THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:11 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

That motherfumbler!
 Post subject: Independent Study ((skywishes))
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm GMT 

Custom Title: That motherfumbler!
Aspen had once heard it said that boredom was the plague of the brilliant. If that was the case, then she was a second Einstein, because this Spring afternoon she was fairly wallowing in ennui. The most interesting customers never came after eleven in the morning (shady people, after all), and she couldn't expect the reluctant, 'can't-be-seen-by-my-peers' kids and faithless husbands until after nine p.m. So, perched on a stool behind the counter of Mailen's Apothecary, the Cajun girl had set to her experiments. Mailen herself was an avid advocate of the 'try until things happen' method of inquiry, and she let Aspen use anything inexpensive as long as she shared her discoveries.

Mailen's object was to make cheaper versions of established potions for sale to the desperate.
Aspen's was to make tools for her future.

But as she ground the porcupine quills into powder, the redheaded girl could only sigh. Nothing seemed to be working. The components made sense for a potion to induce unsettled sleep, but every mouse she had tested it on had turned blue within two days instead. This was her ninth try this week, and the only ingredient that could help was expensive. She certainly didn't feel like spending her paycheck on it!

So Aspen ground the porcupine quills up, her notebook open on the counter as she reconsidered her choices.

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
--Woody Allen

The Lovely Other Dinosaur
 Post subject: Re: Independent Study ((skywishes))
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Lovely Other Dinosaur
Rosemary didn't really know if she should be doing this, but she had come this far and turning back now would do nothing but induce a little more self-loathing for wussing out and wasting the one and only opportunity for this type of shopping trip until summer. And that was too far away. If she wanted to get her certifications done by next October, she'd need all the help she could get. And that meant practical studying as well as theory. So yes. She was going to go into the shady Apothecary and pick up a few things that she couldn't get a hold of otherwise, unless she took to breaking into the potion supply at school.

Carefully, she parked her bike outside the storefront in Knockturn Alley and locked it to a lamp post. After a pause, she put a low-level protection jinx on it too. Granted, she doubted anyone would try to steal it, but this was Knockturn Alley. Someone might think it funny to melt it or something. Then, she straightened her jacket and her baseball cap, patted her jeans pocket to make sure her list and the money was there still, and stepped inside.

Though she had a particular list that she couldn't deviate from, Rosie couldn't help but want to gawk for a bit. Most of the stuff she could pluck from the shelves for herself, and with little eye-brow raising: Glass stirrers, cork and rubber stoppers, chamomile, violets, and mint. It was what was behind the counter that would be the issue, but a lot of the places in Knockturn didn't bother with credentials as long as you could pay the price and didn't make a fuss. And for now, she went about on her business, knowing that the less suspicious she looked, the better.

She almost didn't notice that the red-headed woman at the counter was one of her sister's better friends until she was already walking past her. That was why Madison came here to purchase her anti-pregnancy potion. Crap. Briefly, she wondered if it was too late to run, but then decided that it wasn't worth it. Aspen was sharp, she knew she was there. Running now would be stupid, because she would poke and prod and jinx until she knew why Rosie had run out of her shop. And, hell, maybe the girl could offer advice. If it didn't cost too much. She straightened her back and scooped up a basket, and then went on to shop.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 pm GMT 

((Is Rosie seventeen yet? If not, I don't think it's legal for her to cast spells outside of school.))

"Well." The single word was loaded, curling smoothly out of Aspen's mouth like cigarette smoke. Now, what was little modest-mouse Rosie doing in her corner of London? She couldn't believe that the girl would come willingly within five feet of her, much less in the creaking, dimly-lit, menacing Knockturn Alley. She was well acquainted with the younger student's quiet, understated strength at this point (the aftermath of the werewolf incident had shown her that in detail), but there were other apothecaries in Diagon Alley. Shops that didn't feature a jar of eyeballs of uncertain species in the front window. That meant that Rosie had come here for a reason. A very...particular, secretive, not-necessarily-legal reason. The very thought brought a grin to Aspen's face.

But for now she played it cool. The Cajun added the ground-up quills and wrote the step down in her notebook. The bowl of ingredients resembled a potpourri, but if everything worked out Aspen would have a powder with an appealing taste to put in a teabag. Pausing to consider for a moment, Aspen stood up and turned to pull down a small, gnarled root from the shelf behind her. She needed something to counteract the valerian, it was too good at putting the subject to sleep. The purpose was a restless sleep, so she merely needed to temper the effects, not eliminate them...

