THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Bee's Knees
 Post subject: Does this look like Tracy's style?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am GMT 

Custom Title: The Bee's Knees
So I'm a learning hobbyist artist, and the reason I got motivated to draw again was because of Lackadaisy.
Every since then, I've learned a lot by watching loads of tutorials and practicing almost everyday.
So, I've may already have developed my own distinct style, but when it comes to anthropomorphic animals, I really look up to Tracy's style.
I don't know if I may have accidentally stole her style, but whenever I draw anthro cats, it usually looks like this now.
Eh...what do you think?

European! Old! Pretentious!
 Post subject: Re: Does this look like Tracy's style?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 pm GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
It's great you were motivated to practice and improve by looking at the comic- Tracy does indeed produce some rather inspiring and brilliant art.

Regarding your question, that would depend on how you define 'style'. I'd say it's more like character design than artistic style that you've somewhat adopted. The cat looks like Rocky in that he has large eyes, big eyebrows, tabby markings, and a huge grin, plus the general shape of his head is similar.

Edited to add: Maybe it was supposed to be Rocky. In which case, again, I would say you're emulating how Tracy drew him and her character design aspects more than her 'style' necessarily, though I know the two overlap.

The Bee's Knees
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Bee's Knees
Graid wrote:
It's great you were motivated to practice and improve by looking at the comic- Tracy does indeed produce some rather inspiring and brilliant art.

Regarding your question, that would depend on how you define 'style'. I'd say it's more like character design than artistic style that you've somewhat adopted. The cat looks like Rocky in that he has large eyes, big eyebrows, tabby markings, and a huge grin, plus the general shape of his head is similar.

Edited to add: Maybe it was supposed to be Rocky. In which case, again, I would say you're emulating how Tracy drew him and her character design aspects more than her 'style' necessarily, though I know the two overlap.

Nooo... I clearly have took way too much of Tracy's style.
It's not suppose to be Rocky, but I was emulating it with Rocky's design.
It was just one of my doodles I decided to paint on Photoshop.
I would say I want to copy reality, but real life house cats also has similar markings. >.>
Thanks. I might rethink a few stuff when drawing. I don't want to completely adopt Tracy's style. :3

European! Old! Pretentious!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 am GMT 

Custom Title: European! Old! Pretentious!
I think emulating others' character design/style etc is something most people go through when learning to draw- don't worry about it too much for now, just recognise that's a thing you're doing and maybe experiment with doing some different things.

Real cats do indeed have similar markings, however, it's really the design of the head makes me think of Rocky more than the markings, particularly the massive smile and the arch of his eyebrows. Things such as facial proportions, style of eyes, the way you handle the mouth, muzzle and nose and just generally the way you cartoonise the features of a cat are key aspects of style. I suggest you take a look at both real cats and also some other styles of anthromorphic cat, by searching deviant Art, for example. In emulating how Tracy designs Rocky here, you have kept a similar way of cartoonising the cheeks, mouth and nose of a cat- short, flattish muzzle, no preservation of the kind of 3 shape of the connection between nose and mouth that cats have, cheek fur sticking out the same way, etc. (To illustrate what I mean about the sort of 3 shape of the nose and mouth, my avatar actually provides an example).

Still, none of this would be suggesting 'Rocky' as strongly as it currently is if he wasn't grinning like that!