THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The 90s Rave Scene Personified
 Post subject: Cutthroat Business [Theme Of Lackadaisy]
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The 90s Rave Scene Personified
Seeing as the forum lacks a 'music' section, I placed this little thing here. Hope that's alright.

As I mentioned over in the introductions thread, I make music. I make a lot of music, in fact, and under a lot of names and aliases. Generally it's different types of electronic music I make; techno, drum 'n bass, synthpop, weird electronic nonsense, but I have a soft spot for pretty much all kinds of music, and in the last year and a half or so, my music has begun to reflect that quite heavily. One of the aliases I now work with- The Twisted Kerchiefs, a fictional jazz fusion band- actually came about at least in part because of the comic, and so I could do this one song; a fanmade theme song for Lackadaisy!

http://soundcloud.com/103_records/cutthroat-business-theme-of

I wish I could say I was talented enough to have played all the elements in the song by hand, but alas, the most I could manage is possibly the piano and organ stuff (and then, just barely); this was all done using a sample based program. The style of the song is also somewhat anachronistic in some ways, but I did keep to a general jazz/big band structure and feel, and the most 'advanced' instrument used in the song is the use of electronic organs (all of which are samples from classic Hammond organs, so we#re talking early electronic organs). There's a bit of a 'chorus verse bridge A bridge B' structure to the whole thing, but there's plenty of improvisation going on- and though there are definate leitmotifs throughout the whole piece, it does keep changing in one way or another. As for the general tone of the whole thing, I was shooting for something that, if you'll pardon the oxymoron, sounded like "high class sleaze". Something that would perfectly suit a situation where well dressed cats with severe OCD murder the wazoo out of other cats in impeccibly violent ways all in the name of getting everybody absolutely plum-bollocked in a time when such shenanigans would land you jail time.

This track was actually in progress for quite a while; I got wound up in various personal projects and doing the odd bit for other things here and there over the last two years, so I kept chipping away at this song on/off probably since late 2011, and it's only just tonight that I finally sat down and broke past the 35% done barrier and completed the whole thing, and needless to say I'm quite proud of it. Now I can only hope that one day I'll be able to do a live arrangement of the song using real instruments (assuming budding violinists a) still exist and b) put their number in the yellow pages).

I hope you all enjoy listening to the song as much as I enjoyed working on it! I'll be updating this thread with a download link once one becomes available.

Post subject: Re: Cutthroat Business [Theme Of Lackadaisy]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:38 pm GMT 

nice, music section on lackadaisy forum, I hope its not only jazz.

Post subject: Re: Cutthroat Business [Theme Of Lackadaisy]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 am GMT 

Nice! I've marked it as a favorite. :)