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:43 pm GMT 

The word made her twitch and stand ram-straight for a moment. When nothing else was said, Rosie allowed herself to breathe again, and went about her business after nodding in hello to the other girl. She had no idea what to expect now that Aspen had seen her and noticed her, but Rosie saw the obvious signs of work as she had passed her. She wouldn't disturb her while she was working, and while Rosie herself had a few hours until the commuter train back to Oxford, lingering here was probably unwise. She wandered among the shelves, pulling things down and looking over them carefully, before setting them back. She almost allowed herself to grab a few of the most interesting books on potions and remedies she had seen, but didn't. This was probably going to be an expensive shopping trip and she needed to be careful before she knew how much this was going to cost her.

Still, her frugality didn't stop her from purchasing without a little style: The glass stirrers she chose were deep emerald, with gentle twist at the top. She considered picking up one of the silver stirrers, too, but she never had a problem with them; her glass ones tended to crack when she was frustrated. Rosie put them down, though, and meandered over where the herbs were kept and gathered for herself a few ounces of chamomile, violet flowers, and fresh mint. She dithered for a moment, and then took a few ounces of Valerian, too.

As she made her way to the counter, a small set of rubber stoppers was tossed in the basket as well, and she paused again on the books. No, she didn't need them. She wanted them, but she could get them next time. If there was a next time. She turned away from them with a sigh, and went to stand by the counter, watching but not interrupting Aspen work. But soon, curiosity got the better of her, and she stepped closer and asked quietly, almost shyly, "What are you working on?"

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm GMT 

Aspen watched Rosie out of the corner of her eye, though her head remained bent over her work. Very interesting. Nothing that would necessitate a visit here just yet. Of course, they kept the peculiar stuff safe behind the counter, and the dangerous, illegal stuff in the back room. If Rosie was going to justify her visit, she was going to have to ask Aspen for it herself.

"Sleepin' potion," Aspen said when the other girl asked, the lie slipping out easily. Well, it wasn't a total lie anyway. She just didn't say what kind of sleep it was for. "De owner o'dis place laks to make potions wit cheapah ingredients. Sorta lak ovah-de-countah meds t'replace a prescription, ya know?" Her grin predatory, she set to grinding the accumulated components with a mortar and pestle. "But whut Ah'm mo' intr'sted in is why ma petite Loupette," she had taken to calling the other girl by the gentle, canine nickname since the attack, a sweet spin on her now more wolfish state, "'As taken 'erself down ta such a place as Knockturn Alley. Ya lost, dollface?"

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm GMT 

Rosie edged closer to watch Aspen work, now more curious that she knew that it was a potion under development, nodding when the girl explained in her soft, thick drawl. "That's very smart," she commented, reaching up to play with the locket around her neck. It was a small habit, fidgeting with the chain when distracted. But she dropped it and shifted in a way that almost seemed guilty when posed with the question of why she was here. She didn't flinch at the pet name, either. It wasn't a hurtful thing she was calling her, and it was pretty-sounding. Childishly, it made Rose herself feel less plain, when Aspen called her that. Loupette. No, the name never bothered her, but the question did. It was risky, going here, and it was going to be even riskier to ask for what she wanted.

"No, I'm not lost," she replied, standing straighter. Suddenly ashamed for feeling guilty, and hoping that Aspen would respect her more for being straight forward with her on this matter, she looked the older girl in the eyes. "I needed to pick up a few things, and I know that Maddy buys her contraception potion from here. When I thought of all the places I could go, this seemed like the best option." Her eyes were bright, steady, and more grown-up looking then they had been a few short months ago.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:15 pm GMT 

There had always been an element of mystery to Rosie that Aspen had enjoyed. She had been a meek little mouse, taking refuge in her books, a few months back. A non-entity in the Cajun girls life. But a cracked window had changed all that. Aspen knew all too well what uncontrolled magic did. Her manifestation had been rife with destruction, a product of the old and wild magic in her blood. This British magic was so controlled, so simple and orderly. The magic that resided in the bayous of Louisiana had its roots in ancient traditions, in rituals, in communion that other cultures still looked askance upon. So when Aspen's magic had started to burst like a river flooding its banks, they had taken advantage. There was a reason Aspen had been an emancipated minor, and it was for the same reason she had come to Hogwarts a year late. So a crack in a window, a ripple in Rosie's pond, had tickled the American's brain more than a little. And now the little mouse wasn't so meek anymore. She was a she-wolf, if a small one. A Loupette.

One dark eyebrow arched, mirroring the way the corner of Aspen's mouth quirked into a smile. "Hmmm. Well, Ah don' t'ink yous heah fo' de same reason, yea? Not dat y'ain't cute enough fo'dat sorta t'ing, Loupette, but dere ain't any ev'dence ta convince me jus' yet."

