouts of his mates..."

Thank you for "Massacre" by the way.

And now I have to make a drawing request. (Image me now begging on hands and knees. For a visual image of me doing this, use Cary Grant). I know you have time limitation problems with work and all, but it is a drawing only you could make.

Ms. Butler, in Gravediggers you have Bobby describe Viktor and Mordecai playing chess in the General store. Please, please, please, please I'm begging you, make a drawing of them playing chess for me and the other nerdy friends of Lackadaisy! (Preferably with Viktor beating Mordecai. (and Mordecai enjoying it!))

Ordinarily I would never be so arrogantly bold to ask you to make a drawing of anything. I hate myself for doing so. After all, you have things to do I know, and it would get in the way of drawing more Canon Lackadaisy. But the image of them playing chess!!!! I.. can't... get... it... out... of... my... head!!!

Forgive me. You certainly may ignore this drawing request. I still have to make it!

And again, thank you for Lackadaisy.

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 pm GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
You think it plausible Mordecai would enjoy being beaten at chess? :)

Revived
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:36 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Revived
I got to say my two favourite things so far has to be Elsa and the shot of Viktor and Mordecai together there...Well AND the hellfire preacher. So three things hehe,Love it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:04 pm GMT 

Location: Avatar from http://www.transformice.com/paroles-de-dev-4/index.php
Graid wrote:
You think it plausible Mordecai would enjoy being beaten at chess?

Well if the mate restored symmetry?

I've been thinking about how those two would play chess. I guess Mordecai would be sort of limited by trying to, say, move matching figures at the same time. You could probably predict that when his first move is E4, his second would be D4, for instance. And he'd castle late.

Viktor on the other hand would be great at playing very aggressively. Normally, that means he'd do a lot of rash moves and lose because of tactical prob....

...wait what am I doing, analyzing imaginary chess matches based on the personality of the players, that are probably not even going to be shown because they're so irrelevant to the story?

And yes, I did look at all the whisky bottles, too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 pm GMT 

Ivy wrote:
TELL ME MORE!

so meta up in here

Boss Lady
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:42 pm GMT 
Administrator

Custom Title: Boss Lady
Thanks for comments and feedback, guys. :)

@Graid - Bobby is originally from Bristol in South West England. He's been living in the States since about the end of the Great War, though, and he's apparently got at least a few Americanisms (like "jellybeans") mixed into his lexicon. Because the narrating he does is, in context, much more important than his specific accent, I decided to go very light on phoneticizing it. (Though, Bristolian, as long as it's not outrageously broad, doesn't seem to me to call for as much of that as something like a Cockney, Scouse or even Manc accent might.)

@ArmsStrong - Hehe. Well, I'm glad you'd be interested in seeing such a picture. I'll see if I can fit one in. No promises, though - I've got some other promised, half-finished projects (like the card deck and refurbished character page) that really need tending to. I probably shouldn't be adding more to the list just now.
If anyone else feels like giving it a try, though, be my guest!

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 am GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
That pic of Mordecai gave me the jeebs.
Also semi-dead Rocky is cutest Rocky.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 am GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
Thanks so much Tracy for putting me out of my accent related misery! Now I can give him a proper voice when I read it! And I appreciate the light phoneticisation actually, even if it caused me confusion. I prefer a subtle portrayal of an English, Scottish or Irish accent rather than attempting to write it out and cram too many dialect-specific phrases in there.

And I would also greatly appreciate seeing Mordecai and Viktor playing chess (hilarious good point about the symmetry, flamewise, it seems like chess would stress someone who liked symmetry so much) if you have the time to get round to it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm GMT 

There are some images better left to the imagination.

Built Like A Sh*t Brick House
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Built Like A Sh*t Brick House
LOVE the preacher guy! I don't know why, I just think he's adorable. And again, how you manage to give differing and expressive faces to cats is beyond me! I need to learn more of the subtle tricks and lines used for age and such. I've gotta admit, I'm still pretty guilty of using the 'smarm brow' from your drawing guide as a common facial expression. :P

i shouldn't post... ever
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 am GMT 

Custom Title: i shouldn't post... ever
There was preview art of stairs with fire, this has not been seen in the comic yet as far as i know. How this troubles me, as much as it means more is coming (hopefully) it could be a flashback, or it could mean Rocky doing what he seems to be best at. If it is not a flashback i hope Elsa & spideryman are ok.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm GMT 

Such a great treat to see any Lackadaisy pages, and even more fun if they're new! Thank you for them, Tracey.

I'm really enjoying following Ivy's adventures, now - she's got some real Lackadaisy spirit(s) in her by the look of it, the way she'd handling things as they go badly. Atta girl!

And I loved the (not entirely unexpected) revelation that she used to run around Lackadaisy as a little kid, and remembers Mordecai and Atlas and Viktor all being together. I have this funny mental picture of Viktor and Mordecai being landed with 'babysitting' duties and a younger Ivy Pepper back in the days... oh the perils of turning to a life of crime!

Thank you for these new pages, and all the ones that have come before, Tracey! You're making something special.

i shouldn't post... ever
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am GMT 

Custom Title: i shouldn't post... ever
Ivy would be like, 11 when prohibition started & i am not sure when they converted the cafe.