THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:06 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: From the Ashes 「Artemis」
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
Ioan stood there looking at her for a moment, dark brows pulled together in thought. Did he trust? Could he trust? She had made it this long with just her and the old woman, perhaps now they wouldn't get in. Not with someone more able bodied awake in the house to make sure that things stayed locked and what not. He chewed his lip for a moment before he finally nodded his head, smiling a little slyly at her. "It'd be nice if we could sleep at the same time," he said with a little wink. She'd said not right now, but that wasn't no, and that wasn't a 'stop flirting with me now' either.

"Wake me up at around midnight, or whenever you get tired, okay?" he went on, nodding his head and turning towards the bedroom. Or at least the room with the bed. "It wouldn't be a horrible idea if you stayed close by either. Just in case. So that way I can be awake in time in case something happens, ya know..."

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

better than all of you hippeis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 am GMT 

Custom Title: better than all of you hippeis
"You were the one who suggested watches..." She shrugged. His thoughtful pause left her a little worried though, she had to prove herself able to him and she knew it. Amy nodded at his suggestions, waving them off. "The attic's floor doesn't have any insulation to keep noise out anyway. I can always talk louder than a normal inside voice." It had been the best place to overhear conversations when she was a kid. "I can handle myself, now shoo."

As the night outside darkened Amy kept an uneventful watch. When the creaks which came from the mattress above told her that Ioan had ceased whatever tossing and turning he had done she let out that tightness in the back of her throat. Snivelling and being overly pathetic so it wouldn't pour out at some embarrassing time was best done when one was alone in the dark after all.

Just as she'd been finishing up crying, a large gust of wind hit the house and with it the front door popped too. Amy'd been sitting in the main hall way when it occurred, so it was fair to say she'd jumped at the sudden movement. But after finding that it was just the wind and not something more sinister her heart rate began to slow. She approached the door, knuckles turning white when she pushed it back into place with her hockey stick. She locked it and pulled it without twisting the door knob.

The result left her almost swinging her stick into the drywall. It opened smoothly, the lock having stopped the door from properly closing in the first place. She could see it now. A walker, perchance managing to push against the door, her oma waddling to open the door to her room, retreating inside after a brief scuffle. It ended with her getting bit and turning inside her room for Amy to find later. The walker left and the door closed on its own by chance.

Amy felt angry, angry enough to kill whatever locksmith or god thought it was funny that a lock should decide her oma’s fate. But the anger was dulled by a tiredness that sapped energy out of her bones. Her brain bypassed her emotions and set about making some fortifications. She went through the motions of barricading the door with the hallway bookcase, letting the tired ache lead her.

Her feet carried her to the attic where she blearily sat down her stick and shucked off her shoes before realising that Ioan currently took up the bed. It was almost enough to turn her back around and find somewhere to sleep on the floor. But sleeping on the floor after the luck of the world shat on you sounded pretty bad to her. It wasn't like he'd wanted his own bed anyway…

So with that reasoning in mind Amy quietly walked to the mattress, slipping underneath the covers and doing her best to not touch the somewhat still form of Ioan.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57 am GMT 

It took him a while to really let go of the tension and sleep. He was used to being on his own. Used to only getting to doze lightly for a few minutes at a time before he was off again. Always got better sleep in the day. They seemed slower then. Less active. But they were still there, they still roamed and fed. But he trusted her enough to at least scream if there was danger. She'd done so well at that before. He just hated that he was probably so far away from her. What if he couldn't make it down the stairs in time?

He was awoken at some point, the sounds of crying carrying up to him. He knew it was her right away and rolled over to go back to sleep. He wasn't about to come down and comfort her, or say anything about it in the morning either. She had waited for him to go to bed before she had started crying, she didn't want his comfort. And he was alright with that. The door slamming open jolted him awake, but she didn't cry out and he only heard her footsteps in the quite house. So when she didn't call and he heard no struggle, he settled back down to sleep again, taking what he could while she wanted to be awake.