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:22 pm GMT 

"No, I'm not here for that kind of thing," she assured, blushing a bit. Though, honestly, even if she did believe Aspen, she had no time for it. Rosie took a breath to steel herself, to make sure that it wouldn't come out in a rush like a boy asking for his first kiss. This she wanted stated as calmly and clearly as possible. "I need to purchase, along with the things I've already gathered, two ounces of Veritaserum-grade Jobberknoll feathers and a small amount of Wolfsbane."

Oddly, it didn't bother her as much as it should have, she supposed. Rosemary was the good one, the proper one, the one that could be assured to do the right thing. The least likely of her siblings to be buying dangerous plants and the main ingredient in one of the most ministry-restricted potions there was. But here she stood, back straight and eyes meeting Aspen's bravely. There was a small measure of fear in them. Getting turned away wasn't the worst that could happen. She could get reported for suspicion of illegal brewing.

But she was tired. She was tired of waiting, tired of worrying about every month she was out of school that the potions that the ministry sent her and Caleb would be poorly done and dangerously ineffective. She was going to get her licence, and she was going to get it on her time, not when the Ministry said it was okay, even if she had to kill herself and bend the rules to get it done. She had to be in control of herself because of her tendency to explode things when stressed, or angry, or frustrated. It was harder after she was bitten, but she did it, and did it okay. It was exhausting, especially when she was moonsick and easily irritated, or when she hadn't slept for three days because her body had decided to be nocturnal. She kept enough of a lid on her wild magic, and she wasn't about to let the Ministry destroy that because they decided that they were going to brew Wolfsbane potion on the cheap. She had fully committed to getting through the loopholes so she could control her own potions. And if to take advantage of them, she had to learn how to brew potions that were advanced and generally illegal to those underage and unlicensed, so be it.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:33 pm GMT 

"Do ya now." Aspen was mistress of loaded words, and those three packed a wallop. There could only be one logical explanation for the ingredients requested, given Rosie's condition. Being an apothecary apprentice had given the older girl that knowledge at least. But why dear little Rosie would put herself in danger of arrest, Aspen just wasn't sure. It didn't seem like her Loupette...but that only made the younger girl more interesting. There were few things as uncertain in benefit as the Slytherin's interest, but in Rosie's case it might turn out to be a good thing.

"Butcha need mo' den dat, don' ya?" Aspen asked with a sympathetic cluck of her tongue, "Ya lookin' right beat, ma petite. An' Ah ain't giving' ya de cheap stuff ta help wit' dat!" She tucked the mostly-finished concoction away, pulled her long dark-red hair back with a tie, and rolled up her sleeves. Without a thought of asking Rosie's permission she bustled about the store, plucking ingredients from the shelves. "An' don' ya worry, Ah'm allowed ta use dese. It's de rare stuff Ah gotta pay for." She tossed a wink over her shoulder, grinning. "Ah'll get ya shady, illegal stuff inna minute, ya little degenerate. Lemme make ya a good sleepin' potion first, yea?"

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm GMT 

Rosie stood by, watching Aspen flit around the store, plucking things up with a purpose. She was a bit shocked, well, more than just a bit, really, because she was expecting a flat-out 'No' or some sort of blackmail or something. But Aspen was seemingly more than happy to help. When she called her a little degenerate, she almost sounded...proud of her. It felt nice, in a way. But she didn't let herself think she was getting away with this scott-free. Aspen was smart, and clever, and had Rosie at her mercy. Rosie wouldn't believe she was letting her out of here without something until it happened.

Finding her voice, after what seemed an eternity, Rosie stepped forward and shook her head. "Oh, I think I'm fine," she said. "Its just the way Easter break's messed up my routine, really..." That was a lie and not even a good one. Rosie knew it, and she was sure that Aspen knew it, too. Rosie had been dragging arse since she got back from Christmas Holidays. She had to adjust to a whole new set of instincts and issues, on top of her Prefect duties and the tutoring, and her classes and unofficially tutoring Caleb and Maddy. She would have been tired with that alone. Now, on top of all this she had added the lofty goal of a complicated and lengthy process of getting her licence early. But she refused to give up any of it, and forced herself to adjust.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 pm GMT 

"Don' be stupid," was Aspen's brisk reply as she set the various ingredients on the counter. Pulling on a pair of clear plastic gloves (cross-contamination with other herbs could be disastrous), she about grinding the herbs and roots into a homogeneous powder. After a moment of contemplation, she added a dash of another herb she pulled from a drawer behind the counter. Just a mildly addictive substance. Sure, she was helping Rosie because she was intrigued by her, but who knew if this fascinating creature would ever stop by again? No harm in giving her something to bring her back.

