THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

For reasons unknown.
 Post subject: Nightmare
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm GMT 

Custom Title: For reasons unknown.
Knock.

Charlie lowered his head on the table's level. The glass had been almost properly placed. He slowly extended his arm towards the ceiling, lowering it in a perfectly circular motion. He gently took hold of the glass with his thumb and middle finger, moved it exactly two milimetres to the right, checked again if it was in the right position, then swiftly lifted his head back up, hitting the bookshelf.

He simply sat there for a while, pointlessly staring at the old tablelamp. The smell was revolting, but it was the best he could provide himself with. Lamp oil was a rarity these days, everybody had to improvise more or less.
He looked around. Everything was the same. The old shelves would fall apart any minute, had he not built an intricate support with his broomstick. The windowframes were bloated, cracking from time to time; years of humidity had taken their toll, yet the streetlamp's ghastly halo could still provide him with a little extra illumination. Most books were illegible, but the ones that weren't were treasure, true gems of mankind's continuous struggle with itself.

I've got to get this over with before 5:30. I don't want the keeper to find me here.

Charlie pulled a large red book from under the table. Bookmark I, page 234.

"In all major religious traditions, the experience of a nocturnal emission is considered a curse, a connection with the devil. Western christianity personifies this phenomenon, giving it both a male and female form, the incubus and succubus respectively. These are demons who supposedly mate with the sleeping individual, thus producing the result of an emission. Male and female stimulation during the night is considered the result of devilish corruption in eastern religions as well. In Islam, a long ritual has to take place when a believer experiences nocturnal emissions, which involves him bathing three times a day, in the morning, at noon and in the evening, in order for the "filth" to leave his body. Until the third time no other man or woman is to have any contact, physical or social, with the believer. He is considered an outcast, a reject, by everyone, especially his family."

Charlie took a sip of water.

"Nocturnal emissions, however, play an important role in sustaining both a healthy condition of the genitalia and a balanced psychological state. Dreams of sexual desire are natural and often in occurrence, providing the person with an expression of their sexuality, thus contributing to a satisfaction of their unconscious needs. Such dreams occur more frequently to individuals with highly repressed sexual urges, whereas those who freely satisfy their desire for company have been proven even to have never had such experiences."

Charlie took the pen, dipped it in the inkwell and started writing.

Until now I have never managed to sleep properly. Most I can achieve is an hour and a half. I once fell asleep for more than four hours and experienced full stimulation. Every day I bathe for more than two hours, the soap has almost burnt the skin around my genitals. I have little money to spend and I purchase nothing but soap. I haven't eaten for three days, since Saturday when I boiled half a rotting apple I found on the street and drank the water.

I am living in a nightmare. You have no idea what it means to be afraid to fall asleep. You have no idea what it takes to have to wake up every twenty minutes and wash yourself from head to toe. I have devised certain improvisatory methods to keep me from sleeping, mostly by inducing pain to myself in various ways. Since I wear the same clothes every day, whenever I'm home, I stay naked so that I don't make them dirty.

I don't know what I can do. I have no option. No money to spend, as I wrote earlier. I saw how you treated the old man at the central square. I believe you are not like the rest whitecoats I've seen. I can't take this any longer.

Please help me.

Charlie jumped as a loud noise emanated from the corridor. It was similar to the wind, or perhaps to a singing whale, but it certainly shouldn't have sounded at that particular moment.

The generator is running again, so soon? Why did he come here this early?

Charlie quickly hid the book, unlit the lamp and jumped out of the window and to the street. Holding the letter with his left hand, he hastily signed

Charles H. Becker

and put it in a leather bag.

Doctor Greaves, you've got mail.

What, so soon? It's only Tuesday.

I know, but somebody has left you an envelope.

Oh well, let's see what's in it, then.

For reasons unknown.
 Post subject: Re: Nightmare
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:19 pm GMT 

The clock's repetitive percussion was driving him mad.

Is there any possibility we can converse in a different room?

There are clocks in every room, Charles. You'll have to make do, I'm afraid.

I can't stand it! I'm going to bang my head on it until it breaks.

Calm down. Nodoby is here to hurt you.
You've been here for a week and you still haven't gotten used to the sound?

I'll NEVER get used to it.

Perhaps we should try a different method, then.

Greaves struggled to stand up, losing the balance on his right leg and almost falling down. He immediately held his back, slowly straightened his posture while producing various painful grunts, then walked towards the large cupboard.

His swift gesture prompted Charlie to do the same.

Alright, here it is.

Yeah, I can see that.

Look at it. Examine it. Try to understand it.

Charlie was suddenly fixated on the clock's hands.

What do you see?

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
(I hope I'm not being rude by posting, but...I'm rather lost, what's going on?)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 pm GMT 

(it's the story of a man suffering from acute mental illness)

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:39 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
(Um...okay. I suppose it makes a bit more sense now.)

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm GMT 

[EDIT: The first version of this post was, in my opinion, horribly written. I'll write the new one a bit later.]

[EDIT #2: Here it is.]

A smell divine. Sweet and warm, deep, inviting. He gently lifted his nose from her hair and touched her fingers. While unconsciously examining her index, they started to dance. Never heard this particular piece before, supposedly one of her favourites. Quite strange; no predetermined positions.

Her long grey skirt was almost entangled around him as the duo spun around in circles. A strange sensation had hypnotized his body: he didn't feel alive, neither in space nor in time. It all seemed like a long moment, the room was the whole world.

He was in her eyes; already one with her. The couple were somehow floating on air. Every object, every shadow around them had been mixed together, a shade of earthly red was all thery could see.

Her eyes. They suddenly turned all white.
Charlie gasped, backing off immediately.

Huh? What the...?

Why, Charles? she said in a calm, sad tone.

All these years, why?

He tried to run for the door. She wouldn't let him. A tight grip on his arm.

Why?

Let me go! I want to leave!

Without a second thought, he pulled himself away with what little strength he had. Her arm was torn off.

Why?

Charles? Are you alright Charles?

Sweating and panting, he replied I... I think so...

So, what happenned? What did you see?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 am GMT 

Touching story of man suffering from acute mental illness!
You have done a good job on this!
Great storyline but it will be great if you write a synopsis in the end as it will be easy to understand