He'd drifted off the slightest bit when he felt movement in the bed. But it didn't smell of death and her breathing was normal and not raspy. It was Amy. Climbing into bed with him. Slowly, he rolled onto his side to lay facing her in the darkness. "You were suppose to wake me up when you wanted to go to bed," he murmured teasingly. "Or did you want to share the bed with me that badly?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm GMT 

Amy cringed at Ioan's voice, sighing while she settled herself a little more comfortably. Her silence might have told him what the darkness couldn't; her blush had come up again, strong and true again. "Thought you were asleep..." she mumbled, turning on her side to mirror his position. "And when I decided to go to sleep you just happen to be on the bed, alright?" She swatted him a little and chuckled, but it faded away quickly.

"I found how the walker got in, the one that turned my oma," she said after a long pause, voice small and quiet. "The front door's lock was... The lock was fucked," she summarised, shrugging a little. "I don't know what I'd expected, but not something so... basic as that! It feels preventable, like if I'd stayed I could have stopped it happening, but if I think like that I'll go crazy and..."

Amy took a deep breath, letting it out through her nose. "Sorry. What's important is that I blocked that entrance. If everything else is as secure as it was before then we should be able to get some decent sleep at least." The smile had crept back into her voice by then, and she shuffled toward the main body of the mattress some more, definitely not to be closer with Ioan. "Though you don't seem to be much of a sound sleeper anyway." Had he heard her...? The thought flashed through her mind once more and Amy's hidden blush deepened.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:10 am GMT 

It did seem so awful that it had been something so simple, so preventable. But she was right, dwelling on it would only make things worse. She might have been able to save her grandma. She might not have. They both could have been turned and both be zombies now. There was no way of knowing and playing the what if game never helped anyone out before, it hadn't changed now that the world was over. Not a lot changed with people. Or things shouldn't change. But they had some.

He shrugged some, the movement translated through the mattress. "After a night on the road, you'll be a light sleeper too," he said with a soft little chuckle. He still said nothing about hearing her crying earlier. He didn't want her to feel even more embarrassed or anything like that with him. "It's either that or die. And I think a little less sleep is preferable to death. I feel that way at least."

Ioan felt her shifting in the bed some, coming closer to him. He knew it wasn't because of him, knew it wasn't because she wanted to be close to him. Or at least not consciously, or because it was him. He understood wanting comfort from having someone close by. "If you wake up with me holding you, I'm sorry," he chuckled. "I don't normally share my bed with someone that I'm not at least a little intimate with. You can just shove me off."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:12 am GMT 

Ioan seemed to not be mentioning what he had or hadn’t heard; helping Amy’s face cool down a little. It was a good sign. Very good indeed. It allowed her to pretend that she’d been just as quiet as she’d hoped and he hadn’t heard her, so when morning came she could look him in the eye all unembarrassed. The darkness of the room helped delay the actual eye contact for now at least. It was easier to focus on him as a bit of shadow. In any case she could ignore that possibility for now; allowing herself to groan as he spelled out her eventual fate. "I enjoy my sleep like any other girl, but I do suppose life is better than... unlife? Not entirely won on that," she wondered, too earnest to be anything but kidding. Before… everything she’d thought sleep to be some necessary evil, but faced with losing her right to a deep cycle and suddenly she was dreading it a little.

At his warning she smiled, shuffling her body to get comfortable. "What, no wise crack about preserving body heat?" She tutted then, trying to make a wistful sigh but ending up with an unvoiced yawn instead. It didn't make much sense to keep her eyelids open, not in the dark like this. So she followed reason. "Don't worry,” she assured. “I'm good at shoving. You might end up on the floor even." Amy hummed after that, breath slowing down as she let her eyes stay closed. She mumbled something unintelligible to Ioan and then drifted off to sleep. The day had caught up with her at long last. And besides general anxiety about the future, she went to sleep with a hope that the weight on the mattress might just make her feel less alone.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:00 am GMT 

"I thought that was implied by where we now," he chuckled lowly, settling down in the mattress more. He wasn't snuggled up against her yet, but her body heat was there under the blankets with him and that was making him more drowsy than he had been before. He knew he was going to wake up with his arms around her. He always did when he shared a bed. But the lack of company he'd had of late, and not just in his bed, was something he knew would only encourage him to snuggle up against her.

It took him only a little time before he drifted off again. He woke at creaks and loud whispers of the wind. But nothing ever came of it and he drifted off again. Amy seemed to sleep a lot more soundly than him, but he knew that was going change once they were out in the wild world. He had slept soundly once upon a time too. That just wasn't the case anymore.