"Ya dead beat, kiddo, Ah kin see't in y'eyes! All droopy an' bagged. Don't do favahs fo' yo' pretty face," she continued as she worked, "An' Ah'm used ta yer attitude, too. All work an' no play. Or, uh, sleep in dis case. So jus' lemme do mah job. It'sa favah fo' bringin' me such a nice so'prise fo' today. Yo transfuhmation into a delinquent, Ah mean." Pouring the powder, enough for two weeks or so of tea, into a bag, she grinned. "Put it in yo' teabags an' drink t'irty minutes befo' bed. Y'll be countin' sheep in a lick."

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm GMT 

Curiosity got the better of her, and Rosie wasn't one to drag an argument out when she knew that she wasn't going to win. Aspen knew, Aspen seemed to see all. So instead, Rosie picked up the bag and looked closely at the substance. "What's in here?" she asked. Not suspicious, not in the least. Just curious, one brewer to another, and Rosie loved to suss out what was in a potion on her own. She thought she could identify a few things that hadn't gotten fully ground up, but until she tasted it, she wouldn't be sure. "I thought I saw you throw some Valerian in, but the other stuff..."

Aware that had her mother been in here--not that it was anywhere near the realm of possibility-- she would have been pinching the back of Rosie's arm and hissing about rude questions, the girl looked up and smiled. It was tired, that smile, but it was also embarrassed. Rosie had been molded by her mother from the beginning to bear all her weight and worry silently and without the support of others. Getting help, letting someone else give the care to you when it was supposed to be the other way around was a reason for shame. But most of all, the smile was one of gratitude. "Thank you, Aspen. I do appreciate it."

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm GMT 

"Hell'f Ah know! Mailen ain't one fo' fo'malized learnin', ya know? S'just 'the bittah, acid-green one' o'de 'twisty, knobbed root' fo' me," Aspen replied with a laugh. It wasn't entirely untrue... Mailen hadn't taught her the names. It didn't mean she didn't know them. "But dere's 'nuff ta knock a wolfling lak ya'self out, widout de drowsiness an' d'irritation an' such. An' a few t'ings ta make it smell an' taste nice, o'course!" It was a deep, earthy smell, the smell of soil sleeping, waiting for spring to stir it once more. "An' ta blend de diff'rent bits. Ah pride ma'self on makin' concoctions dat ain't conspicuous. Y'should pick up some'a mah candles, too."

Plopping on her stool behind the counter and leaning her arms on it, Aspen steered the conversation away from her creation. "But let's talk about de ot'er stuff, eh Loupette? Cain't git requests like dose by me!"

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm GMT 

"I will," she said, and like most of what Rosie said, it was entirely sincecere. Rosie set her basket on the ground by her feet and leaned against the counter, almost getting comfortable. She did like Aspen, when she wasn't putting her cat in an impervious hamster ball. She was an interesting person, and she wasn't just the Girl Who Slept the Entire Gryffindor Team. Still, as comfortable as she was with Aspen right now, she let out a gusty sigh at the question. It was silly to think she'd get out of here with everything she needed and without facing at least a few questions. And she knew she couldn't just shrug them off and mutter something evasive.

"Well..." Rosie started, tugging at the collar of her coat, and then pulling at the bill of her hat, "I'm teaching myself how to brew Veritaserum. It's one of the most common potions they give to people taking their Apothecary Boards. And I want to be prepared. Because I can't afford to fail." She actually looked worried about the prospect of this test, because it was huge for her. If she didn't perform to the absolute top of her abilities, she'd loose her opportunity for another year and a half. "And looking at the recipe in the book is helpful, but I can't learn it, not really, without actually, you know, doing it."

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 pm GMT 

The Mailen in Aspen's head congratulated her apprentice on a concoction well-guessed. As Rosie spoke a slow, predatory grin stretched across the redhead's face. It was a grin Madison would be familiar with, but not necessarily Rosie. This grin had graced the Cajun's face a few times before, and trouble had always ensued. Trouble that couldn't always be linked back to Aspen, but bore her mark of manipulation.

"Ooh, sweet t'ing, Ah love de way y'say 'doin' it'," she teased, sleepy eyes somehow getting even more heavy-lidded, "But Ah digress. Y'teachin' y'self howta brew a potion by doin't illegally. But s'fo' a good cause, innit? O'course s'fo' a good cause! Ma petite Loupette wouldn' do't ot'erwise, yea? So y'come ta mah neck o'de woods lookin' fo' some special ingredients." She traced fantastic shapes on the countertop with a fingernail, sighing. "Wond'rin' mah price, Ah'll bet. Y'don' trust ma goodwill not t'tell, hmm?"

--Woody Allen