THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Embodiment of contradictions
 Post subject: I see this all the time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:35 am GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
No really, it's almost as bad as drawer's spite. I see "I'm bad at it" this and "I can't do it" that and I'm bleh of it. So I'll make a thread about writing tips. (I got like 20 minutes here so it'll be short until I can type the rest)

1. Just start.
Seriously, same thing with just anything. Three words is alot less depressing to look at than nothing. Write literally anything, just get something down.

2. Don't be afraid to write badly.
For every Old man and the sea and 1984, there's a thousand Twilights standing behind them. Write terribly, and have the courage to do so. You don't START with a finished, shining bit of writing perfection and just ship it out (Unless you're like Ernest Hemingway or some shit, then sup Mr. Hemingway.) Dig through dirt to get to gold.

3. Get a rough draft.
Now that you've started and started badly, finish. Don't correct as you go. Don't even do typos. Just get all your thoughts down while they're still there, because you WILL forget them.

Also

4. Alot of writing is not good writing.
If it sounds better shorter, make it shorter. Don't add filler. Don't go overboard with the descriptions. Don't spend 30 minutes on dictionary.com looking up 12 synonyms for allegory. Make it as long as it needs to be, not as long as you want it to be. Don't use it as an excuse though; You can always write more, and it's almost always better if you can write more. Almost.

5. Read.
Go to the library and become the bestest goddamn friends with the librarian. Check out every book that's had a gold sticker from some prestigious conglomerate of letters or confusing words. Read them front to back and think the whole time. Just read anything really, even the newspaper will suffice.

And last but not least, have some damn confidence in yourself. If you tell yourself you're gonna fail, then regardless of the outcome, you fail. Instead, tell yourself you're gonna learn. That's all we ever do. We never fail, we learn. (Hurrdurrdurr inspirational music)

Anyway, that's my haypenny's worth of sense. Cents. Scents. Whatever. Just post more advice so I don't stand here looking like a douche.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

Here For Your Entertainment
 Post subject: Re: I see this all the time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Here For Your Entertainment
This is ace.

I would like to add to smarticus' suggestion, voraciously snap up writing books with high ratings.

And at that, get into your character's mind. Find out what makes them tick. Don't just slap some stereotypes and basic emotions on. I'd highly recommend The Writer's Guide to Psychology by Carolyn Kaufman if you want to write a psychologist, psychiatrist, or someone with psychological disorders, which many people do. It helps you write them accurately without having to go purchase a DSM-V.

Also, don't compare yourself to other writers. It will just discourage you, especially considering that everyone has various levels of experience and has been writing for a different amount of years.

Chopper's Quirky, Curious, & Corrupt Menagerie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 am GMT 

I'd like to suggest using Write or die for those who have trouble shutting up the inner critic in their head. Works wonders if you're willing to put time into it. I'll get the link when I get home (unless someone could post it for me :P).

You don't want to be me.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:34 am GMT 

Custom Title: You don't want to be me.
Write or die. Comes available as an application for your iPhing or desktop machine. Check the 'web app' in the sidebar, which is the free, online version. It'll punish you for not writing, so get writing!

My tip in writing: Just look at the world around you. Good or bad, dull or interesting, you'll probably get something to inspire you. Don't ignore the world.

Treasury Department
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:04 am GMT 

Custom Title: Treasury Department
Pfft. What has the world done for me, that I should pay such attention to it? :p

Award-winning fan-fic:Serve and Protect

Want more Viktor/Mordecai? Lackadaisy: Missing Linkage.

"I might know something about a wiki."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 pm GMT 

It gave you nutella and bacon.

If you've ever played Bastion, just imagine life like that. Make the Old Stranger narrate all the things you do. It's not only creepy and guaranteed to make people avoid you if you do it out loud, but it also helps later on, when you're sitting in front of your keyboard stressing over what to tippity tap.

I think, therefore I am
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm GMT 

Custom Title: I think, therefore I am
I've stopped crumpling up my works of evil because they're damned funny to read. it's all "ANGSTANGSTANGST" and for the most part and i'm able to avoid past failures.

smarticus you seem very talented with writing and placing the swares perfectly to produce a humorous twist to things. I'm sorry I just shined your boots but It's a habit of mine, spitting when I write.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm GMT 

If you'll allow me to rip out a jammin' solo on this flute of mine, it's probably due to the fact that I read an entire library before I could walk. Everything from Monte Cristo's count to the casks of Amontillado fell to my piercing, greasy gaze.
Personally, I think I'm terrible at it, but that might just be a textbook case of the Dunning–Kruger effect; at least according to American standardized testing. Everyone keeps telling me "Oh David, you're so good at this; you should go into editing and be a big star with books and woobloobblooboobloob *Gratuitous arm flailing*" to which I always reply "No, I suck at this and everything I do is terrible!", at which point my table finds itself overturned and the papers atop it flutter through the room with such grace as to put John Woo to shame.

But then again I should probably get in contact with some English colleges, purely on the principle of "Every test I take lands me in Ivy vines". Even more pertinent though; I really need to respond to some of my threads. Gods, it's been like 2 months.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 pm GMT 

As an addenda to a rough draft, I'd recommend first bullet points if it's long, rather like writing a report. It gives structure. Rather helpful to have. Gives a sense of where you're going.

If you ain't smart, you better be quick.