Sure enough, when dawn started to prick at the world, lighting it slowly and turning the sky pink and blue, Ioan had his long arms around Amy's middle loosely, his nose in her hair and breathing in her scent. He was only half awake, unwilling to leave the safety of the bed, or the warm feelings in his chest from having someone so close to him again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 am GMT 

Thinking of it as her last good night of sleep encouraged her to let go and go straight into a deep sleep. The little bumps in the night went all but unnoticed by her, who'd only briefly sputtered awake at imagining a gust of wind as a groan. In the early hours she became increasingly more aware of warmth and an enveloping comfort. She was a bit of a cuddler herself, pressing up against the chest and nuzzling into it occasionally.

Her mind unhelpfully niggled about leaving and the open road and a purpose of finding her father. For some time she managed to ignore those thoughts and melt into the arms. But as the feeling of having to do something grew stronger, Amy found herself becoming more aware of her body. Which included feeling the chest she'd curled up against, and the face in her hair, and the arms around her waist. She stiffened instinctively, eyes opening far wider than they wanted to as she struggled to remember who exactly she'd cuddled up into. For a moment she was worried she'd forgotten his name, but then in a burst of clarity it came to her again. Ioan. As if knowing his name made it all better her muscles relaxed and her traitorous body tempted her to rest for a while yet. Her conscience rudely informed her that they were burning daylight and Amy was a sucker for listening to common sense.

Gently Amy disentangled herself from Ioan's arms, occasionally making good on Ioan's acceptance of getting shoved. "Morning," she yawned when there was a decent patch of mattress between them.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:12 am GMT 

When she came more awake and pushed herself out his arms he grumbled and weakly tried to pull her back to him. She was warm and solid and it made him feel far less lonely. Like he could pretend for a few moments that the world hadn't gone tits up and he had something more than just some girl he'd met the day before by saving her from flesh eating zombies. That they were something more. Which they weren't and probably never would be.

But in the end her let her go, rolling to his back and pushing his side up against hers to stretch out his back and limbs slowly. "Suppose it is," he said with a yawn, cringing at the popping of his joints. He sat himself up on his elbows and looked down at her next to him. She was rather pretty in the early morning light. Even with her bed fussed hair and the slightest hints of the tears she'd cried alone the night before. He reached one of his hands over and cupped her jaw softly in his work roughed fingers. "You're really pretty," he said after a moment, like he hadn't thought a lick about what was coming out of his mouth.

When he did realize what he'd said he dropped his hand from her face and he sat himself up fully, stretching his arms above his head again as something to do to keep him from feeling a bit too awkward about what he'd just done. "We should probably start getting ready to go," he said offhandedly, looking back to her for a moment and smiling a little crocked half smile at her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm GMT 

Maybe being half-asleep made everyone a little crazy. It sure felt that way, with Ioan pulling her closer when she pushed away and Amy's own lack of desire to recoil as she felt him stretch up against her.

If she'd been half-awake before, Ioan's touch and open words made her hyper aware and as awake as if firecrackers had just gone off in the room. Instinctively she breathed in through parted lips and looked down. She bided off the blush she knew was coming on by repeatedly telling herself that she'd imagined it, that there was no way that he could say that about her of all people, that he'd mistaken her for whomever he was used to waking up next to. Her hair wasn't only messy but her roots were coming through, she had blemishes, her eyes still felt all hot and sore from the night before... Ioan was attractive, despite his many-times-broken nose, and funny and flirty and a bazillion other things that made him out of her league, or something like that. But hope that maybe he hadn't been completely out of it made her chest flutter and a 'thank you' almost come out of her lips. Then his hand was gone and he sat up and the moment was no more.

She could have asked him about it, but he seemed to be doing his best to put it behind him. So Amy decided to hold back her teasing, at least for now. "I packed when you were in the shower," she supplied, pushing herself up to sit next to him without all of the stretching. "So we should be off soon." She smiled a little back at his crooked smile, an expression she decided she didn't like as much as his grin. This thought made her feel awkward as well, though she didn't blurt it out. Feeling the need for movement she got to her feet, leaning side to side as she languidly stretched her arms above her. "You all right for skipping breakfast?" Breakfast had been surprisingly dismal over the later weeks, either stale or otherwise just another canned meal, which could take a while to prepare. Even eating it would delay their going.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:40 am GMT 

"I guess," he grumbled. He had been skipping breakfast for a long time. Before this all went down even. But when you got limited safe places to be calm and eat without almost choking, you took those times. But she likely didn't have much in the way of breakfast foods and he would be alright without it. He clambered out of the bed, standing up and making a surprised noise at the popping of one of his knees. He was young, but he'd worked his body hard over the years and as a result he creaked in the mornings like he was a man much older than he was.

