THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Lovely Other Dinosaur
 Post subject: Re: Independent Study ((skywishes))
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Lovely Other Dinosaur
Rosie didn't know what sort of look was crossing the other girl's face, but she thought it best to be wary of it, at the very least. She looked like Madison when sabotaging Caleb's date nights. Last time it had been with laxatives, and she had laughed all night. And, while Rosie knew to be polite to Aspen, and more than that Aspen deserved to to be treated nice because she hadn't kicked her out or reported her, which was completely within her rights, she also had the good sense to be honest with her.

"Well, you don't exactly have a re-reputation for being otherwise," she said, quietly, her eyes flicking down to her scuffed white sneakers, before glancing back up at Aspen. "But Maddy trusts you, and that's something, because she doesn't trust easy."

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: That motherfumbler!
That made Aspen laugh, loud and merry. Undoing her the tie on her stained, green apron, she set it aside on the counter. If she and Rosie were going to shoot the shit, she wasn't going to adhere strictly to uniform. Well, Mailen didn't really enforce a uniform, but she requested that employees wear their aprons. Her outfit underneath was very Aspen; a tight white buttondown with the sleeves rolled to the elbows, a short black skirt, and black combat boots. Simple, capable of being respectable but choosing not to be.

"Don' believe everyt'ing ya hear, dahlin'!" she said, snorting back another laugh, "If yer mah friend, den y'ain't got not'ing ta worry 'bout."

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 pm GMT 

Her laugh was pretty. Rosie instinctively smiled at it, and relaxed again when Aspen took the apron off. She felt grubby and slovenly next to the redhead, with her almost too soft jeans and her City Watch tshirt and the Winchester ball cap that was no longer blue but a faded, care-worn brown. She fidgeted with her hat, and leaned more on the counter, one elbow resting and her other hand playing with her bag of sleeping potion. She wondered where she was on Aspen's list. If she were a friend, or not, or someplace in-between because of her relation with Maddy. Though she doubted if that would have any influence on how she treated her. She hoped she was a friend. And not only to save her neck, but because Aspen was smart and witty and while generally more bold than most of her friends, there was nothing wrong with that.

More relaxed, Rosie grinned, her tone friendly and bright and harmless. "Ah, I heard a double negative in there. Does that mean I've got nothing to worry about, or everything to worry about?"

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm GMT 

"Don' be fooled, sweetie-face, dat wuz jus' d'accent. Dis crisp Brit city ain't gonna kill mah nat'ral colloquialisms," Aspen practically purred. More than one Londoner had assumed she was common a Southerner, and had assumed rather more due to that. She hadn't been gentle in setting them straight. For all she resented the people of her childhood, she could never resent where she was really from.

"Anyway...Ah got some mo' questions fo' ya. Such as, do ya know de propah 'andlin' o' dis stuff? Ah ain't got not problem contributin' t'yo' noble cause'n shit, but Ah ain't putting stuff in yo'ands dat y'could git 'urt by. Not wit'out supahvision, anyway."

"I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying."
--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 pm GMT 

Rosie couldn't help it, her feathers got a little rumpled when she was asked that. She knew what she was doing, and just because she was doing this under the table didn't mean she was going to forget her common sense. Or did she already loose that? She didn't know at this point. But the fact of the matter was that she was going to do this as by the book and carefully as she could. "Of course," she replied, and the answer came out sharper than she expected or intended it to be. She looked startled for a moment, that she could be that short with someone who was trying to help.

"Sorry," spilled out of her mouth a second later, and she looked guiltily up at Aspen. "I'm sorry. Just...it startled me, that's all. No one's..no one's worried about that for a while..." Which wasn't the same as 'no one's worried about me', but sometimes it felt like that. Granted, Maddy would often tell her not to get blown up, and Caleb worried constantly, it was less in a 'please don't poison yourself or screw with the safety rules' sort of worry and more a 'quit studying before you have a breakdown and come screw around at the pub with me' sort of worry. "But I do know how to handle the materials properly, and you can test me on it if you'd like." Her smile was earnest and bright and eager; she looked like a kindergartner wanting to show off how she had mastered the art of spelling her name.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm GMT 

For a brief second Aspen's eyes turned sharp and snake-like. The Slytherin in her came out in the open, her lip curling in a silent challenge. Then it was over. She was not a creature to stand by while another disrespected her, but she remained in control and managed to summon back her pleasant face with the ease of breathing. There remained in the corner of her eyes, however, a hint of danger.

"Aww, Loupette, Ah'll worry 'bout ya mo'den 'nuff fo' all dem!" she said with a chuckle. She pulled a stool over, the feet screeching on the floor, and plopped down comfortably with her arms crossed. "But dat wuzn't necessary. Dere's no reason fo' me t'have fait' in d'abilities of an untested 'igh-school student. No'fense, o'course! Yer a real smart gal. But Ah'm trainin' fo' dis shit maself, y'know. Ah kno' how 'ard t'is."

--Woody Allen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm GMT 

"I know, I'm sorry," she replied, leaning her elbows on the counter and resting there. Relaxed, with her shoulders not pulled up and tense, she looked less like the over-worked forty-something that Caleb had been telling her she resembled. And she was relaxed, if a little chastened. Sometimes she forgot that not everyone knew she was capable, and that trust in her capability was to be earned. "And it is hard," Rosie huffed, sliding down on the counter top a few inches more. BUt a second later she was perked back up, a crooked smile on her face and a small spark in her eyes. "But it's so much fun! It's such a challenge. And it never gets old."

She was probably gushing, and on a subject that would have earned an indulgent but blank smile from most of her family, but she couldn't help it, it was fascinating and wonderful and she loved it, aside from her obvious need to get her licence.

That motherfumbler!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm GMT 

"Preachin' to de choir, kiddo," Aspen drawled, smiling at the look in Rosie's eye. "Dere's a reason Ah work'ere, ya know. Ah coulda been workin' wit de owls," another passion of hers; owl rehabilitation. Not that she would ever admit it, she would always say she liked being around dangerous birds, but there was a reason Caligula loved her. "Or at de bar down de street. All kindsa places! But Ah chose dis instead." Eyeing Rosie thoughtfully, that predatory smile crept over her face again. "An' as de senior apot'ecary heah, s'mah duty ta supervise ya. Ah'll give ya de stuff y'need, but only if Ah kin look out fo'yeah. An' some Veritaserum would be nice, too."

--Woody Allen