He turned back around and offered his hands to Amy to help her out of the bed. "You got any maps?" he asked, remembering what he'd said about needing to do some sort of planning before they really took off. He figured she might not. But her grandmother might have. Old ladies always seemed to have maps. Half the old ladies who'd been kind enough to take him in when times were rough and feed him, invite him over after a Sunday Mass for some tea, they had maps of the US, old and with pins in it from all the places they had traveled with their husbands when taking road trips was part of the American dream. But he wasn't dumb enough to say anything about her grandmother right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm GMT 

Amy took his offered hands, pulling herself up easily with the added help. It came with the unexpected effect of bumping chests, but Amy managed to successfully push down any flustered blushes. "Yeah, in the study there's a few." She wondered if it was tact that made him not mention her oma or simplicity. He had seemed quite... onto it for a great many of things, so she decided on the former.

It took her a while to realise that the reason they were standing so close was because she was still holding his hands. And the fact that she hadn't stepped back. That could have something to do with it. "C-Come on then," she said, turning around and quickly breaking contact before she could do something stupid like get all embarrassed. "It's downstairs."

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 pm GMT 

He stood there for a moment, looking at her after she'd answered his question. She was still holding his hands, and standing rather close to him as well, and he found that rather nice. He smiled at her a little playfully before she noticed and turned, breaking the contact of their hands and expanding the space between their bodies again. He chuckled a little bit, walking after her and rubbing at the back of his neck as he yawned softly.

He kept a sort of vigilance up as they went, still glancing over his shoulder like he expected something to be behind them. He couldn't shake it. He knew he was safe there. Or safer at least than he was on the streets on his own. But he wasn't going to be stupid enough to just trust to that. He thought that he'd been safe in his apartment before and that hadn't been the case. Though Amy had held out longer before trouble had come busting in. He had to trust to that. Even if he wasn't going to give up his habit of double checking.

"So other than Philly we don't really have a firm location on where your dad was last, right?" he asked, trying to make some sort of conversation not about her grandmother and not about what had just happened.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:11 am GMT 

Amy was far more skittish in her surveillance. She wasn't used to this. Ioan had her self-conscious of how lax she'd previously been with the cool, natural way he took stock. Everything had been so simple before. They'd wait out until the army came, right? That was all there was to it and as the average citizen all they had to do was sit tight. If she'd been more aware, if she'd checked and double checked and triple checked, would things have gone differently?

His question was a welcome distraction. "He was just finishing up a job there when the phone lines stopped. He's a plumber. Could just stay in one place and set up shop, but he's too nomadic. Loves to move around the country in this old caravan," she wistfully said, a smile creeping into her voice. "God I hated that rust-bucket. I was so embarrassed by it when I was a teenager. Sometimes I'd break into those show apartments, lie out on the bed and pretend that I had my own room where I could close the door... Until security came and dragged me out." She chuckled, then bit her lip. "Sorry, I'm rambling." But going back then had helped her clear her head a little, so for that she cast Ioan a thankful glance.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm GMT 

He had to admit that he was only half listening to what she was saying about her childhood. It wasn't that he wasn't interested. Just that he couldn't devote all his attention to that just that moment. He'd already been lax enough in his security the night before with her. He needed to make sure that he didn't let that trend continue and things go badly for them. He had to look out for the both of them now. Like he hoped she would learn to do as well. If this had been a conversation had over drinks at a bar, he would have been fully focused on her.

"No worries," he said with a chuckle and a rather sweet smile. "Don't mind the rambling." And he didn't really. Even if he'd not fully listened to everything she'd just said. He looked up at a door they'd come to, nodding his head towards it. "The study?" he asked, reaching for the handle to open the door for the both of them and usher her in ahead of him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next